Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Would be an awful waste of money to sign Bastareaud on a short term contract, especially seeing as Montpellier and Stade Francais have made offers as well so I can't imagine it'd be a cheap signing.

JVG is more than likely looking for a top class 12 replacement for Scannell, but a short-term signing doesn't really do anything, especially someone who is likely to still demand top wages as he'd have significant prospects in Japan or even the MLR if he was to cash out.

He is signed to New York for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster's issue is their results at the business end of the season. Signing Bastareaud doesn't achieve anything and I think this is all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    He is signed to New York for January.

Yup. I meant more if it was a prospective long term thing ala Taute or Mathewson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Munster's issue is their results at the business end of the season. Signing Bastareaud doesn't achieve anything and I think this is all nonsense.

Given the draw Munster have in the European Cup, the business end of their season could well be November...

Bastareaud isn't the player he was but he'd be a useful signing all the same.

Anyhoo... Midi Olympique are now reporting that the man himself is only considering Stade and Montpellier

Given the draw Munster have in the European Cup, the business end of their season could well be November...

Bastareaud isn't the player he was but he'd be a useful signing all the same.

Anyhoo... Midi Olympique are now reporting that the man himself is only considering Stade and Montpellier

Actually having that bit of ballast in midfield against Saracens isn't a terrible idea.

I really want this to happen for pure entertainments sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Actually having that bit of ballast in midfield against Saracens isn't a terrible idea.

I really want this to happen for pure entertainments sake.

A overweight man who can’t run is now classed as “ballast”

Now I know what to fire back at the misses when she asks me to hit the gym....I have ballast darling

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A overweight man who can’t run is now classed as “ballast”

A fat ballastard

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

Actually I think we could do with him in the early rounds of the H/Cup and I'd love to see him play for us in Thomond but I'm not too much in favour of us signing him.

As an aside - London Irish is supposed to be playing us in a pre-season friendly
    Donn O'Sullivan @DonnOSullivan

I'm led to believe Munster Rugby are to host London Irish in a preseason friendly. Will be played in Cork. Date and time etc, TBC, hopefully this week. #LLSport

phog wrote: »
    Actually I think we could do with him in the early rounds of the H/Cup and I'd love to see him play for us in Thomond but I'm not too much in favour of us signing him.

As an aside - London Irish is supposed to be playing us in a pre-season friendly

That should be an interesting experience for Kidney!

Unfortunately I can already guess where the media attention will focus if that fixture is going ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

London Irish again. I reckon that's 7 out of the lat 10 pre seasons we've played them. Including last season, so Kidneys been back already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

That could be a PR nightmare..
    Someone in Munster surely has more sense that to bring them over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

bennyl10 wrote: »

Pretty sure it's a longstanding deal but it could get very messy if there's a sign of a certain player in the LI match day squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Said player was conveniently absent when Perpignan played in Connacht, I would be absolutely shocked if he played against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

bennyl10 wrote: »

People will make what they want of it - the #NotMyCaptain brigade will surely have a hast tag ready for whatever eventuality arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭b.gud

People will make what they want of it - the #NotMyCaptain brigade will surely have a hast tag ready for whatever eventuality arises.

#NotMyMunsterEvenThoughIDontActuallySupportMunsterButImUsingThisHashtagToMakeAPointIThink

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Said player was conveniently absent when Perpignan played in Connacht, I would be absolutely shocked if he played against Munster.

Maybe but it will be made an issue until sqaud is confirmed so will be an issue up until week of match if it happens

This will annoy some people. The deals with Adidas and Lifestyle Sports has been extended until the end of the 2025/26 season. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/07/09/munster-rugby-extend-partnerships-with-adidas-and-life-style-sports/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Very annoying. Limited range, poor quality, iron on (wash off) crests, sizing all over the place, no 20% voucher, no bricks and mortar stock outside Munster, crazy pricing... and all the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Wonder if the same people complaining about the Adidas and Lifestyle deals would be the same ones complaining about Munster running at a financial loss?
    This deal is about money and nothing else. Munster get top dollar and that's the be all and end all of the deal. Who cares if supporters don't like it, Adidas and Lifestyle have already signed up to pay the money.

