Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raging with Estate Agent!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Im not sure how house prices are falling if they’re all going above asking price. Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/house-prices-fall-by-28-in-three-months-as-brexit-uncertainty-blamed-for-slowdown-953799.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yet it seems that the estate agent has managed to avoid a time waster "cash buyer".

Here is the thing. Read the OP. It stinks. So many possibilities there including the possibility that the "friend" who told OP about the "cash buyer" is causing trouble & made up the story. Why hasn't "cash buyer" tried to reschedule? The "cash buyer" has a friend who knows the seller. Why haven't they tried the back door for a viewing? I can promise you this, anyone who is genuinely interested in a property won't be put off by a rescheduled appointed. No one really knows what happened here but I'm very doubtful that there ever was a "cash buyer" & if there was they seem to be tyre kickers rather than genuine buyers.

I get that most people don't understand how house sales are handled & don't trust estate agents. The reality is that the vast majority of Estate agents are honest and honourable in their dealings. OP is believing 2nd or 3rd hand information as fact without asking the estate agent what happened.

This appears to have happened on Friday and the "cash buyer" seems to be trying to make contact through the friend. A lot of conjecture on your part, EAs like in any walk of life, have good and bad eggs but I'd agree the majority are grand. Doesn't mean the OPs one isn't lazy are isn't being 100% truthful. From the information given I'm unsure how you could side with the estate agent tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

duffman13 wrote:
    This appears to have happened on Friday and the "cash buyer" seems to be trying to make contact through the friend. A lot of conjecture on your part, EAs like in any walk of life, have good and bad eggs but I'd agree the majority are grand. Doesn't mean the OPs one isn't lazy are isn't being 100% truthful. From the information given I'm unsure how you could side with the estate agent tbh

You can't have read my posts. I repeatedly said that he may turn out to be a bad estate agent. My point is that I wouldn't go rushing into replacing him based on hearsay alone. He may actually be the best local agent & you might end up with the worst. I never said that he was right or brilliant or the best. All I ever said was I would not fire him based on hearsay. It's that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

OP you should sack him, because he definitely doesn't want to sell your house and make commission.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sold in Dublin last year below asking.
    Bought where I am below asking.

So much for the price wars!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah I see the rereg troll follows me to yet another thread. You've managed to keep this account running for longer than most of your others. Well hail Satan

If you think someone is a re-reg, report them. Otherwise take this to PM (both of you)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I've little to no time for most of them. The lack of interest in selling a house borders on the grumpy teenager in a fast food joint.

I've had refusals to show us property, wouldn't take an offer, wouldn't accept a deposit from my wife "until your husband sees it", failure to answer emails/phone calls.

Since you have a direct line to the cash buyer get their number invite them over and show them around. If I was buying a house i'd prefer to talk to the person who lived there anyway.

If that deal goes through your solicitors do the legal stuff. All the estate agent does is advertise it and show it off. In this case they dont even do the later.
    Afraid if you sign a contract with the e.a you will have to pay him his commission if you sell privately/bypass him unless you have cancelled his contract. And then there could be a “cooling off” period after that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

You will need to be careful if you try and sell direct to a cash buyer. You need to read the contract you signed with the ea while even though they may not view it with the ea, it was advertised through them and you may have to wait a certain amount of time. Again read the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's very easy to blame the estate agents but step back & think about it, if the cash buyer was genuinely interested they would have made a different appointment that suited them both.
    if the estate agent was genuinely interested they would have made a different appointment that suited them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

This fits with all of my experience with Estate Agents to date.....

• Advertisement

I have had good and bad. I have ones who vanish the minute I go sale agreed, I have had ones who seemed not up front when I was bidding. But at present I am dealing with really good ones who only will take bids through email.

I also see sherry fitz (not who I am dealing with) now have an open bidding platform which is the way I think all should go

I remember bidding on a property a few years back, asking was 240 and I bid 235, i went up to 242500 with another bidder and they went to 245. What really annoyed me was when the estate agent got in contact over a month later and said the other bidder couldn't get the mortgage and the seller would sell to me at 245k without putting it back on the market. Out of principle I replied saying you left a person who clearly did not have the money get into a bidding war with me, so I said I will give 235k and no more and good luck. I think they got the 245 in the end about 6 months later but that kind of crap should not be allowed and it was clearly false bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

From the other side... I viewed a house alone when we were moving, our son was sick and my wife could not make it. We were interested in the house and I phoned back to arrange a second viewing so we could both see it. The agent said she would not bother, there had been a few cash buyers at the first viewing interested and one of them will buy it...

Fast forward 6 months, we had just moved into our new house when the agent txt me (not even a call) to see if I was still interested in the house :D It stayed online for another 6 months and was taken down... did not sell.

Some agents are just bad to deal with, and people know not to bother IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Panrich wrote: »
    Im not sure how house prices are falling if they’re all going above asking price. Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/house-prices-fall-by-28-in-three-months-as-brexit-uncertainty-blamed-for-slowdown-953799.html

Both things can be true - a house advertised at 500K might now be selling for 520 instead of 530.

We're in the market at the moment, so have been tracking the current bids for a good few houses - and in most cases the offers are at or above the asking price (some by a significant amount). Though that's a small set of data, and focused on a particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

I remember bidding on a property a few years back, asking was 240 and I bid 235, i went up to 242500 with another bidder and they went to 245. What really annoyed me was when the estate agent got in contact over a month later and said the other bidder couldn't get the mortgage and the seller would sell to me at 245k without putting it back on the market. Out of principle I replied saying you left a person who clearly did not have the money get into a bidding war with me, so I said I will give 235k and no more and good luck. I think they got the 245 in the end about 6 months later but that kind of crap should not be allowed and it was clearly false bidding

Similar happened to us. House advertised at 435.

