Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Lack of Balanced Coverage

Options
  • 03-07-2019 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

So watching the news tonight and there was a story about illegal immigrants but of course RTE have to use the PC term undocumented but anyway. I have noticed a trend of RTE to only report positivitely about immigration or pro immigration stories and never give balanced coverage between pro and anti immigration reports.

They also had an interview aswell at the weekend with a person working for an NGO in the Meditarnean but not no mention of anti immigration voices in Italy. Why the lack of balanced coverage as a state broadcaster RTE have a duty to report fair and balanced coverage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So watching the news tonight and there was a story about illegal immigrants but of course RTE have to use the PC term undocumented but anyway. Anyway I have noticed a trend of RTE to only report positivitely about immigration or pro immigration stories and never give balanced coverage between pro and anti immigration reports.

They also had an interview aswell at the weekend with a person working for an NGO in the Meditarnean but not no mention of anti immigration voices in Italy. Why the lack of balanced coverage as a state broadcaster RTE have a duty to report fair and balanced coverage.

RTÉ might have a duty but they never do they report what the sitting government tells them and nothing else, otherwise they are afraid the tv license money would dry up

Which other tv station would hire the shower of wasters in rTE and pay them huge money?

It’s standard in UK for bbc and UTV and sky to go after other presenters, not a single one would have any of the RTÉ bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So watching the news tonight and there was a story about illegal immigrants but of course RTE have to use the PC term undocumented but anyway. Anyway I have noticed a trend of RTE to only report positivitely about immigration or pro immigration stories and never give balanced coverage between pro and anti immigration reports.

Absolutely right. And don't get me started on TV3. I watched that program 'appropriate adult' completely biased. Only one side of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dreadfully unbalanced coverage from RTE. Hours of GAA every weekend without a mention of cycling or squash. Deplorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Whenever they show one of these collections of the migrant dingeys, they always show the view from the Port Side. They will never show from seaside with the Libyan Coast 20 miles in the background. People are duped into thinking that the "rescues" are flat bang in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. It's Fake News

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You need to run for Government Stephen. #MakeIrelandGreatAgain. Or start up InfoWars.ie.

Only you can save us with the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Whenever they show one of these collections of the migrant dingeys, they always show the view from the Port Side. They will never show from seaside with the Libyan Coast 20 miles in the background. People are duped into thinking that the "rescues" are flat bang in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. It's Fake News

It is Port and Starboard NOT Port and Seaside.
    You mean that they always show the view from Starboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does anyone really need to hear bigots in the name of balance when the Italians are arresting rescuers, refugees are being blown to bits in Libya and the United States are running camps that have pretty grim echoes of other regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No offence, but those who watch the Stazi sorry State Broadcaster or reads the biased media these days are possibly of a slightly different generation and may believe everything they read/see from on high.

Those days are numbered. I am an older codger, still all there with my cough drops, and I could not tell you the last time I either watched or listened to RTE. Ugh talk about brainwashing.

Younger people see through this I sincerely hope. Like OP.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Or start up InfoWars.ie.

From a remote oil rig in the North Sea. Or share a tinfoil shrouded basement with Dr. Watson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

While completly unrelated to anything here....afaik max you can see into distance at sea is 12KM,due to curvature of the earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Does anyone really need to hear bigots in the name of balance when the Italians are arresting rescuers, refugees are being blown to bits in Libya and the United States are running camps that have pretty grim echoes of other regimes.

The lack of nuance in the reporting leads to a simplistic understanding of what's going on. RTE's virtue signal coverage doesn't do important issues the analysis they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

RTE has no obligation to be "balanced".Seriously,check the RTE public service statement: fair,impartial and objective is mentioned in relation to news,not balanced. It will (and should) never be the case that every conceivable opinion about every conceivable issue will get a media airing.I don't want to hear what a homeopath thinks about a new cancer treatment,for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I have noticed a trend of RTE to only report positivitely about immigration or pro immigration stories and never give balanced coverage between pro and anti immigration reports.

You assume both positions hold equal merit. When you assume you make an ass of u and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf when the superstars of these "truth" movements do get screentime they generally just cause accidental comedy and do their cause more harm than good. I suppose they should get more time to show themselves up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is Port and Starboard NOT Port and Seaside.
    You mean that they always show the view from Starboard.

Depends which way the boat is facing. Port is the left if the boat. It’s not the general direction towards Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's why I have Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They've always a fierce hard on for the Democratic Party in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So watching the news tonight and there was a story about illegal immigrants but of course RTE have to use the PC term undocumented but anyway.

Only time I've ever seen the term ''undocumented'' is when referring to illegal Irish people in America. But shure look, we couldn't possibly be illegal immigrants and doesn't everyone love the Irish.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Define "balanced"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

maybe drug dealers should be called unlicensed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard a bit about this on the radio news earlier, it's about overstayers here in Ireland who want to get citizenship now.

I'm about as hard on illegal immigration at it's possible to be but the person I heard interviewed was someone who came over with her parents when she was 8 and now can't go to college because of the mess her parents landed her in through no fault of her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anyway I have noticed a trend of RTE to only report positivitely about immigration or pro immigration stories and never give balanced coverage between pro and anti immigration reports.

When's the last time anybody has seen them do a negative story on knackers either?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Because RTE supports mass immigration, feminism, the " progressive" agenda, the green agenda, travellers, and any other left wing position

They are at the vanguard of the cultural left in this country

So is the guardian newspaper in the UK but they don't demand tax payers prop them up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I mean when you're getting your news from YouTube and Facebook and treating a lunatic like Gemma O'Doherty as a credible source, then sure, maybe in that world RTE will seem 'unbalanced'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You're dead right Stephen.

RTE is completely unbalanced. During the Women's World Cup last night they showed England having more possession than the mighty USA.

Maybe if they'd shown the game from the starboard side of the pitch it would have been fairer (and we could have seen Libya).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I'm about as hard on illegal immigration at it's possible to be but the person I heard interviewed was someone who came over with her parents when she was 8 and now can't go to college because of the mess her parents landed her in through no fault of her own.

So let her sue her parents. What I couldn't understand is how she got an education here; as I assume that, as an illegal, she didn't have a PPSN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op I would say at this point there is a number of ways this thread will go.

35 - 45 % chance - unsubordinated knacker bashing ( most likely )
    25 - 30 % chance - some sort RTE is full of overpaid chunts outcry etc etc Pat Kenny is a clown, Miriam O'Callaghan is feminist fundamentalist ( who is overpaid) etc . I might actually join in on this one if it develops.
    10-15 % chance - it's all the gubberments fault that Donald Trump is a sleazebag, he spends his entire afternoon with his hand's up his assistants' skirt etc - Varadkar is not really Irish etc.
    15 % - other unforeseen garbage - quite possibly Love island or even Wimbledon, it is that time of year.

If your lucky it could go time machine development or Orange march bashing ?

It is too early to tell... in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf when the superstars of these "truth" movements do get screentime they generally just cause accidental comedy and do their cause more harm than good. I suppose they should get more time to show themselves up :pac:

I'd like Stephen15 to get some screentime. His intelligence would shine through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Op I would say at this point there is a number of ways this thread will go.

35 - 45 % chance - unsubordinated knacker bashing ( most likely )
    25 - 30 % chance - some sort RTE is full of overpaid chunts outcry etc etc

Count me in on either of those bashings please. I do enjoy being in the upper percentages. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Beasty wrote: »
    Define "balanced"

Where there is an issue reported with two sides to the story both sides are given equal coverage. I don't mind pro immigration voices being heard on RTE despite the fact I don't agree with them as long as anti immigration voices are also given the same amount of coverage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement