Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding guest - how to get it right

Options

Comments

Is the bride wearing white?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The dress is too light in colour for a wedding. Teaming it with a long white coat is also a terrible idea. It is all far too pale for a wedding and you will definitely draw the wrong type of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Definitely too "white" for a wedding - any chance you could get it in another colour? Would be a lovely one for any Christmas parties you might have, although I'd be inclined to accessorise with silver rather than gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's a beautiful dress, but I have to agree with the others, it's way too pale and bridal looking. I wouldn't dream of wearing it to a wedding. I see it comes in a darker gold/chocolate colour, could you maybe swap it for that colour?

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-midi-dress-with-batwing-sleeve-and-wrap-waist-in-scatter-sequin/prd/12675241?clr=chocolate&colourWayId=16483280&SearchQuery=midi%20dress%20with%20batwing%20sleeves%20and%20wrap%20waist

ncmc wrote: »
    It's a beautiful dress, but I have to agree with the others, it's way too pale and bridal looking. I wouldn't dream of wearing it to a wedding. I see it comes in a darker gold/chocolate colour, could you maybe swap it for that colour?

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-midi-dress-with-batwing-sleeve-and-wrap-waist-in-scatter-sequin/prd/12675241?clr=chocolate&colourWayId=16483280&SearchQuery=midi%20dress%20with%20batwing%20sleeves%20and%20wrap%20waist

I also noticed it came in this colour - hopefully this is the one that the OP meant to link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I don't think this is too pale for a wedding, esp with the sparkles - but would not wear with a white coat, as that would look more weddingy.

Maybe team with a darker colour and darker shoes/bag to avoid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I won't be getting it in a different color as I have had to have it slightly altered.

I didn't expect people to say it's not a wedding type dress tbh, everyone iv shown thought it was fab.

I'm going with gold because I prefer it to silver, and I feel it gives more of a warmer tone.

I do have a pale baby pink jacket, long, but thought that would be too pale, as is a mint green fur collar jacket.

It's really tricky, I do think I need a strong, dark not too dark one.

Is the bride wearing white?

I presume so.

It is a nice dress, lovely for a wedding if it was in a different colour, but it is too pale in that shade. It is likely to photograph very light and could look quite bridal. Most photos will be taken from the waist up. Do you know the bride well? Maybe run it past her but I would definitely wonder about someone's intentions if they showed up to my wedding wearing something as pale as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I do have a pale baby pink jacket, long, but thought that would be too pale, as is a mint green fur collar jacket.

The mint green sounds lovely, and better than the white you suggested in the OP.

TBH I think it's the white long coat that could cause you problems, not the dress. that dress in no way could be mistaken for a wedding dress but wrapped up in a white long coat for a winter wedding... I'd avoid that.

• Advertisement

I presume so.

Then I would advise against wearing the dress unless the colour is significantly different in real life. I do understand that the website lists it as 'pale gold' and maybe it comes across this way in person? Do consider that you will surely be in photographs as well on the day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

It also comes in a beautiful blue colour too. It's a beautiful dress but I agree with others, the colour is too pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

That chocolatey-winey colourway is totally rich and luscious in appearance: more winter-y, too, in this warmer colour.

The whites and pales can look sort of chilly in cold weather, as well as tactless to the bride.

No offense meant, just my tuppenceworth of personal opinion!

It also comes in a beautiful blue colour too. It's a beautiful dress but I agree with others, the colour is too pale.

I'm not too gone on the blue tbh.

Feck I'm bit bummed that so many think it's too pale.

It does look better when I have tan on. Didn't really think about photo's, like it look fine on the website site, ya there's lightning and that. I won't be in any family photos maybe one or 2, not overly close with the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I do not buy into the 'too pale' argument at all, I think it looks completely fine OP. It looks distinctively different from what would be a 'regular' wedding dress to me.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    That chocolatey-winey colourway is totally rich and luscious in appearance: more winter-y, too, in this warmer colour.

The whites and pales can look sort of chilly in cold weather, as well as tactless to the bride.

No offense meant, just my tuppenceworth of personal opinion!

None taken!

I'm mid twenties, But I think brown is a bit aging looking.....?? More of an older lady color.

I'm not too gone on the blue tbh.

Feck I'm bit bummed that so many think it's too pale.

It does look better when I have tan on. Didn't really think about photo's, like it look fine on the website site, ya there's lightning and that. I won't be in any family photos maybe one or 2, not overly close with the couple.

If you are not overly close with the couple then you should really avoid standing out for the wrong reasons. I was at a wedding where a cousin of the bride wore a cream dress, not weddingy in style but she was the talk of the day in a "who does she think she is" sort of way. It doesn't matter that you won't be in the family pics, you will be there in a bright dress and usually the bride is in the lightest/ most pale dress in the room.

skallywag wrote: »
    I do not buy into the 'too pale' argument at all, I think it looks completely fine OP. It looks distinctively different from what would be a 'regular' wedding dress to me.
    You might not buy into it, but a lot of people do! Just take the replies on this thread as a bench mark, probably 70/80% are saying its too pale. And if anything I think the sparkles make it even more bridal! I think there's a good chance there would be a few eyebrows raised at the wedding if it is as pale in reality as it looks on the website. The OP doesn't know the bride that well, so she doesn't know how she will take it. There are a lot of brides who would be very odd about someone wearing white to their wedding. I'm not saying that's right by the way, but it is just the way things are.

