Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Racing will also have virtually the same lineup as last season. The only signing of note was Trinh-Duc who will only be a backup to Russell.

Munster's lineup won't change either of course but the addition of those assistant coaches is massive.

Ospreys are an interesting prospect. They finished the season well after an absolutely dire start. They have upgraded at 10 with Gareth Anscombe replacing Sam Davies.

Saracens have little changes as well but Elliot Daly is a quality signing who adds a long range kicking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Racing is probably the most enigmatic team in Europe Right now. When they win, they win in style. But they don't when they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Racing will also have virtually the same lineup as last season. The only signing of note was Trinh-Duc who will only be a backup to Russell.

Munster's lineup won't change either of course but the addition of those assistant coaches is massive.

Ospreys are an interesting prospect. They finished the season well after an absolutely dire start. They have upgraded at 10 with Gareth Anscombe replacing Sam Davies.

Saracens have little changes as well but Elliot Daly is a quality signing who adds a long range kicking option.
    Interesting to see what happens with Daly and where he plays. There's really only a gap for him at center.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

razorblunt wrote: »
    Interesting to see what happens with Daly and where he plays. There's really only a gap for him at center.

He's a fair bit better than Maitland, and Strettle has retired. I'd say he'll start on the wing along with Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Would have been good to see La Rochelle in there instead of Racing for a bit of variety and for the ROG factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Leinster fan here. Just saw pools
    zGHQb4O.gif?2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

errlloyd wrote: »
    Racing is probably the most enigmatic team in Europe Right now. When they win, they win in style. But they don't when they need to.

They're seriously flaky and have gone backwards since they made the final. Not that worried about them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They're seriously flaky and have gone backwards since they made the final. Not that worried about them tbh.

Think if we got 2 wins against them we'd be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Munster Team Talk Thread VII - Larkham Asylum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think if we got 2 wins against them we'd be doing very well.

They would have to improve dramatically to beat Munster. I think Munster should beat them twice.

You will be surprised when you see what them have to to Zeeeebs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Munster Team Talk Thread VII - Larkham Asylum

Winner winner chicken dinner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What a terrible/wonderful draw, I don't know if I'd like to limp to another semi final or know where we are early on in the campaign. Being a world cup year there is an extra level of doubt, we'll be missing a few players due to injury and hopefully the players will only be just back fro Japan, but that's for all clubs it's about who manages it the best hopefully a few of the lads who are left at home will shine through and earn themselves a place.

They would have to improve dramatically to beat Munster. I think Munster should beat them twice.

You will be surprised when you see what them have to to Zeeeebs.

Wasn't he one of the top try scorers in Top 14 this season? And named on team of the year? Point was about team as a whole who I think are no walk in park

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭phog

One of our key coaches won't be with us until after W/Cup pool games - he'll have no pre-season with the squad and won't meet the lads that go to the W/Cup until after their holiday post world cup.

The Pool is a pool of death and a baptism of fire but repeating what I have always said we need to win our home games. I'd be hoping for Saracens first up in Thomond then away to Opsreys, play at home first in the back to back games v Racing.

Whatever happens I can't see us get a home QF so it's going to tough to progress even if we get out of the pool but in a way that takes pressure of the new coaches as most people will have lowered their expectations for the season after seeing that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Munster have a chance if Conor Murray returns to form and gets serious minutes with a healthy Joey Carbery.

Munster are there or there abouts in every single aspect except for their attack. Getting your half back pairing in flying form will go a long way to solving that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Wasn't he one of the top try scorers in Top 14 this season? And named on team of the year? Point was about team as a whole who I think are no walk in park

The came 4th, 24 points behind Toulouse. I think he had an OK first half of the season when his condition and fitness from Munster was still evident. Any games I saw him in the latter half of the season he looked to be struggling for fitness. He also looked out of condition or as they say in Dublin he is a fat BaSSSStaarddd.

The came 4th, 24 points behind Toulouse. I think he had an OK first half of the season when his condition and fitness from Munster was still evident. Any games I saw him in the latter half of the season he looked to be struggling for fitness. He also looked out of condition or as they say in Dublin he is a fat BaSSSStaarddd.

Yeah. He scored 16 tries in 26 games. It's not THAT impressive for his position.

He also missed a third of his tackles.

troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah. He scored 16 tries in 26 games. It's not THAT impressive for his position.

It's a pretty decent return I think. I hadn't seen stat on his missed tackles, where did you see that out of curiosity?

It's a pretty decent return I think. I hadn't seen stat on his missed tackles, where did you see that out of curiosity?

It's a decent return but not so incredible that you'd be afraid of him.

Stats from ultimate rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's excellent for any position. It was 16 tries in 23 starts and 3 sub appearances.

You'd be hard pushed to find a player with a better tries to minutes ratio in Europe this season....possibly Jonny May taking into account his test season.

I'd fully agree that his actual overall performances were far from special and if Racing didn't sparkle, he tended to be more conspicuous by his anonymity than his highlights. But his ability to get on the end of scoring opportunities cannot be dumbed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

While Earls is overall a better player, Zebo had a real knack for scoring tries. I'm sure he'll get a great reception in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Munster have a chance if Conor Murray returns to form and gets serious minutes with a healthy Joey Carbery.

Munster are there or there abouts in every single aspect except for their attack. Getting your half back pairing in flying form will go a long way to solving that.

I think the problem is that Munster can beat saracens or Racing 92 on their day but having 4 high intensity matches is going to be incredibly tough.

In a direct comparison we are still weaker in the forwards and will rely on our frontline players to be fit

randomrb wrote: »

I think the problem is that Munster can beat saracens or Racing 92 on their day but having 4 high intensity matches is going to be incredibly tough.

In a direct comparison we are still weaker in the forwards and will rely on our frontline players to be fit

Realistically Munster have very little chance of winning the group.

They're aiming for second and praying for a gentle quarter final draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Saracens will have bulk of squad at WC. A couple of injuries and they could be in trouble. They do have a big squad but they have a couple of key players, who are going to be key players at WC as well.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

randomrb wrote: »

Four high intensity matches over the course of 10 weeks. It's not like they'll play Saracens and Racing over 4 consecutive weekends.

Realistically Munster are fighting with Racing for one of the three best runners up spots, but with new more experienced (and probably better) coaches, I wouldn't use past performances as any indication of what's possible next season (Although I will admit that with the world cup disruption, it may be 2020/21 before we get a good run on Europe).

Four high intensity matches over the course of 10 weeks. It's not like they'll play Saracens and Racing over 4 consecutive weekends.

Realistically Munster are fighting with Racing for one of the three best runners up spots, but with new more experienced (and probably better) coaches, I wouldn't use past performances as any indication of what's possible next season (Although I will admit that with the world cup disruption, it may be 2020/21 before we get a good run on Europe).

Depends on what fixture schedule is like too so very early days yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I see Munster jersey’s are half price in Lifestyle, assume that’s last years jersey? Are Munsters new Jersey’s as bad as Leinsters or have they been released yet?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

stephen_n wrote: »
    I see Munster jersey’s are half price in Lifestyle, assume that’s last years jersey? Are Munsters new Jersey’s as bad as Leinsters or have they been released yet?

They're almost identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Having watched Top 14 highlights every week, I'd say that about half of those tries were run-ins when he accepted a pass within 5 metres of the try line and sauntered over.

Agree about his poor tackling stats - at times his attempts were so inept that they were close to farcical.

• Advertisement

Having watched Top 14 highlights every week, I'd say that about half of those tries were run-ins when he accepted a pass within 5 metres of the try line and sauntered over.

Does that not mean he's a good finisher? Why not so somebody else? If he can be in that position and score, then it counts same as any other try

Advertisement