Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers 'could be given licences to grow cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You've disproved your own argument.

You missed the opening line, "In the United Kingdom, outdoor-grown crops have achieved similar yields and THC levels to those grown indoors"

It's not crap, there's already businesses gearing up for it.

You can 100% get medicinal effects on outdoor cannabis grown here.

Farmers will definitely have an opportunity here. If a farmer grows 10 acres in one summer that's the equivalent of a 72600 square feet indoor unit producing 6 times a year. Go try and rent, kit out and power an indoor facility that size.
    Outdoors is the way to go from a cost perspective there's no comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why would you pick the wettest, windiest an sometimes coldest country in Europe to grow a plant that is suited to southern France, Spain, Portugal ect? It makes no sense.

Its already decriminalised in Spain and Portugal. Not a hope farmers start growing weed in fields here. Ever.

Why don't you ask some strawberry growers, maybe they'll say because we live here.
    Are you seriously saying no farmer can grow a plant here in summer, using seeds specifically made for our climate.

Let's say 1000 plants per acre, you plant 10 acres of early skunk auto, that's 10000 plants yielding a minimum of 400 grammes per plant, latest survey has the cost of €19 per gramme in Ireland.
    That's a retail value of €76 million for your 10 acers. I'm sure some farmers will give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

using seeds specifically made for our climate.

yielding a minimum of 400 grammes per plant

These wonderful seeds / strains you keep coming back to, unfortunately they don't exist. Like magic beans.
    You keep repeating the same thing even though its nonsense.
    As for 14oz a plant, more nonsense.

If you manage to get the seed to take outside
    If the average Irish temp doesn't shock or kill it
    If our usual rainfall doesn't shock or kill it and /or cause mould.
    If you could find a balance between shelter and access to light.
    If there is enough sun / heat to get it to flower.

Congratulations you now have a plant of crap because we live in Ireland not Thailand.

I don't even think you believe it yourself tbh.
    I'm done with this.

Yep I'd be very interested to know the name of this magical strain that will produce 14oz of high quality bud, out door on Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't even know what we're arguing about here. Me personally I'd love to see it legalised and see Irish farmers producing tons of fantastic weed. I jut happen to know its nonsense. But good luck to whoever thinks otherwise. Off you go planting your cold weather seeds, knock yourself out, see how you get on.

This famer had manged to get 600 acers of hemp growing here in the last 4 years. Looks like a booming business with the price of CBD increasing.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/tillage/budding-business-meet-the-founding-member-of-irelands-leading-hemp-business-37805404.html

I'm still fully of the opinion that Cannabis will grow outside here on an industrial scale once allowed.
    Hemp doesn't require as much care but it does take longer to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I have some seeds that I bought over ten years ago. Would they still be ok do you think? I'm thinking of planting them in the flower garden and see what happens.

Should be, just put them on the kitchen window or something to get them started. Just checked my hops they haven't broken ground yet so a little early for outside. Maybe after Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Why don't you ask some strawberry growers, maybe they'll say because we live here.
    Are you seriously saying no farmer can grow a plant here in summer, using seeds specifically made for our climate.

Let's say 1000 plants per acre, you plant 10 acres of early skunk auto, that's 10000 plants yielding a minimum of 400 grammes per plant, latest survey has the cost of €19 per gramme in Ireland.
    That's a retail value of €76 million for your 10 acers. I'm sure some farmers will give it a lash.

14 ounces? Outdoors? In Ireland? Right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Yeah it's a load of nonsense alright, this has to be one of the funniest / weirdest threads I've seen in farming...

Mainline it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Before you go planning/spending money on glasshouses :

At Berkeley they had a little chat with brewers yeast and persuaded it to make THC and CDB

Some insulin is manufactured the same way for years so it probably won't take long

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/02/27/yeast-produce-low-cost-high-quality-cannabinoids/

Feeding only on sugar, the yeast are an easy and cheap way to produce pure cannabinoids that today are costly to extract from the buds of the marijuana plant, Cannabis sativa.

“For the consumer, the benefits are high-quality, low-cost CBD and THC: you get exactly what you want from yeast,” said Jay Keasling, a UC Berkeley professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering and of bioengineering and a faculty scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “It is a safer, more environmentally friendly way to produce cannabinoids.”

