Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GN Toilets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

GRACKEA wrote: »
    It's disgusting that boys would ridicule girls for having their period! I don't understand how they would know either way though.

Because the girl has to open the covering of the tampon or sanitary towel. Because a girl takes longer in the toilets due to biologocal needs and facts. Because teenagers tease. Because being shy is normal. Because some young girls gave debilitating, heavy or painful periods and may need to use the cubicle to rest up, or even change soiled clothes. Because one quarter of girls are menstruating at any one time. Because it is a raw, indelicate, stressful time for some young girls and many older. It is a real fact that needs real facilities and privacy for many.
    In UK schools there are problems now with girls not drinking during the school day or holding their urine due to being uncomfortable using GN toilets. Some doctors have come out against these toilets.

On the wider issue there have been rapes and assaults in GN toilets. Of course there have been assaults in public toilets since forever - it is one reason Mammys will bring young boys into the Ladies with them when out in public. People have known since before old time that public toilets are fraught environments, but now we are supposed to deny our senses and good sense.

Upskirting has proved to be an issue.

A very large percentage of miscarriages take place in public toilets. Perimenopausal women can experience very heavy bleeding, even hemmorhage in public. At least 10% of women have endometriosis which causes very heavy bleeding. Bladder infections and even continence issues are far more common in women. Urgency, stress incontinency, prolapse, all reasons women need privacy when they go to the toilet.

I know transwomen need toilets. There should be GN toilets in ADDITION to female toilets. Stop eating into womens spaces to appear politically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Cause all trans people are sex offenders of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where did the poster even so much as imply that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Where did the poster even so much as imply that?

In the post I quoted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Of course not all trans people are sex offenders. That is a disingenuous line to throw out to cover for illogical pc policies. Especially among what in older times were called transexuals - these are generally adults who have chosen to live as the opposite sex and most just want to do so quietly and with dignity.
    But the new broader definition of transgender does seem to attract an inordinately high number of very public instances of transgression. I dont know why. Very high neurotic tendencies in public discourse. Some of the abusiveness I have seen recordings of from trans identifying people is shocking. And the dedinition now includes gender queer or gender fluid, non binary etc., many of whom seem to be fashionable performers more than anything, doing attention seeking "performative femininity" to use gender theory speak.

Look at horrible abusive weird narcissists like Aimee Challenor or Morgane Ogar or that nasty skinny chap, who is UK Labours female spokeswoman. Horrible people. Transexuals eeally are not benefitted by these mean odd people.

I dont know why in a tiny population there are so many criminal cases, but there are - this website publishes many - https://www.womenarehuman.com/ People should gave a look. They are not made up examples. It seems bizarre frankly that in such a small population there are so many cases.
    Why?

It may need concerted criminological or sociological research to explain the higher rates of transgressiveness and sexual crime that seem at least on the surface to be very apparent.

Lily Madigan is the name I forgot. Seriously dyspeptic individual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Gynoid wrote: »
    Because the girl has to open the covering of the tampon or sanitary towel. Because a girl takes longer in the toilets due to biologocal needs and facts. Because teenagers tease. Because being shy is normal. Because some young girls gave debilitating, heavy or painful periods and may need to use the cubicle to rest up, or even change soiled clothes. Because one quarter of girls are menstruating at any one time. Because it is a raw, indelicate, stressful time for some young girls and many older. It is a real fact that needs real facilities and privacy for many.
    In UK schools there are problems now with girls not drinking during the school day or holding their urine due to being uncomfortable using GN toilets. Some doctors have come out against these toilets.

On the wider issue there have been rapes and assaults in GN toilets. Of course there have been assaults in public toilets since forever - it is one reason Mammys will bring young boys into the Ladies with them when out in public. People have known since before old time that public toilets are fraught environments, but now we are supposed to deny our senses and good sense.

Upskirting has proved to be an issue.

A very large percentage of miscarriages take place in public toilets. Perimenopausal women can experience very heavy bleeding, even hemmorhage in public. At least 10% of women have endometriosis which causes very heavy bleeding. Bladder infections and even continence issues are far more common in women. Urgency, stress incontinency, prolapse, all reasons women need privacy when they go to the toilet.

