Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock for catalytic converter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Doesn't matter, locks, deterrents are futile. The people don't give a crap and are pretty much a law unto themselves. If they can't unbolt the cat they will cut it out.

They're already using angle grinders to cut them out. But if there's something in the way that turns a 3 minute job to 10-20 minutes, they won't bother. These are being stolen in broad daylight in public carparks or roadsides in urban areas - they don't want to hang around.

It's the same way my laptop at my desk at work is locked to the desk with a cable. Sure the cable can be cut, desk could be disassembled, etc. - but it turns an easy job into a job that actually requires effort, time and tools.

They're deterrents, and that's how deterrents work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Whocare

Is only petrol cars that are targeted

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Whocare wrote: »
    Is only petrol cars that are targeted

No diesels with easy access to catalytic converters are targeted too especially Hiaces and Hilux's

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

An idea to prevent or deter a (or another) theft would maybe get a wide flat steel plate welded to the bottom of the exhaust pipe . This reduces access and increases the cutting time . Unfortunately with battery grinders or reciprocating saws at hand the only chance is to deter them , restrict their access or increase the time spent cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to look into some of the options.
    I called my local Toyota they said they don't do them and don't know where does. I emailed Toyota too and they just sent me a generic, contact your local dealership message

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

They're already using angle grinders to cut them out. But if there's something in the way that turns a 3 minute job to 10-20 minutes, they won't bother. These are being stolen in broad daylight in public carparks or roadsides in urban areas - they don't want to hang around.

It's the same way my laptop at my desk at work is locked to the desk with a cable. Sure the cable can be cut, desk could be disassembled, etc. - but it turns an easy job into a job that actually requires effort, time and tools.

They're deterrents, and that's how deterrents work.
    dkd21 wrote: »
    An idea to prevent or deter a (or another) theft would maybe get a wide flat steel plate welded to the bottom of the exhaust pipe . This reduces access and increases the cutting time . Unfortunately with battery grinders or reciprocating saws at hand the only chance is to deter them , restrict their access or increase the time spent cutting

You are missing my point. They wouldn't care. If they can't dismantle or cut it wouldn't take them 2 minutes to take a tow chain out of the back of the van, loop it around the cat/exhaust, take off in the van and yank the whole exhaust off of the car. Then a fella waiting with the consaw at the ready will have the section with the cat gone in 30 seconds. Chain and cat into the van and gone.

Meanwhile you car is literally torn to bits which god only knows what damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

You are missing my point. They wouldn't care. If they can't dismantle or cut it wouldn't take them 2 minutes to take a tow chain out of the back of the van, loop it around the cat/exhaust, take off in the van and yank the whole exhaust off of the car. Then a fella waiting with the consaw at the ready will have the section with the cat gone in 30 seconds. Chain and cat into the van and gone.

Meanwhile you car is literally torn to bits which god only knows what damage done.

Pretty sure that would look a little suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

redcup342 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that would look a little suspicious.

You'd be surprised with what a high viz and a barrier will allow you to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Looks suspicious?
    They don't care less. All probably with 40 or 50 convictions already and they know gardai will take some time to come to the scene if they even show up at all. You might say a neighbour or the owner would pursue them - they would likely be confronted with slash hooks. they have no fear because they will most likely get away with it no matter what they do.

Even if you get the reg plate of the van it is likley false or from a scrapped van or some other fiddle. No tax, insurance, nct and probably no licence to drive it either. No one owns the van and the driver from no-fixed abode. They have their tracks well covered by default and they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah it's gone crazy. My friends was stolen recently. Guards said she was one of many reported that week. She has to get a new car because Toyota told her they have a backlog and she'd be waiting months for a new one

Try Whelans breakers yard in Laois. You can email them. It's all computerised. They are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The only deterrent is to fit air bag suspension on your car and park it with the suspension dropped onto the wheels, either that or park on top of an oil slick or pile of Shiite as they won’t want to get their good tracksuits dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Mine stolen from my Yaris at 1930 in Ben Dunne gyms Northwood today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Mine stolen from my Yaris at 1930 in Ben Dunne gyms Northwood today.

What year and was it hybrid?

What year and was it hybrid?

2001 & no a thoroughbred petrol guzzling yaris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭granturismo

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to look into some of the options.
    I called my local Toyota they said they don't do them and don't know where does. I emailed Toyota too and they just sent me a generic, contact your local dealership message

I hate when posters start 'I think' but I think I heard that Toyota NI fit a guard. A work colleague got one fitted on a prius up there and also got a tilt alarm fitted if the scum decide to jack the car up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, Toyota GB sell them: https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

Toyota Ireland do not.

Guards said they won’t be able to catch car that took mine and were hesitant to even go the gym in Northwood to get CCTV.

5 reported in last 2 days.

I’ll be buying proper dash cam and do rounds myself of car parks to see if I can catch anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Guards said they won’t be able to catch car that took mine and were hesitant to even go the gym in Northwood to get CCTV.

I’ll be buying proper dash cam and do rounds myself of car parks to see if I can catch anyone.

You can ask for the the number of your complaint and then ask to speak to the sergeant to push your case. Sometimes thats what it takes. They do play a resource game and will push off any investigation possible if they can get away with it. not that i blame them theyve a tough job. But tbh thats not an excuse for ignoring this sort of crime. its wide spread and its probably only a small group. If caught it stops it cold. (for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

If I saw them in action stealing one I'd love to have the balls to 'accidentally' tip off the car if I was driving by and maybe it might come off the jack. Would serve them right.
    No one else is doing anything to stop them so the problem is going to get worse I'd say.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    If I saw them in action stealing one I'd love to have the balls to 'accidentally' tip off the car if I was driving by and maybe it might come off the jack. Would serve them right.
    No one else is doing anything to stop them so the problem is going to get worse I'd say.

I had to ring guards 3 times, giving details 3 times, only to be told there would be no point as they're travelling gangs who change the regs of stolen cars.

If you or I lowered the car, we'd be before Ms Justice Reynolds with an attempted murder charge whereas they can take our hard earned money without any possible legal retribution.

What do you do when the system is broken?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unfortunately F I have found the Guards about as much use as tits on a bull when it comes to crimes against property. Oh and that's not a recent thing either, but it has gotten worse. Even if you did secure video I reckon eff all would happen or be done about it. My only angle on this would be to see if you can get a lock/guard for your catalytic converter and/or a tilt sensor for your alarm.*

Secondly, and I suspect this will actually have more impact, is to stop frequenting known bad car parks and the like, when business drops and it starts to cost money then maybe they'll attempt to protect their wallets, sorry customers. There are a number of car parks, shopping centres and other places I just won't go to because of the level of car crime going on. Anywhere they think a large number of people are going to be gone for some time will be prime hunting grounds for the thieving scum. Cinemas, gyms and the like. That so many places refuse to patrol and attempt to secure their customer's cars property and fob people off with a sign that says "Not our problem chief" is a bloody scandal, so if at all possible don't give them your hard earned.

*though I suspect that would be hard to add to the manufacturer's system? I have tilt and a few other sensors proximity and the like, but mine's a third party system on an old car, which makes that kinda thing easier.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

travelling gangs
    "Travelling gangs". I do love the euphemisms...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Unfortunately F I have found the Guards about as much use as tits on a bull when it comes to crimes against property. Oh and that's not a recent thing either, but it has gotten worse. Even if you did secure video I reckon eff all would happen or be done about it. My only angle on this would be to see if you can get a lock/guard for your catalytic converter and/or a tilt sensor for your alarm.*

Secondly, and I suspect this will actually have more impact, is to stop frequenting known bad car parks and the like, when business drops and it starts to cost money then maybe they'll attempt to protect their wallets, sorry customers. There are a number of car parks, shopping centres and other places I just won't go to because of the level of car crime going on. Anywhere they think a large number of people are going to be gone for some time will be prime hunting grounds for the thieving scum. Cinemas, gyms and the like. That so many places refuse to patrol and attempt to secure their customer's cars property and fob people off with a sign that says "Not our problem chief" is a bloody scandal, so if at all possible don't give them your hard earned.

*though I suspect that would be hard to add to the manufacturer's system? I have tilt and a few other sensors proximity and the like, but mine's a third party system on an old car, which makes that kinda thing easier.

My intention to secure the footage, is to use footage to do what the guards can't do and I won't incriminate myself further. :p

BD Gyms haven't done much, they'll wait for eventual request which probably won't come. I'll annoy them with a GDPR request for all CCTV of me leaving car and entering car, that'll p*ss them off any hopefully they might offer me something to stop.

Will screw their social media too with pictures.

I wouldn't mind but typically I park with the tow hitch on the yaris right up against the curb by the door of the gym, under floodlights.

It was just too busy and i'd to park away from footfall area.

What's a euphemism boss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Travelling gangs". I do love the euphemisms...

Travelling gangs are cleaning up out of catalytic converters , add this to their weekly unquestioned welfare , annual personal injury claim and dealing cocaine , burgularies their becoming the new rich of this country .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Locks aren't the true solutions, tackling the root cause is. Put enough of pressure on these scum by constant state intimidation that they fcuk off out of the country, maybe off to their scum relatives traveling around the UK.

But as we all know that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

@Fionnk86, really sorry to hear about your car 😔.
    Thanks for the advice regarding Toyota GB. I am going to ring one of the toyotas in the North tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

@Fionnk86, really sorry to hear about your car 😔.
    Thanks for the advice regarding Toyota GB. I am going to ring one of the toyotas in the North tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Do try scrap yards, and try have lock made up with your VIN on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/theft-of-catalytic-converters-from-cars-quite-common-1.3989994

You can see it can happen twice.

I can only hope that the more society becomes web-based & data is collected, that these cavemen will be forced to coexist with us and operate IAW the law.

The system of station policing is cumbersome and antiquated, we need a judicial revolution to take advantage of The Information Age, not fall victim to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My intention to secure the footage, is to use footage to do what the guards can't do and I won't incriminate myself further. :p

BD Gyms haven't done much, they'll wait for eventual request which probably won't come. I'll annoy them with a GDPR request for all CCTV of me leaving car and entering car, that'll p*ss them off any hopefully they might offer me something to stop.

Will screw their social media too with pictures.

I wouldn't mind but typically I park with the tow hitch on the yaris right up against the curb by the door of the gym, under floodlights.

It was just too busy and i'd to park away from footfall area.

What's a euphemism boss?

They would have to redact the person stealing the cat from your car and every other thing on the CCTV bar you and your car. You can't have the data of anyone else who was there at the time and very few businesses have the capacity to do the required redaction, which is why CCTV is only given to the Gardai.

Buisness can do nothing about this. They can hardly do anything about shp lifters caught in the act, what can they do about people driving around stealing from their car parks?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    They would have to redact the person stealing the cat from your car and every other thing on the CCTV bar you and your car. You can't have the data of anyone else who was there at the time and very few businesses have the capacity to do the required redaction, which is why CCTV is only given to the Gardai.

Buisness can do nothing about this. They can hardly do anything about shp lifters caught in the act, what can they do about people driving around stealing from their car parks?

That’s fine, I’ll be entitled to my own.

BD have put signage up regarding non-paying customers in the car park, they have a barrier on exit. They should make the barrier scan the pass, the same way paying customers need to scan in and out.

Everyone has a responsibility to do something to combat crime, the victim, the police and anybody who may have witnessed it. (Including CCTV)

Why not pay someone to patrol it and do odd jobs, such as move non-paying customers on?

They do it Blanchardstown, why not Northwood.

I simply don’t buy this Pontius pilate attitude that Irish business are just trying to make a living and why should I bother them, if someone came looking for my dash cam footage, I’d provide it with a moments notice having read the reg.

Advertisement