Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace, get well soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember how funny I thought he was as a kid in the 80s.
    Who wants to get the Fr Ted quotes out of the way? If he doesn't get better I'll put your head through a wall etc? I'm a moaning Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully he will

Roigh'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Had a great night many years ago at one of his shows. Brendan is a funny man but also is a talented singer. Its a true saying your health is your wealth. I hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Had a great night many years ago at one of his shows. Brendan is a funny man but also is a talented singer. Its a true saying your health is your wealth. I hope he gets well soon.

He started out in the showbands and used to tell a few jokes between songs, pretty soon he was doing comedy shows on his own.

A genuine old style entertainer who's had a career the likes of Ed Byrne and Andrew Maxwell etc can only dream about.
    Anyone that can get a laugh out of Sinatra is got to be doing something right.

I wish him well, sadly the cancer is the latest of a number of health problems he's had to deal with in recent years.

You're right there, he has diabetes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

One minute he could be fingerpicking My Ringsend Rose on an acoustic and the next he could be churning out loud jungle music from a ghetto blaster. A man of broad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He's about as funny as his diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jesus. That is terrible news to hear about Brendan Grace. Having been diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago; to hear he has to battle things like pneumonia & lung cancer on top of his diabetes is very tough for him as he is only one man. He has great support coming in from his family, friends & from fans who love him. I hope that he gets more help & support as he fights these illnesses. He is a very funny, generous & kind gentleman. He is in a very unlucky position to be sick in this way. I hope he gets all the support he needs when he gets treatment from his health staff, family, friends & from fans who love him. He deserves all of that in a big way.

Get well soon; Brendan.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 lipso tokko

Hoboo wrote: »

far queue, this is the Brendan Grace appreciation queue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The mother who loses her son and husband to cancer within six months of each other is just as unlucky as Brendan, as are all who diagnosed with this wretched disease. I hope he can win this battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There's no need for that.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 lipso tokko

ordered a pair of shoes online, they only arrived with one lace. when i looked at the box it said 'Taiwan'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Stay classy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Stay classy:rolleyes:

i actually think brendan would see the funny side of that remark

If you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I remember how funny I thought he was as a kid in the 80s.
    Who wants to get the Fr Ted quotes out of the way? If he doesn't get better I'll put your head through a wall etc? I'm a moaning Michael.

Hi Theo .... from our last interaction :pac:

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

What a kuntish thing to say.

I had the pleasure of seeing Brendan perform live at the Gleneagle Hotel in Killarney in 2001

branie2 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of seeing Brendan perform live at the Gleneagle Hotel in Killarney in 2001

I had the pleasure of seeing him in Fernhill House, Clonakilty in 1977.

“Roll over, Bubbles”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

met Brendan a few times in his bar in Killaloe a good few years ago, he is some craic and a sound man

wish him all the best

• Advertisement

A good decent man by all accounts, he’s battled many serious illnesses in latter years, including diabetes, strokes, amputation of a toe. Advanced lung cancer doesn’t bode too well along with his other health battles, but there is more effective treatment than heretofore for buying more time. Henry Mount Charles has been battling advanced lung cancer for some years. In times past it would have been a matter of weeks or at best months, now patients survive a few years. Very early lung cancer is potentially curable, but usually an incidental finding when being investigated for something unrelated. Hoping Brendan gets plenty of quality time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

...and lives the good life in the States with lots and lots of money.

Hope he gets better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Could be due to the many years he spent playing in pubs and clubs before the smoking ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

None of us are immune to any diagnosis at any age. Being a so called celebrity means nothing to anyone who deals with it in their own family really.

I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Dante7 wrote: »
    Could be due to the many years he spent playing in pubs and clubs before the smoking ban.

he chain smoked afair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

Free a nipper!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dante7 wrote: »
    That's what got Roy Castle.

Cancer can strike anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's what got Roy Castle.

Was that actually proven really? That was back in the day when everyone smoked.

I know he didn't smoke cigs himself, but the possibility is that many who were in smoky rooms/gigs back in the day also succumbed. Maybe they did, I don't know, no one knows. It is only the so called famous we hear about really.

I think it is genetic myself. But what do I know.

• Advertisement

Anybody remember his Maxol "Free a Nipper" ads in the 80s where he was dressed as Bottler in a green cub scout uniform? I used to regularly listen to a cassette of his, where Bubbles the cat went nuts after drinking petrol and the punchline when he collapsed after flying around the ceiling was, with one eye open, "I just ran out of petrol". Spectacularly unfunny, but hilarious delivery at the time.

Then there was the lads who robbed a double decker bus and the judge asked them, "Why did you rob a double decker bus when you could have robbed a single decker bus?" and the punchline answer was "Murphy wanted a smoke" (you could only smoke on the upper deck in the 1980s). Again, not really funny but he got the giggles -and if he didn't he'd launch into some really bad singing to cheer people up.

High standards in comedy in the 80s!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement