Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Boggles wrote: »
    Actually there is a thriving legal industry at the moment in fast tracking Visa's for Non Eu citizens to get them into the tech jobs.

Oh yes well aware.....

So if anyone son or daughter has a degree and can’t get a job I would not be blaming some poor farmer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Oh yes well aware.....

So if anyone son or daughter has a degree and can’t get a job I would not be blaming some poor farmer.....

Yer man can be described many ways but poor is certainly not one of them. :pac:

Id love to inherit a decent spread in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Stick it to 'em, Tommy !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yer man can be described many ways but poor is certainly not one of them. pacman.gif

Id love to inherit a decent spread in North Kildare.

From watching the documentary last night, it sure didn't look like he was living the life of Riley! I get why he's fúcking around with Intel at this point considering what was done to him but he is kinda risking future jobs at this point not to mention life is to short. I do think a formal investigation needs to be done to see if any brown envelops or other dodgy shít went on between Intel and the IDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He strikes me as an unfortunate backward farmer who is against anything progressive or indeed any form of change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like the suits though they could flash the cash at a man they assumed was a bit harmless and make an easy sale.

There's an oul batchelor farmer like him in most areas, they are set in their ways and just want to be left alone to work their bit of land and look after their animals.

He seems to like his 80s music though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Indeed.
    We moved on.
    He stayed put.
    Whose tragedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I was most surprised by his taste in music, I didnt expect it... he bolted to the radio like a kid on christmas morning...

I was in stitches when the tune started, good choice too ha

Oh we're not gonna take it
    No, we ain't gonna take it
    Oh we're not gonna take it anymore…

Era fair play to him.

I have no problem with him not selling. It's his land. However objecting to intels plans is just being a bo11ix.

It's grand for him with land worth a load of money he did nothing to earn and no family to support or mortgage to pay. Selfish bastard.

I'm from a rural area and there are plenty of similar thick farmers where I grew up. Many wouldn't take grants because they would have to pay taxes on them.

Plenty of work now in Ireland but things can change very quickly. I remember near 20% unemployment back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gael23 wrote: »
    He strikes me as an unfortunate backward farmer who is against anything progressive or indeed any form of change.

Or a guy that was just minding his own business who a state body tried to rob..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I have no problem with him not selling. It's his land. However objecting to intels plans is just being a bo11ix.

It's grand for him with land worth a load of money he did nothing to earn and no family to support or mortgage to pay. Selfish bastard.

I'm from a rural area and there are plenty of similar thick farmers where I grew up. Many wouldn't take grants because they would have to pay taxes on them.

Plenty of work now in Ireland but things can change very quickly. I remember near 20% unemployment back in the 80s.

He isn't holding anyone responsible for his own lifestyle choices but some people seem to be holding him responsible for theirs. When others are cuddled up with their families every night, he is alone. Different strokes for different folks but each must own their own choices. He seems content with his choices & is not responsible for anyone's mortgage or family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People are born into or inherit farms. Just because the farm is worth a heap of money it doesn't follow heaps can be made working it. Asset rich, cash poor.

Not many start from scratch by buying a farm, unless they're completely loaded.

Unemployment or employment isn't his problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Venom wrote: »
    From watching the documentary last night, it sure didn't look like he was living the life of Riley! I get why he's fúcking around with Intel at this point considering what was done to him but he is kinda risking future jobs at this point not to mention life is to short. I do think a formal investigation needs to be done to see if any brown envelops or other dodgy shít went on between Intel and the IDA.

There's more to life than jobs and investment. You know maybe just maybe the man has something a lot of people in this boom and the celtic tiger years have forgotten and that's integrity.

If intel hadn't of acted the boll*x with him and have had made an offer i don't know to build a school for kids with special needs or a swimming pool or some such for the community he might have viewed things differently but they didn't along with the IDA they acted billy big boll*x and now they are where they are.

To some people still there's more to life than money thankfully,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been lynched out of the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gael23 wrote:

Do you know what lynched means? As I have seen on this thread people purport to know him and claim he is liked in the area. Do you think someone should be hung in the name of progress?

Sounds like you suffer from a common illness in Ireland....begrudgery

The 80s is over 30 years ago and no relevance

Why would he be? Has anyone asked the people in the area?

Any opinion polls to say he is hated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

People are born into or inherit farms. Just because the farm is worth a heap of money it doesn't follow heaps can be made working it. Asset rich, cash poor.

Not many start from scratch by buying a farm, unless they're completely loaded.

Unemployment or employment isn't his problem.

Everyone has a stake in the success of the country. No man is an island and it would be near impossible to survive without the collective support of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

satguy wrote: »
    How many new jobs is this man holding up ?
    How much Tax would 4 or 5 hundred workers pay ?
    How many of our graduate sons and daughters would love to work there ?
    How can guys like him and the ones that held up the apple data center sleep at night ?

Can I Take back the Last line of my post I made earlier today. (only the last line)

I watched him on RTE tonight, and now feel it would unfair to lump him in with the wasters that cost Athenry to lose out on an €850 million data centre for Apple.

But am very happy to let the first 3 line of my earlier post stand.

There's more to life than jobs and investment. You know maybe just maybe the man has something a lot of people in this boom and the celtic tiger years have forgotten and that's integrity.

If intel hadn't of acted the boll*x with him and have had made an offer i don't know to build a school for kids with special needs or a swimming pool or some such for the community he might have viewed things differently but they didn't along with the IDA they acted billy big boll*x and now they are where they are.

To some people still there's more to life than money thankfully,

More to life than jobs or investment when you are secure.

However when your job depends on your employee being able to not just stay at the forefront of technology but also be allowed to develop facilities for producing it, your situation is more precarious. If Intel pull the plug, I'd dare your to stand at the gate and tell to the employees that. I'd say that would go down well.

Incidentally, I see EotR had thanked your post. Sure if there's more to life than work, I'm sure he won't be banging the drum for whatever group of unions are out on the pickets as he usually is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

:confused:

There was recently a high profile murder case in the area. Them two bastards certainly deserved to be lynched.

However a farmer minding his own business out to protect his lands and way of life against corporate interests does not deserve a lynching.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would he be? Has anyone asked the people in the area?

Any opinion polls to say he is hated?

I don't think ipsos mrbi do local polls to see who is and isn't hated in a community.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    :confused:

There was recently a high profile murder case in the area. Them two bastards certainly deserved to be lynched.

However a farmer minding his own business out to protect his lands and way of life against corporate interests does not deserve a lynching.
    Hold on now. His lands are protected and his property rights have been vindicated in the court. The case is closed and no one is trying to get him of his farm. The objection related to a development that is not on his property, nor next to his property.

A decision is due from ABP on 16 October.

If being robbed is being offered 10 million for land worth a fraction of that then please rob me.

The only begrudgers on here are the ones who begrudge Intel workers a job. The likes of him are the biggest begrudgers out there.

And the policies we are pursuing in this country pumping money into the non productive sector while punishing the hard working small people is leading us into a disaster.

This Mercosur deal will soften the cough of the likes of him. I could take the attitude too of fcuk the farmers - I don't work in the sector - but I'm not so thick that I can't see it will hurt the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

More to life than jobs or investment when you are secure.

However when your job depends on your employee being able to not just stay at the forefront of technology but also be allowed to develop facilities for producing it, your situation is more precarious. If Intel pull the plug, I'd dare your to stand at the gate and tell to the employees that. I'd say that would go down well.

Incidentally, I see EotR had thanked your post. Sure if there's more to life than work, I'm sure he won't be banging the drum for whatever group of unions are out on the pickets as he usually is.

i will always show solidarity and support to workers who are left with no option but to withdraw their labour.
    the poster's point was that there is more to life then a situation where we ride ruffshot over the rights of the citizen in the creation of jobs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Fair enough, I'll admit I'm no scour expert. I just didn't think it fair to say the animals shown in the documentary were badly neglected. Did you think it odd when he covered the rabbit alluding to it being poisoned?

I didn't read too much into it at the time but now that you made me think about it more I suppose he was insinuating a conspiracy theory that the IDA/ Intel were poisoning the place.

What was your own take on it?

Hold on now. His lands are protected and his property rights have been vindicated in the court. The case is closed and no one is trying to get him of his farm.

How do you know that?

I'll give you a clue, you don't so stop stating it as a fact, it's very annoying.

Legislation was changed on the back of this case to give the IDA more powers to acquire land, if it went to court again under the new laws he would probably lose his farm.

Nobody knows what will happen in 5,10,15 years time.

Thomas Reid believes they will come again, and as the only person in this saga that has shown complete honesty and integrity I believe him.

Unless you have evidence to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What a bizzare docu-drama..never seen its like before.

Initially i thought it was an actor playing the part of TR but all the time it was actually him?

surely he's leaving himself open for ridicule in the way he was portrayed as a hermit farmer..not to mention robbery, very vulnerable.

fryup wrote: »
    surely he's leaving himself open for ridicule in the way he was portrayed as a hermit farmer..not to mention robbery, very vulnerable.

He just spent 6-7 years dealing with an attempted robbery.

I'd say he will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't think ipsos mrbi do local polls to see who is and isn't hated in a community.

Locally he is not disliked, most people would have supported his original case against CPO. However, the recent objection to the revised plans that do not include his land have soured that a bit.

Advertisement