Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie hacked?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Oria2
    Reported
    seems like a magical creature. But ill stay away, could have stds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Oria2
    Reported
    seems like a magical creature. But ill stay away, could have stds.

I recommend you stay away from all females in Diceys, coppers or D2 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

Same here, but I actually received a DM same user name, same content

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Same, got a PM from Sara or someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

How can you differentiate between the genuine offers for nudes I'm getting and the spam that everyone else is getting? Just so my inbox isn't deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I got a Boards.ie email from "Siora91" and a p.m. which I haven't opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

do we need to do anything?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Site developers are on the case. At this stage they have not advised any specific actions. There have been the following accounts used overnight:

Siria9
    Siora91
    Siara91
    Oria2

I would suggest deleting any PMs still in your inbox from any of these accounts, but hopefully even if you don't they will disappear some time soon (maybe overnight though as the amount of PMs to be dealt with may put a strain on the servers, and they might want to await a time that is quiet for the site)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

dudara wrote: »
    We are working on restriction measures. We have deleted the spam PMs, but several chronjobs need to run in order for the deletion to take full effect. We have also blocked the bit.ly link. In the meantime, do not click on any links.

Thanks for quick response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

As others, I got the pm too. Reported and deleted.

The thing is...with normal pm's I get a email notification in my email inbox. In this case it went into my spam folder so must have had some sort of a flag on it which is strange as a legit pm and a spam pm are sent from the same boards address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Got the e-mail as well... Rather disappointed to hear its a hoax as I thought I was getting lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I couldn’t find the option to report the PM from my mobile

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I couldn’t find the option to report the PM from my mobile

Unfortunately that's one of the constraints of the Touch site

We do know which accounts have sent them though, and will act to get all of these deleted, but hopefully in the least disruptive (for regular users) way we can

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just noticed the "notice" now.
    I might have ignored it initially or it recently appeared, but good job for putting it up there.
    Maybe add an red exclamation mark to highlight it just in case it is treated as a regular notice and not treated with the urgency that it should be.

Thanks for the suggestion

The office are working on an announcement that should also be linked from the front page

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just noticed the "notice" now.
    I might have ignored it initially or it recently appeared, but good job for putting it up there.
    Maybe add an red exclamation mark to highlight it just in case it is treated as a regular notice and not treated with the urgency that it should be.

Unfortunately one of the constrictions of VBulletin is that we can't make certain notices stand out more than others. However, as Beasty said we have also published a homepage announcement to try to give it more attention and to address concerns that have been raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhholly

I also got a message from Siria9 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Siara19 just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 curlex

I also got an message from Siara19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I got a pm notification for a new PM that took me to an old pm
    You know in the touch version where the pm icon goes red
    I replied to the old one as if it was new :D
    I'm assuming this spam caused it

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Also got a message from Siora91 @ 7:57 this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I feel loved :rolleyes: ... Siora91 said "Hey Honey!)" to me at 07:39 this morning ...

But she's BadSara and DirtySara, so I deleted her message. :D

The email also ended up in my spam folder, so all good there.

Keep up the good work Mods and Developers! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭carolireland

Also got a message which I have deleted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've also received a "Siora91 "Hey Honey!" message, but can't seem to get into my PM's to delete it - coming up as access denied when I even try to go in the main PM area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Siora91 here this morning by PM too

BandMember wrote: »
    I've also received a "Siora91 "Hey Honey!" message, but can't seem to get into my PM's to delete it - coming up as access denied when I even try to go in the main PM area.

That may be down to the measure the development team are trying to deal with this issue

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

BandMember wrote: »

You can't access your PMs at all? And is this from your email or if you click Private Messages in the user dropdown? i.e. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php . What happens when you try to access that link?

If you can't click into the message to mark as read or delete, please use the checkbox to the side and then scroll down to the end of the page and use the dropdown menu to mark as read or delete.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There has been another wave overnight but again, the lads in HQ are doing a trojan job in cleaning up all this mess.

Awkward choice of words given the subject matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Last night, we experienced a high level of new account sign-ups, probably via automated script. These accounts then started sending spam PMs to users, which in turn would have triggered automated email notifications (if enabled by the user).

My own 2 cts would be to disable PM until a minimum post count is reached.

Were the new accounts real people at the other send sending the messages or was it down to malicious code which was running inside boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭bmc58

splinter65 wrote: »
    I heard from Sara too

Same here.But got a warning from my Norton Anti Virus.." DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E MAIL".I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

You can't access your PMs at all? And is this from your email or if you click Private Messages in the user dropdown? i.e. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php . What happens when you try to access that link?

If you can't click into the message to mark as read or delete, please use the checkbox to the side and then scroll down to the end of the page and use the dropdown menu to mark as read or delete.

Thanks Mark. No, I couldn't access my PM's at all (by clicking on Private Messages in the user dropdown. I always enter that way, never via e-mail) but I could access that clicking on that link you sent me.

Once I got in, I deleted the Siofra PM immediately. Do I need to do anything else now or am I back to service as usual?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement