Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Ulster match thread, Sat 9th Nov 5:15pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Didn’t see the game tonight, but I thought one of Faddes main attributes was supposed to be his pace? I know a lot of players need a season to settle and become accustomed to defensive systems, so I’m still hopeful Faddes can become a decent signing, but it‘s strange that he‘s known for his speed in the Southern Hemisphere and seems pedestrian here.
    Unless the pitch was like a swimming pool tonight!

It appeared to be pretty boggy alright. Conway's break looked slow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As a game that was a bit of a mess. Big collisions and lots of effort, but so many basic errors at the set piece and handling errors. It's a hallmark of Leinsters that whatever side they have on the pitch looks extremely well drilled and comfortable in how they play. Neither Ulster or Munster look that comfortable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Didn’t see the game tonight, but I thought one of Faddes main attributes was supposed to be his pace? I know a lot of players need a season to settle and become accustomed to defensive systems, so I’m still hopeful Faddes can become a decent signing, but it‘s strange that he‘s known for his speed in the Southern Hemisphere and seems pedestrian here.

He best qualities were never his pace. For the Highlanders he was an elusive runner and hit great lines at the right time, none of which we're seeing here. He had a long term injury around a year ago iirc, and hasn't looked quite up to speed since.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Balacoune was on the bench tonight, right?

I'd have had Faddes off asap, Stockdale back to full back and Balacoune on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree with moving Stockdale to 15. He could be a devastating counterattacker. But right now he is in pretty poor form as well. Don't think he's had a good 2019. Maybe a positional change could give him a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    I agree with moving Stockdale to 15. He could be a devastating counterattacker. But right now he is in pretty poor form as well. Don't think he's had a good 2019. Maybe a positional change could give him a boost.

He was doing ok towards the end of last season but just doesn’t look himself this year

He had a poor World Cup and confidence probably took a bashing, he has said before he likes to play 15 but if Ireland see him long term on the wing I don’t see much point putting him at 15

I don't mean moving him to full back permanently. I just meant during today's game, when it was clear Faddes was stinking the place out.

The bashing of Faddes remind me of some people last year about Tomane

The guys has moved to a new country, I would guess has family to move over as well, coming to a whole new club and new style of rugby....it might be worth giving him a small bit of a break.....

He wasn’t utterly awful this evening which you would think based on the comments.....if memory serves me right he had a good few games at the start and people said he looked good?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The guys has moved to a new country, I would guess has family to move over as well, coming to a whole new club and new style of rugby....it might be worth giving him a small bit of a break.....

He wasn’t utterly awful this evening which you would think based on the comments.....if memory serves me right he had a good few games at the start and people said he looked good?

Leinster have a huge squad so can absorb their NIQs taking a year to sort themselves out.

The other provinces don't have the luxury of it, our NIQs need to hit the ground running and improve the team.

leakyboots wrote: »
    You're obviously not in the stadium

North and South terraces blocked off. East stand has lots of empty seats.

14436 for an interpro is terrible what ever way you look at it. 11166 empty seats. 56.4% attendance. I’ll say it again lots of empty seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

North and South terraces blocked off. East stand has lots of empty seats.

14436 for an interpro is terrible what ever way you look at it. 11166 empty seats. 56.4% attendance. I’ll say it again lots of empty seats.

Using percentages is a bit redundant considering it's the biggest ground of all the provinces.

awec wrote: »
    Leinster have a huge squad so can absorb their NIQs taking a year to sort themselves out.

The other provinces don't have the luxury of it, our NIQs need to hit the ground running and improve the team.

How many games have Ulster played this season so far? hardly taking the year off

Last year Ulster got ass's handed to them in Munster. This year they come away with a bonus point and could of lost. I would take the positive. Faddes wasn't as bad as people are making out

It is only redundant if you don’t want to admit that a stadium nearly half empty isn’t a good thing. Next to playing in Europe interprovincial matches should be filling grounds to more than 56%.

I’ve raised the subject before and people have tried to brush it off by claiming “river festivals” and “communions” have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Quite a few U fans have praised some of his nice touches but he has been misfiring from and including the first warm up game and that has been called out from that first game. Bearing in mind he is at present definitely not better than local alternatives I hope you're right and he sorts himself out asap.

Compare him to Munster getting SA 12... At least if we sign someone he should be head and shoulders over the local talent. He isn't. We are entitled to grumble I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It is only redundant if you don’t want to admit that a stadium nearly half empty isn’t a good thing. Next to playing in Europe interprovincial matches should be filling grounds to more than 56%.

I’ve raised the subject before and people have tried to brush it off by claiming “river festivals” and “communions” have an impact.

The ground is too big. 14,400 is a good attendance any day of the week. Get over yourself.

Are the other sides doing this? I've been to plenty games at the RDS at less than 50%, I can't speak for Galway or Belfast. There's far too much focus on Munster's attendance compared to the other provinces.

The Pro14 isn't a great product. Munster do quite well every regular season without overextending themselves in terms of use of international players. The geographical nature of the league also prevents meaningful attendance from visiting teams. Bar Sale and Exeter, numerous Premiership teams are close and accessible to each other.

The "communions" was one occasion mentioned by Ryle Nugent in 2011. It's mostly used ironically on here.
    RiverFest is a big event. I don't know what else to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Thought the Ulster no.15 was very poor, in general I thought were a better team tonight, the new lock for Ulster looks a very good signing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster have biggest stadium by quite a distance. That attendance is quite good.
    River fest does have major impact on games that clash with it. Communions was mentioned once on TV and affects maybe at max 1 game a year.
    The stadium is possibly too big for majority of games but fine for biggest of games. It's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Thing is, that's an incredibly unrealistic expectation. Even Isa, one of the best imports that the country has ever seen, took time to bed in. I cant really comment on Faddes as I havent seen a huge amount of him, but as long as he is showing some sort of improvements with game time then that's all you can really ask at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't mean moving him to full back permanently. I just meant during today's game, when it was clear Faddes was stinking the place out.

Stockdale was stinking the place out as well

However the general point that Faddes has yet to impress is a fair one.

On form I'd go for a back three of Lyttle and Gilroy on the wing and Ludik at 15 against Bath. Not going to happen obviously. Stockdale will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah. Go down the line and go for the TBP while running time off the clock..

Not at all. The game was in the balance. A win takes precedence over everything and Munster didn't have that in the bag (and nearly lost it thereafter). You go for the sticks and you're likely to have a 70% shot at points or normally the ball being kicked back to you. You can kill the clock then if you want. It's by far the more sensible percentage play. Go to the corner and you have zero points and a contestable ball.

Supporters eyes are always bigger than their bellies. You take the win when it's on offer and the kick when put on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Im not sure what you are getting at here... given the huge differences in population, Leinster averaged 5k more per game in the pro 14 than Munster and that was with one extra game and the use of the Aviva.

You can read anything into any stat you want.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

twinytwo wrote: »
    Im not sure what you are getting at here... given the huge differences in population, Leinster averaged 5k more per game in the pro 14 than Munster and that was with one extra game and the use of the Aviva.

You can read anything into any stat you want.....

Also for geographical reasons, Limerick itself doesn't have the numbers to fill the stadium so has to rely on travelling support, although I do believe there are a lot of 'fair weather' fans who only turn up for the big games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't think either team looked great here, might be just the internationals coming back in and both teams still missing a few but thought it was a fairly low quality affair.

Buer wrote: »
    Not at all. The game was in the balance. A win takes precedence over everything and Munster didn't have that in the bag (and nearly lost it thereafter). You go for the sticks and you're likely to have a 70% shot at points or normally the ball being kicked back to you. You can kill the clock then if you want. It's by far the more sensible percentage play. Go to the corner and you have zero points and a contestable ball.

Supporters eyes are always bigger than their bellies. You take the win when it's on offer and the kick when put on a plate.

You clearly lack pashun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Here was the view from the West Terrace. The East Terrace is nearly full and there's a pretty good attendance in the East Stand I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Here was the view from the West Terrace. The East Terrace is nearly full and there's a pretty good attendance in the East Stand I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

leakyboots wrote: »
    OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAqwcqe7XUm1Aug8qSdKw4JM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

FWIW we're just after RWC and season only beginning to gain any momentum, so 14,000 + attendance isn't too bad. Think Champions Cup will ramp up the interest and I expect PRo 14 attendances to improve for all the teams after first 2 rounds of European games. Anyone know what last season's corresponding game attracted?

• Advertisement

FWIW we're just after RWC and season only beginning to gain any momentum, so 14,000 + attendance isn't too bad. Anyone know what last season's corresponding game attracted?

Man and a dog, man was from cork but dog was local

Advertisement