Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

One more withdrawal - Eamon Keogh, to be replaced by Scott Mulligan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can spectators just walk in for free?
    Just live around the corner from Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Planet X wrote: »

Yes if you are quiet and (IMPORTANT!) don't bring a phone into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Planet X wrote: »
    There are a number of tournaments going on in the hotel this week to keep you entertained. Perhaps it will interest you enough to start playing yourself. St Benildus Chess Club meet on the upper kilmacud road and there is an even better club in Rathmines that would welcome you with open arms.

• Advertisement

Yes if you are quiet and (IMPORTANT!) don't bring a phone into the room.

Got rid of my Smart phone about 5 years ago.
    It's great......... :D:D:D (That I got rid of it)

sodacat11 wrote: »
    There are a number of tournaments going on in the hotel this week to keep you entertained. Perhaps it will interest you enough to start playing yourself. St Benildus Chess Club meet on the upper kilmacud road and there is an even better club in Rathmines that would welcome you with open arms.

Thanks.
    Enquired about Benildus. I'm ex Oatlands and used to play on the senior team, lower ranking albeit.
    Still play online but getting bored of online chess.

Was looking at Dunlaoighre.

Benildus, I've heard, is a lot of young guns who are very good apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Round 1 game Fox - Brady was interesting - especially the ending. It must have been difficult to play for both sides after 6 hours play. Still Anthony Fox was alert enough to spot the opportunity to sacrifice his Rook in order to achieve a drawn ending a Bishop and pawn down (wrong Rook pawn).
    https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-championship-2019/1/1/9

Reminder that games are at 12.30pm today for those watching/playing. Rapid to follow prize giving for the first weekender

• Advertisement

My predictions for today:
    Collins 1-0 Kanyamarala, Trisha
    Moran 0-1 Baburin
    Lopez 1-0 Daly
    Quinn 0.5-0.5 Wallace
    Fitzsimons 1-0 Kanyamarala, Tarun
    O'Donnell 1-0 O'Connell
    O'Connor 0.5-0.5 Li
    Murray 0.5-0.5 Ryan
    O'Gorman 0.5-0.5 Murphy
    Brady 1-0 Mirza
    Delaney 0.5-0.5 Fox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If only there was a predictions game :)

cdeb wrote: »
    If only there was a predictions game :)

Gerry only got four of the 11 right so maybe it's just as well he's not playing.

I guess the round 3 draw is delayed by the rapid tournament?

Meanwhile people looking for the round 2 results can find them on chess24:
    https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-championship-2019/2/1/1

Tarun Kanyamarala on 3/3 having beaten 2 IM's
    Tarun will get Lopez tomorrow if Lopez wins.
    otherwise he will probably get Collins. Either way 3 IM's on the trot - opening up Norm opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

otherwise he will probably get Collins. Either way 3 IM's on the trot - opening up Norm opportunities.

I had Ryan - Lopez down as a draw at move 60. But what on earth was 63. Kb2 ????. Kd2 and it's the deadest of draws, no?

Zeitnot: Tiredness coupled with time pressure often leads to mistakes :-(

Well, yes. But "this way I have to calculate, that way I don't" is a good way of narrowing it down.

zeitnot wrote: »
    Well, yes. But "this way I have to calculate, that way I don't" is a good way of narrowing it down.
    That sounds exactly like the lazy thinking I often use, a sure recipe for disaster. You can't dodge calculation by making superficial moves.

That sounds exactly like the lazy thinking I often use, a sure recipe for disaster. You can't dodge calculation by making superficial moves.

If one move is clearly better / no worse than the other, that isn't lazy thinking, it's an automatic decision.

In fairness, it's not 100% automatic here as Black could try to wriggle in to c1, I suppose. It doesn't work but complicates matters.

If one move is clearly better / no worse than the other, that isn't lazy thinking, it's an automatic decision.

