Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are men older in relationships?

Options
  • 13-11-2019 6:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I've never been sure where this comes from. Things like height, race, and sex are obvious immediate traits to choose whether or not to date someone but age isn't there. It seems in most relationships, men are older and the woman is younger. Despite the stigma of men being predators, I know a few friends my age who are 21 and dating 17-16yr old girls. Not the same at all for women I know. They're either dating men their age or older.

Do people ask about their age when flirting with someone or perhaps are women just more mature and partake in activities that older men are most likely to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Traditionally, It probably originated out of men having proven or established themselves before picking or attracting a partner and/or attempts to optimise chances of gaining an heir (or multiple ones) through picking younger females.

Currently, many females would probably say that it is in order to achieve a balance of emotional maturity within the relationship. :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Women tend to be more advanced than men. They mature mentally quicker, in general.

After that everything just capitulates, but they do get there first in fairness to them.

They also only fancy men who are taller than them, they like to look up to whoever they are kissing. It is a sex thing, it always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I've never been sure where this comes from. Things like height, race, and sex are obvious immediate traits to choose whether or not to date someone but age isn't there. It seems in most relationships, men are older and the woman is younger. Despite the stigma of men being predators, I know a few friends my age who are 21 and dating 17-16yr old girls.

What do you mean by the first sentence? That height, race and sex are often the basis for deciding if you should date someone or not, and age isn't?

Also unsure why you say "despite the stigma of men being predators" then immediately present us with the information that you have male friends in their early 20s dating teenagers. Would seeking out younger and presumably less experienced partners not speak to that very stigma? Not suggesting that your friends are predators, just unsure what you meant by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some women like older men? I think it’s because generally women are more mature than men of a similar age when their in their early 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Some women like older rich men?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Physically men generally age better so a relationship with a younger man will highlight that.

I'm a woman before I'm lynched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

RWCNT wrote: »
    What do you mean by the first sentence? That height, race and sex are often the basis for deciding if you should date someone or not, and age isn't?

I mean they are all the basis however, race, sex, and height are immediately visible to another person. A woman who doesn't want to date a black guy or short guy won't ever get to start dating then find out he's black/short but a woman who wants an older guy might start flirting with a hot guy then realize he's younger than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I've never been sure where this comes from. Things like height, race, and sex are obvious immediate traits to choose whether or not to date someone but age isn't there.

Age is as obvious as any of the rest of those traits? Personal preferences is all, no great mystery to it.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Women tend to be more advanced than men. They mature mentally quicker, in general.

Money, income, security and less chance of an unwanted pregnancy.

Women are not more mature. They are more selfish. Older men are aware of just how messed up and completely unrealiable the average woman is and they use them right back.

It's a far more healthy dynamic than some younger guy being 'in love' with the average woman who'll take pleasure in destroying his hopes, dreams and finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I mean they are all the basis however, race, sex, and height are immediately visible to another person. A woman who doesn't want to date a black guy or short guy won't ever get to start dating then find out he's black/short but a woman who wants an older guy might start flirting with a hot guy then realize he's younger than her.

I suppose there's more room for error than with the other characteristics you mention, but I think people are generally able to guess roughly what age most people are. I'm a lot better at guessing women's age then men's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Women are not more mature. They are more selfish. Older men are aware of just how messed up and completely unrealiable the average woman is and they used them right back.

It's a far more healthy dynamic than some younger guy being 'in love' with the average woman who'll take pleasure in destroying his hopes, dreams and finances.

got ya heart broke did ya?

Personally I find there's less bs with older men. They're less likely to mess around and play games and more likely to be direct about what they want. Less likely to chase for sex and do a disappearing act too IMO, as the urge to sow their wild oats has kinda calmed down and they've got a bit more perspective on what they want in a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Money, income, security and less chance of an unwanted pregnancy.

Women are not more mature. They are more selfish. Older men are aware of just how messed up and completely unrealiable the average woman is and they use them right back.

:D:D:D

Seriously though I know a good therapist who might be able to help you with that problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I think a big part of it as well is that men are encouraged to sow their wild oats in their younger years, whereas it's considered shameful if a young woman wanted to do the same.

My daughter introduced me to the term "roastie," recently. A roastie is supposed to be a woman who decides to settle down after years of perceived promiscuity, apparently worn out from years of hosting multiple anonymous sexual partners. There's no equivalent term for shaming men with similar habits, none with the same weight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Men with their millions of spermatozoa, spend their younger years scattering seed far and wide, kind of blanket bombing.
    In their wiser years, they narrow the field for better accuracy and worthwhile results.

Meanwhile, women, having only one chance to reproduce a month, and spending much longer in the process, are more discerning in their search for a lasting mate who has more to recommend him than merely millions of spermatozoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Men are younger mentally.

When it comes to men I don't care what age they are once they have a big dick and they know how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Men are younger mentally.

Or men are just mentaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Why is there a race to generalise?

The demographics of relationships, marriage and even singleton life are more in flux now than ever before in western cultures.

The usual cull of the male population that was endemic in Europe on an @20year cycle with large scale warfare hasn't hit the male population for the last 3 generations in the way it has for the previous entirety of recorded history.

There hasn't been a large scale conflict in Europe for 70yrs.
    Couple that with the ever dwindling number of occupational death and the ratio of males aged 16-40 competing for female companionship is likely higher than at any time in European history.

Is the lack of conflict driving a sea change in the dating scene?

Even odder is the move towards swipe and Shag.
    I haven't been lucky enough to enjoy the joys of the tinder buzz ;)
    But from the outside looking at some peers in that scene, it is an introverts dream.
    Quite a few people I know are in app fúck buddy situations.

I'm a toyboy ;) so I can't really comment on the men being "older" premise.
    I would say that in addition to usual status markers of position, power and wealth.
    The fact that with rising populations and declining conflict to whittle away the chaff and provide glory and fame...
    Maybe age is becoming an attribute that women value as "experience"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭amacca

eviltwin wrote: »
    When it comes to men I don't care what age they are once they have a big dick and they know how to use it.

Bigus Dickus at your service....I **** as high as any in Wome!

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »

Idrus Elbus you mean

amacca wrote: »

Pics to my inbox :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The women know which side their bread is buttered, why go with a young lad in his early 20s just starting out in his career, no house, nights out with the lads and little interest in settling down for a good few years.
    Compare that to a lad in his late 20s or early 30s, foot on the property ladder, job prospects, all his riding done and ready to settle down, its a no brainer for the little women

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i had a younger girlfriend for while when i was in my early 20's. can't remember but think she was about 17, i might have been about 22

to be honest, she did my head in so it didn't last!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The women know which side their bread is buttered, why go with a young lad in his early 20s just starting out in his career, no house, nights out with the lads and little interest in settling down for a good few years.
    Compare that to a lad in his late 20s or early 30s, foot on the property ladder, job prospects, all his riding done and ready to settle down, its a no brainer for the little women

Hold up!
    Are you saying 1 may not have their cake?
    And eat some biscuits too!

I am appalled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You must have a really big fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Pics to my inbox :cool:

jaysus don't open your inbox in the company of your hubby tonight

though, maybe you are into that kind of thing! :cool:

Seve OB wrote: »
    jaysus don't open your inbox in the company of your hubby tonight

though, maybe you are into that kind of thing! :cool:

It’s Divock Origi with the european cup

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I think a big part of it as well is that men are encouraged to sow their wild oats in their younger years, whereas it's considered shameful if a young woman wanted to do the same.

I don't ever remember anyone encouraging me to sow my wild oats, quite the opposite. Didn't change me wanting to do it though.

• Advertisement

You must have a really big fanny

I'd say average enough but I wasn't referring to vaginal sex ;)

Advertisement