Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: 'Professionals only' - Daft.ie ordered to block discriminatory terms in ads

Options
  • 20-08-2019 7:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Article in today's Indo spelling out new DAFT rules for advertising property to let.

Gordon Deegan

August 20 2019 5:38 PM

The country’s largest property website, daft.ie has been ordered to block discriminatory advertising using terms like “professionals only” or “rent allowance not accepted”.

It comes after a three year long legal battle between Daft Media Ltd and the Irish Human Rights Commission (IHREC) which took the case.

The Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) said that Daft Media Ltd must “refrain from publishing, displaying or permitting to be published or displayed on its website” discriminatory adverts.

It has also been told develop a methodology to identify, monitor and block discriminatory advertising on its website based on a list of terms of trigger words and phrases provided to them by the IHREC.

The WRC has made the ruling after finding that some rental adverts on daft.ie breached the Equal Status Act on the grounds of family status, age and on the rent allowance ground.

And it rejected daft.ie’s contention that it was a ‘mere conduit’ for online content and that EU law provisions rendered Daft Media Limited immune from the complaint by the Commission.

At any one time, daft.ie lists approximately 70,000 properties for sale or to rent while 2.5 million unique users visit the site each month.

The success of the business has generated millions of euro in dividends over the years for co-founders of the business, brothers, Eamonn and Brian Fallon.

In bringing the complaint, the Commission undertook a review of the daft.ie website in May 2016 and identified a number of adverts that discriminated on HAP, age and family status grounds of the Equal Status Acts.

These adverts included terms directed towards prospective tenants, which read “rent allowance not accepted”; “suit family or professionals only”; “would suit young professionals” and “references required”.

The hearing in the case was heard over three days in March and October of last year and January 11 this year.

In a submission to the WRC, Daft Media Ltd asserted that it is not an advertiser or a publisher but that it is an Information Society Service Provider (ISSP) as defined in the EU e-Commerce directive and that it is not responsible for the content of the material which appears on its website.

Daft Media Ltd argued that the IHREC claim refers to three specific adverts and that any finding made can only be made in respect of these adverts and cannot be extended to include all discriminatory grounds.

It stated that already, any adverts uploaded to the site that contain terms that have been previously reported as discriminatory are diverted to a queue of pending adverts for review.

However, as part of her lengthy ruling, WRC adjudication officer Orla Jones found that Daft Media Ltd “has a vicarious liability for advertisements placed on its website by third parties where these constitute a breach of the Equal Status Act”.

Commission member Tony Geoghegan, who has been a long-standing advocate for homeless people in Ireland, welcomed the ruling.

He said: “In the context of the current crises in homelessness and housing, this ruling marks a significant step in efforts to curtail discriminatory advertising particularly around rental accommodation.”

Daft Media Ltd was contacted for comment on the WRC ruling, but declined to comment.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On the basis of 3 discriminatory advertisements- it appears that DAFT are going to have to fundamentally change their business model. It also appears that its a movable feast- the terms to be outlawed can be notified at will to DAFT and they have to nuke any advertisements using them. Lots of apartments might suit a professional for example (code for its got a tiny kitchen and its wholly impractical to try and cook there on a regular basis (or) its spec'ed improbably high and the landlord is going to have to demand several months rent as a deposit to ensure any accruing damage can be rectified).

I genuinely think that all of these rules are highlighting the necessity to let unfurnished units on the Irish market- with appropriate deposits (appropriate being benchmarked as x number of months rent as a deposit- looking at the multiples in use in other markets that have properties let at comparable rent levels). By all means hold the deposit in escrow- however, collect it and insist on collecting it.

All the changes really demand a seachange on the parts of landlords- which I argue *has* to include giant strides towards letting unfurnished units on the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

I never knew "references required" was discriminatory language. Cant HAP recipients get references from previous landlords or character references?

Soon, landlords will have to hire out the lotto machine to select tenants randomly.

This ruling is a pointless pursuit. There must be an endless line of expressions landlords intent on discriminating can use to replace the banned ones. This wont help HAP recipients who face discrimination, continuing to face discrimination.

A victory for the "homelessness industry", but no solution to the real world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

All it does is waste people’s time. Instead you’ll be discriminated against when you go to view. The reason you didn’t get the place will never be disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I mean they can outlaw what they want - any half-arsed landlord can still find out with ease if their prospective tenant is a "professional" (and what "professional" is code for) or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Won't the same precedents set now have to apply to employment law also? Ie will employers soon not be allowed to check out a prospective new employees work references because to do so is "descriminatory" ?

