Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports Extra - BT & Premier Sports post 1st August

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Those 3pm games are low fare stuff and the Anazon games are just 2 rounds.

I'd be happy with just Sky/Bt.

These games won't seem low fare on the day they are on and we have nothing to watch! Fair few Liverpool and Man Utd games were shown last season at 3 pm.

Dilutes the basic Sky Sports substantially I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Incidentally Sky and BT fixtures to end September were announced this morning but no word on the 3pms yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

icdg wrote: »
    Incidentally Sky and BT fixtures to end September were announced this morning but no word on the 3pms yet.

Looking at the fixtures for August/September - I'd say Premier will jump on Man United's games at 3pm with them playing Palace on the 24/8 & Leicester on the 14/9.

Not sure on individual teams quota per channel etc, but one of those (perhaps Palace) will surely be live on Premier imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I closed my eir account last month and went back to virgin media minus the sports and movies as was paying way too much.
    The only thing that had been keeping me with eir was the bt sports to watch the big ufc events.
    Is it correct to say that this wknd ufc 238 can only be seen on bt sports box office?? This is the first ufc that regular sports isn’t showing. I know they are showing the prelims. It doesn’t affect me any more, am happy to just watch bits next day on YouTube, and Mcgregor never fights now anyway. But jeez, these tv companies are just fleecing us now to watch live sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

I think that is more a UFC thing than BT. This situation is similar to what they agreed in the disastrous eleven sports deal. Some events included as before, the bigger events only on ppv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's UFC 239, but yeah. It's €25 on PPV. Fingers crossed the figures are terrible and knocks the notion of PPV events here on the head.

Bad enough having to shell out €25 on top of the €30 I pay for Eir Sports (cancelling shortly mind you) but also you can't record it so would have to sit up from 3am to 6am.

Sack that. Its repeated for free on Friday. I'll suck it up and stay offline til then.

It’s $60 in the States, and I have heard of boxing PPVs over there costing far more (McGregor v Mayweather was $90!). It’s what UFC want but McGregor aside they simply don’t have the fan base over here to support PPV.

It’s $60 in the States, and I have heard of boxing PPVs over there costing far more (McGregor v Mayweather was $90!). It’s what UFC want but McGregor aside they simply don’t have the fan base over here to support PPV.

In the states they're used to PPV for big events because all the smaller events are on free TV. They also get to watch in prime time.

Here I'm paying €30 just for access to the basics events, then being asked for an extra €25 for an event that's on from 3-6am.

That’s true. It’s a different model over there. Far more Sports is free to air. All the major leagues have a mix of FTA and pay outlets. More of the big games are FTA. The NFL has contracts with three free to air networks and a pay TV network, and it’s own pay TV network to boot. ESPN is often cited as the US equivalent of Sky Sports but actually it’s more like Eurosport, part of basic tier packages. But there’s a trade off - channels like HBO, Showtime, etc - equivalents of Sky Atlantic - are premium tier services over there. Completely different model.

We’re getting further away from the thread topic of BT and Premier Sports though, I don’t know why Sky are leaving it so late to formally announce the package (and I suspect why we haven’t heard the 3pm picks) but surely there will be a press launch in the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I’m holding off switching my broadband till this gets announced.
    Sky could give their broadband business a shot in the arm if they do something like Eir did (can’t see them offering BT free but discounted).

I’d have thought they’d have the announcement and advertising machine in full swing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Baseball72

I have been paying Sky €122.50 pm and BT €29.99 pm. Cancelled both nearly 30 days ago. Cut off anxiety kicking in!

Still haven't signed up to alternatives. From reading posts here, maybe letting Sky a/c lapse and then sign yup as a "new customer" and avail of their €35pm broadband /Q box and build bundle from there, might be the way to go......?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Baseball72 wrote: »
    I have been paying Sky €122.50 pm and BT €29.99 pm. Cancelled both nearly 30 days ago. Cut off anxiety kicking in!

Still haven't signed up to alternatives. From reading posts here, maybe letting Sky a/c lapse and then sign yup as a "new customer" and avail of their €35pm broadband /Q box and build bundle from there, might be the way to go......?

That is a lot of money per month, they should offer you an attractive deal to stay...even after its cancelled off

Just called Eir to cancel the sports pack, on the basis that I only signed up for UFC content. The lady insisted that BT would now be putting "most of their events" on PPV.

Dirty liars!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

This loss of BT Sports to the EIR product will help push me to go to Vodafone now for my Broadband who are now selling Fibre Optic broadband on the SIRO lines outside my house through the ESB ducting. Kids will be delighted to be getting 55gb speeds on Xbox etc.

Maybe we can dump the rants about Eir losing the channels elsewhere - maybe the eir thread - though the Broadband aspect is entirely off topic in a Broadcasting forum. Also the comment in DrPhilG’s post is completely uncalled for and DrPhilG can take a warning for it

Maybe we can dump the rants about Eir losing the channels elsewhere - maybe the eir thread - though the Broadband aspect is entirely off topic in a Broadcasting forum. Also the comment in DrPhilG’s post is completely uncalled for and DrPhilG can take a warning for it

Could I get an explanation, by pm if necessary?

This is a thread in the broadcasting section, about BT Sport.

I was told lies about BT's service by an Eir representative in an attempt to sway my decision on a provider. I don't see how this warrants a warning.

You don’t know that you were told lies or whether the CSR made a genuine mistake. The person concerned isn’t here to defend themselves and in that context I won’t have such serious accusations being thrown around. Incidentally it certainly appears to me that although it might be premature to say that UFC will moving “most” events to PPV, I think they are certainly making a statement that they intend to move the big events in that direction starting UFC 239. It appears to me that a person not fully in the know (and why should they be briefed on a product they won’t be providing after 1st August) might make a genuine mistake if they had heard some of the media reports regarding UFC 239 being on BT Sport Box Office.

That was the reason for the warning, and having repeated it, the reason are now taking a 48 hour ban.

I’d have looked past the wrong thread thing if it were only that. It is the allegation of lies that I am more concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

I was told complete BS by two Eir reps today too when I contacted them to cancel because of the loss of BT Sports. One on chat and one on the phone. I asked chat could they cancel using that medium (chat). No problem, give me your account number, they said. I sought clarification, you can 100% cancel for me if I give you my account number? They came back and said no they couldn't actually cancel but they would try to convince me to stay. BS No.1.

Then I called to cancel and was told I could only cancel on the day my 12 months was up and give 30 days' notice on that day. I said that's not true, my contract is for 12 months not 13. I'm giving you 30 days' notice, today being end of month 11. Operator goes away to read Terms and comes back to tell me I'm right. BS no. 2

They are poorly trained, and try to make up stuff when they don't actually know the facts. Their call centres are haemorrhaging staff (I have interviewed many of their ex-staff for other jobs and the stories of utter chaos within are almost incredible), their accounts section appear to have great difficulty in applying discounts/credit when agreed, the wait time for calls is atrocious.

Just to be clear - *again* - this is not the Eir thread. I don’t see one mention of Sky, Premier Sports, or BT Sport in the post above. In fact I don’t see any mention of anything television related whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

I've fixed that now so you are in no doubt about why I contacted Eir. I would imagine most people knew why I contacted them considering the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Shero1985 wrote: »
    The whole thing is madness.

In any other industry, competition means lower prices. When it comes to tv in Ireland, it just makes things more expensive for customers!

Not sure why you believe this is competiton. There is no competition between all the providers because none of them offer the same product.

If Sky and BT both showed the same matches then you would have competition.

Eir have no responsiblity for BT Sport or Premier Sports programmes (other than on some platforms FreeSport) after 1st August

That was the rationale for this separate thread. It is so the two can go their separate ways as is logical.

It is becoming clear to me that some posters are unwilling to abide by this, and so, I am now implementing the “Plan B” as discussed in post #25 on this thread.

This thread will now be closed, and we will revert to having all eir BT and Premier Sports discussion in one thread, until well after the split takes place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement