Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Communists tend to to be Atheist?

Options
  • 05-08-2019 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Communism and Atheism tend to go hand in hand. Why is that? A leftist I know explained his opinion on the matter saying that humanity does not need God and humans can find the answers they needs through science.

But according to Proverbs 3:5-6 we should ...

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Obviously this will not mean much to an Atheist but there are fundamental truths connected to this proverb that are hard to dispute.

For example, Communism tends to fail and it only lasts when people do not have a democratic voice. This is because Communism contains in-built errors. Instead of everyone working hard for the good of everyone else, everyone tries to do as little as possible and hope the next guy will do all the work. Or, because they do not trust him to do his share. Christianity tends to be absent in Communist societies, and as mentioned, Communism tends to fail so there may be a connection there.

Another fundamental truth is that trust is a good thing and of course faith and trust are strongly connected. A lot of people tend to think it is a good idea not to trust and these people may have had a lot of bad experiences in their lives but I still say trust is vital if humanity is to survive. Trust should not simply be about eliminating risk and therefore the reason for trust. It is important that people take the risk of trusting each other even if that is not the streetwise thing to do. If you do not trust, you will never find out who is trustworthy and who is not.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As ever, you oversimplify. From the evidence in Acts, the early Christian church appears to have been communist, and communism is firmly rooted in the Christian tradition in the form of monasticism.

Communists tend to be atheist, except for the ones who aren't atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As ever, you oversimplify. From the evidence in Acts, the early Christian church appears to have been communist, and communism is firmly rooted in the Christian tradition in the form of monasticism.

Communists tend to be atheist, except for the ones who aren't atheist.

Modern day Communism tends to be associated with atheism but a commune does not necessarily mean a bunch of Communists. I guess you could say Communists stole the word, just like they steal everything else.

Certainly there are people of faith in Communists societies but they tend not to be the people who are not Communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If we limit the discussion to Marxists, rather than communists in general, then they do tend to be atheist. Which is hardly odd, given Marx himself wrote that religion is the opium of the masses. If your philosophy derives from an anti-religious book, you're probably going to be anti-religious. Does that mean anything deeper? Maybe not. Some folks say that if you're going to worship the state, then there's no room for rivals, but that never stopped the long line of kings and tyrants who wrapped themselves in religious clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

<cough> Liberation theology<cough>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am I wrong?

You are quoting nonsense from the Bible,
    You might as well be quoting from Lord Of The Rings,

So in all honestly, your post is just nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Communism and Atheism tend to go hand in hand. Why is that? A leftist I know explained his opinion on the matter saying that humanity does not need God and humans can find the answers they needs through science.
    Am I wrong?

In a word, yes. Well, at least you're mostly wrong.

At a very basic level you're making a fallacious argument, specifically the fallacy of questionable cause. Just because communism and atheism are sometimes associated doesn't mean that there is necessarily a causal connection. It's the same kind of flawed thinking as the people who claim that evolution leads to atheism or that evolution is inherently atheistic. In fact Aron Ra devoted an entire video (and subsequently chapter) to this idea in his Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism series.

As mikhail explained it makes a difference what flavour of communism you're talking about and in the case of Marxism, its unsurprising that communism borne out of an anti-religious idea would end up atheistic in nature.

For example, Communism tends to fail and it only lasts when people do not have a democratic voice. This is because Communism contains in-built errors. Instead of everyone working hard for the good of everyone else, everyone tries to do as little as possible and hope the next guy will do all the work. Or, because they do not trust him to do his share. Christianity tends to be absent in Communist societies, and as mentioned, Communism tends to fail so there may be a connection there.

You're multiply wrong here.

First, Soviet communism failed but the Communist party of China is still in existence, it's still the ruling party, it's been going for 98 years and it currently has 90 million members. So, you might find it more enlightening to ask why Soviet communism in particular failed as opposed to communism in general.

