Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google couldn't answer me

Options
  • 23-07-2019 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

How come undercooked mince can make you sick e coli but you can eat a big bloody steak no bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

Because germs live on surface areas... hence mince has a much greater surface area ..compared to the sealed sides of a steak

Ohh and mince will have gone trough a mincer that's probably filthy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

How come undercooked mince can make you sick e coli but you can eat a big bloody steak no bother?

Because you're killing the bacteria on the edges of the meat, there wont be any in the middle.....whereas in mince it will all be mixed through the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Because germs live on surface areas... hence mince has a much greater surface area ..compared to the sealed sides of a steak

Why can't I eat raw chicken fillets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Be grand, bit of recette

OApaBOw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Different kind of bacteria. It lives deep inside the chicken meat.

Well you could but i wouldn't recommend it ..
    I heard not all chicken but only some carry salmonella

Salmonella and Campylobacter bacteria....nasty stuff

Im the smarter one :P

I just had a badly cooked homemade burger and I'm in bits. I've often eating raw steak hence the question

• Advertisement

The worst food poisoning i ever had was from cocktail sausages at a kids party.. anyone that eat them where in bits!! Pork is nasty

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Steak comes from the choice cuts. Minced beef? Eh, not so much...

Well you could but i wouldn't recommend it ..
    I heard not all chicken but only some carry salmonella

I like those odds, wonder how itd taste

Minced steak gives ecoli aswell though

I just had a badly cooked homemade burger and I'm in bits. I've often eating raw steak hence the question

48 hours will see you right, just keep access to a toilet and drink plenty of water :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Mince is put through a mincer. Plenty of surface area and exposure to bacteria.
    Steak has much less.

Temperatures of 70-80C are all you need to kill bacteria. You can heat a chicken or a steak to that and not cook it.

Yes because its minced.. higher risk as the surface area is greatly multiplied. So needs to be cooked right through to be sure to kill off any bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The worst food poisoning i ever had was from cocktail sausages at a kids party.. anyone that eat them where in bits!! Pork is nasty

Many moons ago I wound up in hospital for three days after those things with severe food poisoning and consequent dehydration.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Many moons ago I wound up in hospital for three days after those things with severe food poisoning and consequent dehydration.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

e. coli comes from the intestine of the animal and can infect any of the meat during slaughter. When you mince the steak e. coli speaks if you don't mince it the muscle fibres of the steak are too dense for it to penetrate so can only be on the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Yet McDonald's in France will routinely give you a pinkish burher

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Yet McDonald's in France will routinely give you a pinkish burher

That's probably food colouring to make it look like meat. I'd stick to my butcher as much as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you have authentic French cuisine available to you(excluding steak tartare) and you choose McDonald's you deserve to be poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Solution: mince your own meat, I do. Works out more expensive but it's worth it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I like those odds, wonder how itd taste
    If you really are suffering from food poisoning at the moment, why would you be contemplating getting a different version of food poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Isn't there a Japanese "delicacy" that has raw chicken ?

F*cking vile if true ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

tuxy wrote: »
    If you have authentic French cuisine available to you(excluding steak tartare) and you choose McDonald's you deserve to be poisoned.

True. I kind of wonder how they exist at all there. I nipped into one for a wee and bought a coffee (which they do well). Some mornings you need a little more than a thimblefull of caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This has absolutely nothing to do with the distribution of bacteria.

Do you really think that bacteria will avoid fillet steak and head straight for the shin beef????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+can+you+eat+steak+rare+but+not+ground+beef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

How does Steak Tartare avoid the risk of infection inherent in raw mince?

Aside, McDonalds in France is not bad at all, streets ahead of the homeless shelters of the same name you'll find in the US. Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to french cusine done well but if you've been on the tear a few days over there you'll appreciate a quick burger and chips over being treated like dirt by some surly Pariesienne waiter before you're deemed worthy to munch down a few snails.

Advertisement