Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Irish forestry fund.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tow wrote: »
    There is still PRSI and USC to pay, it is only Income Tax exempt. You should be filling up A Form 11/12 next year for the payment.

Does anyone have figures to hand on the amount of Government Grant they received, per fund, hector share etc?

you're kidding, right - PRSI and USC on this pittance ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galwaygirl192

As my mother said, they've pulled the wool over all our eyes bar Mr.Brosnan's himself.

Should we be surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Tow

galwaytt wrote: »
    you're kidding, right - PRSI and USC on this pittance ?

Actually probably not, any gain (probably a loss when inflation applied) is under the various limits.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Davo222

Tow wrote: »
    There is still PRSI and USC to pay, it is only Income Tax exempt. You should be filling up A Form 11/12 next year for the payment.

Does anyone have figures to hand on the amount of Government Grant they received, per fund, hector share etc?
    no tax due on forestry investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

millb wrote: »
    Reasonable Post ... I had a Forestry Investment Plan (10th) that gave roughly 1.x% ROI.. IIRC 2 or 3 years ago and that was very poor... and a signal / warning ...

I also got a cheque today for the 6th Fund (1999) which gave me a ROI of 2.79% compounded monthly.. (over 20 years)

That return is not great and ~half of what I expected (eg 6+%) at the start.

I can see why they "sold-up" and compared to many "investment" schemes at least one got the money back plus something to account for inflation !! No Tax phew.. Their accounts seemed to be in reasonable order but ultimate profit dependent on timing / mixed factors etc... They should have had a RISK / return scenario graph on each annual account to manage expectations and show how their cost model had deviated over time..

I have to say I cannot see why they sold up at this stage and that is the main issue for me in this.

AXA clearly see a profit to be made in their investment so there would have to be a clear rationale for the fund manager to sell now. They need to clearly set out the reasons why they saw no additional value for shareholders in the next 10 years to maturity.

Its galling that after 20 years the return on investment per share is probably the equivalent of 1 weeks salary for Brosnan etc. Who will continue to earn a salary off this investment gonng forward.

So in effect, taking into account inflation etc, all we get as original shareholders is our original money back and all the 'extra' value has funded salaries/fees for 20 years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Spain Calling

Look, all of these company directors and spin offs are NOT impacted whatsoever in this investment. They had and still have a good life from their salaries accrued from our investments and government grants and they are fully aware what they are doing to the investors and have no regrets at all. In their company philosophy we are not ordinary Irish people trying to invest personal money in the hope of a satisfactory gain. Instead we are a share holder number putting money into their plans for a better and richer life. Get out there right now on any social media platform you can and tell the facts. Quote factual information from this forum if you want. Continue with this until further action is taken up by a group of shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Look, all of these company directors and spin offs are NOT impacted whatsoever in this investment. They had and still have a good life from their salaries accrued from our investments and government grants and they are fully aware what they are doing to the investors and have no regrets at all. In their company philosophy we are not ordinary Irish people trying to invest personal money in the hope of a satisfactory gain. Instead we are a share holder number putting money into their plans for a better and richer life. Get out there right now on any social media platform you can and tell the facts. Quote factual information from this forum if you want. Continue with this until further action is taken up by a group of shareholders.

Post up a link to the social media posts you have done thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

Reply from Paul "thank you fro your e mail I will be away from the office until the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ForFsSake

I have to say I cannot see why they sold up at this stage and that is the main issue for me in this.

I agree.

The accounts go on about Brexit uncertainty so for this and many other reasons I think we should have left them in the ground growing for another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ForFsSake

antietam1 wrote: »
    Reply from Paul "thank you fro your e mail I will be away from the office until the 29th.

He doesn't say which month though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭howsshenow

Absolutely disgusted myself and wish shareholders taking action the very best in their endeavours.
    I had 1 share in Fourth fund = €1,096.90

But From a Cynical point of view surely these Directors are legends among the Professional/ Wealthy even Political classes… They have taken money from the working/middle class people and put it to productive use, generated employment, helped the Country reduce its carbon footprint etc etc
    "Supposedly" all the while complying with Corporate rules and regulations.

