Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is circumcision of babies still legal in Ireland

Options
  • 17-07-2019 8:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 1

It's astounding that this barbaric practice is still legal today, what gives someone the right to mutilate a child's genitals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Because it's done to boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Redsky121 wrote: »
    It's astounding that this barbaric practice is still legal today, what gives someone the right to mutilate a child's genitals?
    It's 8 in the morning Redsky, go out for a walk. This is not a good way to start your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

a nonsensical barbaric practice..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sorry lads I think you missunderstand it's circumcision not castaration

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So its okay to be done ? (circumcision) :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

JMNolan wrote: »
    Because it's done to boys.

Its a sad truth but this is the single main reason. A baby boy has no voice and by the time he has one hes had it normalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Redsky121 wrote: »

Religion typically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mix of reasons. The part removed was for a time considered just a useless piece of skin so no loss and if no adult males in your group had a fully functioning mickey how would you gauge any loss. Religious bronze age blood sacrifice nonsense which daftly hangs on in the 21st century. Group affiliation and tradition(my father had it done, I had it done, therefore...). 19th century medical quackery that stayed on in the west well into the 1950's as a fashion(and continued in places like the US to this day). More recently there would be some element of it happening to boys so less of a societal focus compared to girls. If there was a tradition/religious practice where the genitals of baby girls was just sliced and blood drawn but with no tissue removed there would be far more of an uproar and it would be banned in jig time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Religion typically.
    Here's the HSE take on it.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/c/circumcision/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. He that is eight days old among you shall be circumcised; every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house, or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's medically necessary?

I used to argue this point, but yeah, have heard loads of arguments and there's no logical reason for elective (whose election?!) circumcision being legal in any modern society.

Any benefits are marginal, the downsides are universal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. He that is eight days old among you shall be circumcised; every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house, or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring.
    Many faiths and cultures have practised it. Judaism and Islam are about the only modern sophisticated cultures who still do. Islam continued the practice as the religion was filtered through the local culture which had practised it for generations, so saw no need for change. Christianity another offshoot of Judaism didn't because it was filtered through the Roman and Greek cultures which even then considered the practice barbaric and only fit for barbarians so cobbled up a get out clause when they adapted the new religion for themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Autecher wrote: »
    It's 8 in the morning Redsky, go out for a walk. This is not a good way to start your day.

Sanity and justice can be round the clock affairs for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like the tip. It's going nowhere.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

What's your problem op?
    Its no skin off your ooooooooohhh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd happily see it banned here (except in the rare medical circumstances) but it would cause all sorts of hysteria for religious quarters.
    I'd go even further and ban piercing children's ears until they are old enough to consent.

I think it should be banned except in cases of paraphimosis.

Just don’t understand how it’s permissible to go cutting off pieces from a baby’s body.

It’s genital mutilation, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Following that logic, Female Circumcision is perfectly fine too?
    As it doesn't impact fertility?

Would it be a clearer choice if Men campaigned and called it Male Genital Mutilation?

Male circumcision for purely Religious reasons or as a matter of parental choice is something I have an issue with as it presents concerns over the actual bodily autonomy and consideration afforded the child.

That said, there are studies in Sub Saharan Africa that show circumcision offers a degree of prophylaxis against HIV transmission and couple that with evidence that circumcised males have a lower incidence of penile cancers.

That said, the same evidence also could be interpreted to mean that better hygiene and cleaning of the foreskin can achieve similar results.

To lay my own cards on the table.
    I have a son who is circumcised. Not due to any cultural or religious norm.
    Rather as a toddler he suffered from a regular stream of UTI's that a Urologist confirmed was due to phimosis.
    Despite our efforts to stretch it, no joy.
    He had the Op, and in the 13 years since he has had no further UTI.

So my TL:DR is this.
    Imposing it on babies without medical necessity is wrong IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Americans are SO indoctrinated about circumcision that it’s scary. Americans I respect otherwise.

“It’s more hygienic to be circumcised.” - will you ever go and shíte.

Any medical procedure has a cost-benefit analysis. With circumcision, it tips far towards cost over benefit. Babies have immature immune systems. Taking a knife to a baby for cosmetic reasons? What?

A small amount of procedures are botched. Like I said, where there is a great benefit to a procedure, that risk is acceptable. But of there is no real benefit, how is that okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I dont think its unreasonable to ban cosmetic, non medical, procedures which are irreversible on anyone who cant give consent.

Any piercing, male and female genital mutilation etc can wait.

Also, most of the pros of circumcision are extremely questionable, especially the AIDS one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Because it's done to boys and nobody really cares about negative sexual things done to men.

Also because it's a Jewish thing, and to call the Jewish tradition backward will result in you being called an antisemite.

If a minister was to stand up in the Dail and strongly oppose female genital mutilation then he would be a hero.

If the same thing is to be said for men then he would be called an antisemite, racist and probably lose his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I disagree with circumcising boys without any medical reason. However it's not standard practice to circumcise without a medical reason in Ireland. I'm sure there are those that choose to have it done for religious reasons but i can't imagine it's widespread in this country when the religions that require circumcision are in the minority. Maybe take your outrage to the US where it's done as standard on every baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I disagree with circumcising boys without any medical reason. However it's not standard practice to circumcise without a medical reason in Ireland. I'm sure there are those that choose to have it done for religious reasons but i can't imagine it's widespread in this country when the religions that require circumcision are in the minority. Maybe take your outrage to the US where it's done as standard on every baby.

or we could keep our outrage here in ireland, the country where we live.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are a few issues with making it illegal. It is far better to have it done in a hospital/proper medical setting rather than driving it underground if it is done for extreme religious reasons. It is not an extreme medical procedure with a very low risk of medical complications when done in a proper medical setting.

You could make the same case for outlawing tattoo's in U18's, piercing ear's, navels or nose's. You can make case's for virtually anything if you wish. You could outlaw children riding horses for risk or far until they can make an informed choice. It back to a bit of a nanny state.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There are a few issues with making it illegal. It is far better to have it done in a hospital/proper medical setting rather than driving it underground if it is done for extreme religious reasons. It is not an extreme medical procedure with a very low risk of medical complications when done in a proper medical setting.

You could make the same case for outlawing tattoo's in U18's, piercing ear's, navels or nose's. You can make case's for virtually anything if you wish. You could outlaw children riding horses for risk or far until they can make an informed choice. It back to a bit of a nanny state.

Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It should be banned and parents prosecuted unless its done for medically necessary reasons - for both genders.

Culture, religion, hygiene or "so he'll look like his dad" are not valid reasons to chop off a newborn baby's anatomy.

We don't remove tonsils or appendix at birth either so the whole "prevention is better than cure" doesn't wash with me. Its a disgusting practice that should be outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s also generally unnecessary in countries where it’s commonplace so if it does go badly wrong, in hospital which it occasionally will, it’s been for no good reason. In America if it was outlawed, do you honestly think people would start doing the procedure themselves in great numbers?

Low risk isn’t no risk and when the procedure isn’t carried out to cure a medical problem and goes wrong, that’s just unacceptable, IMO. It’s in no way comforting to the affected boy that botching is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it wouldn't be a total bann as there are some medical issues which would require it but other then that you could implement a 50 year jail sentence for anyone who procures such a procedure and carries it out. that would probably go a long way to insure no underground services. a 50 year jail sentence for going abroad to have it done also.
    both mgm and fgm should have very very serious consequences for those who procure and carry it out.
    You could make the same case for outlawing tattoo's in U18's, piercing ear's, navels or nose's.

you could and you would have a very good case. lets do it. there is absolutely no requirement or reason for children and babies to have any of that done.
    You can make case's for virtually anything if you wish. You could outlaw children riding horses for risk or far until they can make an informed choice. It back to a bit of a nanny state.

in the cases of mgm where not medically required, and most of what you mentioned, it is a sensible state removing as much risk as possible to people who cannot concent to taking on those risks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why on earth would you look down at your perfect, healthy newborn baby, who you spent 9 months lovingly growing in your belly, and promptly arrange for a piece of his anatomy to be chopped off?
    It goes against all natural instincts as a parent. Its cruel andunnecessary.

Babies have died having this procedure done. One baby dying is too many.

Advertisement