Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolaney National MTB Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭covey123

Too early to say yet what the finished trails will be like,will just have to wait and see,but I'm guessing if its going to be opened on a rolling basis,it would make sense to open the easier trails first to make the place more assessable to the masses rather than Black trails first which would limit the initial amount of visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Reading through the fb comments doesn't give much hope

Going by those 3 FB pics, looks like first one (with bike) could be a climb to trail head/access trail, personally would prefer that to a technical climb!then as mentioned in the post, probably Red one with rocks,Blue with roller/berm

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

covey123 wrote: »
    Going by those 3 FB pics, looks like first one (with bike) could be a climb to trail head/access trail, personally would prefer that to a technical climb!then as mentioned in the post, probably Red one with rocks,Blue with roller/berm

The one with rocks isn't a red!!! It's hardly a blue - maybe a green. Even for a climbing trail, it would be sh*t. It might attract non-biking tourists but won't attract mtb tourism.

Edited to say that sounds very negative above but it's just frustrating to see that amount of money being wasted when the facilities for mountain biking in Wales/UK/Europe are so far superior to ours....and we finally have an opportunity to build something really great over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

Maybe Coillte think we all have touring mountain bikes with panniers and baskets and leisurely cycle around their forests.
    As somebody else said though, hopefully its just a matter of them building the blue and easier trails first to get people around the mountain. Then the harder trails will be built off these.
    It will be interesting to see what they have planned for Ballinastoe and Ticknock too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    The one with rocks isn't a red!!! It's hardly a blue - maybe a green. Even for a climbing trail, it would be sh*t. It might attract non-biking tourists but won't attract mtb tourism.

Edited to say that sounds very negative above but it's just frustrating to see that amount of money being wasted when the facilities for mountain biking in Wales/UK/Europe are so far superior to ours....and we finally have an opportunity to build something really great over here.

Looks very much like a blue-trail as it's less rock garden and more paving slabs; I've got a blue-trail nearby that's more 'gnarly' than that with its rock features but they're roll-able slabs rather than rock-gardens. I've seen rougher road surfaces in Dublin. The manicured surfacing on the rest of the trail around the 'rocks' makes me suspect it's a blue-trail anyway as it all looks quite sedate. But you're right; it is frustrating to see what appears to be getting presented for the apparent outlay in time & money. It's hard to tell from a couple of separate photos so here's hoping it's just everyone getting the wrong end of the stick.

QueenMTBee wrote: »

Know what you are saying, would be great to have something like BPI but on a larger scale!
    Looking at the maps it looks like a lot of the trails start at a single elevated point so fingers crossed!

Had a look on Clixbys website,looks like they have done work here,not clear if repairs or all this trail...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDV2PXNhGk

covey123 wrote: »
    Had a look on Clixbys website,looks like they have done work here,not clear if repairs or all this trail...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDV2PXNhGk

I like the little options they give you for different lines on the same trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Oh dear, some narrow fire road gravel paths isn't going to attract anyone from outside the area to these trails..

I will go have a look once, but no reason at all based on what i've seen to go back to these trails after seeing them...

Is this what Coillte and the designers of these trails think MTB'ing is?

The perfect bike for this would be a Cyclocross bike from what I can see...

What a disappointment for the local community to have this White Elephant built with so many promises of increased tourism...

• Advertisement

I see biking.ie posting on Facebook they're down in Collaney marking possibilities for sorting the trails out. I've heard and read stuff but what actually has gone wrong down there? Bad planning, trail builders not up to the job or just a difference between what was envisaged and what is actually possible with the terrain they have to work with?

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2512435425442880/

jvan wrote: »
    I see biking.ie posting on Facebook they're down in Collaney marking possibilities for sorting the trails out. I've heard and read stuff but what actually has gone wrong down there? Bad planning, trail builders not up to the job or just a difference between what was envisaged and what is actually possible with the terrain they have to work with?

Biking.ie will save the day!

Wonder when it will open now, I heard November?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

prunudo wrote: »

The local Mountain bikers were not listened too.
    Builders so far have not been up to the job.
    The project management (Sligo county council) not up to the job.
    The list goes on..

