Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Honesty' water - do you pay?

Options
  • 25-07-2019 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Every time I'm in Dublin airport, I get a great little buzz out of picking up a couple of bottles of 'honesty' water and putting in a 1 cent coin, just so that there's the tell-tale, signatute sound of a payment being made...but I get a 99.5% discount.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is very honest and conscientious and would always pay full price - even if there was nobody anywhere nearby to see her just take the bottle.

What are people's thoughts on this? What percentage of people are immoral and unscrupulous like me?! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Every time I'm in Dublin airport, I get a great little buzz out of picking up a couple of bottles of 'honesty' water and putting in a 1 cent coin, just so that there's the tell-tale, signatute sound of a payment being made...but I get a 99.5% discount.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is very honest and conscientious and would always pay full price - even if there was nobody anywhere nearby to see her just take the bottle.

What are people's thoughts on this? What percentage of people are immoral and unscrupulous like me?! :-)

You're a skanger for doing that. And you probably don't take your tray up to the bin either after you finish eating. Badly reared, well done to your parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

And back to subject, I always pay the correct amount because i'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Apparently, while something like 94% of us pay in Dublin Airport, many overpay and the average paid overall is just short of €1.25 for the €1 bottle.

Anybody who deliberately doesn't pay is a tight fisted buffoon. I can accept somebody perhaps had no change but deliberately not paying is low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are water fountains in Dublin airport. Why would anyone buy it?

Or am I mixing it up with another airport??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's a euro ffs of course I pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Schnooks wrote: »
    You're a skanger for doing that. And you probably don't take your tray up to the bin either after you finish eating. Badly reared, well done to your parents!

Most places don't want you to bring the tray up anymore, they do it themselves and implement waste segregation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I pay full price because I'm not a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Where I live in the Essex wilderness, we're surrounded by farms and all that rural stuff on all sides of the town. I know quite a few of these farms that leave fresh eggs out at the side of the road with an honesty box in accompaniment. Stall it over OP, you'd make a killing. Personally I'm one of those shmucks who'd never dream of not paying for such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭gifted

I think the answer is somewhere in the Honesty word.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nah, costs them no more than 10c a bottle - i give em 20.
    Small farmer selling eggs as someone said adifferent story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

It would take most people a lot more effort to find a 1c coin than a euro coin. It's probably the least likely coin to find in any man's pocket. In fact, there being phased out al along with 2c coins and many businesses are already rounding to 5 so you're discount is going to take a hit soon. And I'd say in the future when your woman leaves you, she'll point back to your water thieving ways and say, "I should have known."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It would take most people a lot more effort to find a 1c coin than a euro coin. It's probably the least likely coin to find in any man's pocket. In fact, there being phased out al along with 2c coins and many businesses are already rounding to 5 so you're discount is going to take a hit soon. And I'd say in the future when your woman leaves you, she'll point back to your water thieving ways and say, "I should have known."

If he’s getting a 99.5% discount on a €1 bottle of water he’s actually paying with an even rarer coin.

OP - Pay the €1, ya miser. You’ve probably spent hundreds on the holiday. You can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Every time I'm in Dublin airport, I get a great little buzz out of picking up a couple of bottles of 'honesty' water and putting in a 1 cent coin,

Getting a great little buzz out of being a thief?

They say little amuses the simple.

Surprised you have a girlfrind either- nothing worse than a person with no integrity.

Friend of mine keeps rescue hens and puts the eggs out in an honesty box.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the honesty box was in the middle of the gobi desert and the chances of getting caught were zero, I would still pay the price. I don't pay the euro because I am afraid of getting caught, I pay it because my own integrity is important to me. The OP clearly doesn't value such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Schnooks wrote: »
    You probably don't take your tray up to the bin either after you finish eating. Badly reared, well done to your parents!

Why on earth would I clear the table, and bring the left overs to the bin, after I have finished a meal. I don't work there. Maybe you'd like me to go into the kitchen and russell up a meal, while I'm there. Maybe, I'll also stick a brush up my arse so that I can sweep the floor as I walk about.

Seriously though, why would I steal some persons job from them by doing it unpaid. It's not as if the owners are exactly giving away the food in fast food restaurants. They're charging top dollar.

With regard to the water bottles. Of course I pay. To do otherwise, would make me a thief. If I wasn't able to pay for a bottle of water, then I wouldn't just steal it. I'd do without.

If I was thirsty enough to steal, I'd go into one of the shops and steal a nice cold fizzy drink (the most expensive I could find) from the fridge. I certainly wouldn't steal some flat tepid tap water in a plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Murt10 wrote: »
    Why on earth would I clear the table, and bring the left overs to the bin, after I have finished a meal.

To not be a complete ignoramus leaving a mess behind that you created?

I clear the table after food, and I pay the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

And if you slip and fall you get free money as well! Even if you're not hurt!

And the best part is for all of these things, there's no victim!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I pay because I'm grateful that now I only have to pay a euro instead of getting gouged in some shop there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Don’t particularly believe it, but if that’s how you get your buzz, it’s a bit sad. The honesty water is cheap compared to the over inflated prices for most water that you buy after security controls. It’s convenient and quick. And it’s somebody’s business.

I don’t understand how somebody would get their pleasure from screwing other people over. Like those fake insurance claims.

Life is nicer if you consider other people and don’t get so petty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I give as much as 50 cent as that's what I feel it's worth. Sometimes I'll take two for that cost though. I took a packet of crisps last time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

jim o doom wrote: »
    To not be a complete ignoramus leaving a mess behind that you created?

I clear the table after food, and I pay the euro.

If I didnt do it they have to employ someone. Job creation, what wrong with that?
    Where would northside Dubs get jobs otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

enricoh wrote: »
    Nah, costs them no more than 10c a bottle - i give em 20.
    Small farmer selling eggs as someone said adifferent story

Stealing is still stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Apparently, while something like 94% of us pay in Dublin Airport, many overpay and the average paid overall is just short of €1.25 for the €1 bottle.
    i was told by a girl who works in the duty free that those stats released by daa are false. payment is around 65pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

i was told by a girl who works in the duty free that those stats released by daa are false. payment is around 65pc.
    Are you Enda Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Edgware wrote: »
    Are you Enda Kenny?

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There are water fountains in Dublin airport. Why would anyone buy it?

They buy it so they can bring it onto the plane.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I never buy them because I don't want room temperature water when there's cold water for sale a few doors down.

Would pay the €1 if I was going to take one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Where are you getting the 1c from ?? They've been out of circulation for a while now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jim o doom wrote: »
    I clear the table after food,

At what standard of restaurant does this stop?

KFC - Bring to bins?
    Eddie Rockets - would you bring all the stuff to the counter?
    TGI Friday? Is there anywhere to leave the dishes?
    Rolys Bistro Refuse to allow waiters to clear your table?

Funnily enough I have never seen a notice up in any restaurant outside of a work canteen asking people to clear their table. Now I rarely do fast food but pop into KFC the odd time and the place seems adequately staffed to manage the few customers that are there. More so than the average restaurant where waiters are often rushed off their feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I've never paid and I never will.

Free water innit.

Now it's in cans instead of bottles tho.

Advertisement