I would re-think it OP if at all possible, you don't want to spend the day worrying about it.

But, if it isn't as pale in reality and is more of a gold colour, then I think the green coat sounds lovely and the gold accessories might bring out the gold in the dress so would stick with that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The colour is fine, it is in no way bridal, don't worry at all. It looks like a party dress. Maybe on all of your screens it's white, but on mine it's a deeper colour, more of a gold / blush.

Can I ask why you want a jacket, is the wedding outdoors? You have long sleeves there.

I'd get a cape, wrap or shawl with that, in a rich contrast colour... rust, plum, or a deep teal.

Gold strappy sandals and your gold clutch would be fab. You could also go plum or magenta there on the accessories to give some colour. Big tassell earrings?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RiceCrispy

Lovely dress but I would take advice of others, wearing that dress to a wedding is a bad idea.

I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of filthy looks from the bride her family and friends. Bride would most likely be offended by a guest arriving in a dress like that.

• Advertisement

Ah guys, she has had it tailored. Simply add colour with strong accessories?

pwurple wrote: »
    Maybe on all of your screens it's white, but on mine it's a deeper colour, more of a gold / blush.

It appears more silver on my phone, I am not seeing gold at all!

The colour is fine, it is in no way bridal, don't worry at all. It looks like a party dress. Maybe on all of your screens it's white, but on mine it's a deeper colour, more of a gold / blush.

Can I ask why you want a jacket, is the wedding outdoors? You have long sleeves there.

I'd get a cape, wrap or shawl with that, in a rich contrast colour... rust, plum, or a deep teal.

Gold strappy sandals and your gold clutch would be fab. You could also go plum or magenta there on the accessories to give some colour. Big tassell earrings?

I was going with a jacket because it's a winter wedding and just wanna be warm.

I actually despise wraps!! I find there's no shape to them and cheapen the outfit. Unless it's like a fur wrap that has some shape to it.

Actually a plum or teal fur wrap might do the job!

It appears more silver on my phone, I am not seeing gold at all!
    Same! Appears off white to me and I'm on a desktop. Though I notice the model is wearing gold shoes so I wonder if it is more gold in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It is nowhere near white.

Take a screengrab and then put it beside a 'white' dress it looks completely different.

I also agree that it has a 'party dress' look about it, and is very far removed from any wedding dress I at least have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

You might not buy into it, but a lot of people do! Just take the replies on this thread as a bench mark, probably 70/80% are saying its too pale. And if anything I think the sparkles make it even more bridal! I think there's a good chance there would be a few eyebrows raised at the wedding if it is as pale in reality as it looks on the website. The OP doesn't know the bride that well, so she doesn't know how she will take it. There are a lot of brides who would be very odd about someone wearing white to their wedding. I'm not saying that's right by the way, but it is just the way things are.

I would re-think it OP if at all possible, you don't want to spend the day worrying about it.

But, if it isn't as pale in reality and is more of a gold colour, then I think the green coat sounds lovely and the gold accessories might bring out the gold in the dress so would stick with that idea.

Also from past experience, clothes have generally been lighter in person than in the photos. Just because they are against a white background under bright lights so it will show up the colour. I can see this dress looking very pale in a dark church or against dark suits etc.

Asos has a good returns policy, I've never had an issue so maybe just order it and see.

I was going with a jacket because it's a winter wedding and just wanna be warm.

I actually despise wraps!! I find there's no shape to them and cheapen the outfit. Unless it's like a fur wrap that has some shape to it.

Actually a plum or teal fur wrap might do the job!

Ahem, excuse your cheek. ;) Cheapens a polyester asos sequin number is it? :D

I wouldn't think a cashmere pashmina would do that, but I guess it depends where you get it? I'm not saying head straight to pennys here.

Yes, I think a strong colour would be good with it.

If the wedding is indoors (as they usually are in winter), you tend to be roasted by a lovely fire and hot toddys rather than cold in my experience.

It's hard for me to describe the color cause it looks the exact same on my phone like it does in person. It's not gold-ish. I think because it's a natural sequence it's hard to describe.

No one in person who saw it has told me it's not a wedding guest dress, and it never came into my head. They literally gushed about it.

The opinion with one lady, with a fairly good eye, who I feel always gets it right, was all for it.

I think I'll forget about a jacket a get a faux fur wrap.

Can anyone recommend a website or shop? Iv checked river island, ASOS, Amazon, Virgo boutique (was a nice red one but not the right shade) and Debahames. No luck so far!

I think capes, shrugs, wraps etc have had their day. I've been to a few winter weddings lately and most people have been wearing dressy coats/jackets. Especially now there is such a great selection of faux fur, teddy bear type coats, I think they're less diddly than wraps or shawls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

teddy bear type coat or faux fur would look lovely with it.
    the dress is georgeous.

i personally dont get the 'bride with her nose out of joint' thing over a dress. havent these women better things to be doing on their wedding day than sulking over someone elses attire?

its a beautiful party style dress.

Advertisement