Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake!

Options
  • 06-07-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of shaking goin on in Southern California in recent days...even a 7.1 mag earthquake recently. Lots in the mag 5 range.

https://www.emsc-csem.org/#2w

Let's reserve this thread in case of the big one ;)

The Rock is on standby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A lot of shaking goin on in Southern California in recent days...even a 7.1 mag earthquake recently. Lots in the mag 5 range.

https://www.emsc-csem.org/#2w

Let's reserve this thread in case of the big one ;)

The Rock is on standby.

But...is it raining ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I always wondered why California is such a healthy living place. The place is on a massive fault line. Fcuk it dude, get off your tits all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Birneybau wrote: »
    I always wondered why California is such a healthy living place. The place is on a massive fault line. Fcuk it dude, get off your tits all the time.

There’s loads of fault lines. These latest quakes were not on the San Andreas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ok, so I thought this was funny and yes, I realize it was a serious situation.
    Question: Was there inappropriate touching?
    Question: And what really happened when they went under the desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully, no fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thursdays one didn't feel dangerous at all, but last night had me scared and I'm over 100 miles away from the epicentre. It went on for what felt like ages, and there were several aftershocks too. Can't imagine what it was like for those who live closer. Scary stuff

I was only there last year.

#Blessed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I lived in San Francisco briefly 20 years back. Great place - made a few good friends there - and I go back to visit every few years but the possibility of a major quake was always on the back of my mind when I was living there.

You just try to put your fears aside and get on with things.

My dad was caught up in the major San Francisco earthquake of October 1989 when on a business trip. He said the violence of the event was something he would not like to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Scary fcuking things, not recommended, particularly with a hangover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

JayZeus wrote: »

#Blessed

Oh ffs.

Oh ffs.

;)

I experienced a 5.6 earthquake - about ten times less intense than the recent one in California. It was short but even that felt like it could do damage were it more sustained. And it was clearly an earthquake, there were previous 4s ( there are lots of 4s) that I couldn’t really tell if it was an earthquake of a truck rumbling by, or a high spin washing machine next door. . Windows might shake but that’s all.

But the 5.6 knocked over some items in the house. It was ten times greater in magnitude than what I had previously experienced.

The Californians I was with were more worried that I was because they knew the potential consequences, if it lasted or deepened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is a huge magnitude quake long overdue in California so? When was the last major one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

leahyl wrote: »
    Is a huge magnitude quake long overdue in California so? When was the last major one?

Well the last major destructive one was Loma Prieta in Northern California. It was only a 6.9 though. This week’s one in Southern California was 7.1. However it was in an largely unpopulated area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake

Some of SF will eventually fall into the sea - the bedrock in most parts of the city is weak and some is reclaimed land, and yet it’s in an earthquake zone.

Well the last major destructive one was Loma Prieta in Northern SF. It was only a 6.9 though. This week’s one in Southern California was 7.1. However it was in an largely unpopulated area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake

Some of SF will eventually fall into the sea - the bedrock in most parts of the city is weak and some is reclaimed land, and yet it’s in an earthquake zone.

Interesting stuff, was just reading about the San Andreas fault there. God, you’d easily forget that California is on this fault line until something like this happens. I suppose people just have to get on with life and hope that a huge one won’t happen...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The last seriously destructive earthquakes in California were in 1989 and 1906, both in San Francisco. The ‘89 quake (which my dad was caught up in) saw the Marina part of San Francisco leveled and part of the Bay Bridge collapsing. The greatest fatalities were in Oakland where a double deck freeway collapsed and killed dozens of motorists.

The 1906 quake almost completely destroyed San Fransisco.

Los Angeles has seen two less destructive quakes in recent times - 1971 and 1994, both damaging the San Fernando valley area. The “big one” when it hits - and it is only a question of when, not if - will be horrendously destructive but given the very rigid building codes in California - the casualties will hopefully be minimized.

The Pacific Northwest is overdue a massive subduction earthquake which could do serious damage to Seattle and Vancouver. It is only in the past 20 years that the possibility of a massive quake in this area has been fully recognized and accordingly building codes have only been tightened to reflect that risk in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I watched a documentary about vampires in California and their clubhouse was situated in a building that was destroyed as a result of an earthquake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JayZeus wrote: »

#Blessed

Contact the Daily Mail, they’ll run a story on your close shave with death.

I had a close shave myself there recently, we had a 2.1 magnitude earthquake here in Donegal a month or so ago, my umbrella which was stood in the corner of the utility room fell over and just missed my ankle by about 5ft..scary shjt right there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the event of a major earthquake, having enough of your wits about you to take cover could be a lifesaver. If there's a tsunami warning, the same applies to being able to drive.

Being off your tits in a time seismic activity is just ... dead stoopid.

Building codes may have been tightened in California but a lot of San Francisco is Victorian. Also the bedrock matters.

The Loma Prieta was centered 40 miles of so south of San Francisco, off Santa Cruz, closer to San Jose than San Francisco, but many of the fatalities and injuries were in San Francisco and Oakland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Pacific Northwest is overdue a massive subduction earthquake which could do serious damage to Seattle and Vancouver. It is only in the past 20 years that the possibility of a massive quake in this area has been fully recognized and accordingly building codes have only been tightened to reflect that risk in recent yea4.

The earthquake took place at about 21:00 Pacific Time on January 26, 1700.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake
    The 1700 Cascadia earthquake occurred along the Cascadia subduction zone on January 26 with an estimated moment magnitude of 8.7–9.2. The megathrust earthquake involved the Juan de Fuca Plate from mid-Vancouver Island, south along the Pacific Northwest coast as far as northern California. The length of the fault rupture was about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles), with an average slip of 20 meters

"Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast."[

The south is overdue too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E2%80%9312_New_Madrid_earthquakes
    NMSZ_Vergleich.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In the event of a major earthquake, having enough of your wits about you to take cover could be a lifesaver. If there's a tsunami warning, the same applies to being able to drive.

Being off your tits in a time seismic activity is just ... dead stoopid.

Well going by the comments on Reddit, an awful lot of people in the region were partaking in legal marijuana on both occasions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I lived in San Francisco briefly 20 years back. Great place - made a few good friends there - and I go back to visit every few years but the possibility of a major quake was always on the back of my mind when I was living there.

You just try to put your fears aside and get on with things.

My dad was caught up in the major San Francisco earthquake of October 1989 when on a business trip. He said the violence of the event was something he would not like to repeat.

The crushed cars on the collapsed highway. Seared on my brain from the news reports of the time. It cuts into this World Series game from Candlestick Park:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The last seriously destructive earthquakes in California were in 1989 and 1906, both in San Francisco. The ‘89 quake (which my dad was caught up in) saw the Marina part of San Francisco leveled and part of the Bay Bridge collapsing. The greatest fatalities were in Oakland where a double deck freeway collapsed and killed dozens of motorists.

The 1906 quake almost completely destroyed San Fransisco.

Los Angeles has seen two less destructive quakes in recent times - 1971 and 1994, both damaging the San Fernando valley area. The “big one” when it hits - and it is only a question of when, not if - will be horrendously destructive but given the very rigid building codes in California - the casualties will hopefully be minimized.

The Pacific Northwest is overdue a massive subduction earthquake which could do serious damage to Seattle and Vancouver. It is only in the past 20 years that the possibility of a massive quake in this area has been fully recognized and accordingly building codes have only been tightened to reflect that risk in recent years.

The reason the Kobe earthquake caused so much loss of life was because many houses had heavy roofs on flimsy enough houses so the roofs just collapsed onto the houses holding them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Aaw I really felt for the eagle there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I've always wondered why property is so expensive there considering the fault line.

Advertisement