In fairness, it's not 100% automatic here as Black could try to wriggle in to c1, I suppose. It doesn't work but complicates matters.
    Look at move 20 in my game v Alex Byrne today.....dxe5 looks "obviously better" and as you advocate I thought "nothing to calculate" but in fact the odd looking Qxe5! would have posed White huge problems because of the threat of Nd5 and then Nc3.

• Advertisement

Look at move 20 in my game v Alex Byrne today.....dxe5 looks "obviously better" and as you advocate I thought "nothing to calculate" but in fact the odd looking Qxe5! would have posed White huge problems because of the threat of Nd5 and then Nc3.

Fair enough. I think Jacob Aagaard has written about this (both checking for zwischenzugs and alternatives, and playing truly automatic decisions immediately).

I can't remember his advice but to me with seconds on the clock and a clear line to an immediate draw, I'd play it. Earlier on and with time on the clock it's different.

Fair enough. I think Jacob Aagaard has written about this (both checking for zwischenzugs and alternatives, and playing truly automatic decisions immediately).

I can't remember his advice but to me with seconds on the clock and a clear line to an immediate draw, I'd play it. Earlier on and with time on the clock it's different.
    Yes the clock can be a big factor but I was well ahead on time today,,,something like 18 minutes up when I put my rook en prise at the end.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

That and the fact I am a complete idiot, I cant explain it I had planned to go that way but changed my mind last second. It doesnt help seeing 1 minute on your clock but its no excuse really.

My theory is it was karma getting me back for playing such a pathetic opening.

Yes, Tarun plays Lopez with Black in round 4.
    It's a tough call but it means he will already have met his three IMs required for a norm (if he can get the Rp) and would only need to meet two more titled players.

Still that 3/3 is a very impressive comeback after losing about 100 FIDE points last month including 2/9 in the IM Norm event.

(Both he and his sister still have a K coefficient of 40 so their rating swings are more pronounced than an adult player's would be.)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Yes the clock can be a big factor but I was well ahead on time today,,,something like 18 minutes up when I put my rook en prise at the end.:confused:

I feel your pain

According to the computer analysis, Peter Carroll resigned againstTrisha Kanyamarala in a position where he was only slightly worse!
    Maybe there's a move missing?
    https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-championship-2019/3/1/9

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

According to the computer analysis, Peter Carroll resigned againstTrisha Kanyamarala in a position where he was only slightly worse!
    Maybe there's a move missing?
    https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-championship-2019/3/1/9

There isn't anything missing. I was chatting with Trisha afterwards, and she was shocked that he resigned. It seems he thought the position was worse than it actually was.

Unusual occurrence today in the Irish Weekday Open. The last game only finished just before 3pm when the Championship was due to start.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-weekday-open-2019/2/1/5

Black was trying to win with K&R v K&N (no other material). This material balance arose after Black's 76th move.

Eventually (move 107) Black's flag fell.
    The arbiter correctly ruled a win for the player with the N (because a helpmate position can be reached by a series of legal moves) but the online page is showing the wrong result (0-1 instead of 1-0).

Unusual occurrence today in the Irish Weekday Open. The last game only finished just before 3pm when the Championship was due to start.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-weekday-open-2019/2/1/5

Black was trying to win with K&R v K&N (no other material). This material balance arose after Black's 76th move.

Eventually (move 107) Black's flag fell.
    The arbiter correctly ruled a win for the player with the N (because a helpmate position can be reached by a series of legal moves) but the online page is showing the wrong result (0-1 instead of 1-0).

Tim, an interesting situation. Many players might not be sufficiently familiar with the rules. Hopefully the result will be corrected so players can appreciate that in playing on one may risk losing. Interestingly, the player with the Rook missed a win shortly before he lost on time!

• Advertisement

Commentary today from 5.30pm on twitch.tv/fionchetta or embedded on https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-championship-2019/5/1/1

The weekday event is being broadcast daily here: https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/irish-weekday-open-2019/3/1/1

Advertisement