In an old episode of the Uncommon Knowledge program the late Christopher Hitchens gives an insight into the rise and fall of Soviet communism:

"Until 1917, millions of Russians had been told for…hundreds of years that the czar is the head of the church – which he was, the Russian Orthodox Church. That the leader of the country should be something a little more than human. Not a god, but a little more. He’s not divine, but a holy father
    If you’re Josef Stalin, you shouldn’t be in the dictatorship business if you don’t know how to exploit an inheritance like that: millions of credulous, servile people.
    And what does he do? Lysenko’s biology – miracles, we can have three harvests a year if we believe in Lysenko’s biology. Inquisition, heresy hunt, orthodoxy. Everything comes from the top and must be thanked for, and groveled for. A complete replication of the preceding theocracy."

Second, you're skirting around this idea that communism is either inherently atheistic or leads to atheism and that as such, without the stabilising influence of Christianity any such society is doomed to fail. As it turns out, you're wrong on both counts.

Dealing with your second point first, you're trying, very subtly I might add, to imply that having Christianity might have prevented communism from failing had it been incorporated. This idea is obviously wrong. There are plenty of societies where Christianity has either never played a significant role or no longer plays a significant role and yet are in no danger of collapsing. Japan, for example.

The other point is one that many Christians have made over the years, specifically that a communist society built as it is on atheism is always going to lead to oppression, genocide, famine and eventual societal collapse because something something no morals something something, rant rant Hitler Stalin, or so the argument usually goes. However, as Christopher Hitchens points out:

"For your argument to have…any force at all, you’d have to point to a society that adopted the teachings of Lucretius, Spinoza, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Albert Einstein…and then fell into famine, dictatorship, torture and genocide. And you won’t, I think, be able to point to such. "

But according to Proverbs 3:5-6 we should ...

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Another fundamental truth is that trust is a good thing and of course faith and trust are strongly connected. A lot of people tend to think it is a good idea not to trust and these people may have had a lot of bad experiences in their lives but I still say trust is vital if humanity is to survive. Trust should not simply be about eliminating risk and therefore the reason for trust. It is important that people take the risk of trusting each other even if that is not the streetwise thing to do. If you do not trust, you will never find out who is trustworthy and who is not.

Perhaps you should read a bit more of Proverbs, specifically chapter 14:

"The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps."

You should learn from this sage advice, trusting without reservation is the path to gullibility, to being taken advantage of. Rather than Proverbs 3:5, you should follow the old Russian proverb, trust but verify.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    In a word, yes. Well, at least you're mostly wrong.

I think we should all take a moment to rejoice in the welcome appearance of an oldnwisr post.

Right.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Praise be!

First, Soviet communism failed but the Communist party of China is still in existence, it's still the ruling party, it's been going for 98 years and it currently has 90 million members. So, you might find it more enlightening to ask why Soviet communism in particular failed as opposed to communism in general.

Everyone knows China is only claiming to still be Communist. If there was any doubt, they could perhaps keep up a pretense to being Communist but even a pretense is out of the question. China is capitalist and therefore it is a benign fascist dictatorship which benefits most of it`s people and oppresses those it considers subversive.

That said, not every country that claims to be a democracy is a democracy. In fact most countries with "democratic" in the name are not democracies. The former GDR was one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Democratic People's Republic of Korea is not best Korea.

• Advertisement

you should follow the old Russian proverb, trust but verify.

You learned of that proverb from one of my former posts. Am I right?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea is not best Korea.

Good example. Lest there be doubt, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is North Korea.

This is because Communism contains in-built errors. Instead of everyone working hard for the good of everyone else, everyone tries to do as little as possible and hope the next guy will do all the work.

Another 'realitykeeper' thread, another sketchy offering. Sweeping generalisations are your forte. "In-built errors" requires deeper analysis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another 'realitykeeper' thread, another sketchy offering. Sweeping generalisations are your forte. "In-built errors" requires deeper analysis.

Mod: Please restrict your criticisms to the post and do not attack the poster. Thanking you.

Everyone knows China is only claiming to still be Communist. If there was any doubt, they could perhaps keep up a pretense to being Communist but even a pretense is out of the question. China is capitalist and therefore it is a benign fascist dictatorship which benefits most of it`s people and oppresses those it considers subversive.

That said, not every country that claims to be a democracy is a democracy. In fact most countries with "democratic" in the name are not democracies. The former GDR was one example.

By the same token the argument can be made that the Soviet Union was not communist.
    It was an updated version of a feudal system with 'communist' stamped on it as a bit of rebranding so the serfs workers would accept that the person sitting on top of the pile was completely in charge, even though the 'Papa' was no longer the 'chosen by God' monarch.

You had a pretty much absolute ruler, below him was a powerful inner circle who may or may not challenge for control. Beheadings purges occasionally needed to maintain the status quo.

Beneath them you had the lesser baronsparty officials who enforced the rules, curried favour with those above, and rose or fell with their patrons.

Next came the Craft workers (fully paid up guild members) - the Bourgeois middle management shopkeeping nursing teachers who are the real danger to any political system. It's vital they are kept happy lest they get notions above their station and start demanding changes that benefit them. A mixture of reward and punishment works best with them. Toe the line, follow the rules, ensure that your university educated children become successful respectable professionals who also toe the line. You will be suitably rewarded. Demand more (rights, freedom, influence, power, money) and you will lose everything.
    When the Bourgeois get seriously p*ssed off revolutions tend to happen. Ask Lenin, or Robespierre, or Guevara, or Pearse, or Franklin.

Then there is the majority. The people who do most of the work and get the least in return. The ones who do most of the dying in the wars but exert the least political influence. Fed a diet of paternalistic nationalism and denied any real opportunity for advancement. Sure, a few farmer's sons might become squires and rise up the ranks to become knights but that is an important safety valve in the feudal system. Hope of a better life is powerful. Hope for your children/grandchildren is an unbeatable motivator to follow the rules.

Communism states everyone is equal. In the USSR everyone was patiently not equal. Therefore it was not communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Bannasidhe has already dealt with this point so I would direct you to their rather excellent response.

I would simply like to add that Soviet communism wasn't any more or less communist than China because, like China, Soviet Russia substituted the nation for the people so that it was the nation who owned everything and any actual control by the people was only in theory. But if you'd really like to know to what extent China is actually communist I'm sure pauldla could provide some valuable insights.

You learned of that proverb from one of my former posts. Am I right?

Nope, you're wrong again. I'm old enough to remember Ronald Reagan's use of the term in the 80s although the phrase was more recently brought to mind by the fantastic HBO Chernobyl series. In fact, that series offers some idea of what Soviet Russia was really like and whether it was really a communist nation.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Communism states everyone is equal. In the USSR everyone was patiently not equal. Therefore it was not communist.

I`ve heard that one before. Everytime Communism fails, people say that wasn`t real Communism.

You do however pinpoint one of Communism`s in-built errors. It fails to take account of human nature. Some people are hardworking, others are happy to be slobs.

As for everyone being equal, they are not of course. Nature dictates that we are all unequal to a greater or lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I`ve heard that one before. Everytime Communism fails, people say that wasn`t real Communism.
    Oddly enough, people say that about Christianity as well.

You do however pinpoint one of Communism`s in-built errors. It fails to take account of human nature. Some people are hardworking, others are happy to be slobs.

As for everyone being equal, they are not of course. Nature dictates that we are all unequal to a greater or lesser extent.

You seem to have spectacularly missed the point that I was making - which was, in fact, an extension of the point you yourself had made.

i.e. that just because a thing (e.g. a State's description of it's own political system) says it is something (communist/democracy etc etc) that does not mean the thing is actually that something.

The Democratic People's republic of Korea is neither democratic or a republic. We determine this by looking at it's political system and comparing it to the definition of 'democratic' and 'republic' to see if it conforms. It doesn't.

When we analyse the political system of the USSR it was more closely aligned to feudalism than communism.

Human nature and whether or not equality is possible is completely beside the point. The fact is that the USSR made no effort to implement equality. It kept the basic structures of Imperial Russia, rebranded, and exchanged the ruling aristocracy based on bloodlines with one based on party affiliation.

By the by - every political system has in-built errors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Oddly enough, people say that about Christianity as well.

