Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork could turn into 'Mini Manhattan' according to the Indo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

Look at Paris - it's a low rise city of 8 million people. For years 36 meters was the height limit bar some exceptions.

And it's an absolute pain in the ass to deal with if you can't afford to live near metro stations. Living in the suburbs usually means a lengthy enough commute and suburban property prices are inflated as people are priced further out due to a lack of central property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

TheSegal wrote: »
    What about 10-20 years down the line? Would it be ok to just add two stories on to what the "average flat/apartment height" is then? We need to solve the ridiculous outward sprawl for the long-term now, rather than just throw a plaster on it for the short-term and say it's good enough

Look at Paris - it's a low rise city of 8 million people. For years 36 meters was the height limit bar some exceptions.

If your going to follow Paris then it's shows up the lack of density in Cork and Dublin. How many 2 bed terraced bungalows and two storey houses are within a couple minutes walk of Paris city centre. The height limit in Paris is 37 meters IIRC and chock full of apartments. Outside the city core (think the Cork docklands) they have buildings higher than anything in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

lawred2 wrote: »
    jesus christ those eyebrows have been dyed to an unnatural level of blackness

Mod warning.

You can criticise the tattoos but anything about her face will lead to a 24 hour ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and Dublin is an ultra-low rise city of about 1 million, which is why you could go up quite modestly and fix the problem of supply.

Here Skyscrapers would be just a willy waving statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And it's an absolute disaster for anyone who's not rolling in money to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Paris is not a nice city to live in. It's sprawling, congested and they have major problems with air pollution.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

and Dublin is an ultra-low rise city of about 1 million, which is why you could go up quite modestly and fix the problem of supply. Here Skyscrapers would be just a willy waving statement.

Building up to any height in Dublin isn't easy. Anything above three floors is described by local residents as (take your pick) a tower, a skyscraper, towering over them, blocking their light, out of keeping with the local area, not suitable for this location or not what the market is looking for (houses forever!). Everything is whinged about incessantly, complained the LA and then to ABP. Bonus points for it being student accommodation, they always attract more complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cork is home to plenty of old men who fancy their daughters.

Ah now be fair Woody's daughter was not a blood relation ...
    circadian wrote: »
    Agreed, Dublin's adoption of Vancouverism (Ironic since Vancouver now has many skyscrapers and a beautiful skyline) is misguided. High rise can be build mindfully without taking away from the surrounding environment, if done properly or can blend in with the older buildings around it.

Edit: My bad, Vancouverism also embraces mixed use high rises. I was mainly referring to the low rise sprawl outside the central area.

jaysus is Dublin now being compared to Vancouver :rolleyes:
    FFred wrote: »
    Unlike our new Manhattan, eh?
    :pac:

ashling-thompson-15-752x501.jpg

Someone should have told her you put the black under the eye to stop the glare.
    Although in her case a black eye means ...

BTW why do people continue to read the Indo/Sindo ?

You are only encouraging the fookers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Manhattan..should do a Pudong in Shanghai on it

fu7z0u27o8ky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rossie1977 wrote: »

That photo is amazing, assuming there's even more built there now since it's another 9 years on

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah now be fair Woody's daughter was not a blood relation ...

jaysus is Dublin now being compared to Vancouver :rolleyes:

Naw, there was no comparison there beyond my incorrect interpretation of the planning guidelines there. Which, you also quoted the edit but sure go ahead and you roll your eyes all ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Unlike our new Manhattan, eh?
    :pac:

ashling-thompson-15-752x501.jpg

Is that what she uses to batter people with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A petition has been launched to support high-rise development in Cork, which could turn Ireland's second city into a mini Manhattan.
    This is the petition OP has bolded in their post.

Comparing Cork to Manhattan is so incredibly stupid I can't even.. but that's pretty much Indo for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Jesus, what did she do to herself with those eyebrows?! :eek: Horrendous :(

Painted on with the broad side of that Hurley

rossie1977 wrote: »

Busan has some cracking skylines around the city.

busan-night-marine-city.jpg?ssl=1

ImagePrint.do?dir=smartEditor&savename=14-01-17-001.jpg

So there are three mid rise buildings being planned: 15 storey, 25 storey and a 35 storey and the Indo says '= mini manhattan'. The indo hasn't even resorted to this in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

biko wrote: »

Comparing Cork to Manhattan is so incredibly stupid I can't even.. but that's pretty much Indo for ya.

Yes its strange that they would refer to the petition supporting high rise buildings but not actually include a link to it in the article itself.

:confused:

Petition: https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/support-high-rise-and-high-density-development-in-the-port-of-cork

I agree that the comparison is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Your just jealous ;). Good to see cork taking inspiration from one of the greatest cities on earth. Meanwhile Dublin is increasingly turning into a mini LA, dirty and sprawling with a thin veneer of gaudy glamour and a heavy sprinkling of racial segregation and violence.

Limerick folds its arms, smirks, and puts on a Chicago blues record.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cork is a fabulous city, very walkable, interesting its got a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Your just jealous ;). Good to see cork taking inspiration from one of the greatest cities on earth. Meanwhile Dublin is increasingly turning into a mini LA, dirty and sprawling with a thin veneer of gaudy glamour and a heavy sprinkling of racial segregation and violence.

Again. Dublin is not a big city it is nowhere even comparable to many other metropolis in the world. So it's funny seeing stuff like it will end up like LA which has a population of 4 million.

Also the level of racism in Ireland compared to America is so low it will never be a big problem.

Dublin will most likely have to go high rise in some parts and people will just have to get over themselves and accept that Ireland is changing and growing. For the better if development is happening. Too many moaners complaining about this, just get on with it and be happy that your city is making strides to becoming a modern developed area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

mariaalice wrote: »
    Cork is a fabulous city, very walkable, interesting its got a lot going for it.
    I like the place. It is a nice large ‘town’.

But, it hardly qualifies as a capital as some people suggest. And comparisons to somewhere like Manhattan are kind of embarrassing tbh.

All the above IMHO of course :)

But, it hardly qualifies as a capital as some people suggest. And comparisons to somewhere like Manhattan are kind of embarrassing tbh.

With the exception of places in China, I can't imagine the word 'town' being used to describe an urban centre with a metropolitan area population of 400,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really hope so because that might be the thing that finally gets the Dublin City planners to cop the fcuk on and start doing likewise.

There are 15 habitable buildings over 50m in height in Belfast compared to 11 in all of the rest of Ireland combined. This is despite the apsolutely depressing land values in Values in Belfast. Obviously something has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

cgcsb wrote: »
    With the exception of places in China, I can't imagine the word 'town' being used to describe an urban centre with a metropolitan area population of 400,000.
    Ah, the old Napoleon complex emerges. 'Town' is not a particularly precisely defined term, and applies to Cork, and Dublin for that matter, just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There are objections against another development in Cork and it's residential so would help ease the housing crisis.

It won't help ease the housing. Those apartments will be well beyond the reach of the average punter.
    Irish people seem to be reflexively against tall buildings for some reason.

Think it has something to do with the old tower blocks in the likes of Ballymun. The quality of high rise buildings has been very poor also (*). The Irish mammy has a very strange view on any sort of dwelling which is not three bed detached minimum, in particular. One of my friends lives in an apartment and his mother often tells him that he has nothing because he doesn't have his own front door.

* High rise by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Big town. Nice streets in centre. Walk for ten minutes and you are in suburbs. Dublin a bit bigger but full of scangers in the North Inner city and South Inner city

I can't help thinking high rise buildings are this boom's Aylesbury Road mansion.

the developers aren't really interested in how practical they are, they just want to build something to match their ego, just like in the last boom they were paying €25m for a house so they owned the most expensive property, now they want the tallest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

biko wrote: »

This landmark tower is being built near the tip of the central island in Cork City. The other two towers are being built close by. Now you know that most of the tall buildings in New York are built near the tip of Manhattan island and if look at an aerial view of both Manhattan island and the Central island in Cork both are actually very similar.

This I imagine is where this comparison came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

salonfire wrote: »
    Cork city is too prone to flooding, development should be stopped there and a new city built on a better site.

Miami, London, NYC, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, New Orleans are prone to flooding yet billions is spent on infrastructure in those cities. Even the costly flood defenses will be of little use when the ice-caps melt

Advertisement