Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recall of Branded Bottled Waters Due to Elevated Levels of Arsenic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

To add to this, plastic bottled water may (pending storage: damage/duration/heat/uv) leak miniscule particles of plastic into the water itself. Which may have a cumulative effects, in the longer-term.
    Then there is fizzy water (what's the point of this anyway), some reports suggest this really isn't good for bone health. As for flavoured water, that more likely than not to damage enamel.

Have a standard 5-stage water filter whch does the entire month (over 100litres) for less than 10notes. Removes all odour from the tap water.
    If travelling have a glass bottle (again avoid plastic/allum), with rubber grip and thick neoprene fabric cover to keep it cold for 8hrs.

If you wanted to go 'overboard' with water health. There is concepts such as passive alkaline and IR-ion-enhancements. Micro-cluster hexagonal restructuring (432/528Hz), or just simple kinetic vortexing, but this starts to verge on the edges of marketing quakery, but won't do any harm at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes but that's what I mean. I can't see any best before date on the bottle that I have.
    How are batch numbers stated on the bottles?

On the 2l water I have from Lidl the batch number and date are quite small and printed on the side of the transparent plastic of the bottle near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

Before anyone gets in a twist about arsenic, it’s in many food products in high levels, particularly rice products and leafy vegetables.

It will always be in water as it flows over rock and soils.

It is also in tobacco. But more worryingly a study on e-cigarettes and the presence of heavy metals and arsenic from the heater/filament. This is direct to the lungs. There is no quality control of any kind on the heater element and the source of those metals. There is only in the last 2 years any testing of the liquid in e-cigs.

Loads of reports on the internet of people with results of hair tests for metals. Nobody asking if a smoker is present. It is not all from water.

The fsai have not stated how high the level of arsenic was. The limit and it is the same limit globally is 10ppb. Anything over this is a fail and a recall.

The plastics we absorb and leachate from those plastics are more concerning. The use of BPA free plastics in bottles would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Well, I don't know if this is coincidental or not, but a few days ago my son showed me a glass of water he had just poured and asked me what I thought of it. The water came from the tap but the ice he used came from Dunnes bottled water. As the ice melted there were loads of what I thought at first were just tiny ice bubbles. But they weren't. By the time all the ice had melted there was a faint residue at the bottom of the glass. A white substance. My son reckoned it to be calcium, and maybe it is, I don't know, but it seems to have something to do with the ice. I poured some of the Dunnes water into a glass without using the ice and left it for ten minutes but there was no sign of any sediment at the bottom of the glass. Then I poured another glass of Dunnes water (as opposed to tap water) with the ice cubes made from Dunnes water and again the water was full of these bubbles that left a white sediment at the bottom of the glass. When I made ice with the tap water it didn't produce sediment.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

To add to this, plastic bottled water may (pending storage: damage/duration/heat/uv) leak miniscule particles of plastic into the water itself. Which may have a cumulative effects, in the longer-term.
    Then there is fizzy water (what's the point of this anyway), some reports suggest this really isn't good for bone health. As for flavoured water, that more likely than not to damage enamel.

Have a standard 5-stage water filter whch does the entire month (over 100litres) for less than 10notes. Removes all odour from the tap water.
    If travelling have a glass bottle (again avoid plastic/allum), with rubber grip and thick neoprene fabric cover to keep it cold for 8hrs.

If you wanted to go 'overboard' with water health. There is concepts such as passive alkaline and IR-ion-enhancements. Micro-cluster hexagonal restructuring (432/528Hz), or just simple kinetic vortexing, but this starts to verge on the edges of marketing quakery, but won't do any harm at the same time.

Interested in your filter and glsss bottle. Have you a source for both? Heavy water drinker, would like to reduce my plastic use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

Talking to a shop owner that rang FSAI. It’s not the water that’s contaminated but the plastic bottles. That’s why there smaller 250ml water in Dunnes is not effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

How can this water have a best before date? Sure isn't most of their spiel how it's been filtered for ten thousand years through the limestone rocks of some romantic underground cave but all of a sudden it goes off on the 31st of October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How can this water have a best before date? Sure isn't most of their spiel how it's been filtered for ten thousand years through the limestone rocks of some romantic underground cave but all of a sudden it goes off on the 31st of October?

The problem is the plastic from the bottle that leaches into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Pharmacist here. Accepted arcenic levels are 10mcg/L. Toxicity appears at 10mg/L, 1000 times legal levels.

50mcg/L per day over 5 years will result in toxicity.

All reports indicate while above legal levels levels are still far, far below toxic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Talking to a shop owner that rang FSAI. It’s not the water that’s contaminated but the plastic bottles. That’s why there smaller 250ml water in Dunnes is not effected.

Now there's a twist I didn't see coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Is this Celtic pure? And do they supply the honesty water bottles in the airport. Bottles are very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is this Celtic pure? And do they supply the honesty water bottles in the airport. Bottles are very similar
    "Plane water" is one of the brands in the list of affected waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Interested in your filter and glsss bottle. Have you a source for both? Heavy water drinker, would like to reduce my plastic use
    Just buy a good quality copper bottle. That's all I use. It's what Ayurvedic medicine recommended 2000 years ago and it turns out that the World Health Organisation now recommends large copper vessels for safe water storage for 3rd world countries. Easily searched for veracity.

Got ages ago from Amzn, if you search: {BLACK 1.0L Glass Drinking Bottle Fridge Bottle - Non-Slip Silicone Grip - BPA Free - 100% Recyclable}. Should come in under 15 notes, the onlything unavoidably slightly plastic might be the screw cap.

The neoprene (1L) cover cost next to nothing with free delivery, keeps it cold but does need washing regularly. Essential to prevent breaks, could also wrap in custom hi-def EVA foam as a last resort.

Like the sound of the other posters idea for copper bottle, but many online seem to be just copper (plated) Al. Copper seems to have a range of benefits, insoles are popular for mineral obsorbtion (for arthritus), and if you want to keep slugs off plants a bit of copper wire wil do that.

It also has surface level antibacterial effects, even active when dry (unlike silver). Fantasilandia in Chile, one of Latin America’s largest theme parks, has replaced its most frequently touched surfaces with copper to help reduce the spread of germs and protect the health of its visitors.

If you've got any spare sterling coins, check if they are pre-1992 (97% copper) 2p coins. As they contain 3p worth of copper each. I know some people so tightfisted that when they hold a bunch of 2ps the queens face actually cries tears because they are squeezing the coins so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Then there is fizzy water (what's the point of this anyway), some reports suggest this really isn't good for bone health.

Not a credible report though - fizzy water is my main indulgence. Just love the kick of it, straight out of the fridge, over lots of ice.

I do worry about the plastic bottles though. I looked into getting a Sodastream, but it would be more than twice the cost per litre, and more importantly, the supply of cartridges seems fairly unreliable.

Are there any options for fizzy water that avoid the plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

hgfj wrote: »
    Well, I don't know if this is coincidental or not, but a few days ago my son showed me a glass of water he had just poured and asked me what I thought of it. The water came from the tap but the ice he used came from Dunnes bottled water. As the ice melted there were loads of what I thought at first were just tiny ice bubbles. But they weren't. By the time all the ice had melted there was a faint residue at the bottom of the glass. A white substance. My son reckoned it to be calcium, and maybe it is, I don't know, but it seems to have something to do with the ice. I poured some of the Dunnes water into a glass without using the ice and left it for ten minutes but there was no sign of any sediment at the bottom of the glass. Then I poured another glass of Dunnes water (as opposed to tap water) with the ice cubes made from Dunnes water and again the water was full of these bubbles that left a white sediment at the bottom of the glass. When I made ice with the tap water it didn't produce sediment.

I’ve seen the same from making ice with bottled water in France. I assumed it was just minerals in the water and was fine. Never did us any harm anyway and we’ve always drank the bottled water over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not a credible report though - fizzy water is my main indulgence. Just love the kick of it, straight out of the fridge, over lots of ice.

I do worry about the plastic bottles though. I looked into getting a Sodastream, but it would be more than twice the cost per litre, and more importantly, the supply of cartridges seems fairly unreliable.

San Pellegrino. Expensive kick though. I've seen cheaper wine.

Where there is a doubt and all that. Simply don't see the point of it. More simply habitual I'd guess, than chemically addictive (via sugary drinks). Bit like putting a sparkler on top of a burger. Go without it for 3wks and don't look back.