I know transwomen need toilets. There should be GN toilets in ADDITION to female toilets. Stop eating into womens spaces to appear politically correct.

Yeah I agree re the additional bathroom that anyone can use, which would also help girls who need extra privacy while leaving the segregated ones that are already in place, which is exactly what I said in the post you only half quoted and responded to.

Yeah I agree re the additional bathroom that anyone can use, which would also help girls who need extra privacy while leaving the segregated ones that are already in place, which is exactly what I said in the post you only half quoted and responded to.

Yes, I was only responding to that question as to how people might know. The rest of my post was general and not aimed at your post. Just spring boarded off into my usual rant from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

In the post I quoted.
    Nope

They were referring to unisex toilets that would be frequented by trans and non trans people

Talk to the alleged 10-15 trans people you know, show them the post and ask them if that's what it implies

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you ever live in a house (family or house share) and share use of a bathroom with people of mixed genders? It's just like that.

You don't share everything in life with strangers the same as you do with friends and family to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Experienced unisex toilets in a University in Australia. In their dorms they even had large unisex shower facilities. Users had cubicles for privacy for going to the toilet, showering etc and shared space for things like sinks mirrors etc. Along one wall were a row of toilet cubicles (no urinals). Along another wall were a row of shower cubicles. Users entered the shower cubicle fully clothed and exited fully clothed. The cubicle walls were solid brick built wall to ceiling to provide privacy for the users. They had a small dressing area and a walk in shower area. These were functional spaces in the same way that people shared a computer room but didn't share their personal e-mails.

As I recall there were smaller, and fewer, gender specific facilities for anyone who were uncomfortable with Unisex option so no one was forced into a situation they were uncomfortable with.

And all that was 20 years ago so it's not a new idea. The world didn't end but then again I think the Australians are far more mature about sex and sexuality than the Irish. No one stared or giggled or passed comments. Couples could even share the cubicle space and no one even batted an eyelid as they came and went. But if anyone walked around with their bits on display or behaved inappropriately to someone else then the University, and if need be the police, would come down on them like a ton of bricks. Everyone understood the rules and everyone respected them.

That said it does require a certain maturity to ensure people behave appropriately. University is probably the earliest I would do something like that. I think the last thing a teenage girl or boy struggling to come to terms with changes they don't fully understand is to be exposed to immature members of the Opposite gender (it's hard enough to cope with the immature members of their own gender).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This is new to me, the old gender neutral toilets.

Is it fine if I use these (I'm a straight bloke)?

Do they have urinals?

I've been in unisex toilets before.

Imagine a space designed for humans to urinate and/or defecate. It contains a receptacle we shall call a 'toilet' which can be utilised by sitting or standing. This space can be locked from the inside for privacy.
    Buildings associated with housing humans generally contain at least one of these space. They are gender neutral.
    See - you've used one many many times.
    In an adults only environment I can think of a lot of inconveniences

In an environment in which children are present i think its downright dangerous.

Any environment which gives plausible deniability to a sex offender exposing their genitals to a minor of the opposite gender is a terrible idea imho.

Even one incident where a young girl is exposed to a penis is too many in my book.

Are there no adults responsible for the care of these children who can accompany them to the toilet?
    What about father's whose daughters need to use the toilet? Or mothers whose sons do?
    Is it ok if a young boy is exposed to a perverted penis in a male only space?

If all public 'restrooms' (as the Americans like to call them) contain only lockable cubicles then there is no 'plausible deniability' - if a penis is exposed outside of locked cubicle that is exposure and the perpetrator should be punished.

What about public parks/sports grounds/side streets and fellas having a quick slash because they have been caught short? Should we make these spaces gender specific? Some of that getting the penis out might be for dodgy reasons after all.

It may be that the tense modern battle between competing ideologies may sort this one out. Orthodox Jewish and some Islamic or Hindu women are in many cases not permitted to use public facilities which are also frequented by the opposite sex. That is non familial opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I never got the big hullabaloo over these- most of us live in or visit homes with unisex toilets- no one bats an eyelid!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

road_high wrote: »
    I never got the big hullabaloo over these- most of us live in or visit homes with unisex toilets- no one bats an eyelid!

