Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Meanwhile in Scotland today..

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1180520045597925378?s=20

The DUP's position makes zero sense to me and zero sense for their constituents.
    I've a sneaky suspicion the leaders nests are being feathered on this ridiculous situation.
    https://euobserver.com/tickers/144649

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/britain-mueller-investigation-181127150638985.html

News today is Boris will seek an extension to the deadline.

https://euobserver.com/tickers/146172

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Meanwhile in Scotland today..

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1180520045597925378?s=20

The DUP's position makes zero sense to me and zero sense for their constituents.
    I've a sneaky suspicion the leaders nests are being feathered on this ridiculous situation.
    https://euobserver.com/tickers/144649

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/britain-mueller-investigation-181127150638985.html

News today is Boris will seek an extension to the deadline.

https://euobserver.com/tickers/146172
    Did he actually say that he would prefer to "die in a ditch"

Base price wrote: »
    Did he actually say that he would prefer to "die in a ditch"

I think he did. Yea.

I think he did. Yea.
    He's a twat but a clever one at that.

I don't know. I think we're equating being brazen and ignorant with being clever.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/world-news/archive-video-id-rather-be-dead-in-a-ditch-than-ask-for-a-brexit-delay-boris-johnson-38471779.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

I think he did. Yea.

How?

Lost what, 6 votes?
    Lost slim majority to something like -43 minority
    Illegally prorogued parliament

It's more Yes, Mr Bean than Yes, Prime Minister.

How?

Lost what, 6 votes?
    Lost slim majority to something like -43 minority
    Illegally prorogued parliament

It's more Yes, Mr Bean than Yes, Prime Minister.
    He is like a master puppeteer playing the British public so that he can blame everyone - those pesky Irish, the French/German lead EU etc - in order to win a majority in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭amacca

He is like a master puppeteer playing the British public so that he can blame everyone - those pesky Irish, the French/German lead EU etc - in order to win a majority in the next general election.

I think he's a privileged opportunist who has bitten off more than he can chew this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thing's are getting serious now, Barnier coming down hard on BoJo and his latest proposals.
    Good thread to read about the EUs view of their proposal.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1181934542682243072?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really hope the EU holds a firm line on this.
    The Brexiteers need a lesson that they are nothing special and can’t bully their way round as they did during the times of the “empire” they hark back for.

Those days are long gone and now they are a broken divided shell of a nation showing their political system up for the sham it really is.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Really hope the EU holds a firm line on this.
    The Brexiteers need a lesson that they are nothing special and can’t bully their way round as they did during the times of the “empire” they hark back for.

Those days are long gone and now they are a broken divided shell of a nation showing their political system up for the sham it really is.
    I read Arlene Foster's statement yesterday and a shiver ran through me when she said that the UK government should not surrender. It harked back to the days of the Rev. Ian Paisley :(

I read Arlene Foster's statement yesterday and a shiver ran through me when she said that the UK government should not surrender. It harked back to the days of the Rev. Ian Paisley :(

They've been calling the May agreement with the EU the surrender document since before BoJo was elected.

Those that learn nothing from history are destined to repeat it. And that's frightening for anyone that remembers the days before the Good Friday Agreement:(

They've been calling the May agreement with the EU the surrender document since before BoJo was elected.

Those that learn nothing from history are destined to repeat it. And that's frightening for anyone that remembers the days before the Good Friday Agreement:(
    I remember when it was signed and the feeling of relief that they had got it across the line. I also remember the overwhelming positive vote to change our Constitution to reflect the agreement.

*cough* Brown envelopes *cough*

*cough* They couldn't care less *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

I remember when it was signed and the feeling of relief that they had got it across the line. I also remember the overwhelming positive vote to change our Constitution to reflect the agreement.

And do you remember the virulent resistance to the Belfast agreement by the DUP!!!
    And don’t forget either that Arlene and Jeffery Donaldson both defected to the DUP from the UUP specifically over Trimble’s negotiating strategy.

She should be fudged out to grass.

I hope Leo's special meeting with Boris today hasn't stabbed any chances of a second referendum on brexit, in the back.

Everything was leading up nicely for a second vote. You had all the disruption in the house of commons and mostly everyone calling for it. Even Tony Blair was putting it out there as the only solution.
    He's getting stick from the Brexiteers but if you didn't know people already, all this shenanigans over the last few years by the remainers and the plain ignorant incompetence of the leaders was playing to have a second referendum.
    It's no secret that the Brexiteers are scared ****less in case a second vote came about.

https://twitter.com/mcashmanCBE/status/1182031432786595845?s=20

I hope Leo's special meeting with Boris today hasn't stabbed any chances of a second referendum on brexit, in the back.

Everything was leading up nicely for a second vote. You had all the disruption in the house of commons and everyone calling for it. Even Tony Blair was putting it out there as the only solution.
    He's getting stick from the Brexiteers but if you didn't know people already, all this shenanigans over the last few years by the remainers and the plain ignorant incompetence of the leaders was playing to have a second referendum.
    It's no secret that the Brexiteers are scared ****less in case a second vote came about.

https://twitter.com/mcashmanCBE/status/1182031432786595845?s=20

I’m hoping he hasn’t stabbed the Irish people in the back. I’d be more comfortable with Covney doing the meetings (never thought I’d be saying that)

Leo strikes me as a fella wanting to please his peers, wanting to be the big statesman, that worries me allot.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m hoping he hasn’t stabbed the Irish people in the back. I’d be more comfortable with Covney doing the meetings (never thought I’d be saying that)

Leo strikes me as a fella wanting to please his peers, wanting to be the big statesman, that worries me allot.

I know what you mean.
    But I think/hope that he couldn't care less about pleasing Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

Britain have to go...in name anyway. Europe cannot function with such a disruptive, dysfunctional partner. They will leave with a free trade deal at a minimum, and we should see trade back to normal pretty soon. How long it takes them to begin the conversation about rejoining, who knows, but for now, I reckon Europe are just sick of them, and couldn't face having them in parliament any longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

alps wrote: »
    Britain have to go...in name anyway. Europe cannot function with such a disruptive, dysfunctional partner. They will leave with a free trade deal at a minimum, and we should see trade back to normal pretty soon. How long it takes them to begin the conversation about rejoining, who knows, but for now, I reckon Europe are just sick of them, and couldn't face having them in parliament any longer..

They'd be delighted to get that trade deal, it may well encourage others to leave in time.

• Advertisement

I reckon Europe are just sick of them, and couldn't face having them in parliament any longer..

Jesus imagine having to go to work and Nigel Farafe being there spouting his nonsense every day. :(

Whatever about all of the above.
    Sinn Fein needs to suck their pride back in and get those seven elected MP's voices heard over in Westminster pronto.
    They can claim special duress or whatever to calm their electorate and go back to the status quo after.

But at the moment the DUP are claiming the sole voice of Northern Ireland.

Whatever about all of the above.
    Sinn Fein needs to suck their pride back in and get those seven elected MP's voices heard over in Westminster pronto.
    They can claim special duress or whatever to calm their electorate and go back to the status quo after.

But at the moment the DUP are claiming the sole voice of Northern Ireland.

If they do that Tory Mps who back remain will go over to hard Brexit.

Whatever chance of a good deal would instantly end.

Danzy wrote: »
    If they do that Tory Mps who back remain will go over to hard Brexit.

Whatever chance of a good deal would instantly end.

The DUP are going to vote against the idea of a border down the Irish sea.

The DUP have ten seats.
    Sinn Fein have seven.

That'll leave just three seats of a difference to the idea of an Irish sea border.
    Who knows Sinn Fein may even get the Scottish National Party to support them.

The remain idea looks to be gone with the fishes.
    It's just pro and anti agreement now.
    The mainlanders of the Tory party want a simple easy answer to Brexit. An Irish sea border would give them that.
    I don't think they're as enamoured with the north as some make out.

The current idea of the north getting the best of both the eu and Britain should have the residents dancing in the streets.
    But the DUP MP's with their pockets full of russian cash couldn't care less of their electorate and hence their position.

My point is that if SF Mps go there to back a deal, it will kill any hope of that deal passing.
    Even if it was a popular option.

People who would vote for the deal would switch to against.

Your solution would guarantee a No Deal Brexit in a parliament that has a remain majority.

I thought this was funny, watching politicians trying to alter reality:)
    https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1182740073240039425?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

9 to 12 month extension with a review in June..??

DUP stalling could delay, and the longer its delays, the closer it gets to a re run of referendum..

9 to 12 month extension with a review in June..??

DUP stalling could delay, and the longer its delays, the closer it gets to a re run of referendum..

Would the EU allow another Referendum.

Just give years more uncertainty and wirh the way the Euro zone economy is, they'll have bigger fish to fry than Brexit.

They'll want an end to the uncertainty either way.

While Conservative governments have always been a key ally of the EU Commissions, when they didn't adopt the Euro, they set themselves in a different path, that won't change whatever a new ref says, so Brussels will want a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think Boris will take any deal to Parliament, if it is rejected he can then crash out at the end of October.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

Can't see any deal being agreed at this stage, not a hope of a no deal Brexit happening, it would be a disaster for the brits.
    Another long extension on the cards, i never thought they'd leave and i still don't think they will.
    The best deal they'll ever get is the situation they're in now, ie in the EU.
    They were told a pack of lies before the referendum about immigration and other nonsense.

Advertisement