Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Drones in Parks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Being flown fast and wildly right over my head and near my face at times. If it hit me i I would have been seriously injured by it. I was lying down in the sun and it was purposely flown over me. I got up and left and was then followed by it and it flew very close over my head. If that’s not menacing ? If a person acted in such a way towards you and then proceeded to follow you what would you do ? If they got close to your personal space in a threatening fashion you’d defend yourself right ? So what’s the difference here ? I felt a threat and would have been within my rights to defend myself and next time if it happens again I will.

I'd probably ask nicely for them to fly it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

If I am in a park, a place to go to enjoy nature and being outdoors, the last thing I want is a drone buzzing around me. They should be banned from parks. I don’t want to worry about privacy either. It’s one thing a human holding a camera who might happen to snap me using a very good camera from a distance but it is astonishing to see those in this thread don’t appreciate the different quality of experience that the OP had to that. Good on you for flipping the finger. As for the parents and child it might teach them to consider others in invading natural spaces with noisy, intrusive electronic devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

SteM wrote: »
    There are signs up in Corkagh Park saying they're not allowed, I'm surprised there aren't signs about it in all city parks.
    Agreed. OP consider writing to the St Anne’s management to ask them to ban drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This didn't happen. The OPs depth perception is clearly off. And he is outwardly angry.

Anyone who wilfully compares themselves to Michael Douglas in a movie needs assistance with social skills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

So much nonsense OP.

Anyway, the real, legal rules related to RPAS usage in Ireland are detailed in https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/legislation/statutory-instruments-(orders)/small-unmanned-aircraft-(drones)-and-rockets-order-s-i-563-of-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=26f50bf3_8

The gist of it is.

Not closer than 30 meters to a person not under the control of the pilot. If that group of people is 12 or more then it’s 120 meters.Permission is required from the land owner and if within class C airspace, a permit from the IAA.In the case of park, it would fall under the 120 meter rule and if operated by a council would require written permission to use the drone.

All the depends on the size of the drone.

Now, regards the nonsense.

1st Drones fall under privacy laws like all cameras. You have no right to privacy in public and I can walk right up to you and take pictures but in actuality, noone is taking pictures of you because your are not as interesting as you think you are in your head.

2nd Your right to defend yourself is with reasonable force to protect yourself. You were never in danger from what was likely 50 quid toy drone being flown by a child and parents (for your education the destruction of a proper RPAS that is registered with the IAA is classed as attacking an aircraft) so your defense wouldn’t hold much water given you could have, call the gaurds, asked the person to stop, left the area, weren’t in any actual danger of harm etc etc

But good on you giving them the finger instead of acting like a grown up and talking to them. We need more rational, level headed people like you in society

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

listermint wrote: »
    This didn't happen. The OPs depth perception is clearly off. And he is outwardly angry.

Anyone who wilfully compares themselves to Michael Douglas in a movie needs assistance with social skills

That was a joke, lighten up.

Reati wrote: »
    So much nonsense OP.

Anyway, the real, legal rules related to RPAS usage in Ireland are detailed in https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/legislation/statutory-instruments-(orders)/small-unmanned-aircraft-(drones)-and-rockets-order-s-i-563-of-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=26f50bf3_8

The gist of it is.

Not closer than 30 meters to a person not under the control of the pilot. If that group of people is 12 or more then it’s 120 meters.Permission is required from the land owner and if within class C airspace, a permit from the IAA.In the case of park, it would fall under the 120 meter rule and if operated by a council would require written permission to use the drone.

All the depends on the size of the drone.

Now, regards the nonsense.

1st Drones fall under privacy laws like all cameras. You have no right to privacy in public and I can walk right up to you and take pictures but in actuality, noone is taking pictures of you because your are not as interesting as you think you are in your head.

2nd Your right to defend yourself is with reasonable force to protect yourself. You were never in danger from what was likely 50 quid toy drone being flown by a child and parents (for your education the destruction of a proper RPAS that is registered with the IAA is classed as attacking an aircraft) so your defense wouldn’t hold much water given you could have, call the gaurds, asked the person to stop, left the area, weren’t in any actual danger of harm etc etc

But good on you giving them the finger instead of acting like a grown up and talking to them. We need more rational, level headed people like you in society

It’s great that you were there to witness this 50 quid toy drone flying over my head and in my face. I can tell you now it was not a 50 quid plastic drone and I can tell you this if it happens again I’ll be protecting my space. I’ll take my chances with the law. I won’t have anyone fly something near me in a dangerous fashion and think that I just have to deal with it. As far as I’m concerned this drones posed a danger to my person. To mitigate this danger to myself I can defend myself using reasonable force. Just like if a dog was off his leash and running at me in a threatening manner. The law doesn’t just protect drones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

It’s great that you were there to witness this 50 quid toy drone flying over my head and in my face. I can tell you now it was not a 50 quid plastic drone and I can tell you this if it happens again I’ll be protecting my space. I’ll take my chances with the law. I won’t have anyone fly something near me in a dangerous fashion and think that I just have to deal with it. As far as I’m concerned this drones pose a danger when flow close to people. If I feel my life was under threat then I can defend myself using reasonable force. Just like if a dog was off his leash and running at me in a threatening manner. The law doesn’t just protect drones.

Yeah, blablabla, Keyboard Warrior.
    One question, o mighty hardman, how do you know they were recording you? Did it have a camera attached? Was it recording at the time?
    You see a family doing something fun together and the first thing you do is give them the finger?
    I'd recommend counseling and anger management for you.
    If you suddenly start windmilling like a nutter and smashing someone's property, you will most likely traumatise their kids as they see a complete lunatic attacking their property. But you don't strike me as the kind of person who cares. I guess you don't have kids, or they're with their mother after the inevitable divorce, so you carry a lot of unresolved issues.
    You may want to address those.

Gangu wrote: »
    If I am in a park, a place to go to enjoy nature and being outdoors, the last thing I want is a drone buzzing around me. They should be banned from parks. I don’t want to worry about privacy either. It’s one thing a human holding a camera who might happen to snap me using a very good camera from a distance but it is astonishing to see those in this thread don’t appreciate the different quality of experience that the OP had to that. Good on you for flipping the finger. As for the parents and child it might teach them to consider others in invading natural spaces with noisy, intrusive electronic devices.

Thanks but we are in the minority here. People on this thread seem to be in a favor of a world where citizens with drones willfully capture our every move for their personal or kids entertainment. Christ it’s like an episode of Black Mirror.

Yeah, blablabla, Keyboard Warrior.
    One question, o mighty hardman, how do you know they were recording you? Did it have a camera attached? Was it recording at the time?

Defending myself is not acting a hard man. I’m a very placid person. Recording or not it got too close and I’m within my rights to defend myself. Similar to a dog running to attack me. If people don’t take responsibility for their drones then it’s not my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Defending myself is not acting a hard man. I’m a very placid person. Recording or not it got too close and I’m within my rights to defend myself.

You gave the finger and expressed a desire to smash the drone.
    You should consider therapy.

You gave the finger and expressed a desire to smash the drone.
    You should consider therapy.

Never said I would smash it sorry. Gave the finger because my privacy was rudely invaded. You might be ok with that but I don’t have to be. Maybe I could have acted more diplomatically but I still stand on defending myself if they fly near me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

It’s great that you were there to witness this 50 quid toy drone flying over my head and in my face. I can tell you now it was not a 50 quid plastic drone and I can tell you this if it happens again I’ll be protecting my space. I’ll take my chances with the law. I won’t have anyone fly something near me in a dangerous fashion and think that I just have to deal with it. As far as I’m concerned this drones posed a danger to my person. To mitigate this danger to myself I can defend myself using reasonable force. Just like if a dog was off his leash and running at me in a threatening manner. The law doesn’t just protect drones.

That's some chip on your shoulder to be carrying around. Do you also go around looking for fights or just with kids and on boards?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

OP, what distance in mathematical measurement terms was the drone to your face? Based on your hysterical descriptions, it seems as if they were focused specifically on you, which as a complete randomer in a large park, I find a little implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That was a joke, lighten up.

Lighten up ?

Lol.

I'm not the one sticking my fingers up in public at inanimate objects.

