Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maia is just class. Some great grappling and escapes on the ground from both fighters in that one. Even though it didn't last three rounds it was the fight of the night for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Funky's ufc career is not looking so hot at the moment. A "controversial" win against Robbie, then goes down in history as the fastest guy to get knocked out in ufc history and now choked unconscious by DM.

Really enjoyed that fight and delighted for Maia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Epic from Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Why did Askren call Maia out? Dreadful matchup for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I thought he was winning the fight up to the point he got choked out. He was a minute away from getting the W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Pighead wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I thought he was winning the fight up to the point he got choked out. He was a minute away from getting the W.

It was a 5 round fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Pighead wrote: »

Wha? They were only in the third round. Maia was up 2 rounds. Every time they grappled Maia was getting the better of him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭The White Feather

That was a fairly even fight. I thought Maia was the more tired fighter but then it was Askren! Askren showed he is too easily hit and just tries to blunder his way to being on top. That doesn't work against higher level guys.

Then when he was on top, Maia was brilliant with sweeps so Askren couldn't get his usual game going.

Good fight to end a poor card in my view anyway

https://twitter.com/Benaskren/status/1188113750492172288?s=20

Was the bad decision fighting Maia? Not sure what was the decision he means

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wha? They were only in the third round. Maia was up 2 rounds. Every time they grappled Maia was getting the better of him
    Ah thought I read somewhere that it was only a three rounder. Was wondering why a main eventer wasn't five rounds!

I thought Maia was winning the first but I gave it to Askren when he got the takedown and had control for the final minute. Thought the second round was clearly Askrens and thought he was winning the third as well up until Maia got his back. Hard to see where Ben goes from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was the bad decision fighting Maia? Not sure what was the decision he means

Maybe the decision to give up his back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I agree. Was excited to see it but hated the matchup for Ben.

I gave Ben both rounds.

I see the judges gave Maia round 1 and Askren round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The Nal wrote: »
    Maybe the decision to give up his back?
    Ya I think that's what he meant too. Don't think he was expecting Maia to be able to slap on the body lock like that. And the way he shot that arm in for the choke was slick.
    Askren looked strangely lost when Maia had top position. He let him take that full mount without a fight. Think he did it in one of the earlier rounds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

xckjoo wrote: »
    Askren looked strangely lost when Maia had top position. He let him take that full mount without a fight. Think he did it in one of the earlier rounds too.

Askren's game is based predominantly around top control. Wrestlers aren't known for working off their back.

Regarding giving up mount without a fight, Maia's transitions are not only on a different planet, they're on a different astral plane. His transition from omoplata to top mount was beautiful.

His bottom butterfly sweep off of Askren's single Leo, into a heel hook attack that allowed him to sit up into mount, just fantastic.

I don't think that Askren was prepared for somebody to have the transitional sweep ability that Maia has

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed the fight, feel bad for Ben, 1st fight controversial, 2nd fight was a bit of a freak thing (not to take away from Masvidal either) and the Maia fight was competitive but a nightmare match up for him.

Also felt bad for Michael Johnson. He's one of those fighters that is genuinely better than his record suggests.

cletus wrote: »
    Askren's game is based predominantly around top control. Wrestlers aren't known for working off their back.

Regarding giving up mount without a fight, Maia's transitions are not only on a different planet, they're on a different astral plane. His transition from omoplata to top mount was beautiful.

His bottom butterfly sweep off of Askren's single Leo, into a heel hook attack that allowed him to sit up into mount, just fantastic.

I don't think that Askren was prepared for somebody to have the transitional sweep ability that Maia has

Ya the sweeps were great and the use of submission threats to get the sweeps were a master class (definitely stealing some ideas from that for myself), but I'm more talking about when Maia was moving into full mount. Askren didn't seem to make any attempt to stop him, trap legs, or regain guard. I know he's a wrestler, but it's not like he hasn't trained and studied BJJ. It seemed like he was happy to give up full mount. Would need to watch the fight again, but I seem to remember it happening a few times. Maybe there was a plan there that didn't work out, or maybe he was just tired by then and got sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’d say it was more a case of Maia making it look like Ben was doing nothing.
    The choke at the end was very strange. Very odd grip. Was surprised Ben tapped, let alone went out.

Mellor wrote: »
    I’d say it was more a case of Maia making it look like Ben was doing nothing.
    The choke at the end was very strange. Very odd grip. Was surprised Ben tapped, let alone went out.

That second hand isn't needed to finish the choke if you've got the first one in right. Guess that's obvious from this fight though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xckjoo wrote: »
    That second hand isn't needed to finish the choke if you've got the first one in right. Guess that's obvious from this fight though :D
    It’s possible to finish it entirely with one arm but that was very different.

A typical one arm RNC you grab your own shoulder. Maia was grabbing Ben shoulder. I don’t think there was a choke on at that point.
    But he reached across and grabbed his choking elbow, while locking off the other hand and slipping it behind. Very odd but amazing set up.
    Askren even grabbed Maia’s right arm towards the but it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I saw an image yesterday showing Askren 2 seconds after the fight had been stopped, that side of his neck and front of chest was still totally white from the pressure of that choke.

We need a UFC244 thread .

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s possible to finish it entirely with one arm but that was very different.

A typical one arm RNC you grab your own shoulder. Maia was grabbing Ben shoulder. I don’t think there was a choke on at that point.
    But he reached across and grabbed his choking elbow, while locking off the other hand and slipping it behind. Very odd but amazing set up.
    Askren even grabbed Maia’s right arm towards the but it was too late.

If you get your hand deep around the opponents neck and apply a squeeze rather than a pull you should get the tap. Working from memory but I think that's what Maia did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looking forward to Zabit at the weekend. Main card starting at 7pm Irish time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

UFC Moscow early prelims have started.

This has been pretty poor so far. First 3 fights all gone the distance and the action has been low in volume in each of them.

Khabibs cousin tapped to a triangle and Conor has been tweeting away about it

Russian fighters have gone 0-4 so far but now its a fight between 2 Russians!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

What a front kick and finish Ankalaev!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wow what a KO by Roberts

Sweet crisp strike alright. Timed beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Is Mc Gregor there? If not why not?

Advertisement