There are also different classifications of 'fizzy' water (Sparkling mineral, Seltzer water, Club soda or Tonic water). Some more natural and some loaded with salts, co2, sulfur compounds and multiple synthetic sweetners such as acesulfame k.

Even classy brands such as the French one in a green bottle (and naturally occurring carbonation) have occasional health scares (well that was over a decade ago).

No surprise the one of the most essential items on the planet has been sold and marketed to the max. From DrH's Ox-S(528) to 330ml of Fiji. Even folks that live on pranic light (breatharianism) do also like a wee sip of water now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sdanseo wrote: »

Try San Celestino from LIDL... I dont think its in the recall list. Lovely sparkling water. Ideal in spritzers!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pharmacist here. Accepted arcenic levels are 10mcg/L. Toxicity appears at 10mg/L, 1000 times legal levels.

50mcg/L per day over 5 years will result in toxicity.

All reports indicate while above legal levels levels are still far, far below toxic levels.

Do you not use the Greek symbol for micro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Just buy a good quality copper bottle. That's all I use. It's what Ayurvedic medicine recommended 2000 years ago and it turns out that the World Health Organisation now recommends large copper vessels for safe water storage for 3rd world countries. Easily searched for veracity.

5000 years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

YFlyer wrote: »
    An Ri rua wrote: »

5000 years ;)
    I'm quite sure they've recommended it each year since in their annual report 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sdanseo wrote: »
    Nice idea, though I'm not sure that recyclable glass a huge step forward on recyclable plastic. And the cost would be a problem too.

Where there is a doubt and all that. Simply don't see the point of it. More simply habitual I'd guess, than chemically addictive (via sugary drinks). Bit like putting a sparkler on top of a burger. Go without it for 3wks and don't look back.
    It's not chemically addictive at all - it's the sheer physical pleasure of the cold and the bubbles hitting the back of the throat. Yeah, I'm sure I could give it up, but why would it. I don't do much alcohol at home, it's a fairly harmless pleasure as these things go, if I could just address the plastic issue.
    There are also different classifications of 'fizzy' water (Sparkling mineral, Seltzer water, Club soda or Tonic water). Some more natural and some loaded with salts, co2, sulfur compounds and multiple synthetic sweetners such as acesulfame k.

Sparkling mineral water for me, nothing loaded other than the co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

YFlyer wrote: »
    Do you not use the Greek symbol for micro?

Bad practice, looks too similar to X11g when hand written.

It's not chemically addictive at all - it's the sheer physical pleasure of the cold and the bubbles hitting the back of the throat. Yeah, I'm sure I could give it up, but why would it. I don't do much alcohol at home, it's a fairly harmless pleasure as these things go, if I could just address the plastic issue.
    Sparkling mineral water for me, nothing loaded other than the co2.

Yep, that was the point it's simply habitual rather than a chemical addiction (some of the stats for {class:a} 'sugar' in drinks are shocking). Author of the 'Power of Habit' reckons it's just weeks or even days for new neural pathways to form. AThough guess there are worse habits than a few bubbles.

Likely the issue with (thin) glass is to do with pressure (same goes for freezing:expansion).

If it's in a fully natural carbonised state perhaps the movement may be of benefit through some vortex hex-restructuring. I.e. Never drink from non-running water if stuck up on the Alps, always from a moving spring/stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Then there is fizzy water (what's the point of this anyway), .
    Where there is a doubt and all that. Simply don't see the point of it. More simply habitual I'd guess, than chemically addictive (via sugary drinks). Bit like putting a sparkler on top of a burger.
    sparklers?

A better analogy would be like putting salt on a burger, or cheese. Whats the point of it anyway? -and acting all confused about why people would do something so pointless.

There must be billions of litres of carbonated liquids drank everyday. If you genuinely cannot understand why then I think you are the odd one out, not those billions of people who you think are doing something pointless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Topic has been wildly diverged from at this stage

The producer has blamed a filter on a specific high-arsenic spring as the problem. Not the bottles as claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good grief, wouldn't you start with a good source if setting up such a business.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have multiple springs, apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cavan/Monaghan would have poor ground water sources, no large aquifers.

Advertisement