Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FARMERS STRIKE Monday July 29th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

blue5000 wrote: »
    I over-optimistically went looking in the post box for last weeks cattle cheque. Instead there was a blurb from supervalue telling me they have a steak sale with 33% off.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057501295&page=45

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The argument needs to be taken to Bruxelles. Only Bruxelles can sort this.

It’s a great pub and right beside the Statue of Phil Lynott but I’m not sure if it’s the answer
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

in france on holidays in charolais region and inspec bull beef today 3.60 per kilo for pure charolais grading U grade, similar to at home,
    problem is a weak minister for AG and poor junior ministers who the silly farmers will vote back into the dail the next time around as having done great work for the farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

in france on holidays in charolais region and inspec bull beef today 3.60 per kilo for pure charolais grading U grade, similar to at home,
    problem is a weak minister for AG and poor junior ministers who the silly farmers will vote back into the dail the next time around as having done great work for the farmers.

And french lamb sells better there than Irish lamb, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than euro in the difference, That's the way it is. same with English beef in England. How can Irish Product get shelf space in a foreign country unless they go in at a lower price. We have to be realistic
    Interesting you say that as anytime I've been in France farmers were getting less for their beef than we were getting, have you seen the cattle, they're more like our E grades than U grades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

All still going strong here in Dawn, Grannagh, County Kilkenny

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    All still going strong here in Dawn, Grannagh, County Kilkenny

Someone hurt too.....some farmer ran him down

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmer-injured-while-protesting-outside-beef-factory/

Will probably rev up support, hope he's alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Just had a double lorry with young child and no seat belt in passanger seat @230am going to a factory.

Should tusla be informed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭jaymla627

epfff wrote: »
    Just had a double lorry with young child and no seat belt in passanger seat @230am going to a factory.

RSA if you really want to, every lorry drivers worst nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

R grade frxLm/Ch etc are making €3.30 this week which is closer to the majority of Irish beef produced. Not a word from French farmers unions....

Now, if the price of milk were to hit 24cpl we’d be deaf from the screaming. Funny that, Orwellian even...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

wrangler wrote: »
    And french lamb sells better there than Irish lamb, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than euro in the difference, That's the way it is. same with English beef in England. How can Irish Product get shelf space in a foreign country unless they go in at a lower price. We have to be realistic
    Interesting you say that as anytime I've been in France farmers were getting less for their beef than we were getting, have you seen the cattle, they're more like our E grades than U grades

+1. Spot on.

Last Easter I was told to buy a leg of lamb. French leg of lamb was absolutely tiny and €38. The Irish leg of lamb was much bigger and was €18. The NZ lamb was €16 and similar size to Irish.
    I brought home the Irish lamb (of course) to a torrent of abuse from French staff for buying imported lamb. Fact.
    The French are extremely patriotic (nationalistic?) when it comes to buying food, as it should be I suppose.
    If we stop for a McD drive through I’ve to clean out the car of all evidence because the French will immediately get on their high horse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

for the last 13 years visiting france they have always being getting more for their beef and export weanlings. last night seen 8 heifers going for slaughter this morning at 24 months and 6E and 2U at 3.60, seen 20 super bulls yesterday morning on contract for next week at 3.60, that would stand out in any suckler herd in ireland.
    problem is the beef finisher is now the dairy mans slave to take his by product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

blue5000 wrote: »
    I over-optimistically went looking in the post box for last weeks cattle cheque. Instead there was a blurb from supervalue telling me they have a steak sale with 33% off.

I think beefplan would be better off protesting there instead of at factory gates, it might help consumers realize who is really paying for their cheap beef.

Its like the time of the dollar milk here in Australia, the public were outraged but i cant see it happening in Ireland as "all them farmers are loaded and getting big subsidies" attitude. Its not as if the beach babes of bondi have close links to farming either i.e. heading out to the country cousins for a few weeks in the summer, but a lot of Aussies genuinely have an attitude of if the farmers f#cked the country is f#cked.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Athleague??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I left at 12 last night went back at 6am and just left now. Stopped a tractor coming all the way from Rosslare

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I left at 12 last night went back at 6am and just left now. Stopped a tractor coming all the way from Rosslare

Fair dues, It's great to see farmers prepared to kick butt even though they're getting rubbish support from other farmers

IFA are starting to get bold down in Grange at the European veterinary inspectors, They're going to cut down trees like Brazil
    Great Crack

https://twitter.com/ajwwoods/status/1156556822704205824
    https://twitter.com/ajwwoods?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭jaymla627

IFA are starting to get bold down in Grange at the European veterinary inspectors, They're going to cut down trees like Brazil
    Great Crack

Thinking outside the box, given the collapse in beef incomes why don’t the ifa team up with ifac and offer their members cut price rates on preparing farm assist applications and getting them approved, noting would focus a governments mind more then rocking up to Leinster house with 10,000 plus such applications....
    10000 extra farming families on farm assist getting 500 a week would be a fairly cool 250 million a year extra to be drew down from social welfare, it wouldn’t be long focusing a few minds

Any updates from around the country
    Please keep it positive professional and legal.

