Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

rireland wrote: »
    Just crash already! No hope of buying without a crash.

And before people say I wouldn't be able buy in a crash...possibly. But at least prices would be at a lower base and more affordable in future.

The people who benefit from a crash are the ones with cash and disposable income. If you can't afford to buy now, you'll have the same experience during and after a crash... you'll just be left wondering how everything managed to pass you by again...

Concentrate on putting yourself in a position where you can buy, and stop focusing on what everyone else is doing to make your life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The people who benefit from a crash are the ones with cash and disposable income. If you can't afford to buy now, you'll have the same experience during and after a crash... you'll just be left wondering how everything managed to pass you by again...

Concentrate on putting yourself in a position where you can buy, and stop focusing on what everyone else is doing to make your life difficult.

I reckon the current trend is a blip with regards to Brexit with prices coming down. people are holding the powder dry as brexit will take at least 2 years to resolve. The thing is people have a lot of options with regards to their property. Rents are flying up. Personally I am trying to sell I have a set price I have had some low ball offers but if I don't get the money I am looking for I will simply rent until the market rises to what I want (could take 2 years could take 10 years but property historically rise in the end regardless of the up and down cycle) . I wonder how many others are in the same boat. I don't need to sell to buy. I reckon if I was buying I would hold off for 6 months see what happens with brexit and then go on what happens there. Anyone thinking brexit wont impact our property prices are deluded everything in this country will be impacted by brexit, property, jobs, the over all economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just crash already! No hope of buying without a crash.

And before people say I wouldn't be able buy in a crash...possibly. But at least prices would be at a lower base and more affordable in future.

Yes let's all hope for an economic disaster because it might or even might not suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

fliball123 wrote: »
    I reckon if I was buying I would hold off for 6 months see what happens with brexit and then go on what happens there.

Brexit might take a lot longer than 6 months to resolve, it could take 6 years or more.

Brexit might take a lot longer than 6 months to resolve, it could take 6 years or more.

that is true but in 6 months at least you will know if its a hard or soft brexit or an extension.. It could take a decade to resolve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

fliball123 wrote: »
    I reckon the current trend is a blip with regards to Brexit with prices coming down. people are holding the powder dry as brexit will take at least 2 years to resolve. The thing is people have a lot of options with regards to their property. Rents are flying up. Personally I am trying to sell I have a set price I have had some low ball offers but if I don't get the money I am looking for I will simply rent until the market rises to what I want (could take 2 years could take 10 years but property historically rise in the end regardless of the up and down cycle) . I wonder how many others are in the same boat. I don't need to sell to buy. I reckon if I was buying I would hold off for 6 months see what happens with brexit and then go on what happens there. Anyone thinking brexit wont impact our property prices are deluded everything in this country will be impacted by brexit, property, jobs, the over all economy.

You are prepared to rent for 2 to 10 years with all the cost and uncertainty associated with that becaue you are not prepared to sell at the price the maket dictates?

mariaalice wrote: »
    You are prepared to rent for 2 to 10 years with all the cost and uncertainty associated with that becaue you are not prepared to sell at the price the maket dictates?

yeah I am I will clear the mortgage and have a little left over. I will put it up as unfurnished so it will be the walls and floors that will be wear and tear but sure you can replace them if selling and why should I sell when I am not getting the price i want when i can make a small profit after tax and mortgage and let the market go where it goes in 10 years time i will most likely get a lot more than I am looking for while some one else pays my mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think he's less referring to someone staining your couch to the risk of someone deciding not to pay their rent and overholding for six months or more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Q3 2020 - Q2 2021 is when the economy will slump. It won't crash like 2008 as that was a once in a lifetime crash, akin to 1929, but about 15% will come off property prices. Save your cash, and wait to buy until then. I would have done that myself only we had to buy last year when we did. If you're okay renting for another couple of years I'd wait.

JDD wrote: »
    I think he's less referring to someone staining your couch to the risk of someone deciding not to pay their rent and overholding for six months or more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Q3 2020 - Q2 2021 is when the economy will slump. It won't crash like 2008 as that was a once in a lifetime crash, akin to 1929, but about 15% will come off property prices. Save your cash, and wait to buy until then. I would have done that myself only we had to buy last year when we did. If you're okay renting for another couple of years I'd wait.

Wow, thats a very specific prediction... But i'll only last exactly 1 year... I'd better be ready. Thanks for the information. I'm going to put my life on hold based on your observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Wow, thats a very specific prediction... But i'll only last exactly 1 year... I'd better be ready. Thanks for the information. I'm going to put my life on hold based on your observations.

Relax! He put his opinion out there, its up to you what you do with it. If you want to put your life on hold waiting for what someone thinks may or may not happen, have at it, but its your decision and your consequences one way or the other.

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Relax! He put his opinion out there, its up to you what you do with it. If you want to put your life on hold waiting for what someone thinks may or may not happen, have at it, but its your decision and your consequences one way or the other.

I think you missed my sarcasm...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JDD wrote: »

How much of the 15% is spent renting for the few years?

ELM327 wrote: »

Your logic and considered approach aren't welcome here!!! We need a crash! So that prices will come down and all the people who can't afford to buy now will be set back another 10 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

L1011 wrote:
    I'm getting quite uneasy about the discussion of an identifiable specific property at this stage. The OP has been given quite a lot of solid advice so far so that should be enough

ELM327 wrote:

hahahahaha. Exactly what I was thinking. The rental cost for the house im buying is about 2k per month. If I was to wait 2 years to buy that would be 48k.

The house I'm buying is 340k so if things dropped by 15% it would be 51k less. So theoretically a saving of 3k and running the risk of not being able to obtain credit in 2 years!

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    hahahahaha. Exactly what I was thinking. The rental cost for the house im buying is about 2k per month. If I was to wait 2 years to buy that would be 48k.

The house I'm buying is 340k so if things dropped by 15% it would be 51k less. So theoretically a saving of 3k and running the risk of not being able to obtain credit in 2 years!

You'd be building up equity in the house though if you buy now and are paying the mortgage.

Plus you have your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

You'd be building up equity in the house though if you buy now and are paying the mortgage.

Like a dollar, a house now is worth more than a house in the future :P

Probably about the same amount of that saving and my cost of mortgage plus tax and upkeep etc would still be less than the 48k.
    Like a dollar, a house now is worth more than a house in the future

Hence I'm still going ahead with the sale :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Evd-Burner wrote: »

If you want a more accurate figure, you should be using the rental cost you are currently paying vs what you would be paying for the mortgage. It will inform how much you save / lose in the interim 2 years.

Also, loan amortization in the 2 year period should be considered. Very loosely: 340k, assuming 10% deposit of 34k, mortgage would be 306k. Taking a 30 year mortgage @3%, by July 2021, your principal will be around ~292k.

A 15% drop = 289k. Minus 10% deposit = 260k mortgage in July 2021. Plus the 5k you've saved on the deposit.

So, rather than your suggested saving of 3k, a (theoretical) 15% drop could see you in a more beneficial scenario (depending on your rent situation). But ultimately it is important to do your sums and weigh that up against things like certainty of ownership vs uncertainty of waiting for a crash, and suitability / size of property etc. etc.

Not necessarily, if we're assuming a drop in house prices. EDIT (my bad): The 15% suggested drop would have them around parity, owing 292k with the house worth 289k.

aloooof wrote: »
    If you want a more accurate figure, you should be using the rental cost you are currently paying vs what you would be paying for the mortgage. It will inform how much you save / lose in the interim 2 years.

Also, loan amortization in the 2 year period should be considered. Very loosely: 340k, assuming 10% deposit of 34k, mortgage would be 306k. Taking a 30 year mortgage @3%, by July 2021, your principal will be around ~292k.

A 15% drop = 289k. Minus 10% deposit = 260k mortgage in July 2021. Plus the 5k you've saved on the deposit.

So, rather than your suggested saving of 3k, a (theoretical) 15% drop could see you in a more beneficial scenario (depending on your rent situation). But ultimately it is important to do your sums and weigh that up against things like certainty of ownership vs uncertainty of waiting for a crash, and suitability / size of property etc. etc.
    in interest only (exclude payment of capital)

• Advertisement

in interest only (exclude payment of capital)

Why interest only? The capital part would be accounted for in my suggestion for including loan amortization in the calculation as well, no? (Interested, in case I'm overlooking something).

Why interest only? The capital part would be accounted for in my suggestion for including loan amortization in the calculation as well, no? (Interested, in case I'm overlooking something).

If you're doing it that way (which is possible but less clear IMO) you need to include rent figures for 2 years in the 15% drop scenario.
    For clarity:

Rent for 2 years: 260k mortgage + (2 years * 18k/yr rent)
    Buy now : 306k mortgage + (2 years of interest payments, or €x)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Not necessarily, if we're assuming a drop in house prices. EDIT (my bad): The 15% suggested drop would have them around parity, owing 292k with the house worth 289k.
    Could you include drop in rental income in your calculations as well? If house prices drop, rents might follow. You don't want to end up contributing to your mortgage to cover the cost of it.

aloooof wrote:

I cant, I'm 30 this week and i was told a few years ago when I moved back into my parents that I have to save and move out by 30. As we are close to closing I am allowed to stay until we close and move.

Could you include drop in rental income in your calculations as well? If house prices drop, rents might follow. You don't want to end up contributing to your mortgage to cover the cost of it.

You could, but I'd wager it's another variable that we're guessing, meaning the result becomes increasingly unreliable.

Ultimately, it always comes back to fundamentals; if you can afford it and it suits your needs in the medium-to-long term, it's always a good time to buy.

(As an aside, I was actually surprised in my workings above that, even with a 15% drop over 2 years, OP would still be around parity. I'd have guessed they'd be in negative equity.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

This does not make sense.

I have cash saved up. I do not have enough cash for a 200k mortgage due to my salary.

My cash sum is worth much much more when prices drop.

And concentrate on putting myself in a position to buy? Stupid CB rules mean I have to get a salary increase of 50%....that's only if house prices stay at current levels too.

CB rules are protecting banks but they're throwing people under a bus forcing them to pay massive rents.

Yes let's all hope for an economic disaster because it might or even might not suit you.

You're deluded if you think people don't care about themselves first and foremost.

You're deluded if you think people don't care about themselves first and foremost.

Of course they do. But the people who are deluded are those in this thread who seem to think a crash will come along, leave them entirely untouched, and let them buy a nice cheap house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CB rules are protecting banks but they're throwing people under a bus forcing them to pay massive rents....

Those rules are preventing you from buying something you can't afford. They are also stopping banks from unsustainable loans.

How can you not realise this.... when banks lifted those rules last time the market went super Nova.

High rents are a different issue. That's lack of supply and increased demand.

• Advertisement

Why do people always reply with this?

Even if the full 15% (which is high) was spent on rent, it's still massively beneficial to get a mortgage at prices 15% lower.

Example: House now worth 300k v house worth 15% less (255k). 30k deposit for both.

Total payment over 30 year mortgage:

300k house = €409,680
    255k house = €346,860

So that's an increase of about 18%. That 63k difference is nothing to be sniffed at.

Quite a modest difference considering interest rates will have to go up sometime and spending 45k on rent would cover a number of years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement