Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭declanleo

MadYaker wrote: »
    I feel sorry for whoever has to sit beside me on the plane I stink and I can’t stop twitching

Twitching was brutal yesterday. Aiden gillen was on our flight,he looked like he was dragged through a bush. Rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

declanleo wrote: »
    Twitching was brutal yesterday. Aiden gillen was on our flight,he looked like he was dragged through a bush. Rough

Is the twitching from taking drugs? Pretty sure I used to get that when I overindulged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Is the twitching from taking drugs? Pretty sure I used to get that when I overindulged.

Doubtful. More likely overdoing the herbal teas in the Green Fields. Stick to the beer next year guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

love the cure but I've walked away from them twice at festivals. Definitely not an average band though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How are the recoveries going? I feel much better today but not quite 100% It was a hot one! This was both good and bad. It was good because who doesn’t like sunshine but Saturday was just too hot and it really restricted my ability to get around the site, It went over 30 degrees which is fine on a sun holiday but too hot for a festival where you’ve only your own two legs to get you around and not much shade. Despite that though I still had a great 5 days. The lineup for me wasn’t as strong as 2017 but that was ok. I spent a lot more time with group which was excellent as some of them were friends of friends whom I hadn’t met before and they were all lovely people.

I’ll give a brief rundown and try not to write an essay as I doubt anyone is arsed reading it. We arrived on site late enough wednesday, around 5pm but we only queued for about an hour. We just wandered on wednesday evening. There were a few first timers in the group and I dragged them to NYC Downlow in south east corner of the festival. For anyone who doesn’t know, NYC Downlow is a replica of an illegal gay nightclub that was in Brooklyn NY in the 1980s, it was in an old meat processing factory. The replica they build has fake hanging meat carcases and loads of dark rooms inside. The doormen and most of the time the DJs, are all in drag or else wearing nothing but a big butchers apron to cover their junk. They mostly book DJs that play 70s disco / old school house and stuff like that. In there I’ve seen people like Dimitri from Paris, Masters at Work and Dan Shake. The people I dragged couldn’t believe it, its always a mental night in there and totally not what you expect to find at a music festival.

Thursday was more wandering but actually ended up being one of my best days at the fest due to an awesome evening at the glade stage starting with a live set by George Fitzgerald and then a run of world class DJs including Nick Warren, Hernan Cattaneo and ending with an amazing set by John Digweed. This guy is a bloody genius and I always enjoy his sets so much. If you like progressive house or trance you really should check him out. Bushwaka was on after but I legged to SIlver Hayes for Mall Grab.

As I said earlier the lineup was not that strong for me this year and Sunday in particular was a barren wasteland on my clashinder. But my headliners in order were Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers and Janelle Monae / Christine and the Queens. Chems were the best hands down. I saw them at EP in 2016 but I was too far gone to remember it. I had to subject myself to about 20 minutes of the Courteeners in order to get a good spot front centre at the barrier but it was worth it. Amazing show both in terms of the music and the visuals and it felt like a special gig to me anyway. The new album is so strong and the new tunes blend with the classics so well. I have no idea what the lads are actually doing behind their massive bank of synths and drum machines but they looked like they were having a great time, feeding off the raucous energy of the crowd. I have to say I was impressed by Janelle Monae on West Holts. I didn’t know the tunes but she has an amazing voice and a great band. Also when we arrived in the after she’d started there two girls pole dancing topless on the flags at the bottom of the field near the path, they actually knew what they were doing and were getting cheered by a small crowd. Utterly bizarre. Before that we’d watched about 20 mins of Christine and The Queens. I was enjoying this but the group weren’t into it so we didn’t stay.

Other highlights included Kylie who was great but didn’t blow me away. I’m not the target audience. I have to say the crowd was crazy huge, the field was overflowing even she seemed surprised. She wheeled out Nick Cave for a tune I didn’t recognise but it was cool just to see him. There was a bunch of other acts I saw that were good including Fontaines DC and Billie Eillish who I’m slightly ashamed to admit I enjoyed, she’s only 17! I caught bits of Years & Years who aren’t really my thing and also another I unexpectedly enjoyed was Miley Cyrus! It was heavier than I was expecting, she covered Metallica and Nine Inch Nails. I tried to get near Foals on the park but it was rammed to the gills and with no delay towers or screens and the small size of the field if you weren’t in there it was hard to see or hear. Apart from that I ate some lovely food, met some lovely people who hopefully I’ll see again in 2020 and had all round epic 5 days. Were surely due a washout next year? Fingers crossed for tickets, it’s got to be better than watching it on the couch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Madyaker that sounds incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great rundown MY.