You are nicely tying a bow in my assumption that you have anger issues. Why didn't you go over to the family and punch someone. Let it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

People on this thread seem to be in a favor of a world where citizens with drones willfully capture our every move for their personal or kids entertainment.

Why would they have any interest in recording footage of you?

Lots of people have this unwarranted idea that if a drone is nearby then it must be recording them. It’s crazy. You aren’t that interesting.

Here we go. Drag the OP down into the doldrums and make them look like a lunatic for not wanting a airborne recording device flying dangerously close to them. My position remains. I’ll let you throw out insults here and hopefully it will make you all feel sensible. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I’ll plead self defense as it’s an unwarranted invasion of my privacy and my space.

Ah yes, the expectation of privacy in a public park.

Madness. So a drone can hover over my head and record me and there is nothing I can do about it ? If anything flies close to me I’ll be defending myself. I’ll take the risk. Sorry, but that is complete madness how a permit is not required to fly something that has the same rights an aircraft. Most drone owners don’t have permits so how could any law be applied ?

Do you have a permit to be in a park? Hey, where's your shoe permit?

Couldn’t care if a photographer is far away as obviously there is nothing I can do about in a public place. If a photographer comes near with me with a camera in a menacing - threatening fashion just like the drone then yes I’ll be defending myself and I’m within my rights to do so.

Here we have a person promising to engage in illegal activity against anyone they see acting in a specified legal manner.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Here we have a person promising to engage in illegal activity against anyone they see acting in a specified legal manner.

So, tell me this. If a photographer came up close to your face and started dangerously waving his camera nearly hitting you and then when you walk away he proceeds to follow you, you would do nothing? If a dog goes to attack you, would you just lie there and ask the owner to politely call their dog off ? Do you really believe that you would act in such a fashion ? Give us your real answer, not some populous opinion that makes you look sensible in front of your friends here. By defending myself under threat I am in no way engaging in illegal activity so please stop suggesting such.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Why does everyone now think any footage of a child, even one caught accidentally in the background of a photo or video is going to be used by some crazy paedophile?

Why does everyone now think any footage of a child, even one caught accidentally in the background of a photo or video is going to be used by some crazy paedophile?

Different scenario. This wasn’t a family photo. It was a drone flying over peoples head in a park. The family were not in any of the pictures. They were standing quite a distance away actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Different scenario. This wasn’t a family photo. It was a drone flying over peoples head in a park. The family were not in any of the pictures. They were standing quite a distance away actually.

How do you know there are any pictures at all? How do you know they were recording anything?

How do you know there are any pictures at all? How do you know they were recording anything?

How do you know it was not recording ?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

So? Who’s going to do what with an overhead shot of kids in a park 100 feet below? I don’t own a drone, but what is the concern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes, this one was flying very close. I did feel endangered and I’ll be protecting myself next time if one comes as close.

Good luck protecting yourself when a dozen scrotes go after you for smashing their drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

So, tell me this. If a photographer came up close to your face and started dangerously waving his camera nearly hitting you and then when you walk away he proceeds to follow you, you would do nothing? If a dog goes to attack you, would you just lie there and ask the owner to politely call their dog off ? Do you really believe that you would act in such a fashion ? Give us your real answer, not some populous opinion that makes you look sensible in front of your friends here. By defending myself under threat I am in no way engaging in illegal activity so please stop suggesting such.

..and if a dog with a camera attached to his head comes running towards you I can see World War three breaking out ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The only problem is the the scenarios you describe above are nothing like the drone situation you describe in your posts. Either you’re leaving out significant details of how menacing this drone was, or your comparisons between it and a dog/paparazzi attack are laughably inaccurate and exaggerated.

If a dog walked past you, would you kick it? If somebody standing right beside you took a panorama photo that included you in it, would you grab their camera? If a kid came running towards you with his mum’s phone making a video, would you knock him to the ground?

Just out of interest, exactly how close was this drone to you? You seem to be making out like it was hovering over your nose like a wasp

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Good luck protecting yourself when a dozen scrotes go after you for smashing their drone.

I’ll take my chances. Similar to scrotes who own dogs and let them run free without muzzles in parks. I won’t sit back and say ahhh it’s ok sure it’s a public place it’s expected that we might be mauled or followed by recording aircrafts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement