Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB...that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

01/08/2019

20.0K - 101:42 - Grass/Trail - NP

The kids are still up in Mayo so have a bit more bandwidth this week in the evenings.

Went out to UL after work and headed off to the grass pitches to warm up for a couple of km with the intention of heading off then around Annacotty and then on around the Parkway etc.

But was feeling a bit sluggish tbh so decided to keep it local and ended up doing a load of laps instead around the pitches and the newish trail around the 4G pitches. Broke it up a bit by going across the bridges over and doing a few laps of the other pitches and then heading back for a few more laps on the grass.

A bit boring for sure but zoned out completely which was no harm and hopefully the grass might be easier on the legs for a change.

02/08/2019

Intervals - 4 x 2K @ Target HMP (~4:15)

Debated about a) going for a run, and b) doing intervals due to a) long run last night and b) the fekken heat.

Decided to give them a lash in the end and got on ok

1) 4:07, 4:12
    2) 4:10, 4:14
    3) 4:13, 4:14
    4) 4:11, 4:18

Worth noting that the first (downhill & wind assisted) and last (uphill and into the wind) were the obvious outliers.

Will rest tomorrow - off to Mayo again and going to the match tomorrow night. Probable long run on Sunday morning again if all goes to plan

05/08/2019

18.20K - 84:54 - Road - NP

Up in Mayo again this weekend - no run on Saturday as I was at the match in Castlebar. Got soaked and probably aged about 10 years through sheer nervous tension - I've come down with a bad dose of Mayo fever this year, so much so that I'm even thinking of going to Croke Park next Saturday :eek::eek::eek:

Went to the beach yesterday in between the rain and managed a dead man's float for a bit - had half arsed plans for a run in the evening but it was lashing so gave it a miss.

Anyway, finally got out today for what was a very decent workout imho...kept it solid at 4:45 pace for about 13K and then did the last few at <4:30 with the last one being at a snappy 4:09.

Felt good all the way round - the Achilles are definitely screaming a bit but I'm keeping on top of it so far

06/08/2019

10.10K - 47:36 - Road - NB

Standard lunchtime run

09/08/2019

10.10K - 48:42 - Road - NB

So my standard lunchtime run on Tuesday was followed by a quasi enforced mid-plan midweek 2 day taper.

Have basically felt like sh1t the last few days - headaches, tiredness etc. along with a lot of aches muscle pains. Not sure if it was a cold/virus or something thyroid related :mad:

Felt halfway normal today so just did an easy 10K - calves and achilles feeling a bit stiff/achey so I don't see myself doing anything too arduous in the coming days

No running over the weekend - would have been a struggle to fit one in anyway the way things panned out but bottom line is that both Achilles are in bad shape right now.

Have been icing, resting, stretching etc over the last few days but no real improvement so back to physio tomorrow evening.

This week will probably be a write-off I'd say but might be no harm in the long run hopefully as I can refresh and recalibrate, get back on my feet for Charleville and then continue the progress up until Dublin.

re: Marathon target - at this stage I still feel/think/hope that something around ~3:15 could still be a realistic target, assuming that I'm back running ok in the not too distant future

• Advertisement

15/08/2019

6.40K - 33:42 - Road - NP

Recovery plod.

So the physio reckons my achilles issues may be sourced from my hips - had a good loosening out of achilles and hips the other night so hopefully that's the beginning of the end for my injuries.

Anyway, took it super easy today so will build back gradually over the next week or two and see how things go

17/08/2019

6.40K - 29:29 - Road - NP

18/08/2019

6.20K - 27:21 - Road – NP

Up in Mayo again so went for a couple of gentle runs around the local soccer pitch.

Both of them went pretty ok I guess – no major reaction in the Achilles or elsewhere :D

Latest superfluous fitness/injury gadget ordered => balance board from Amazon.

Recommended by the physio and well researched by me online…..probably too late in the day to have a major impact on my current training cycle but hoping it can be of use going forward.

Starting to recall over the last few days why I swore in 2012 I’d never enter another marathon – I don’t think my body is up to it tbh at the level I want to run at :o

And if I’m being honest I prefect racing regularly over shorter distances rather than putting all the eggs in one basket as it were.

Anyway, moan over (for now!) – I think if I make it a) to the start line and b) to the finish line in Dublin this October I think I’ll call it a day with that distance

18/08/2019

8.05K - 38:57 - Road – NB880

Another sedately paced rehab/recovery run.

Feeling better than last week for sure - will take tomorrow off and stretch every muscle, ligament and joint in the meantime.

Highlight of the run today - saw a very content Tipperary supporting middled aged man coming towards me on the path, he looked me up on down and then shouted at me "You're very fit looking!" as I ran past. I gave him the standard nod and thumbs up and omitted the intricate details of my current injury issues :pac:

21/08/2019

8.85K - 41:51 - Road – NB880

Perfect weather for a run today eg. lashing rain, light wind, temps in the mid teens :cool:

All good in the hood I think - still a lingering stiffness in the Achilles but improving generally I think.

Will probably do something similar tomorrow and Friday - tied up at the weekend so won't be running again until early next week. Will hopefully be in shape then to start adding the miles back up again

22/08/2019

8.00K - 37:17 - Road – NP

23/08/2019

6.10K - 28:36 - Road – AF

Ahead of my weekend of athletic inactivity, I decided to sneak in a couple of runs today and yesterday as guilt blocker and fitness test of my long suffering lower limbs.

I won’t deny it…my Achilles aren’t exactly in a satisfactory condition. Still not as bad as a couple of weeks ago but not quite where I’d like them to be.

The runs themselves went fine really - did a bit of fartlek today actually...felt good to be running fast again even if only sporadically

• Advertisement

27/08/2019

12K - 58:03 - Road – NP

28/08/2019

8.20K - 38:56 - Road – NB880

Spent a very enjoyable weekend at a music festival in England - did plenty of walking, a spot of dancing, carb-loading and kept myself well hydrated throughout :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Back to reality yesterday - was on Annual Leave and had a couple of hours to myself in the morning so popped out for a plod in the lashing rain....a few latent niggles (a mix of the weekend activity and ongoing issues) but felt ok all things considered.

Today was actually a pretty good run as well - kept it steady and niggles/twangs were barely noticeable so fingers crossed that I'm turning some sort of corner at last.

I had my first 'workout' on the wobble board last night too which went well I think.

As I was wobbling about in front of the telly, I also remembered that I made a drunken promise to my brother in law to pace him for a marathon at Christmas time over in Portsmouth (:eek:)....I'm never drinking Amstel again :D:D

30/08/2019

10.10K – 47:11 – Road – NP

Did a good bit of stretching and wobbling yesterday evening along with my usual core and strength work.

Found the first 5K very comfortable, only copped on as I turned at halfway that this was because I had a helpful tailwind. As always, a helpful tailwind turned into an unhelpful headwind on the way back so had to dig a bit deeper than I had planned to hold at ~4:40 pace.

Generally felt a bit tired and leggy, Achilles felt ok-ish.

Tied up with stuff tomorrow – will hopefully get out at some stage on Sunday

01/09/2019

16.10K – 76:24 – Road – NP

Pretty busy all weekend so running was kicked down the priority list - found a window yesterday evening and set out to run a minimum of 12K and test the Achilles (plural :()

It went pretty well overall I think and not too sore this morning so it'll be very cautious training for another while.

re: Charleville - PB probably out of scope now, I'll be treating this a group long run now with a free t-shirt at the end.

re: Dublin - PB (3:26) is in the balance now as well realistically. Unless my ankles improve dramatically I can't see myself doing any hard sessions/speed work in the coming weeks. Thinking now that if I aim for 4:50 per km pace and hope to hang on...would be very happy with a 3:23 marathon right now the way things have gone.

Anyway will keep plugging away - will be glad when this marathon is done and dusted tbh...

03/09/2019

8.80K – 41:38 – Road – NB880

A fairly satisfactory run in balmy conditions in Nenagh.

Have been feeling pretty fatigued again over the last couple of days - between my Achilles and my thyroid it'll be an achievement to make it to the start line in Dublin :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Anyway, ploughed on through this one...ideally I'd do something similar again tomorrow so will see how things go

05/09/2019

10.10K – 46:32 – Road – NB880

This felt like a big improvement on last weeks outing on the same route....Achilles ok, energy ok and lovely running conditions (temps in mid teens, fresh, light wind)

I'm wary of running back to back days in my current state but will throw the gear in the car anyway tomorrow and see what happens.

06/09/2019

8K – 37:31 – Road – NP35

A fairly standard run I guess, a few grumbles from the lower limbs but nothing too extreme.

- It was my first time running on consecutive days in ages
    - First outing in my pre-ordained marathon Nike Pegasus...felt great I have to say. They've been hidden under the bed since Christmas I think :D
    - First run that I've collected conkers on (:)) The young fella is mad about them and they've pruned all the tress near us so I'll be importing Tipp conkers into Limerick this evening.

No set plan for the weekend again - will hopefully get out for a longish run on Sunday at some stage

Both kids sick over the weekend with random back-to-school style bugs, and inevitably I ended up with some variant of something as well.

Felt knackered on Saturday, totally fupped on Sunday and Monday, crap yesterday and halfways normal today.

Obviously not ideal preparation for Charleville on Sunday and a DCM lurking on the horizon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Between the Achilles issues and now this, it's definitely the most thorough taper I've ever done for a half :pac::pac::pac:

10/09/2019

12K – 57:13 – Road – NP34

In foresight, I probably shouldn't have gone for this run really as I wasn't 100% after whatever bug/virus I had over the weekend.

But in hindsight, it actually worked out pretty ok :D It was a nice evening, and a solid enough run which gave me some bit of confidence that I'm not totally broken

13/09/2019

10K – 45:59 – Road – NP34

Spent the last couple of days/nights/early mornings helping the missus finish off a Masters Project - a couple of late nights cramped over a laptop on the kitchen table trying to edit a behemoth of a word document was a long and painful experience....basically like a non-athletic marathon :pac:

Managed to squeeze in a bit of core and wobble board work, so wasn't actually feeling too bad today.

Anyway, the run itself was grand - pushed the pace a smidgin harder than I've done in a while. Kept it going fairly steady - felt I was plodding a bit towards the last couple of km but finished strongly for a last km of 4:19.

Have zero expectations now ahead of Charleville - dunno what would represent success the way the last few weeks have gone :confused:

15/09/2019

CHARLEVILLE HALF MARATHON 2019

21.15K – 93:40 – Road – NP35

As long time readers (if there are any out there lol) will know, I’ve been struggling with form, fitness and injury over the last couple of months so had zero expectations/goals heading down to Charleville yesterday.

Got down in nice time (parked up around 8:45) and took a wander down towards the race HQ. Bumped into a few club mates and then amazingly bumped into the legendary Jerry Kiernan – had a quick chat with him and was tempted to ask for a selfie but in fairness we’re probably both too old for that kind of thing.

Did a short enough warm up really and then positioned myself about halfway up the pack at the start line.

As we were waiting to start the sun came out and it got really hot really quickly. I had brought a kids size bottle of water down with me and had plan to chuck it away before starting but (luckily) held on to it. Was extremely hot very quickly and poured most of the water over my head to keep cool – don’t remember ever having to do that so early in a race before.

Started off steady enough and spent the first km basically avoiding running into people; settled into a rhythm fairly quickly after that and was surprised to see what I presumed was the 1:30 pace group ahead of me.

Upped the pace a bit and began to reel in the pace group over the next couple of km….felt comfortable and was inwardly chuffed to be running at the pace so easily. Made contact and finally was able to see the pace balloon clearly…..yup…1:35 lol :D:D:D:D

1) 4:22
    2) 4:21
    3) 4:25
    4) 4:22
    5) 4:20 – Time Elapsed 21:53

Despite my pacing group snafu I was more than happy with the start tbh…it was still baking hot but felt ok. The front of the pacing group was congested so I decided I was probably better to be ahead of it altogether. Put on a bit of a spurt and another lad went with me from the group. Got chatting to him and we motored along handy enough for a few miles, gradually working up through the field

6) 4:19
    7) 4:24
    8) 4:28
    9) 4:25
    10) 4:26 – Time Elapsed 43:57

I didn’t like the section around Kilmallock at all – had memories of a bad run there from earlier in the year at the County 4 Miler and the road surface wasn’t ideal for my gammy Achilles. The breeze was welcome though and myself and yer man were still ploughing along handy enough. Halfway in ~46 mins.