Seems like a crazy direction to be heading legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Sarn wrote: »
    All it does is waste people’s time. Instead you’ll be discriminated against when you go to view. The reason you didn’t get the place will never be disclosed.

This!
    Landlords can use email to screen ppl also. "Tell me about yourself". Or is that discrimination? :)
    Might be good for agents who can offer screening services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

Just kicking the can down the road where landlords will decide once they meet prospective tenants and ask the relaxant questions about employment and previous references etc. Some people (IHREC) have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

On the basis of 3 discriminatory advertisements- it appears that DAFT are going to have to fundamentally change their business model. It also appears that its a movable feast- the terms to be outlawed can be notified at will to DAFT and they have to nuke any advertisements using them. Lots of apartments might suit a professional for example (code for its got a tiny kitchen and its wholly impractical to try and cook there on a regular basis (or) its spec'ed improbably high and the landlord is going to have to demand several months rent as a deposit to ensure any accruing damage can be rectified).

I genuinely think that all of these rules are highlighting the necessity to let unfurnished units on the Irish market- with appropriate deposits (appropriate being benchmarked as x number of months rent as a deposit- looking at the multiples in use in other markets that have properties let at comparable rent levels). By all means hold the deposit in escrow- however, collect it and insist on collecting it.

All the changes really demand a seachange on the parts of landlords- which I argue *has* to include giant strides towards letting unfurnished units on the Irish market.

The next alteration to the Residential Tenancies Act is likely to include a limit to one month's rent for deposits. The only reason it wasn't included in the 2019 Amendment Act was a lack of time for the Minister to consider it, but he was positively disposed.

Not sure why one would let unfurnished though. It's a significant saving for to let furnished as one can claim the furniture (which is really my own furniture, I can put the old stuff in the rental) against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭Augme

Duckjob wrote: »
    Won't the same precedents set now have to apply to employment law also? Ie will employers soon not be allowed to check out a prospective new employees work references because to do so is "descriminatory" ?

I don't see why the same precedent will have to be set. Employment and service provision is covered by different legalisative acts.

Although even now most multinational companies have stopped giving out work based character references. They will only give out details of employment duration. It's seems most companies feel that giving out a character reference is too much of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Duckjob wrote: »

No, the act is specific to receipt of "rent supplement", not against un-employed in general.

Its a stupid law. Stupid laws lead to stupid court cases.

Writing into the Ad anything discriminatory against rent supplement is the same as saying(in the eyes of the law) no Blacks, no travellers, no Jews, no un-married/men/women/children/(although they seem to care little about that) etc. Saying things like "references only(implying work references)" is just the same as trying to skirt round the issue for the others, although I can't think of a good example of that. You could even argue that requesting months of deposit in advance, or proof of funds is discriminatory to rent supplement as well.

Whats interesting is how they are pushing so hard on this and not the tons of other equal status act abuses in rental adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I wonder if the government have thought about addressing the issues that make landlords reluctant to rent to non-professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Subutai wrote: »
    Not sure why one would let unfurnished though.
    If it's not there, it can't be broken, doesn't need to be replaced when it gets broken, nor does it get worn from use.

It'd also mean that if you're on HAP, you probably won't rent the place that you need your own furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭Augme

Sarn wrote: »

I don't disgree but I also think this is a poor argument against having rules in place. If that was the attitude then we should also scrap discrimination laws in employment as employers can just not give jobs to black/gay/women/Muslims etc if they don't want to.

If the attitude is that "you'll just be discriminated against at interview stage" then maybe steps should be out in place to ensure that it is harder to discriminate against to fix that problem instead of just not bothering to do anything to fix it at all.

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's not there, it can't be broken, doesn't need to be replaced when it gets broken, nor does it get worn from use.

It'd also mean that if you're on HAP, you probably won't rent the place that you need your own furniture.

It's stuff that'd otherwise be in a skip, break away - a month's deposit covers it. Meanwhile some nice new furniture and appliances for yourself is coming out of money otherwise going to tax.

Easy to avoid HAP by seeking bank statements and employment references.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

It's stuff that'd otherwise be in a skip, break away - a month's deposit covers it. Meanwhile some nice new furniture and appliances for yourself is coming out of money otherwise going to tax.

Easy to avoid HAP by seeking bank statements and employment references.

Landlords looking for bank statements... that’s a step too far. No way I’d give that level of personal detail to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not sure why one would let unfurnished though. .

having lived in a country where 95%+ of rentals are unfurnished I'm not quite sure anymore why anyone would let a place fully furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The iron fist comes down on ads featuring sensible comments like "not suitable for couples" on a 6ft by 6ft box room yet broadband providers can offer clearly falsely advertised "unlimited", "no limit" etc broadband packages without a sweet fook being given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

More Lefty BS...this country is on a serious downward spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

Augme wrote: »
    I don't disgree but I also think this is a poor argument against having rules in place. If that was the attitude then we should also scrap discrimination laws in employment as employers can just not give jobs to black/gay/women/Muslims etc if they don't want to.

If the attitude is that "you'll just be discriminated against at interview stage" then maybe steps should be out in place to ensure that it is harder to discriminate against to fix that problem instead of just not bothering to do anything to fix it at all.

When it comes to renting out a property it is a big risk for the LL. No one is saying that you should be able to discriminate based on race, family status, religion etc. LLs want to make sure that the rent will be paid and if there are issues they’ve a better chance of getting rid of the tenant or getting some money back. Checking references gives some idea.

If you employ someone, it is a lot easier to get rid of them then a bad tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

jay0109 wrote: »
    More Lefty BS...this country is on a serious downward spiral
    No-one seems to want to tackle the real problem (the small number of anti-social tenants). Instead landlords are somehow expected to vet tenants to protect both themselves and the neighbours who will have to be alongside the tenant, and yet at the same time they have few tools in order to do so, and can be down tens of thousands if they get it wrong.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Landlords looking for bank statements... that’s a step too far. No way I’d give that level of personal detail to anyone.

All that matters is the running total and the regular salary. Everything else can be redacted, in line with DPC advice.
    having lived in a country where 95%+ of rentals are unfurnished I'm not quite sure anymore why anyone would let a place fully furnished.

It's an allowable expense, and so essentially free furniture and appliances as revenue do not police which house it is placed into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

All that matters is the running total and the regular salary. Everything else can be redacted, in line with DPC advice.

It's an allowable expense, and so essentially free furniture and appliances as revenue do not police which house it is placed into.

Don’t care, my salary is private as is my running total. Talk about giving a landlord carte Blanche to up your rent. Crazy stuff.

Don’t care, my salary is private as is my running total. Talk about giving a landlord carte Blanche to up your rent. Crazy stuff.

The LL is handing you the keys to a property worth several 100 thousand and you expect not to be able to do something as basic as produce a bank statement. Would you try to apply for loan and expect to be able to do it without a bank statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The LL is handing you the keys to a property worth several 100 thousand and you expect not to be able to do something as basic as produce a bank statement. Would you try to apply for loan and expect to be able to do it without a bank statement?

Are landlords qualified to analyse finances?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

It's great that this has been tackled.

Whether you like this specific outcome or not, it does logically lead to the possibility of removing the "free to a loving home" requirement for pet animal adverts.

As proud Chinamen, I'm sure we can all agree that this may work to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Are landlords qualified to analyse finances?

Yes, most of them learn the basics by 3rd class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Prohibiting a LL from seeking references is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This is going to make daft fairly useless for a lot of folks while looking for a place to stay.

An alternative, Facebook etc will surely emerge.

Banning “suit family or professionals only” lolz :pac:

I always thought it meant : "this place isn't cheap as chips or battered to f*ck so not student suitable"

I don't think we're going to be able to legislate our way to rental happiness but we're going to cause agony trying. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just saying, those begrudging the Fallons for making a few bob from Daft need to realise they are also the owners of boards and are financing the forums we post on.

That aside, everything the government has done insofar as meddling in the private rental sector in the last decade has failed - I am hesitant to believe that imposing punitive legal sanctions on the advertisers will have any better outcome.

• Advertisement

Grand so, plenty of other fish in the sea.

What the rent is set at has nothing to do with your finances. That's your business, the rent is the landlord's.

Seeking bank statements in this way is in line with DPC guidance, and the means by which one ensures they rent only to someone from whom they can recover damages if necessary.

Advertisement