Didn't spent as much time in SE Corner this year as I'd planned other than a quick wander round Block9 - particularly IICON.
    .. She wheeled out Nick Cave for a tune I didn’t recognise but it was cool just to see him.
    Belter of a tune!

Were surely due a washout next year?
    giphy.gif

brevity wrote: »
    I’ve been to a good few festivals, not enough mind you, so I would be fairly comfortable in the environment. I know Glastonbury is about 10 festivals all joined together though.

Would love to see Arcadia and Block 9 and some of the hidden gems ;)

The place is unreal. The size,the amount of different areas,attitude of the people,the set up,everything has blown me away. Friday morning i wanted to go home,monday morning at 6am i had to force myself to bed. If you are into festivals you should do it at least once but now i know where most of it is I want to explore it more

Too much yoga methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

Definitely aiming to go next year. How do you manage re cleanliness? I wouldn't be into camping at all but would rough it for this amazing festival of music!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

unichick wrote: »
    Definitely aiming to go next year. How do you manage re cleanliness? I wouldn't be into camping at all but would rough it for this amazing festival of music!

Previously wet wipes, but they will probably be banned by this time next year in the same way as plastic bottles are the current top of the hit list of evil things.

Otherwise, just accept the muck. Everyone else is in the same boat until you leave the site and it really doesn't matter once you keep your hands and face relatively grime free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thank you!...

now if we could get the chemical brothers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

There are showers available. They were just turned off this year to conserve water in the extreme heat.

Most people showered at their tents with a water bottle.

One of these would have been very handy though

https://www.lifeventure.com/en-ie/products/washgear/travel-bottle-shower?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28yh-4Ob4wIVTUTTCh1xcQtJEAYYASABEgKzgvD_BwE

I'm sure you'll find them cheaper on some Chinese sites if you looked.

one of these, fill during the daytime/night (queues for the taps are ridiculous in the morning, mostly because of morons standing in front of the taps to brush their teeth while about 10 people could have filled their bottles in the time it takes for them to finish brushing)
    https://www.53degreesnorth.ie/vango-foldable-water-carrier-8l.html

+ a sponge

give yourself a lather, rinse off with the water from the water carrier.

Also handy to have a big container of water in the tent anyway...

Showers in the Greenpeace area you can take a ticket and then go off and get some breakfast and then come back for when your number is up (i think).

Showers in Worthy View if you choose to stay there (although a lot of people use them, so queues can be big-ish in the mornings, although they move quickly for men at least). presume there's showers in the unofficial off-site glamping places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Also showers at the Kidz Field that anyone can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Collapsible bucket, fill with water, use 500ml bottle, chuck over head and body, lather, rinse.

41N03-RalUL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    empty-plastic-bottles-500x500.jpg

Or yeah, use the Kidz Field/Greenpeace showers. Although they closed them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

We had a solar shower, cost less than a tenner and given the heat it was actually warmer than we wanted it. Got four people a quick wash each from one refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can’t watch videos of the fest until a week or two after

My new desktop wallpaper in work (albeit higher quality version):

107654227-gettyimages-1152091565.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Fontaine's D.C. - Boys in the better land.

https://youtu.be/mH_3yKK5ijw

Basq wrote: »
    My new desktop wallpaper in work (albeit higher quality version):

107654227-gettyimages-1152091565.jpg
    nice!

someone posted this on efestivals (from reddit), of Foals secret set at The Park, great for zooming in on nearby areas too!

https://i.redd.it/m953qy71iy731.jpg
    m953qy71iy731.jpg

Yeah, you can see me walking away! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bradley111

Dante7 wrote: »
    Fontaine's D.C. - Boys in the better land.

Banger

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

I would love to go one day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tame Impala have to be the most boring headliners ever. Jeez, they are so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The beauty of music, it's all opinion and taste

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah last 2 songs and left. Dull band. Wrong stage and time for them though. Never a headliner.

Also not on board this Fontaines hype train. Awful stuff.

You missed the killers the next night did you ?

• Advertisement

buser2x wrote: »
    I would love to go one day

I say it every year after watching it from the couch

Defiantly going to try go in the next few years. I’ve never heard a single person say it wasn’t worth it. Loved reading everyone’s reviews here too.

Advertisement