Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death announced of racing broadcaster John McCririck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

mod edit <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well that escalated quickly!
    Must be a record.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly!
    Must be a record.

He was anti Irish scumbag. Any chance he got he would run us down. He may be missed in England but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    He was anti Irish scumbag. Any chance he got he would run us down. He may be missed in England but not here.

He was a bit of a little Englander,didnt stop him running to an Irishman when he was going bust though
    Hilariously bought back into contention years later when Barney Curley decided to give him an interview that he never asked for after accusing Curley of stopping a horse on Attheraces and was left speechless and stuttering meekly "Yes Barney" when faced up.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

RIP.

Great supporter of Racing. Extremely passionate and engaging. Not his biggest fan myself but i met him once after racing and he couldnt have been nicer. He will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    He's also the guy who called the city of Liverpool a cancer.

He's also the guy who called the city of Liverpool a cancer.

Yeah that was a little harsh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Ok, guys, let's keep this respectful. Ever hear of don't speak ill of the dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

https://twitter.com/GinaBryce/status/1147095094123737088

Obviosuly became a parody of himself in later years, but his presence in the media scene - complaining about bookies overrounds and shaving fractions of starting prices - where he stood up for the punter is badly missed these days. There appears to be very few people who worked with him who have had a bad word to say about him. (Not just today but throughout the trial with Channel 4). He was a public schoolboy and relied on it when he had to, but he had far more depth than the cartoon character he became after his racing days were done.

The anti-irish thing, jays, reminds me of the time John Upson got death threats for saying you wouldnt see the farce at the start of the Grand National in an Irish Point to Point. Death threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »

Obviosuly became a parody of himself in later years, but his presence in the media scene - complaining about bookies overrounds and shaving fractions of starting prices - where he stood up for the punter is badly missed these days. There appears to be very few people who worked with him who have had a bad word to say about him. (Not just today but throughout the trial with Channel 4). He was a public schoolboy and relied on it when he had to, but he had far more depth than the cartoon character he became after his racing days were done.

The anti-irish thing, jays, reminds me of the time John Upson got death threats for saying you wouldnt see the farce at the start of the Grand National in an Irish Point to Point. Death threats.
    Does the stupid Upson threats somehow say that McCrirrick was not anti Irish.
    There's a reason that no Irish jockey or trainer wanted anything to do with him and when they had to be on the same programme with him they would just laugh at his BS or just plain ignore him.

He was from an era of society and class that looked at Irish people as inferiors and didn't think there was anything wrong with saying it.

I worked in British racing in the early 80s and as an Irishman you wouldn't want to be sensitive but Irish and British people in racing there were closer in work and play than any other industry over there IMO.
    No one be they Irish or British had any respect for him in racing as a racing commentator.

tipptom wrote: »
    No one be they Irish or British had any respect for him in racing as a racing commentator.

I couldnt care about what was said before this statement. But this statement is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

In fairness Tom you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought he was a character and I always took him with a pinch of salt.

He was a great advocate for punting and racing, never shy of voicing his opinions and he took all his criticisms on the chin.

He stood up for all punters, while a lot of the industry doesn't, we are constantly seen as second class citizens even though without us there would be no racing.

He understood that.

Any decent Irishman should be able to take some criticism and a beating now and then, it is in our blood.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I agree with the above post.
    We do not need to react to anti-Irish comments. Our people and horses speak for us.
    McCririck made a living out of controversy, just as the present day English racing presenter who criticised Australian horses does.

tipptom wrote: »
    He was a bit of a little Englander,didnt stop him running to an Irishman when he was going bust though
    Hilariously bought back into contention years later when Barney Curley decided to give him an interview that he never asked for after accusing Curley of stopping a horse on Attheraces and was left speechless and stuttering meekly "Yes Barney" when faced up.

This is kinda the attitude.

While Barney Curley was getting his big break (another public schoolboy) by being involved with Emil Savundra, and pulling stunt after stunt in an effort to cheat the system, John McCririck was winning investigative journalism prizes for stopping scandals in the Tote where head had to be fired as a result, Extel commentary service. Yet, its Curley who is the hero when getting all high and mighty when McCririck had commented on a different programme that a Curley horse wasnt running on its merits. Guess what lads, the horse wasn't running on its merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Barney Curley was a public schoolboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

convert wrote: »
    Ever hear of don't speak ill of the dead?
    Yeah, it's a phrase I don't agree with.

Of course there's nothing wrong with speaking ill of the dead if it's based on their behaviour. Dying doesn't cancel it out.

Controversial people will be discussed when they die - and as long as the language used is not abusive and lies aren't told, this should be fair game.

And no, Irish people - despite the tendency to forelock tug - shouldn't just let anti Irish prejudice (that's not the same as constructive criticism or jokey slagging) slide. Doesn't mean things like "good riddance" are ok to say though, or that his merits as a broadcaster shouldn't be acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I always thought there was an air of spoof from him so I never took the harsher things he said too personally.

For the comedy gold alone of that Barney Curley interview and his clash with Ruby on Tubridy, I sincerely hope the man has found peace now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

he was funny on celeb big brother, some moobs on him

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Barney Curley was a public schoolboy?

Well, Jesuit Boarding School, until his father couldn't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I always thought there was an air of spoof from him so I never took the harsher things he said too personally.

For the comedy gold alone of that Barney Curley interview and his clash with Ruby on Tubridy, I sincerely hope the man has found peace now.

Are these available to view online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Classic Barney

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

Have a look and see who came across as the dirtbag on that...liked McCririck...would imagine most off it was an act unlike Ruby...RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

flos1964 wrote: »
    Have a look and see who came across as the dirtbag on that...liked McCririck...would imagine most off it was an act unlike Ruby...RIP.

Ruby has contantly shown total disdain towards the "punter" in telly interviews with quotes such as, punters are nothing to me I ride for the owners and trainers, good jockey granted but a nice guy???? dunno, McCririck talked some crap but alot of sense at times and was usually entertaining, he had his place in racing tv back in the day but was he any worse than that clown Matt Chapman or any more irritating than Brian Gleeson.

I couldnt care about what was said before this statement. But this statement is wrong.
    I have been involved in racing all my life and rode in Ireland and England and know a lot of trainers and jockeys up and down both countrys and all people involved in racing and hardly any of them had any time for him as a commentator.

Some viewed him as a bit of a clown that he put across and some just plainly disliked him and his views and would try to avoid him like the plague.

That's my experience of what people think of him within racing, what's yours to say its plain wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

He was good value on TV, an outrageous arse but his colourful presentation style was good for racing viewing figures.

I used to love it when the gurning yobs would come up behind him doing rabbit ears and all sorts. John would be all flustered and shouting "behave yourselves" with a face on him like a spanked child.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

• Advertisement

Pissartist wrote: »
    he was funny on celeb big brother, some moobs on him

And the horror of those underpants! R.I.P. Big man. Condolences to the Boobie.

Advertisement