Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning 1/4 acre into a wild garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

macraignil wrote: »
    Grass is said to do better than wild flowers when nutrients are high so make sure not to add any fertiliser. You could mow it and remove the clipping to help reduce the level of nutrients but if it is too rough for this maybe getting it grazed by sheep again might help set the grass back a bit and allow more opportunity for other plants get established when they are gone.

There is a website dedicated to information on helping pollinators and their list of trees good for the purpose can be found in this link.

Trees that are deciduous are available cheaper bare root when they are dormant between Autumn and Spring and so you could start then and complete the planting more cheaply. Here is a link to a nursery price list to give an example of what could be available. There is a list on the second last page of trees available as whips which means they are still small and so can generally be planted without supports and because they develop more naturally can often out grow bigger more expensive trees that you might also consider and so prove a better option.

The flowers that are best for pollinators include buddleia and nepeta and it is an idea to plant things to cover having flowers throughout the year. I made a playlist of flowers in my own garden for each month of the year.

One other thing that might be a factor if you are going to be planting trees is that hares may try to eat the bark so you may want to put something around the tree trunks if they are around your area. I found spare sections of drainage pipe worked fine to protect young trees while they are getting established and they can be removed once the trees get bigger. Not sure if these are a problem in your area. Sounds like a great idea and do post some pictures of how it goes and any other questions that pop up.

Good luck!
    Cut a split in the pipe first to ease removal when required.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd recommend planning this out with an aim to plant this autumn. Decide carefully what you want where and realise it will take a couple of seasons to get it where you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You could become a hero of our ecosystem by making this area as bee friendly as possible.
    Let it grow wild, let nettles, dandelions, hedgegrow, etc grow wild.
    The bees love all this stuff.

I can attest to that. The field here is sheer wilderness, a glory of wild flowers, brambles, nettles and bees love it

Just spent half an hour pulling tall nettles in the back patch where I need to grow but the field is a sight to behold now

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Graces7 wrote: »
    I can attest to that. The field here is sheer wilderness, a glory of wild flowers, brambles, nettles and bees love it

Just spent half an hour pulling tall nettles in the back patch where I need to grow but the field is a sight to behold now

Stick up a few photos!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Stick up a few photos!

OK! I finally have a camera so watch this space... ;)

• Advertisement

OK! I finally have a camera so watch this space... ;)

OK; here there is a neglected field alongside. Place was empty years and the neighbours grazed cattle there but this is my second summer here and the reeds etc are taking over.
    This is one entrance to the field 5 am ..

A patch of fearsome marsh thistles in a reedy corner.NB these two photos were in a self-established area.

The wide driveway is more what a newly established wild patch would be like

Rampant clover and at this season grasses taking over.

and one of our very old wild fuschias, without which no wild or tame garden should be without. Beloved of bees who take it over...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

wildflower garden, now in 3rd year at 5.30 this morning, this is the first year with any showing of flowers, slowly getting there.
    [IMG][/img]6ibdhz.jpg
    [IMG][/img]280l3jp.jpg

Truly lovely sdp

Omitted this image y'day as I was trying to edit out what seems to be a scrap of paper!

and so many of these, just dying back now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Beautiful Grace7

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mobfromcork/media/IMG_20190611_181026_zpsx8unpdp6.jpg.html

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mobfromcork/media/IMG_20190611_180746_zpskdzysudv.jpg.html

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mobfromcork/media/IMG_20190611_181026_zpsx8unpdp6.jpg.html

This popped up over the last few weeks. It's absolutely covered in bees most evenings. Thanks to Plantnet App I now know it's called Buí Mór in Irish or dyer Rocket/weld.

Lovely seeing all the wilderness in the gardens above.

Of course many here are making wildflower gardens whereas I am revelling in places gone back to nature..

So many folk have said, oh get some chemical to burn off the drive, tarmac it.. heresy! They see a mess: I see wild flowers.

Maybe the back patch where I am growing a few veg and literally making hay now can have wild flower seeds later... the hay will cover the potatoes next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just noticed someone who lives close to me has a section of their garden set up as a wild one.

They have manicured lawns etc as usual. Then a section behind a hedge in a corner that's wild.

Took a couple of photos this morning

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEryaNh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That looks massive job

Finding rare wild plants in our lanes here that I can get seed from for here.. will be out early tomorrow and take photos... And my drive is an utter picture now,, I was out all day y'day in the sun revelling in the wildness of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have just under a qtr acre planted with a perennial bee flower mix, g it from fruithill farm, only an inch high but hopefully about to take off.

Planting meadow sage and lavender cuttings around the edges.

Finding rare wild plants in our lanes here that I can get seed from for here.. will be out early tomorrow and take photos... And my drive is an utter picture now,, I was out all day y'day in the sun revelling in the wildness of it

Outing postponed due to deluges and too dark for decent photos... :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even a friend who has zero interest in gardening, and not much more than that in nature, was remarking that it's lovely to see more wildflowers around in unmown verges and the like. it does seem to be in the past six months or year that there has been a visible piqueing of interest in the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

even a friend who has zero interest in gardening, and not much more than that in nature, was remarking that it's lovely to see more wildflowers around in unmown verges and the like. it does seem to be in the past six months or year that there has been a visible piqueing of interest in the topic.

Over the past couple of years the areas left to nature have grown and the result is quite amazing. Flower filled verges and laneways are now common around where we live, while a few years back they would all have been mown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep I mentioned somewhere (!) that Waterford Council seems to have a no spray and reduced mowing policy this year along the ring road - the grass verge outside GrowHQ has been left entirely. I'm guessing Micheal Kelly had a word with them to leave it. I'll post a picture next time I'm over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

https://www.beebombsireland.com/shop-1

I found this a nice easy resource for someone like me who hasntva clue about gardening. A nice way to get the kids involved too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yep I mentioned somewhere (!) that Waterford Council seems to have a no spray and reduced mowing policy this year along the ring road - the grass verge outside GrowHQ has been left entirely. I'm guessing Micheal Kelly had a word with them to leave it. I'll post a picture next time I'm over there.

Same here. Yet the local newshound seems to have missed the point

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/uncut-grass-on-key-routes-around-dundalk-has-town-looking-unsightly/.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Driving home yesterday evening and was saddened to see Wicklow county council out cutting the central median of the N11. Can't see why, if anything the longer grass would make it a safer drive at night as it would block the blinding lights from oncoming traffic.
    Meanwhile, kudos to Wexford county council for the mass of ox-eye daisies on the Clough roundabout! Looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do you start an area like this on an existing grass area?

Do you have to get rid of the grass completely?

NIMAN wrote: »

Interesting question.. Depends on the grass? My back patch was sheer grass last year when it had been grazed but this year all kinds of wild flowers are up and glorious. But we are surrunded with them.. maybe just scattering seeds of flowers will work? It has done here . They are superbly hardy and vigorous our wild flowers. Let the grass grow and add wild seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

NIMAN wrote: »

One recommendation I had was the following.

Spray the area at the end of summer. When everything has died off you plough the soil.
    Wait til the start of spring, spray again.
    Plant at the end of spring.

Might go against the spirit of the thread to be lashing round up about but apparently you'll get good results.

I wonder would covering everything for a month do, then plough, then cover again in spring and plant after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it were me; let the grass grow long, cut it and remove it. this helps reduce the fertility of the soil, which is important in creating a meadow.
    you can get meadow seed mixes, and if you do get one, keep an eye out for yellow rattle in the mix, which is partially parasitic on grass roots so helps reduce the vigor of the grass.

i can see in some 'managed' lawns near me where they pay people to mow the lawns and take the clippings away, but obviously nothing else is done, so the soil is probably exhausted. one being our next door neighbour; the lawn is maybe 10 or 20% grass by now, but if it's left unmown for a week or two, is a riot of cats ears flowers. there's a similar story with other neighbours and various other flowers around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Have my own conversion project going too.

Had chickens, got rid of them (became too much work ... thats anoth story). So let their area go wild. Wanted a wildflower / meadow for bees, nature and not another lawn to cut! I didn't do anything to the plot, but the birds had it worn back to bare earth.

This is what it looked like first summer after chickens .....

39wUkUP.jpg
    Lots of uneaten seeds have grown. You cant see but there are some wild cabbage, poppy and wheat. Most eye catching is sunflowers and clover.

This is what it looks like today...
    OnDGGPU.jpg
    No sign of sunflowers, but hopefully they will appear later. I have strategically planted plugs of various sorts (yellow rattle, bergamot, gooseberry shrub, etc) and they are still there, but cant be seen in pic. .... Just giant daisy... Dont know where they came from! Still lots of clover in there. Bees love that. Great to hear buzz whenever I go in there.

• Advertisement

The ditches by the lanes here are a glory of Royal Fern .. we were to the shore early today down a boreen rarely used now and the whole lane is lined with them.. Planning to propagate them which looks easy enough and line the drive and pathways..

They have a fascinating history and medical uses

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/...n,%20Royal

Advertisement