Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of visiting a GP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

A lump is cancer until it is determined beyond reasonable doubt not to be.

It's not though. You could as easily say a cough is cancer or a headache is meningitis or a fever is malaria unless proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

That’s a very dangerous attitude by the GPs; there is a post on boards about this very thing where a lump was ignored by doctors until it was too late. One needs to be very forthright with doctors like this and “bully” them into investigating. A lump is cancer until it is determined beyond reasonable doubt not to be.

The problem is, on that occasion, the GP made me feel embarrassed for going and paying my €60 and wasting everyone’s time. The GP is supposed to know better and I seem to lack confidence in situations like this. I couldn’t say “but there is a freaking brochure outside of your very office saying you need to always check on lumps!”. I bit my tongue, even laughed with embarrassment and said thanks and bye... Luckily the lump disappeared in its own after a year or so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why couldn't you say that?
    One thing I learned during and after having my first baby is to speak up with medical people no matter how stupid you feel.Sometimes it can be an attitude problem, sometimes it's just that they are way over-worked and understaffed, but quite often they can be very dismissive when they are being paid not to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The problem is, on that occasion, the GP made me feel embarrassed for going and paying my €60 and wasting everyone’s time. The GP is supposed to know better and I seem to lack confidence in situations like this. I couldn’t say “but there is a freaking brochure outside of your very office saying you need to always check on lumps!â€. I bit my tongue, even laughed with embarrassment and said thanks and bye... Luckily the lump disappeared in its own after a year or so
    We shouldn't settle for poor service from any professional. If your hairdresser made a balls of your haircut, you wouldn't go back to the same person again. Yet we keep going back to the same GP just because they're a doctor.

I would find someone else if i wasn't happy, if you can find a practice that is taking new patients that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

My wife has had no good experiences with the Irish healthcare system. Maternity, emergency and GP services have all been poor and she's been left with lifelong problems from the maternity side.
    I think everyone should pay something for visiting a GP but GPs offer little if you've anything beyond the routine.
    Our whole healthcare system is archaic, GPs and hospitals can't even share data with each other electronically, still sending letters in the post.
    So many problems and the GP system is just one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

steves2 wrote: »
    My wife has had no good experiences with the Irish healthcare system. Maternity, emergency and GP services have all been poor and she's been left with lifelong problems from the maternity side.
    I think everyone should pay something for visiting a GP but GPs offer little if you've anything beyond the routine.
    Our whole healthcare system is archaic, GPs and hospitals can't even share data with each other electronically, still sending letters in the post.
    So many problems and the GP system is just one.

Was in Scotland last week and reading the Times, people have actually gone blind waiting for Glaucoma operation. Several other problems with health service. We certainly are not alone with our problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Anyone who even so much as thinks that Irish 'healthcare' (or lack of) is any good, has something wrong with their brain.

Its only getting worse and worse, too.

Understaffed, underfunded, over crowded.

People dying as a result. My grandfather was misdiagnosed with 'parkinsons' and prescribed medication for it also, turns out it was fluid in his brain (which can be pretty serious if left alone) you can have seizures and then die etc

Yet it's just constant following up, and excuses, and pushbacks.

And he has private health care! Nowadays the whole system is so messed up it doesn't matter when you need to go to hospital, you go as a public patient even if you have private health ins because they are just too busy!

Sure about two or three weeks ago in waterford city a man presented with pain in his chest to the emergency section, they prescribed him antibiotics and told him he had a lung infection. A few hours later he died..

Unfortunately stories like that are becoming too frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'd rather pay it than have the situation like the NHS where people will go with the slightest sniffle because it's free and it takes 3 or 4 days to get an appointment.

3-4 days for an appointment?

I called my GP recently at 8 AM, Had my appointment for 10.30, out by 11.00 (cost nothing) went to chemist with a prescription for antibiotics, cost me £8.50, also spent 0.39p on ibuprofen.and 0.29p on paracetomol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Mine is €60. I am never sick so the only reason I need to go is to get a repeat pill prescription, €60 for 5 minutes and then the cost of 6 months of prescription.

Last month I filled in an Lloyd's online prescription request. €25 charge. I recieved the prescription in the post 2 days later, went to the chemist, blood pressure taken, bought prescription, job done.

Virtually no GP will do a house call.
    Did you bring the leaky tap to the plummer's office?

If you had syphilis.....

• Advertisement

Anyone who even so much as thinks that Irish 'healthcare' (or lack of) is any good, has something wrong with their brain.

Its only getting worse and worse, too.

Understaffed, underfunded, over crowded.

People dying as a result. My grandfather was misdiagnosed with 'parkinsons' and prescribed medication for it also, turns out it was fluid in his brain (which can be pretty serious if left alone) you can have seizures and then die etc

Yet it's just constant following up, and excuses, and pushbacks.

And he has private health care! Nowadays the whole system is so messed up it doesn't matter when you need to go to hospital, you go as a public patient even if you have private health ins because they are just too busy!

Sure about two or three weeks ago in waterford city a man presented with pain in his chest to the emergency section, they prescribed him antibiotics and told him he had a lung infection. A few hours later he died..

Unfortunately stories like that are becoming too frequent.
    Dying of a chest infection is pretty common especially if you are older. Sepsis is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

It all comes down to us not training enough doctors. We should double or triple the amount of doctors being trained. Anyone ever hear of an unemployed doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dying of a chest infection is pretty common especially if you are older. Sepsis is horrible.

''Pnuemonia is an old persons friend''
    I've heard that quoted since I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Sorry I meant to write in my post that it was actually a heart attack the man was having, and because they were so over crowded and understaffed they failed to realize something as common as a heart attack.

Sent him home with anti biotics and he died of a heart attack a couple hours later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sun of a duck

How do GPS get paid for the medical card? Do the HSE pay them for each time a medical card holder visits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How do GPS get paid for the medical card? Do the HSE pay them for each time a medical card holder visits ?

No.

www.pcrs.ie

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/pcrs/pcrs-publications/annual-report-2018.pdf

See page 24.

Ages Male € Female €
    Under 5 Years 74.59 72.76
    5 - 15 43.29 43.79
    16 - 44 55.26 90.37
    45 - 64 110.38 121.29
    65 - 69 116.28 129.72

Take a 45-64 year old GMS patient.

The GP gets 110-121 basic per year.

My friend tells me it's monthly payments per MC holder, the one I remember is €27/month for pensioners...... he says it's not enough and the paying patients are subsidising it and it'd be less for payers if they got enough for MCs.
    They come in a lot more when they have a MC

just edited to say....... I see now that the €27/mth is wrong and not even that

271.62 pa for a patient over 70 with a full GMS medical card.

125 pa for each child under 6 with a GP Visit card.

Note also the allowances towards admin and nurse.

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant to write in my post that it was actually a heart attack the man was having, and because they were so over crowded and understaffed they failed to realize something as common as a heart attack.

Sent him home with anti biotics and he died of a heart attack a couple hours later!

To be fair. As a pharmacist, I'd be able to tell a heart attack off the bloods. Sorry to hear that. The majority of us in the HSE are trying to make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

You get half back with any reasonable health insurance.

You can also get 20% back through tax, but i agree they should rebate at 40% tax rate, that would be fairer,

There are online docs now for straightforward stuff and only around 30 bucks or free with health provider

40% tax back would be less fair. Currently, I would suspect that most people on the higher bracket have health insurance so only pay half the fee - say €30. If they were to get 40% back that cost would be €18. Compared to someone in the lower rate they'd be paying 80% of the €60 - €48. So the person less able to pay would have to pay almost 3 times as much for the same service. And effectively your suggesting the government subsidise health care more for higher earners. I'd have a problem with that.

To be fair. As a pharmacist, I'd be able to tell a heart attack off the bloods. Sorry to hear that. The majority of us in the HSE are trying to make it better.

The frontline staff have poor uptake of flu vaccine........ it's as if they want a few weeks off in January, the hospitals busiest time of the year......# send in a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A dental check up is free and a cleaning is only €15. Same for optician check-up. Maybe they could do something like that for GPs; a once a year visit for free (or a small fee, like €15) as long as you have the required amount of PRSI contributions.

And if you.dont have any contributions, you get everything free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

wrangler wrote: »
    The frontline staff have poor uptake of flu vaccine........ it's as if they want a few weeks off in January, the hospitals busiest time of the year......# send in a cert

Frontline staff sick days grouped by job is published and available every year. Absence rate for doctors is less than 1% usually. Nurses is higher but it's a physical job with more direct patient contact. People who work with sick patients are going to be more likely to pick up illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not visited a GP in a good while, I recall when I did it was cash only and receipt that would be outgunned by a private car seller issuing you with a PostItNote receipt. Seemed to be rampant tax evasion going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

That depends on the blood tests that were requested (if any were requested).
    The protein Troponin can take a number of hours to become elevated after a heart attack.
    An EKG should have been done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wrangler wrote: »

They are right not to pump any of that rubbish in to their bodies, I certainly never will.

They are right not to pump any of that rubbish in to their bodies, I certainly never will.

I was self employed, working on my own, sick cert wasn't worth a damn, you should try doing manual work while having the flu. I t wasn't sustainable to have the flu
    IF a sick cert would get me off work for a paid week/fornight I wouldn't have bothered with the vaccine either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That seems bizarre. Surely there is more to the story? there are standard tests for confirming whether a heart attack is occurring or not isnt there?

Advertisement