Just came across this..

https://youtu.be/XOHXD1Nf8xI

Couple of videos starting to pop up on YouTube

Don't look much different than whats in Ballinastoe to be fair. Hard to get perspective from the video of course. Considering that was shot back in March, given the rumours I'd heard I was expecting a lot worse. As they say, I'll try myself before I pass judgement.
    On a side note how are the Sleive bloom trails progressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Don't look much different than whats in Ballinastoe to be fair. Hard to get perspective from the video of course. Considering that was shot back in March, given the rumours I'd heard I was expecting a lot worse. As they say, I'll try myself before I pass judgement.
    On a side note how are the Sleive bloom trails progressing?

You really need to take a trip down in that case.....

rizzodun wrote: »
    You really need to take a trip down in that case.....

I don't follow, are you saying thats it worse than it looks?

I don't follow, are you saying thats it worse than it looks?

More or less, the video doesn't show in detail the situation on the ground. Hopefully it'll be rectified, but what's there isn't confidence inspiring.

Saw this posted on Facebook last night

"Whatever you've heard about the Coolaney Mountain Bike Trail to date, forget it. We've been hard at work over the past month and are honestly now stoked to be involved and excited about the future!!

When this place opens it's going to be pretty special, where on earth would you get such a raw view of the Atlantic Ocean with a ribbon trail flowing down the open mountain. Its going to be incredible!!

Trail quality is looking great now, no flat sections, no straights, no loose gravel. Camera phone doesn't do the lads work justice, fair play to them. Blue trail pictured below.

We are working closely with all stakeholders, including the local mountain bike riders, to make sure we can get the best possible outcome from this first phase of construction.

Watch this space.

#bikinginireland"

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2562544043765351/

• Advertisement

"from this first phase of construction."

I guess this means Winter 2019/Spring 2020 before we can go on our bicycles and enjoy the view...

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Saw this posted on Facebook last night

"Whatever you've heard about the Coolaney Mountain Bike Trail to date, forget it. We've been hard at work over the past month and are honestly now stoked to be involved and excited about the future!!

When this place opens it's going to be pretty special, where on earth would you get such a raw view of the Atlantic Ocean with a ribbon trail flowing down the open mountain. Its going to be incredible!!

Trail quality is looking great now, no flat sections, no straights, no loose gravel. Camera phone doesn't do the lads work justice, fair play to them. Blue trail pictured below.

We are working closely with all stakeholders, including the local mountain bike riders, to make sure we can get the best possible outcome from this first phase of construction.

Watch this space.

#bikinginireland"

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2562544043765351/

Sh1tetalk. It's muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Sh1tetalk. It's muck.

Have you been there... or is this based on poor quality online pics & hearsay from some keyboard warriors?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Have you been there... or is this based on poor quality online pics & hearsay from some keyboard warriors?

I haven't been there, but I've two eyes in my head that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ill hold judgement until i get there and see it in person, videos and pictures never do mtb trails justice.

It's not all hearsay. Some people have ridden it. That being said, hopefully this is the start of a real improvement on what's there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

hi all - any further update on this? Also, are they any trails open here currently? I have a friend nearby and would go for a wander up there if there were trails I am allowed to be on.

kingoffifa wrote: »
    hi all - any further update on this? Also, are they any trails open here currently? I have a friend nearby and would go for a wander up there if there were trails I am allowed to be on.

Two blue trails in place and a red under construction. Officially not allowed on them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Trail work can take a while to bed in depending on the time of year, the general weather conditions over a period of time and the materials used + general ground conditions. Until the trails get the all clear I'd do the trails (and by proxy yourself & every other rider) a favour and stay clear, as tempting as it may be. Having done trail maintenance work in the UK, only to see weeks of snow + heavy rain come afterwards followed by ignorant sorts ignoring all the official signage saying trails closed for maintenance & any barriers erected at trail heads and then seeing much of the trail works undone as the softer surface gets absolutely destroyed only to need a return visit shortly thereafter, please don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

thanks for that lads. very quick replies!

I'm guessing ye are from that part of the world.

*slightly off topic (completely...)

how would a complete novice outsider get around union wood? i wouldn't be worried about the technical stuff. i'm quite capable of walking. just more so would i find my way around easy enough? i believe they are unofficial trail in there

Advertisement