Most of us choose the people we share our homes with.

And we lock the door when we're in the loo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Cause all trans people are sex offenders of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah look at you. Desperate to be offended already, the "put words in the posters mouth" game begins. Trying to imply the poster said or meant something they did not. If the bathrooms are being used by both sexes it's likely that are man i.e. a biological male does what the poster says. Not a trans person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Did you ever live in a house (family or house share) and share use of a bathroom with people of mixed genders? It's just like that.

Well, no. You know the people you live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

As we do in public toilets. I think mixed toilets might even reduce anti social behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 22 white devil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

All the fuss about GN toilets ... GN everything, including menstrual cups (each can have their own news, OP) ... such a waste of time.
    Agreeing that calling them unisex instead would be more reasonable ... not to mention faster to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It really depends on the toilet set up.

I worked in a university in France 20 years ago and the toilets were unisex.

There were 4 cubicles and a few urinals. 2 of the cubicle doors had a sticker of a flower on them to indicate that these had sanitary bins in them. For me there was embarrassment when waiting on one of the "flower" cubicles to become available if the other cubicles were free as I may aswell put a sign on myself. There was also embarrassment when I'd emerge from any cubicle and my boss was at an urinal. I blush very easily so both of us were embarrassed. I was in my 20s then, if I was a teenager I don't think I could have coped tbh.

If a toilet is a self contained toilet in that the toilet and sink are together and the door exits to main building I have no issue with it being unisex.

However there's been many nights out were I've escaped to the toilet to get away from someone who didn't take the hint I wasn't interested. If they were able to follow me into a toilet I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable. This to me is the danger of unisex toilets especially where alcohol is a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They have had GN toilets for a long time now.... you might know them as unisex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

NIMAN wrote: »
    They have had GN toilets for a long time now.... you might know them as unisex.

Very common, known as the bathroom in the states, most even have wheelchair bars. In our house we call it the loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    If the bathrooms are being used by both sexes it's likely that are man i.e. a biological male does what the poster says. Not a trans person.

What does that mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

What does that mean?

It's most likely that a man will be the one whipping out his penis, not a trans person due to the huge minority that they are. Yet you decided to infer the latter.

Op should've said "are a".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

However there's been many nights out were I've escaped to the toilet to get away from someone who didn't take the hint I wasn't interested. If they were able to follow me into a toilet I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable. This to me is the danger of unisex toilets especially where alcohol is a factor.

You make a good point here; it also occurs to me that a transwoman is likely to feel uncomfortable and potentially unsafe if barred from the Ladies toilet in a situation where alcohol is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

How is that different from a public toilet? Have you not been locking it in public ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

How is that different from a public toilet? Have you not been locking it in public ones?

1. It's family so level of comfort is different
    2. As soon as anyone wants to start doing their business (in the odd situation that we both happen to be in the bathroom) then the other leaves.
    3. A stall is different from a whole room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

This subject is constantly coming up on Boards, why are people so obsessed???

We have two staff/visitor toilets in work, one upstairs and one downstairs and both are "unisex" or "gender neutral".

Doesn't make one slight bit of difference to my life except there's usually someone in the downstairs one so I've to run upstairs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You make a good point here; it also occurs to me that a transwoman is likely to feel uncomfortable and potentially unsafe if barred from the Ladies toilet in a situation where alcohol is involved.

But a transwoman has a much better chance of defending herself against a man than a biological woman.

While I appreciate steps need to be taken to protect more vulnerable people it shouldn't be at the expense of other vulnerable people.

Now I'll admit I don't know any of the trans community, however I'd imagine the majority are the same as the rest of us, just wanting to get through life a day at a time.

If they are being respectful minding their own business, I doubt if anyone would notice them slipping into the ladies and using a cubicle. Especially in an adult environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

road_high wrote: »
    As we do in public toilets. I think mixed toilets might even reduce anti social behavior

Except that 85% of attacks on women that occured in changing rooms or toilets, happened in mixed sex facilities. Biological females require a separate space. Once that requirement is met, they can divvy up the other spaces as they see fit.

Advertisement