Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling your parents ma'am/sir

Options
  • 20-09-2019 6:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Is this exclusively American? I was watching a YouTube episode of The World's Strictest Parents and in some, they made the teens call them ma'am/sir.

I think though they just did that cause they weren't their parents and just other adults and wanted them to show respect. Surely they don't make their kids call them ma'am/sir. That's just weird. But maybe not according to some.

Have you ever heard that here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

He got an unmerciful “slagging” over it. Among other things.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

That's pretty cute tbh.

I don't want to paint with a broad brush, but anyone who has their kids call them "sir" is probably a nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The worse is the edgey hip teenagers that call their mothers by their first name like it makes them so cool and badass.

Couldn’t even make themselves a cheese sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm 64 and I address my mother as "Mam", the Irish version (or Yorkshire) not the American "ma'am". No one slags me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Never heard an Irish person call his/her father sir but as you know it's very common to call one's mother mam in Ireland which is a homophone of ma'am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A quite serious question that is tangential to constant shít posting of the O.P...!
    How to I put someone on ignore if I'm using the legacy site on mobile?

When I was in secondary school, my Mum had to write a note to explain my absence on the day before.

She wrote, "Miltiades wasn't in school yesterday as he had to help his Daddy with the calves"

For years after, if I was late for anything, my friends would say "We're you helping daddy with the calves?" I dont see why it was strange to call your Dad Daddy tbh, but it was cringe worthy at the time.

banie01 wrote: »
    A quite serious question that is tangential to constant shít posting of the O.P...!
    How to I put someone on ignore if I'm using the legacy site on mobile?

Ask your kids to help you.
    I’m sure they will reply with a yes, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭corner of hells

banie01 wrote: »
    How to I put someone on ignore of I'm using the legacy site on mobile?

I feel your anguish , unfortunately I can't help you .
    I'm in work all weekend so can't drink however I'm thinking of eating a dead badger I found on the road.
    She's not happy with this but I'm hoping to get sectioned from A&E after I recover from food poisoning and/or rabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

BDI wrote: »
    The worse is the edgey hip teenagers that call their mothers by their first name like it makes them so cool and badass.

Couldn’t even make themselves a cheese sandwich.
    I've always called my parents by their first names, since that's what everyone else called them.

And my cheese, Tayto, and apple sandwiches are top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP watches an extreme case on YouTube and extrapolates it to life in Ireland. You need to get out more.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I've always called my parents by their first names, since that's what everyone else called them.

And my cheese, Tayto, and apple sandwiches are top notch.

Oooooh awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I’ve friends from Northern Ireland in their 30s that still say mummy and daddy. Seems to be common enough up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The yanks use sir and maam a lot in general, especially texas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its exclusively American.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Military culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BDI wrote: »
    Ask your kids to help you.
    I’m sure they will reply with a yes, sir.

You mean talk to the little Bollox?
    Really? Like approach him as a near equal with a modicum of respect to make a request for help?
    Rather than order him to do it?

Ah feck it, I'll just click on the desktop option stick the textually diarrhoea afflicted keyboard vomited on ignore the old fashioned way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Marian Keyes calls her mother Mammy Keyes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0008j6q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭blackcard

Calling Bob, Jim, Tom, Dan as Bobby, Jimmy, Tommy and Danny is okay but calling your mother mammy is something you should be slagged for? Get over it, it is only a word and it shows serious childish immaturity to slag someone over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Is this exclusively American?

It's not common at all there. Most American children would call their parents mom and dad. I have never heard an American child call his or her father "sir".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

One of the lads in work (who's in his early 50), often refers to his 'Mammy'. It sounds slightly funny but I've no problem with it. The only comment I've heard anyone make about it was from one of the women, who thinks it's cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ma'am/sir is certainly over the top unless one's parents are titled. For the rest of us, 'Mother' and 'Father' are the appropriate terms. I find 'Mama' and 'Papa' too casual. 'Mater' and 'Pater' just pretentious. 'Mum', 'Mam', 'Dad', etc, well, your fate in the lower echelons of society is inescapable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vita nova wrote: »
    Never heard an Irish person call his/her father sir but as you know it's very common to call one's mother mam in Ireland which is a homophone of ma'am.

It's a shortened version of mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

It's not common at all there. Most American children would call their parents mom and dad. I have never heard an American child call his or her father "sir".

I've heard a kid saying it once or twice in Georgia. Must be more common in the Bible Belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mam, Dad. Simple...I’d find it fûcking weird for anyone to call their parents...Patrick, Marion etc to be honest. Why do people just have to be weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Ma'am/sir is certainly over the top unless one's parents are titled. For the rest of us, 'Mother' and 'Father' are the appropriate terms. I find 'Mama' and 'Papa' too casual. 'Mater' and 'Pater' just pretentious. 'Mum', 'Mam', 'Dad', etc, well, your fate in the lower echelons of society is inescapable.

I wonder if it would be acceptable to call your dad sir if he was for example knighted. Like Andy Murray's kids saying to their friends, hey sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Married couples addressing each other as Mammy and Daddy is a bit weird.

On that note, John Lennon called Yoko 'Mother', even before she had Sean.

The Sir, Ma'am thing is probably cultural. Irish people are very informal, we pretty much address everyone by their first names . Having dealt with American customers in a call centre, most of them addressed me as ma'am. I found it very grating but they were just being polite. I think expecting your kids to address you this way is extremely authoritarian. I doubt it's common practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I wonder if it would be acceptable to call your dad sir if he was for example knighted. Like Andy Murray's kids saying to their friends, hey sir.

I dont think so. I think its really only appropriate for hereditary titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's a shortened version of mammy.
    I know, hence a homophone, different meaning and spelling but the same pronunciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If they were knighted, were conferred with an honoury doctorate and held a PhD you would have to say 'Sir Dr.Dr. Dad'?

Advertisement