And the investors even got their money back with a dividend.

There will be Companies queuing up to get these guy onto their Boards of Directors.

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It seems clear to me why they sold up early - they got an offer for the whole kit and caboodle.
    Back a few years ago they were struggling to close off some of the 'growth' funds - investors were waiting for 2 years iirc after the fund had matured to get their return and then it was even worse than many of the refurns today are showing.

It's a very poor return for sure, but I can understand why the directors made the choice they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Tow

Phoebas wrote: »
    It seems clear to me why they sold up early - they got an offer for the whole kit and caboodle.

And the continued job of managing the kit and caboodle, so no having to deal with the unwashed public with their Mickey Mouse investments. Win Win.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

howsshenow wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusted myself and wish shareholders taking action the very best in their endeavours.
    I had 1 share in Fourth fund = €1,096.90

But From a Cynical point of view surely these Directors are legends among the Professional/ Wealthy even Political classes… They have taken money from the working/middle class people and put it to productive use, generated employment, helped the Country reduce its carbon footprint etc etc
    "Supposedly" all the while complying with Corporate rules and regulations.

And the investors even got their money back with a dividend.

There will be Companies queuing up to get these guy onto their Boards of Directors.

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread.

I'm sensing the Irony is Strong with that Post :P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Phoebas wrote: »
    Back a few years ago they were struggling to close off some of the 'growth' funds - investors were waiting for 2 years iirc after the fund had matured to get their return and then it was even worse than many of the refurns today are showing.

It's a very poor return for sure, but I can understand why the directors made the choice they made.

Oh I can do, but for different reasons.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Question was asked how much government grant would of been available. From memory it was about 120 punts or euro I can't remember per acre per year for the first 20 years if you were a farmer, 15years plus a lower grant of about 80/acre a year for business investors
    Then no more grants.

Actually when I wrote this I copped on why management would sell this investment at 20 years. The yearly grants had dried up. At around year 20 you do the first thinning but you would make very little from it by the time contractors are paid most would be lucky to break even.
    So if you were managing this portfolio where would cashflow come from while you waited till maturity.

The return you guys got is bad. But was never going to return what you were told at the start. But if it was me I would of taught you should of got around 2500
    The yearly grant should of covered the management as they had 10000 acres at say 80 an acre is 800k a year to cover maintenance etc and then all the professionals like the directors auditors and advertising, admin rent of office.

Then let's say 30 year clearfell is worth 6-8k an acre. So go with the low side of 6k. Then selling it early you would probably get half the value of it so 3k an acre. Your land is probably worth less than 2k clearfelled. And it cost you 1k to buy it or 2 shares bought an acre at the start (a very low land cost at the start maybe they paid more than 1k an acre).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How many 30 year funds were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

I think there were 7 funds (30 years) and 12 plans (10 and 12 years).

https://www.irish-forestry.ie/irish-forestry-funds.html

https://www.irish-forestry.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FFruits

Ok I actually think each shareholder was charged a fee and this was taken out of our return. I got €1111.28 on my €634 (1 share) investment but I know someone who had 13 shares (£6500 punts worth) of the same fund and got €31,000 approx 7% per year compound. If that was the case I should have got €2300 so I think I’ve been charged €1200 for something and it’s been taken out of my earnings. WTF???? This is getting weirder.

very strange what fund was he /she in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 dan1981

5th Fund €1061.50 2.6%
    7th Fund €1067.58 2.77%

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Miaoem

I think action is required based on how we the shareholders, the people that entrusted our money into these forestry funds with a clear understanding that the returns would be worth the wait of 12 and 30 years. I feel very letdown by the performance of the fund Directors in looking after the best interests of the shareholders, and this was made worst when reading a article where the new owners of the forests see great returns in this deal for their investors. I have emailed Veon several times, without much joy.

So today I emailed two reporters that wrote about the sale in May asking them to revisit their articles now it is proven fund shareholders received poor returns. I hope they take notice and do the right thing and investigate the sale further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neira

Its clear that the interest of the shareholders is not taken into consideration by any of the parties involved in the sale of funds and plans. I do not approve the sale nor will I cash any cheque that lands on my doormat. Accepting the money is agreeing with the sale.

did anybody else out there get 2300 plus for their shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nerine

No I had shares in 7 different growth plans (€750 initial investment) & the most I got for any was €1106.35 & that was for the 6th growth plan (03/12/2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Fourth Forestry plan. 1188.77
    Fifth Forestry plan. 1090.63
    Ninth Forestry plan. 1049.15

Fourth and Fifth were about six months apart (from memory), made noticeable difference in the return

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

Miaoem wrote: »
    I think action is required based on how we the shareholders, the people that entrusted our money into these forestry funds with a clear understanding that the returns would be worth the wait of 12 and 30 years. I feel very letdown by the performance of the fund Directors in looking after the best interests of the shareholders, and this was made worst when reading a article where the new owners of the forests see great returns in this deal for their investors. I have emailed Veon several times, without much joy.

So today I emailed two reporters that wrote about the sale in May asking them to revisit their articles now it is proven fund shareholders received poor returns. I hope they take notice and do the right thing and investigate the sale further.

Paul is away until the 29th, don't know which month.
    When he was here was not replying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robodoc

FFruits wrote: »
    Ok I actually think each shareholder was charged a fee and this was taken out of our return. I got €1111.28 on my €634 (1 share) investment but I know someone who had 13 shares (£6500 punts worth) of the same fund and got €31,000 approx 7% per year compound. If that was the case I should have got €2300 so I think I’ve been charged €1200 for something and it’s been taken out of my earnings. WTF???? This is getting weirder.
    That seems very strange, can you verify number of shares and which fund and amount of cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TreesInvestor

I invested in a number of these funds between 1998 and 2010. Some observations in addition to what was covered by others earlier:

Comparing the returns at time of sale against what the prospectus forecast - the earlier funds delivered the least when compared to what was promised. The Third Irish Forestry Fund - delivered 12% of what was forecast at time of sale. The Sixth Forestry Growth Plan - delivered 62% of what was promised at time of sale. The Ninth Forestry Growth Plan - delivered 73% of what was promised at time of sale. You would've expected the greater potential value to be in the earlier funds which were c.20 years through their growth cycle and would've started when forestry plantations were more in its infancy. Later Funds invested in existing plantations.

There was a time when the covering letter with the annual accounts gave a valuation of the shares. For the earlier funds the last of these were in 2011: e.g. The 'Third' valued at €1,632 in 2011 yet sold in 2019 for €1,313. The 'Fifth' valued at €1,496 in 2011 yet sold for in 2019 for €1,062.

Had shares in the Eleventh Forestry Investment Plan which were valued by 'Irish Forestry Funds' at €1,087 per share in 2014 yet sold for €877 in 2015. I contacted them at the time and got the 'better than average return' line. I did emphasis at the time that they were misleading people by giving valuations and then selling for less than that. They also told me they wouldn't be giving valuations again with the accounts cover letter.

The annual accounts for each of the funds should've given a revised forecast to manage investors expectations. It was obvious they were expecting returns to be less as over time the forecasted return with each new fund decreased from 14.4% to 7.5%.

Disappointed with the auditors - sometimes it is what is not in the accounts is what is missed by them. The accounts were for the benefit of the investors and never included valuations.

Irish Forestry Funds created false expectations in investors heads and continued with this right to the end, even when they would've known for a number of years that they were way under what they promised.

My expectations as to what the final outcome would be for the various funds would have reduced significantly following experiences with funds that liquidated in earlier years. However the announcements which accompanied the sale to Axa gave me false hope. 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...' comes to mind.

Time to move on but will keep in touch with these boards to see if anyone comes up with any possible comebacks which would be happy to be on board with if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FFruits wrote: »

This is obviously wrong. Your friend probably had more shares than she told you, or just made a mistake. What does her statement say?

Advertisement