11) 4:21
    12) 4:17
    13) 4:23
    14) 4:29
    15) 4:24 - – Time Elapsed 65:53

This is where the first pangs of tiredness started to appear – not surprising being that I haven’t ran at that pace or that distance too often in recent weeks I guess!

My running buddy vanished at this point so I just kept it going. Found the last few km a real slog/grind….long stretches of slight drags were just draining. A few people were starting to drop out as well at this stage so the internal mindgames started big time – came close to a walking break once I think but knew if I stopped I’d really struggle to get going again.

16) 4:30 - 10 Miles 70:24
    17) 4:30
    18) 4:28
    19) 4:30
    20) 4:35 – Time Elapsed 88:29
    21) 4:32
    22) 0:39

Was still passing people out at this stage which is always nice…one lady surged past with around 3K to go but I caught her in the last few hundred metres. Didn’t bother sprinting at the end – my right glute felt a bit crampy so didn’t want to end up in a heap for the sake of a few seconds.

So overall, I should be happy with that I guess in the circumstances.

Won’t deny that I feel very frustrated that I can still run a half decent time on the back of such sh1t training – if I could just get a clear run at it I feel I could deffo get down near something approaching sub 3 form :mad::mad:

Also not sure if I would have been better off running at TMP rather than the pace I did – if I’m going to finish the marathon now it’ll have to be at a very steady 4:50 – 5:00 min pace I think and even that could be tricky unless I get back running consistently in the next couple of weeks. Physio booked for Thursday, might try a gentle plod tomorrow.

Anyway, overall an enjoyable mornings work. It was damn hot and the course, while undeniably flat, was a bit of a grind. The long stretches are a killer imho. But the organization was superb, very smooth indeed and the race number clips are a great freebie.

Bizarrely, it's actually my joint 2nd best time for the half as well - ran the exact same time in the Border Half in Limerick last November.

Nice t-shirt too fwiw and best of all I got to meet Jerry Kiernan :pac:

17/09/2019

8K – 39:03 – Road – NB880

A lovely summers day in Autumn :cool:

This was very much a recovery outing after Charleville - took it very easy and enjoyed the sun.

The legs have been ok-ish the last couple of days - no major reaction during or after today's run.

This will be another low mileage week - physio on Thursday evening so might go for short run maybe on Thursday afternoon and then rest up while enjoying the Trip to Tipp in Thurles (;))

• Advertisement

So no run in the sun today.

Wasn't 100% committed to a run today either way tbh but work deffo took that decision out of my hands anyway :pac:

Had a moment of weakness earlier while reading the Shoes thread in the Gear Forum...a crimson red pair of Nike Pegasus are on the way tomorrow for 80 quid.

Would literally have been a sin not to buy them at that price....they'll be in secure storage (ie. under the bed...my side of the bed) until late spring I'd say :D

20/09/2019

6.10K – 29:55 – Road – NB880

A run with very little athletic merit it has to be said - this was mainly a mindfulness outing in the sun.

Got on well with physio last night - she was actually relatively happy with my calves/Achilles (I think she expected me to be in a mess after Charleville :pac:) so hopefully my current injury shenanigans are coming to an end.

So off to Feile 19 in Thurles tonight and tomorrow - will no doubt be keeping well hydrated and well carbed up for a couple of days....have mentally pencilled in a run for Sunday evening when we get back :eek:

22/09/2019

12K – 57:14 – Road – NP34

This was good prep for the closing stages of the marathon – was feeling tired and slightly queasy following 2 days at Feile 19 in Thurles.