We got into a rapid bidding war and went up to 520. EA told us other bidder offered 540. We said we were out.

Next day, EA rings us back telling us the vendor would like to accept our offer as we had better proof of funds. Told him we will offer the asking price and he refused.

6 months later the house was sold for 380.

If I was the vendor, I would be raging. EA cost him 140K.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Victor wrote:
    if the estate agent was genuinely interested they would have made a different appointment that suited them both.

How do you know that there was a cash buyer? How do you know that the cash buyer would accept another appointment.

Here's a possibly & one I've seen tried before. Someone wants to cut the estate agent out of the picture in the hope of a better deal directly with the sellers. They might even want to offer some cash under the counter in the hope of defrauding revenue. They can't afford this with an agent. They try discredit the estate agent to drive a wedge between sellers and agents.

All I'm saying is that a knee jerk reaction in sacking estate agents could be a mistake. I would at the very least get estate agents side of the story before listening to strangers on the Internet shouting "get a new agent".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

It was definitely aliens.

Love how the phrase cash buyer is being thrown around in here as if it makes this person some kind of God

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If someone is interested in buying your house, they,ll contact the estate agent .
    IF the agent wants to show the house, during the day,
    he should have a key .
    I,m assuming you work during the day,
    a potential buyer might want to view the house at 2 or 3 pm.
    the agent.s job is to deal with enquirys and show possible buyers the house.
    He should inform you if someone wants to view the house .
    Even a cash buyer should be dealing with the agent, if the house is being advertised, for sale, through an estate agent .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rocheyy

Does anyone know what the % estate agents get for selling a house?

rocheyy wrote: »

1.5% plus VAT in the ones i dealt with, the plus VAT is a killer, its basically closer to 2%

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Similar happened to us. House advertised at 435.

We got into a rapid bidding war and went up to 520. EA told us other bidder offered 540. We said we were out.

Next day, EA rings us back telling us the vendor would like to accept our offer as we had better proof of funds. Told him we will offer the asking price and he refused.

6 months later the house was sold for 380.

If I was the vendor, I would be raging. EA cost him 140K.

Some estate agents are chancers, i bought a house last year and i feel i was bidding against myself. I have dealt with a few and got quotes for selling from a few. Its amazing the paper trail some force (which is good) compared to how loose others are

rocheyy wrote: »

Anywhere from .75% upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Babyboy09

riclad wrote: »
    If someone is interested in buying your house, they,ll contact the estate agent.

quote="riclad;111386148"
    IF the agent wants to show the house, during the day,
    he should have a key .

I,m assuming you work during the day,
    a potential buyer might want to view the house at 2 or 3 pm.
    the agent.s job is to deal with enquirys and show possible buyers the house.
    He should inform you if someone wants to view the house .
    Even a cash buyer should be dealing with the agent, if the house is being advertised, for sale, through an estate agent .

Who are you directing this at? Me? (The OP) The estate agent has a key and is welcome to arrange viewings any time but we do require a days notice as we have small kids. (And aren’t very tidy people....)

In any case we rang the EA and he said the enquiry came in via daft and didn’t go into his schedule - strange how it was there to be cancelled on the Thursday. He didn’t offer the interested party an alternative viewing date but said he would get back to them - and he hadn’t as of lunchtime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Love how the phrase cash buyer is being thrown around in here as if it makes this person some kind of God

When you are desperate to sell a house a cash buyer is God!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When I was selling a cash buyer saw off a small bidding war, then another person offered another 5k but I figured I was better taking the cash offer than chancing waiting for the other buyer to sell. No argument really.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

Cash is King. And no chains either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most agents charge 1 or 1.5 per cent ,plus vat for selling a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Fol20 wrote: »
    You will need to be careful if you try and sell direct to a cash buyer. You need to read the contract you signed with the ea while even though they may not view it with the ea, it was advertised through them and you may have to wait a certain amount of time. Again read the contract.

Id say even being careful isnt an option, if youre in a contract, I was under the impression you paid in the end anyway, I had one and it the agent got paid even if the house didnt sell, seemed a certainty the house would sell and it did and the Agent had what I gathered was a good reputation for turning over sales quickly, but looking back I should have shopped around or questioned the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VmfS

Some would say I represent the ideal cash buyer, with all cash in the bank and ready to go. Still, not one EA knowing this has been proactive in any way to pair me up with someone that may be actually willing to sell in a fast and orderly manner. Yes, I very well know not to expect ANY service as a buyer form an EA, but I cant help thinking something is very wrong with the system when pure speculation seems to be king, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

VmfS wrote: »
    Some would say I represent the ideal cash buyer, with all cash in the bank and ready to go. Still, not one EA knowing this has been proactive in any way to pair me up with someone that may be actually willing to sell in a fast and orderly manner. Yes, I very well know not to expect ANY service as a buyer form an EA, but I cant help thinking something is very wrong with the system when pure speculation seems to be king, really.

I don’t see why you are critical of the EA for this, they know a cash sale is quicker and easier, it would be in their interest to put you together with a vendor who wants a quick sale.

For most people, selling a house is the largest financial transaction of their life, and most want to get the highest price they can for it. Not everyone favours a cash transaction, achieving the highest price is more important even if it takes longer.

If you are making cash offers and the vendors aren’t accepting them, either they don’t care if the bid is financed or not, or they think your bid is too low. You are only the ideal (cash) buyer, it your offer is acceptable.

Advertisement