Like there doing with the impossible burger growing the Heme in yeast. Not good for people or the environment by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irishdude30

Hi Iv heard that you can get medical cannabis in Barcelona (Cbd oil + Thc) how to get this in Barcelona does anyone know ?

Hi Iv heard that you can get medical cannabis in Barcelona (Cbd oil + Thc) how to get this in Barcelona does anyone know ?

Just go into one or the cannabis club's, loads of them in Barcelona, it's fully legal as long as your a member.
    Spannabis is on at the moment you should go if you've no plans for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irishdude30

iv seen this alrite when I typed it in on google (cannabis clubs) and how exactly does it work , Iv a family member with bad anxietys and pannick attacks . And need to try something different, he is on the cbd oil but not affective . Do they assess you when you go into one of these clubs , is it in oil forms ? And how much THC percentage is in it ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:
    Irishdude30, this really isn't the right forum to answer your question and your query is off-topic. Try one of the other forums.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

emaherx wrote: »
    Or do we hire armed gaurds too?

On the other hand if they are trespassing and causing damage to the crop, they are classed as vermin and you can shoot the nasty scrotes. I say open season on them and allow us have army surplus 7.62 rifles.... and Release the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?. that will show em!!

525.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hemp would certainly be possible as a cash crop in our damp cool temperate oceanic climate and I’m sure a couple of farmers may give it a go on a trial basis.

But full flower cannabis plants? Nope.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is this not the house that Dolores McNamara, the big eurolotto winner, bought?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/grow-house-with-drugs-worth-900k-found-in-mansion-in-clare-38168044.html

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is this not the house that Dolores McNamara, the big eurolotto winner, bought?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/grow-house-with-drugs-worth-900k-found-in-mansion-in-clare-38168044.html

From Google.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3613984/son-euromillions-winners-splashes-hotel/

Edit: You would have to wonder is it anything to do with the crackdown on local gardai and the appointment of a commissioner to sort out the limerick situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm going to look into getting a licence for some hemp growing for next year. Already have a processor sorted, going to go and pay them a visit tomorrow to learn a bit more about it.

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm going to look into getting a licence for some hemp growing for next year. Already have a processor sorted, going to go and pay them a visit tomorrow to learn a bit more about it.

This fella was on rte radio's Countrywide a few weeks back talking about hemp growing.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hemp-ireland-association-co-op-3-3893119-Mar2018/

Since the licences were granted recently, the story has been doing the rounds on farming websites. I'd say a lot would be looking into growing an acre or so to start off with and see how goes from there. That's my plan anyway, think it is a fledgling industry alright and while this thread may have gone a bit off topic, it's created some awareness of the serious potential sowing a few acres could have.

There's also no need to spray this crop, now if a decent no till system could be adopted for it all the better!

endainoz wrote: »
    Since the licences were granted recently, the story has been doing the rounds on farming websites. I'd say a lot would be looking into growing an acre or so to start off with and see how goes from there. That's my plan anyway, think it is a fledgling industry alright and while this thread may have gone a bit off topic, it's created some awareness of the serious potential sowing a few acres could have.

There's also no need to spray this crop, now if a decent no till system could be adopted for it all the better!

The big winners at the start will be the seed growers.
    Depends after that on the processing side and margin left. Any special machinery needed for harvest?

It's a pity for growers it's not a perennial plant.

The big winners at the start will be the seed growers. Depends after that on the processing side and margin left. Any special machinery needed for harvest?

It's a pity for growers it's not a perennial plant.

A regular harvester is good enough to harvest it. That agriland weekly web show thing had a piece on it. I know some people harvest by hand too on a smaller scale. The guys I'm talking to will buy it an process it themselves. Still need to check over numbers but there should be a decent margin on it. A better one than raising beef cattle on the same piece of ground anyways.

Should you be looking at growing the real thing now under licence. The Government needs it and it's starting importing it. Convert an idle shed and get a 24/7/365 business going. It's probably legal to export already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Should you be looking at growing the real thing now under licence. The Government needs it and it's starting importing it. Convert an idle shed and get a 24/7/365 business going. It's probably legal to export already.

Cowsheds dude. Cowsheds...

Advertisement