Don't forget they also say it about Christians/Catholics,

The priest that ****ed children that was fully supported/protected by the Cardinal and Bishops and was moved around to different parishes inline with Vatican guidelines to continue his "priest duties" apparently wasn't a proper catholic don't you know....

Funny really, because the Vatican saw that he was, enough to keep him in the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Did this leftist say he was a communist, or....?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Did this leftist even say they were a leftist?

Given that leftist regularly tends to be used as a pejorative term by those on the far right for those that are in any way to the left of them, it seems unlikely. I've seen people self identifying as left-leaning, socialist and communist but rarely if ever as leftist.

smacl wrote: »
    Did this leftist even say they were a leftist?

Given that leftist regularly tends to be used as a pejorative term by those on the far right for those that are in any way to the left of them, it seems unlikely. I've seen people self identifying as left-leaning, socialist and communist but rarely if ever as leftist.

I know plenty of atheists, honestly I've never had a conversation with them where they said "I'm a leftist", must say I've never met anyone who has identified as a communist.

Its frankly amazing that realitykeeper knows so many people that outline such things in day to day conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Toe the line

I just wanted to say that in the Undemocratic Republic of Desiato, the mouth-breathers who post "tow the line" on internet forums will be summarily executed.

Harsh, but fair, I think you'll find.

Also it's always hilarious to see a christian deploy the "no true Scotsman" fallacy...

Life ain't always empty.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I know plenty of atheists, honestly I've never had a conversation with them where they said "I'm a leftist", must say I've never met anyone who has identified as a communist.

I was lucky enough to have John De Courcy Ireland as a teacher in secondary school, who was certainly involved with the Irish communist party though no idea if he identified as communist. Absolutely fantastic bloke who from memory was adored without exception by students and staff alike. Well remembered though no notion of his religious leanings or lack thereof.

Cabaal wrote: »

Its frankly amazing that realitykeeper knows so many people that outline such things in day to day conversation

I've only met two people who identified as communist. 1980s. Hackney.
    One is French, the other is Turkish.
    Both were atheists as it happens.

I've met truck loads of socialists. Atheist and religious.
    People often get the two mixed up when they are quite different.
    Saying they are the same is like saying anyone on the right is a fascist....

Come to think of it, I have met more people who identify as fascist than I have who identify as communist. In my world the difference is the two communists are still friends of mine but I avoid the fascists like the plague. The reason being when I would point out to the communists why I thought their preferred system was unworkable the Turk would earnestly lend me worthy tomes and have heartfelt discussions, the Parisian would shug, say "f*ck you eh" and pour some wine. When I tried to do this with the fascists they became abusive and tended to threaten violence quite quickly.

You seem to have spectacularly missed the point that I was making - which was, in fact, an extension of the point you yourself had made.

i.e. that just because a thing (e.g. a State's description of it's own political system) says it is something (communist/democracy etc etc) that does not mean the thing is actually that something.

The Democratic People's republic of Korea is neither democratic or a republic. We determine this by looking at it's political system and comparing it to the definition of 'democratic' and 'republic' to see if it conforms. It doesn't.

When we analyse the political system of the USSR it was more closely aligned to feudalism than communism.

Human nature and whether or not equality is possible is completely beside the point. The fact is that the USSR made no effort to implement equality. It kept the basic structures of Imperial Russia, rebranded, and exchanged the ruling aristocracy based on bloodlines with one based on party affiliation.

By the by - every political system has in-built errors.

But why pick on the USSR when you could say the same for so many other regimes that claim to be Communist. Granted China is a powerhouse of economic success but their case it is true, they are not real Communists. Maybe that is it, when Communists are really capitalists, then they succeed and when they are not, they don`t.

In fact, that series offers some idea of what Soviet Russia was really like and whether it was really a communist nation.

The contrast between the prosperous west and Russia was stark. So of course the USSR began to ape the west even before Communism collapsed.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I bunch them all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I bunch them all together.

im a proud lefty, ive never considered myself a communist or socialist for that matter, so maybe....

Advertisement