Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

macslash wrote: »
    Booked flights last night. Heading over the 17th and home the 29th. My brother got quarter final tickets so I'll be meeting him out there. Staying until the 29th as will hope to make the semi final should we get there (Or not).
    Was looking there, and the semi final is in Yokohama, which is very close to Tokyo. Would I need to book those train tickets in advance? Or would there be other ways of getting there? Thanks

Book on the day as far as I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'm not going to the rugby, but am going to the Tokyo Olympics next year. Right now, a year out, accommodation prices are scandalous. I'm taking €100 a night for those awful capsule hotels, and €300 a night for a normal hotel. The amount of hotels available is quite small too.

Can any of you who are going to Japan for the rugby tell me your accommodation experiences? Were the prices crazy a year out, but then drop as the event got closer? How much are you paying?

Have you tried AirBnB? Very reasonable rates when traveling in a group. I havent booked any hotels for the World Cup, just AirBnBs and hostels too. I think even at the best of times a hotel isnt meant to be great value

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

I'm not going to the rugby, but am going to the Tokyo Olympics next year. Right now, a year out, accommodation prices are scandalous. I'm taking €100 a night for those awful capsule hotels, and €300 a night for a normal hotel. The amount of hotels available is quite small too.

Can any of you who are going to Japan for the rugby tell me your accommodation experiences? Were the prices crazy a year out, but then drop as the event got closer? How much are you paying?

Got a 4 star hotel in Shinjuku for 6 nights with breakfast included with free cancellation for €940. Only booked it last week. So that is under €80pp/pn which is okay.

The Olympics is a different animal though as it'll be based solely in and around Toyko I'd imagine. Whereas for the rugby, the games are spread out around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

sjlc wrote: »
    Have you tried AirBnB? Very reasonable rates when traveling in a group. I havent booked any hotels for the World Cup, just AirBnBs and hostels too. I think even at the best of times a hotel isnt meant to be great value

Slight worry with airbnbs is the host cancelling close to the event. Airbnb will compensate you a bit but nowhere near enough to book say Olympics accommodation last minute.

For the original question, I'm looking at an average of 35 per night for 3 weeks, some capsule hotels, some hostels, some nice enough hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Brozy wrote: »
    Got a 4 star hotel in Shinjuku for 6 nights with breakfast included with free cancellation for €940. Only booked it last week. So that is under €80pp/pn which is okay.

The Olympics is a different animal though as it'll be based solely in and around Toyko I'd imagine. Whereas for the rugby, the games are spread out around the country.

Are you sharing with somebody? Otherwise there's no way 940 into 6 nights is 80 per night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

AdamD wrote: »
    Slight worry with airbnbs is the host cancelling close to the event. Airbnb will compensate you a bit but nowhere near enough to book say Olympics accommodation last minute.

For the original question, I'm looking at an average of 35 per night for 3 weeks, some capsule hotels, some hostels, some nice enough hotels.

There are some new laws coming in re Air Bnb in Japan so I just don't trust it.

Bring the best ear plugs in the business for capsule hotels. Did it 11 years ago. 10 lads snoring all at once. Weird experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Olympics would be a much bigger affair than the rugby, for example London 2012 had 470,000 people travel just for the Olympics and most staying in London, 2015 RWC had 400,000 people and that was spread across England.

I doubt prices will drop closer to the event, if anything they'll probably creep higher and higher due to demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Are you sharing with somebody? Otherwise there's no way 940 into 6 nights is 80 per night. :)

Yeah, there's 2 of us.

We're staying in hotels at each stop and it's working out at about €45 each a night on average. Could have been cheaper but we opted for breakfast included and free cancellation. Keeping an eye out for better deals as we get closer to the dates. Might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Booked all out accommodation on Airbnb, a combination of hotels being tiny and the price, ie. got 2 or three bedroom apartments for half the price of a hotel room. If someone cancels our Airbnb we can just stump up for a hotel or book another.

I like the host contact and info, contact you get from the Airbnb hosts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Selling two Cat B tickets for the Ireland v Russia game in Kobe. PM if anyone is interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

There are some new laws coming in re Air Bnb in Japan so I just don't trust it.

The new laws are in, they were around host registration which is now mandatory so perfectly trustworthy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Dav010 wrote: »
    I would just be concerned that I’m in a pub, throwing back the pints, then I find I’m out of cash, they don’t take the Revulut card I’m relying on, and I’ve got to go find a PO that’s open or a 7eleven that doesn’t have ques and isn’t out of cash from the tens of thousands of rugby tourists using them.

I just ordered a Revulut card, I’ll bring it just in case, but plenty of cash is the way to go.

There are over 20,000 7-11 stores in Japan and 2,700 of them are in Tokyo. You'll be grand.

Finding one of the handful of Citibank ATMs that worked in 2002 was a real 2am drunken treasure hunt (no 7-11 machines back then).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Popeleo wrote: »
    There are over 20,000 7-11 stores in Japan and 2,700 of them are in Tokyo. You'll be grand.

Finding one of the handful of Citibank ATMs that worked in 2002 was a real 2am drunken treasure hunt (no 7-11 machines back then).

Yeah, there are ATMs all over the place in Tokyo. All convenience stores seem to have them so no issue finding one. Also, I've seen lots of places with signs "We love Visa, Official Tokyo 2020 partner" or something to that effect, so lots of places now taking card too ahead of the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Be fine even outside of Toyko I'm in Kurashiki Okayama it's countryside really and still no hassle getting an atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm going to both. The Rugby is much cheaper than the Olympics. Got an AirBnb apartment for 4 nights during the Olympics for €1050. Hope the host doesn't cancel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm going to both. The Rugby is much cheaper than the Olympics. Got an AirBnb apartment for 4 nights during the Olympics for €1050. Hope the host doesn't cancel though.

The rugby is much cheaper as it is taking place around many cities in Japan while the Olympics is all around Tokyo

one rugby game taking place for one night in a city the size of Tokyo has limited impact. Even the smaller cities are not too badly impacted by a few thousand people for a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like Cathay Pacific suspending Dublin to Hong Kong flights from 7th November. Timed it after RWC final so hopefully doesn't inconvenience any/many going via that way. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0912/1075435-dublin-belfast-routes-axed/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, there are ATMs all over the place in Tokyo. All convenience stores seem to have them so no issue finding one. Also, I've seen lots of places with signs "We love Visa, Official Tokyo 2020 partner" or something to that effect, so lots of places now taking card too ahead of the Olympics.

Have you tried them? Most ATMs won’t work with foreign cards. Mind you it’s been a while since I was there - the 7-11 ones didn’t work either back then and I had to scramble to find post offices every time I needed cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wouldn't trust the card working everywhere. Cash is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

finbarrk wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the card working everywhere. Cash is king.

cash is King but I still think its crazy to bring weeks worth of cash around with you

Just take out cash when opp arises - there are 7-11s everywhere and plenty of POs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Anyone out there yet? And what’s the heat like?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

One tip from personal experience - we started looking at accommodation a year ago for the RWC and it seems that Japanese hotels and B&Bs etc don't all load up their inventory till much closer to the arrival date, compared with EU and US.

I did a good bit of reading on this, as there seemed to be nothing in Kobe a year out, for example. There were posts and threads popping up in Google with advice from other travellers, saying that some hotels wait till 6 months before to load up their inventory. Then the prices seemed to get a lot more reasonable. I know I couldn't get the full availability of hotels till around March of this year.

So maybe availability and prices will become more favourable for you in a few months? My 2c.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Have you tried them? Most ATMs won’t work with foreign cards. Mind you it’s been a while since I was there - the 7-11 ones didn’t work either back then and I had to scramble to find post offices every time I needed cash.

Yup. My TransferWise card has worked in the ATM I used in the airport and in all the 7-11 shops I tried in Tokyo no bother. Also I've used my card to pay in a number of pubs, cafes and in a Don Quixote shop.

Anyone out there yet? And what’s the heat like?

Tuesday and Wednesday it was awful. 32/33 degrees but the humidity was 85%. Was really sticky. Today was nice though. 28 degrees, with a breeze and humidity was only 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Japan is the most technologically advanced society in the world, I wouldn't worry about access to funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You'd be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

Has anyone purchased Yen before travelling and where did they get it and how was the exchange rate. I went to order some in AIB and was told it’s not a currency they do. Definitely looking to have some cash with me for when I arrive given what I’ve read.

comment wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased Yen before travelling and where did they get it and how was the exchange rate. I went to order some in AIB and was told it’s not a currency they do. Definitely looking to have some cash with me for when I arrive given what I’ve read.

I didn't get any Yen before I arrived. I used my card to withdraw some cash in the 7-11 shop located in the train station level of Narita airport. Honestly, you'll be grand.

Also, I couldn't help myself going to the RWC megastore here in Tokyo and getting carried away in all the excitement and buying this 😠Paid for it with my MasterCard (which is plastered all over the place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Flying out on 8th of October to Kagoshima down south with a pal and starting a 2200km unsupported bike race across Japan and with a bit of luck we'll be riding into Tokyo a few days before the Semi's :)

Advertisement