Wonder if the same people complaining about the Adidas and Lifestyle deals would be the same ones complaining about Munster running at a financial loss?
    This deal is about money and nothing else. Munster get top dollar and that's the be all and end all of the deal. Who cares if supporters don't like it, Adidas and Lifestyle have already signed up to pay the money.

Isn't the value of the deal dependent on supporters buying the products? Yes long term deal good for Munster but no reason why they can't provide good secvice to the ones buying the product too. Hardly an either or situation

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »

Isn't the value of the deal dependent on supporters buying the products? Yes long term deal good for Munster but no reason why they can't provide good secvice to the ones buying the product too. Hardly an either or situation
    Munster sign a deal with Adidas which gives them cash and gear. Adidas get the rights to use the Munster crest. Lifestyle pay to have exclusive rights to sell the gear supplied by Adidas.
    As far as I'm aware there are no longer any sales bonuses included as was the case with Canterbury.

The fact that both Adidas and Lifestyle have extended by 5 years with 2 years still to go on the current deals points to plenty of supporters buying the product.

I've also never had an issue with Lifestyle or their customer service. Maybe I'm lucky with my local store.

The fact that both Adidas and Lifestyle have extended by 5 years with 2 years still to go on the current deals points to plenty of supporters buying the product.

I've also never had an issue with Lifestyle or their customer service. Maybe I'm lucky with my local store.

Yes but my reply was specifically to idea of "who cares if the supporters like it". It's not either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

This is the long and short of it

Yes but my reply was specifically to idea of "who cares if the supporters like it". It's not either or.
    Do you want Munster to take less money on their kit deal, so that you and other supporters MIGHT buy more gear which only means more money for Adidas and Lifestyle?

Do you want Munster to take less money on their kit deal, so that you and other supporters MIGHT buy more gear which only means more money for Adidas and Lifestyle?

No and didn't suggest any of that in my posts. :confused: My point is that this deal can benefit the clubs and hopefully supporters get a decent product too at same time. That it wasn't an either/or scenario of good for the club so if the supporters aren't happy feck it. It's not that high a bar that both are happy and hopefully will be with this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Living in Dublin I couldn't find a store stocking the new gear, so I ordered online and collected in store today, this item - https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/adult-munster-euro-training-top-2019-20-52800710.html?cgid=rugby-irish-munsterall

I cannot advise against it strongly enough, going straight back to the shop tomorrow. 3 different materials, all of them jar with each other, the material of the main body of it is awful, and the sizing is brutal - way too long! Especially the arms, which is made worse by the fact that instead of a nice cuff it extends down over your whole hand basically. Just looks wrong. The whole thing is like wearing a bin bag. Avoid.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Living in Dublin I couldn't find a store stocking the new gear, so I ordered online and collected in store today, this item - https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/adult-munster-euro-training-top-2019-20-52800710.html?cgid=rugby-irish-munsterall

I cannot advise against it strongly enough, going straight back to the shop tomorrow. 3 different materials, all of them jar with each other, the material of the main body of it is awful, and the sizing is brutal - way too long! Especially the arms, which is made worse by the fact that instead of a nice cuff it extends down over your whole hand basically. Just looks wrong. The whole thing is like wearing a bin bag. Avoid.

In fairness, just by looking at the pictures you can see that there are different materials and that the arms are really long with an angled cut at the cuff. Maybe you should have taken a better look at the pics before purchasing. There are plenty who'll purchase it and like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

In fairness, just by looking at the pictures you can see that there are different materials and that the arms are really long with an angled cut at the cuff. Maybe you should have taken a better look at the pics before purchasing. There are plenty who'll purchase it and like it.

Yes you can, but you can't see how they feel, and how the materials feel crap, especially as a combination.

Yes you can see the angled cut off, but that's on top of a very long arm length already, that doesn't really come across in the photo in my opinion.

No need to be so smart, I am giving my opinion.

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    Yes you can, but you can't see how they feel, and how the materials feel crap, especially as a combination.

Yes you can see the angled cut off, but that's on top of a very long arm length already, that doesn't really come across in the photo in my opinion.

No need to be so smart, I am giving my opinion.

Yes, your opinion. These will fly out the door and most will be more than happy with them.

Advertisement