Dont want to be hearing about pictures the mad young lads were showing ye on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

No kill in ballyhaunis tomorrow I'm told 250 cattle short today was about 200 men there at 11 o'clock last night

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

endainoz wrote: »
    Agreed, the Facebook group has been overtaken by failed TDs and idiots who spread total misinformation and know nothing about the science involved. I called one of said failed TDs out on their bullsh1t over the weekend, needless to say they didn't reply.

It's more of a loud minority talking crap though and the admins could do with stopping it before it gets any worse or most of the moderate people like myself will be leave as I have done with a lot of these farming groups because of all the whinging and negativity, it's bloody draining at times!

I do believe in what they want to do but I agree they have done very little in terms of achieving anything. If people heed the instructions today, at least it's a start.

From what I’ve seen this is Rent a Mob- all anti FG posters etc, nothing to do with real farmers just hijacking of an issue for their own gains. And their usual hostile thuggish behaviors to go with it. One minute online reading the comments will tell you all you need to know about this lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

road_high wrote:
    From what I’ve seen this is Rent a Mob- all anti FG posters etc, nothing to do with real farmers just hijacking of an issue for their own gains. And their usual hostile thuggish behaviors to go with it. One minute online reading the comments will tell you all you need to know about this lot

Totally agree, but it's the minority that keep shouting and trying to find links to the Lisbon treaty and all this rubbish. I do believe the main admins are doing good work though.

Myself and a few other lads from the local area are going to rathkeale this evening to support the crowd down there all going well. It seems to be taking off a bit more now and national media will hopefully take more notice.

road_high wrote: »
    Agreed, the Facebook group has been overtaken by failed TDs and idiots who spread total misinformation and know nothing about the science involved. I called one of said failed TDs out on their bullsh1t over the weekend, needless to say they didn't reply.

It's more of a loud minority talking crap though and the admins could do with stopping it before it gets any worse or most of the moderate people like myself will be leave as I have done with a lot of these farming groups because of all the whinging and negativity, it's bloody draining at times!

I do believe in what they want to do but I agree they have done very little in terms of achieving anything. If people heed the instructions today, at least it's a start.

Ive being to two protests in different locations on a few occasions and seen none of this rent a crowd or lefties all genuine farmers people regularly read the guidelines, some are quiet adgitated but understandably.

Maybe i was just there at good times but thats my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Great Crack

An awful lot of beef farmers have zero faith in the IFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Great Crack

Hows it the ifa’s fault beef farmers believe their farming unicorns rather than face the reality their business is no longer viable for their needs to provide the income they require in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hard to blame them, was this always the plan by the IFA or did the decide to do it as the beef plan protests were going on. I'm not knocking it either, they got people there to admit the south American beef wasn't subject to the same standards as Irish beef, which is obviously something we already knew, but still a big deal I think to get them to admit it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I see a high rank IFA member posted elsewhere where he got away his bulls a couple of nights ago.

Didn't go down too well with a lot of people.

Hard to blame them, was this always the plan by the IFA or did the decide to do it as the beef plan protests were going on. I'm not knocking it either, they got people there to admit the south American beef wasn't subject to the same standards as Irish beef, which is obviously something we already knew, but still a big deal I think to get them to admit it....

IFA have had loads of protests over the years on beef price with little effect, I was at most of them,and so were a lot of the faces I see there in Grange I can't see them being led or driven now by a crowd finding it out for themselves. IFA were opposing the World trade agreements for the last twenty years and I was at those protests too so to say they're only highlighting it now is a bit of a joke, weren't IFA in Brazil ten years ago highlighting the problems.
    I saw posted somewhere else that the IFA officers had the inside track on mercusor and that's why they all went to dairying,... sad eh. Only fools didn't know what was going to happen with Mercusor
    There's farmers posting now that never bothered their arse supporting any actions, never bothered their arse keeping up with what was going on in agriculture and now they're spewing out sad posts like that.
    I'm sure there was a national council and a national livestock meeting today in Dublin and they got a couple buses to come down to Grange and kick butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,112 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »
    I see a high rank IFA member posted elsewhere where he got away his bulls a couple of nights ago.

Didn't go down too well with a lot of people.

You'd wonder what goes through some people's head posting that to the public .

I don't see anyone doing any better, is it seven organisations we have claiming to represent us now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Any updates from around the country
    Please keep it positive professional and legal.

Dont want to be hearing about pictures the mad young lads were showing ye on phone

ABP Nenagh.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/livestock-lorries-delayed-at-abp-nenagh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement