Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

20 years ago, it used to be my most favourite night out in a certain pub. Lots of singing and drinks. These days, with wife and 2 kids, mass at 5, kids in bed by 730, and something nice on the telly. We do our pressies always the night before, so we exchange something small, then sort out stuff for the morning. M&S vintage cava, movie, then bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

The whole family go to Xmas eve mass, then have a few casuals in the local

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Our Christmas Eve tradition was going down to my parents house in the afternoon, all the family met there , ham Turkey cooking , sneaky ham sandwich before heading home that evening :)

My mam died , we continued the tradition with my da, with my own kids bringing their little ones down to him . I'd cook the Christmas dinner in his house , we'd spend Christmas day with him too:)
    He passed away a few weeks ago , so now we've new traditions to start , which is good too .

So , I'll update after Christmas and let ye know what the new tradition is !

Sorry to hear MO4. We always end up in same thread namely Making a Murderer. I hope the first xmas without your dad is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Commanchie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear MO4. We always end up in same thread namely Making a Murderer. I hope the first xmas without your dad is ok.

Lol re MaM , we're on the same side over there Commanchie , it can get quite heated !

Thank you , it'll be different , but hopefully all good in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Mam comes over and has a few brandys with my missus and we have Christmas Fm on.

Lovely atmosphere.

Pure joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Myself, wife and 2 kids always go into Grafton Street on Christmas Eve, the only exception was 2 years ago, we went in on the 23rd (my Father in law died who died 2 years ago, birthday is Christmas Eve.)
    It used to be quite quiet and you'd have the random "famous" buskers, but the last 3 or 4 years it's been busy as everyone caught onto it. Normally try and pop my head into the church on Johnsons court (lane way halfway down Grafton Street).

My eldest is 15 and youngest is 3, so hopefully it's a tradition I can continue for years on (and hopefully my daughter will do it when she's older also).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

antodeco wrote: »
    Myself, wife and 2 kids always go into Grafton Street on Christmas Eve, the only exception was 2 years ago, we went in on the 23rd (my Father in law died who died 2 years ago, birthday is Christmas Eve.)
    It used to be quite quiet and you'd have the random "famous" buskers, but the last 3 or 4 years it's been busy as everyone caught onto it. Normally try and pop my head into the church on Johnsons court (lane way halfway down Grafton Street).

My eldest is 15 and youngest is 3, so hopefully it's a tradition I can continue for years on (and hopefully my daughter will do it when she's older also).
    I Used to love doing this when I lived in Dublin and heading into the GPO for the Carol singing! St. Theresa’s in Clarendon St is particularly Christmasy!
    Always made sure to pack some small boxes of sweets/ biscuits for the bus drivers and would give them to them getting off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Sundew wrote: »
    Always made sure to pack some small boxes of sweets/ biscuits for the bus drivers and would give them to them getting off!
    That is so thoughtful and heartwarming, Sundew !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

otnomart wrote: »
    That is so thoughtful and heartwarming, Sundew !

Ah thanks Otnomart! I knew a lot of the drivers to see on my regular route so it was always great fun producing the goodies on Christmas Eve!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

antodeco wrote: »

I've been going into town every Christmas eve all my life (I'm 22). So had my mum (she's 46). I don't intend to let this tradition die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

I love all the traditions , this year will be the first spent in our own home , we are trying to make our own traditions now. We will visit our parents that morning, and have the afternoon evening to ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Dickie10 wrote: »
    do many people shut christmas down after st stephens day? i see this becoming the norm now. everything is back to work and routine on the 27th. with people treating new years day as just a bank holiday.

i really think this is terrible. the farming commuinty always have a strange christmas. basically christmas eve is just very like an ordinary saturday of a bank holidy weekend where you are doing a good few jobs so as to be free enough for 25th and 26th. by 27th your pretty much back full whack at it.

i have had a lot of pretty slavery work on christmas eves over the years apart from my own farming i have been power washing yards and stuff for uncles at 5 pm on a christmas eve , it kind of led to be depising the day in many ways . it always seemed to be a an excuse for people slaving you to work like a dog to get meanial jobs done for xmas day.

i dont really know why people fuss so much for one day. years ago i think xmas was seemed to kind of start on xmas eve then end new years day . the days in between were when the xmas feeling really was.

Christmas for us is from 1st November to 26th dec. Doesn't feel the same same at all 27th onwards.

Absolutely love the build up and the big day.

For years now my partner and I have been cooking Christmas Eve dinner for my family. We used to make it in my mams house but for the first time last year we made it in our own house.

It's supposed to give my mam a break before the big day and it's just a nice bit of fun. My brothers would meet friends for pints on Christmas Eve but they always make sure they're home for the dinner. I have to be honest and admit that when I say my partner and I , what I really mean is he cooks an amazing three course meal and I flap about the kitchen trying to help but mostly getting in the way. :D

The best ever of these traditional Christmas Eve dinners was three Christmases ago. We had been trying to buy our house for over a year and tbh at this stage our families had all but assumed it wasn't happening and finally FINALLY we got the keys a few days before Christmas. We said nothing and after dinner on Christmas Eve I said we had news and held up the keys. My mam was so happy for us she actually started crying. They all knew how much we wanted this particular home. So that night we all headed over to it and we showed them around. I remember standing outside the back looking up at the stars with my older brother and feeling so so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We get a chinese and watch Planes, Trains & Automobiles. Might throw Great Outdoors into the mix this year too, another Dan Ackroyd classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

My best mate comes down on Christmas eve with his two boys .So we head into town together plus my son .to look at the lights and get some food .Let the three boys pick out a present .then me and my son heads home to watch the snowman.me and my son's mom Seprated.we take it in turns to keep him on Xmas eve.either way we go to my sister to collect his presents .and either drive him to his mom.or we drive to mine to shower and get ready for bed .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Time to bump one of the best threads on the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Time to bump one of the best threads on the forum :)

Keep meaning to read this from start to finish again but never seem to get the time. One day though, soon!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Keep meaning to read this from start to finish again but never seem to get the time. One day though, soon!

Might take more than a day, 35 pages/ 8 years of stories :eek:

Just flicked back to the first couple of pages and interesting to see some name who are still here 8 years later.

Some real tear jerkers in there as well. Threads like this really make me appreciate how luck I am in certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I've decided to take the day of this year, so looking to start a new set of Christmas Eve daytime traditions.
    Open to suggestions; 3 and 5yr old girls and 2 slightly older elves :)
    We've had the Christmas Eve box with PJ's, reindeer food and a book for last few years, thanks to this thread.
    And cuddling up on couch with fire lot, popcorn (or festive treats if we have something ready), hot chocolate and a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

A little potter around the shops can be nice to get the atmosphere - if you aren't under stress to get a last minute gift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I have a plan for this year (in my head at least) for Christmas eve with the wife and two smallies (will be seven months and nearly three at Xmas). Evening Mass for the music, Indian takeaway, open the Christmas eve boxes with the new pyjamas and leave out food for Santa, New pj's on and get them to bed. Stove lit, watch It's a wonderful life (last year was Die Hard), have a drop or two of nice whiskey. If we've time maybe a board game. The eldest fella was just starting to get the concept last year so hopefully this year he'll really get a lot out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bassfish wrote: »
    I have a plan for this year (in my head at least) for Christmas eve with the wife and two smallies (will be seven months and nearly three at Xmas). Evening Mass for the music, Indian takeaway, open the Christmas eve boxes with the new pyjamas and leave out food for Santa, New pj's on and get them to bed. Stove lit, watch It's a wonderful life (last year was Die Hard), have a drop or two of nice whiskey. If we've time maybe a board game. The eldest fella was just starting to get the concept last year so hopefully this year he'll really get a lot out of it!

Sounds like a really magical evening. I've promised myself I wouldn't spend it putting together bikes/doll houses or some other last minute present however it could well be out of my control!!!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Sounds like a really magical evening. I've promised myself I wouldn't spend it putting together bikes/doll houses or some other last minute present however it could well be out of my control!!!

Santa's under strict instructions to only buy toys with little or no assembly required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sounds absolutely lovely!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sounds absolutely lovely!

Thanks, the wife is telling me I'm being a bit ambitious with the board game so that might wait for Xmas night. Oh and she's demanding we watch Elf :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks, the wife is telling me I'm being a bit ambitious with the board game so that might wait for Xmas night. Oh and she's demanding we watch Elf :D

She is spot on about the board game ye will prob be too wrecked. Relax and enjoy the quiet time haha. Also definitely watch elf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Will be a new experience for me as I'll be spending Christmas with the in-laws in Italy this year. It feels strange knowing I won't be at my parents' house with all the hustle & bustle, but I'll be making sure we have something nice planned! Will still try to bring bits from home, such as listening to the service of Nine Lessons & Carols from King's College Cambridge - Christmas carols are essential for me to get in the mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Just giving this great thread a bump.

My Christmas eve tradition is going into town, just to wander around the shops, and soak in the Christmas atmosphere. I head in with my 2 brothers and my parents. We then head into a pub for a drink on the way home and pick up a takeaway.

I'm 23 and live at home as do my brothers (am the oldest of 3 boys), so my Christmas hasn't changed drastically all my life. I love it. Other Christmas season, but not Christmas eve traditions I've started over the last few years is 1) Going to the same restaurant each year with my family on the 23rd, and one Friday in December, me and my friends go out on a pub crawl. They're great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

God looking through this, I really need to shape up! In the last 5-6 years as my sisters and brothers started having there own children and taking up all there time, I really find the whole xmas eve thing very dull if you just rely on the others to get things going.

Im 36 and single, im farming at home as well so Christmas eve tends to pass me by very quickly as purely an ordinary week day.

Xmas day is just like an ordinary enough sunday now which I don't really like either. Elderly parents have probabably seen more than their share of Christmas days to be overly excited either. neither if them were every overtly Christmassy, sure they took the spirit of the season but kind of seen it as just purely one day in the year and never got the whole hype thing which they kind of passed down to me.

I mean we are the type of house who wouldn't put up the tree until dec 20th. I think you can really lose a lot of xmas magic if your single and childless in your mid 30s, im finding that the last 2 or 3 years. farming leaves you very unchristmassy too because I suppose its like owning a factory that runs 24 hrs 7 days a week, xmas day is the same as every other day if u let it.

I'm not sure what I can do to pt more xmas spirit into the season. I love st Stephens day more than xmas day for watching racing and football though. anyone people agree were becoming a little bit like USA in that were trying to get back to business on dec 27th and new years is becoming a non event.

I actually love new years eve and new years day. one great aspect of not getting overly hyped for xmas is im beginning to look forward January more and more each year as I love watching the evenings get brighter by the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Might not seem like the most obvious movie to go for but for me Muppet Christmas Carol is a must watch.

Advertisement