Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Gilbert in Ireland in October for cycling event/sportif

Options
  • 14-09-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd help promote this

Looks like a good event ...both the cycling part and the the dinner for Crumlin Hospital

And 2 pros for the price of one

Nico Roche & Philip Gilbert in Kildare & Wicklow on 19th and 20th October

https://www.theprojectnr.com/cycle-series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Are they keeping the routes secret deliberately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

looks like lake drive for the short one and Wicklow gap and sally gap for the longer route,

https://www.theprojectnr.com/routes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sounds cool but...

"A percentage of the entries will be donated to charity"

to-protect-mother-earth-each-copy-contains-a-certain-percentage-2693746.png

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Great we can "sort him out" for taking the stage off Sam the other day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Very little information on the routes, as to what roads both routes are taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Looks like the routes are no walk in the park

https://twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/1175075480875261952?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

fat bloke wrote: »
    Sounds cool but...

"A percentage of the entries will be donated to charity"

to-protect-mother-earth-each-copy-contains-a-certain-percentage-2693746.png

😁

My sentiments exactly...... the spelling in the original ad was atrocious as well, joke....

I prefer to believe Nicolas Roche when he says a percentage of the entries will go charity ...but then again I have no valid reason to believe and repeat the worst of someone.

Same for the spelling...immaterial really esp with French as first language ..

Not really what I would think are valid reasons to call this event a joke :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This event looks like it's there solely to make money, with crumlin a way to get more in because of the charitable nature pig almost all other sportives. Neither the proceeds of the dinner nor the cycle go to crumlin, just an auction AT the dinner.

To each their own, I'd have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I do hope they manage to raise loads of money for Crumlin at the auction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Crumlin charity all feeds through cmrf who are obliged to say a portion is donated to charity as they take their running costs out. We tried to arrange a fundraising with proceeds going directly but were told we had to go through cmrf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Jeez - tough crowd.

I'd assume Roche and Gilbert would be getting tidy sums to appear at this event considering their current pros and big names in cycling (Roche more so in Ireland and it seems he's playing a part in organising it).
    I don't really see the issue.

The likes of Sean Kelly and former pros get a few euros for appearances throughout the country as well and don't see many people complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

eeeee wrote: »
    This event looks like it's there solely to make money, with crumlin a way to get more in because of the charitable nature pig almost all other sportives. Neither the proceeds of the dinner nor the cycle go to crumlin, just an auction AT the dinner.

To each their own, I'd have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I do hope they manage to raise loads of money for Crumlin at the auction.

According to the blurb "a percentage of the entries will be donated to the charity"
    That doesn't sound to me as if it's just the proceeds of the auction, that will be given to the charity.

You seem to have enough interest to deliberately run it down when it clearly say proceeds of the entries go to charity

Also Gilbert will need to be paid expenses etc to come to Ireland so what if it makes some money as then more goes to charity

Sean Kelly and co make money in fees for their events but where is the holier than thou attitude on this ??

No holier than thou attitude, just because I'm not into the event doesn't make me holier than thou.:rolleyes:
    And it says on the homepage that proceeds from the auction of the dinner go to crumlin.
    It's right there on the first page.

Pointing out the problematics of something isn't running it down, nothing is above critical thinking.

Differences of opinion are allowed.

In fact I'd argue that a lack of critical thinking is at the root of a lot of issues more generally.

No holier than thou attitude, just because I'm not into the event doesn't make me holier than thou.:rolleyes:
    And it says on the homepage that proceeds from the auction of the dinner go to crumlin.

Pointing out the problematics of something isn't running it down, nothing is above critical thinking.

In fact I'd argue that a lack of critical thinking is at the root of a lot of issues more generally.

Critical thinking is not the same as unsubstantiated innuendo and uncalled for and undue criticism

You can not be into something or not support it...no one cares
    I draw you attention to 'knocking it' without any proof ..there is a world of difference

But I guess you must be good to getting to the root cause of issues :rolleyes: even if there are none

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It's also on the front page, that a percentage of the entries will go to the charity.
    Why are you ignoring that? In fact, in your first post on this thread you contradicted it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I generally prefer if they give a better breakdown of the % that goes to charity (aka some events will say all profits), but perhaps they've no idea at the moment. I'd always complain about that with running events when there is a lack of transparency and I've been following the instagram and the website for this and it has grated at me that it isn't very clear.

Planning to do the cycle myself anyway - however many times I've said I would, I've never done Wicklow Gap so there'll be no excuses if I do the cycle. Might go to the dinner if there's anyone else I know going.

Routes are up now on the site btw.

I generally prefer if they give a better breakdown of the % that goes to charity (aka some events will say all profits)

This is the problem...an organisational one rather than for any nefarious reasons

The site say % of entries go to charity...but if you have to pay all your costs including the not insubstantial cost of Philip Gilbert appearance and travel,hotel,etc then its hard to say what percentage of entries go to charity until you have assessed the income and final sales and paid costs

If you said say 50% of profits then that would be after all costs and would have been easier to say upfront...

Rookie mistake ...cant say for instance 20% of entries go to charity as you have no idea what percentage cover costs yet as not yet sold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They have sponsors covering some of the costs that do not seem to be mentioned either. i was under the impression that Spirit in Sandyford were covering a chunk of the appearance fees as Nico is their Volvo rep/Sports person. Happy to wait to see, neither strike me as stupid enough to pretend to be giving some up for charity and then not doing it in this day and age. Odd they don't have the sponsors up on the page yet though.

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Critical thinking is not the same as unsubstantiated innuendo and uncalled for and undue criticism

You can not be into something or not support it...no one cares
    I draw you attention to 'knocking it' without any proof ..there is a world of difference

But I guess you must be good to getting to the root cause of issues :rolleyes: even if there are none

There's as much evidence for my point of view as your own.
    It's important to look at things critically, I will continue to do so.

It's not for me, I still believe it is not being run for entirely altruistic reasons, I think profit making is a big motivation for it. There's nothing wring with that.
    It's not the kind of thing that would attract me for the reasons I've laid out and others I won't go into here.

To each their own.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    It's also on the front page, that a percentage of the entries will go to the charity.
    Why are you ignoring that? In fact, in your first post on this thread you contradicted it.

I misread that, I was racing Saturday morning, completely emptied myself, then had a birthday all weekend. My mistake. I think I've only recovered from Saturday today :pac:

One positive of it is that it's a non-CI event so they've managed to get their own insurance, which, in these insurance crazy times is a really good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

How does one have a birth"day" all weekend? Hate to be a stickler or negative but the critical thinker in me just won't rest.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How does one have a birth"day" all weekend? Hate to be a stickler or negative but the critical thinker in me just won't rest.

:D
    The mother was 60, dinner Saturday evening immediate family, then rest of family dinner/gentle party Sunday, actual birthing day anniversary Monday, presents and the like.

She hates fuss, but also hates it when she isn't fussed over for big days, so there was a lot of mandatory I-can't-believe-it's-not-fussing fussing to be done!

Mr eeeee ...what a complex life you lead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Mr eeeee ...what a complex life you lead

Eeeee ain't no mister!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In 2011. Where they common in 2011?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »
    In 2011. Where they common in 2011?

At pro level I would have thought so, but he states that it was a sponsor issue rather than something else. There were alot of issues that probably hampered him at AG2R that probably meant he missed his best years. No TT bikes for TTs, not protecting their leader at times, for reasons that may or may not have been true. AG2R always seemed like they didn't fully back Nico, or simply couldn't back anyone but I always felt if he had a French Flag beside his name, some members of the backroom team would have backed him more. Just an impression, may not be true but I could be completely wrong and they may have been just as poor backing anyone as leader.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CramCycle wrote: »
    At pro level I would have thought so, but he states that it was a sponsor issue rather than something else. There were alot of issues that probably hampered him at AG2R that probably meant he missed his best years. No TT bikes for TTs, not protecting their leader at times, for reasons that may or may not have been true. AG2R always seemed like they didn't fully back Nico, or simply couldn't back anyone but I always felt if he had a French Flag beside his name, some members of the backroom team would have backed him more. Just an impression, may not be true but I could be completely wrong and they may have been just as poor backing anyone as leader.

Thats an impression borne out in his book.

• Advertisement

Yes..He stayed too long at Ag2R

Seems to me that Nico Roche didnt get the equipment, training,weight loss, etc right until he left Ag2R.... not really till he got to SKY and by then it was too late for personal ambition

Advertisement