Quick summary:
    Sinead O’Connor – amazing
    Horslips – decent
    The Stunning – decent
    Thin Lizzy Cover Band – bit meh but picked up when original band member Eric Bell appeared
    EMF – good fun, saw them being interview beforehand as well which was interesting
    Therapy? – good performance but never really liked them tbh
    Rain on Saturday night – awful
    Heineken – toxic

Anyway, the run yesterday wasn’t bad – was tempted to go longer but in the circumstances I think 12K was prob enough. Gonna try and target a long run on Thursday evening I think

23/09/2019

10K – 47:59 – Road – NB880

Windy, wet and mild-ish….not the worst running conditions to be fair….this is the first run in a while that I’ve found to be ‘easy’. Only 10K I know but still :-)

Also managed to collect a few conkers and leaves for the young fella’s nature table in Montessori – all the trees near us have been pruned back so I’ll be exporting Tipp conkers back into Limerick.

Lesson of the Day: don’t try to run with spiky conkers in your shorts pocket :pac:

25/09/2019

18.65K – 98:52 – Road/Gravel Path – NP34

Not sure if I should be happy that I managed to drag my ar$e out to UL in the p1ssing rain and dark and run a middling distance….or should I be worried that I’m not running longer distances more comfortably at this stage (?????)

I could deffo have done a few more K but was tired and wet and near the car so decided to cut my losses and head home. I think the flu jab was a factor here possibly – had a shower at home and was absolutely freezing for a couple of hours which is highly unusual for me.

Happy to report no niggles/aches in the calves/Achilles either last night or this morning.

Today will be rest & stretching, lunchtime run tomorrow and longer run (25K+) at the weekend.

27/09/2019

8.85K – 41:35 – Road – AF

Standard enough lunchtime run in warm and windy conditions.

29/09/2019

27.25K – 134:46 – Road – NP34

This should have been 28K but I made a slight miscalculation on the route so fell slightly short.

The first 8K were ropey enough - felt tired and leggy, but then, for no apparent reason, I felt grand and this was a relatively easy run in the end.

Took one short walking break in the last 3K on a long drag but no problems at all besides.

I'm still probably 4-6 weeks behind where I'd like to be I think but if I get another couple of long runs in I may be in ok shape for DCM.

Rest today, lunchtime 10K tomorrow and maybe a midweek longish run on Wednesday night

01/10/2019

10.08K - 46:33 - Road - NB880

Near perfect autumn running conditions in Nenagh this afternoon....blusteryish light wind, dry and about 10 degrees.

My first effort at something approaching a tempo run in ages and it felt hella good to be running "fast" again.

No aches or niggles to report

02/10/2019

18K - 92:11 - Road/Gravel Path - NP34

Decided to get ahead of the storm and went out last night instead of tonight.

Perfect but very eerie conditions around UL - ran down the river bank and have never seen the Shannon as still.

This felt a gazillion times easier than a similar run last week - I guess the flu jab had more of an effect than I'd thought. Kept the pace steadyish around 5 min per km.

Today will be resting and wobble boarding - will have to see what the weather is like tomorrow at lunchtime if I can get out. The young fella has a hurling blitz tomorrow evening as well so may not run again until the weekend.

re: DCM - contemplating going out with the 3:20 pacers and seeing what happens :eek::pac::cool::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Cartman78 wrote: »
    02/10/2019

18K - 92:11 - Road/Gravel Path - NP34

Decided to get ahead of the storm and went out last night instead of tonight.

Perfect but very eerie conditions around UL - ran down the river bank and have never seen the Shannon as still.

This felt a gazillion times easier than a similar run last week - I guess the flu jab had more of an effect than I'd thought. Kept the pace steadyish around 5 min per km.

Today will be resting and wobble boarding - will have to see what the weather is like tomorrow at lunchtime if I can get out. The young fella has a hurling blitz tomorrow evening as well so may not run again until the weekend.

re: DCM - contemplating going out with the 3:20 pacers and seeing what happens :eek::pac::cool::eek::eek:

Fair play!! & best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Fair play!! & best of luck :)

Cheers :)

Never sure if anyone actually reads any of my rambling training log at all half the time.

I actually feel quite happy with my current state of marathon readiness - normally an Achilles flare up means I'm a complete write off for a longer period.

Maybe it's the wobble-board, maybe it's running in calf compression sleeves :confused: ...or maybe I'm completed deluded :pac::pac::pac::pac:

All will be revealed in 24 days time I guess

Advertisement