Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

nee wrote: »
    Anyone have any leads on aplastic free bidon? That's not metal. I can't seem to find a plastic free sports bottle, or one you don't have to open with both hands, or metal. I really thought there'd be something out there already!

Well...that's a fairly specific set of requirements! What's wrong with metal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

daragh_ wrote: »

Excellent, thank you.

Well...that's a fairly specific set of requirements! What's wrong with metal?

I've had bottles bounce out at races, I don't want anything going bang against my frame, myself or anything else! At least with bamboo or plastic they deform. I had my metal one fly out of my bag on dame street once, I was luckily on my steel bike but it bounced off my seatstay, no damage done, but rolled out in front of traffic. Less secure an outcome with carbon or alu.

Bottles rarely go flying, but when they do they're proper missiles. Ramps in races is where it's happened to me before. Don't want a metal bottle flying around a bunch!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I thought elite did biodegradeable ones now. The madison genesis ones a load of us bought were apparently biodegradeable.

Also, on metal falling when on a bike. My ZojiRushi flask (highly recommended for coffee drinkers) fell out once and it made an almight clatter that startled me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    I thought elite did biodegradeable ones now. The madison genesis ones a load of us bought were apparently biodegradeable.

Also, on metal falling when on a bike. My ZojiRushi flask (highly recommended for coffee drinkers) fell out once and it made an almight clatter that startled me.

Yeah. I kind of don't want any plastic at all, biodegradable or not. Biodegradability is a bit of a contentious one, most are only biodegradable in very specific industrial conditions.

One of the plastic free bottles will be going on a plastic bike, bit of an own goal really :o I did buy it second hand in my paltry defence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Biodegradability is a bit of a contentious one, most are only biodegradable in very specific industrial conditions.
    yeah, my wife bought compostable coffee pods last year. they may be compostable, but the guts of a year in our compost bin - where everything else composted - made no visible difference to these pods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Having a bit of a daily struggle carrying cable lock on the bike. Tried wrapping around seatpost, intertwined with u lock and top tube etc., but always seems to unravel. Any idiot-proof methods suggested?

If you're just using it to secure a wheel or saddle (I assume you're not using it to secure the bike itself), you could get a Hiplok z-lok combo instead. They're not very secure either, but they're light and they're easier to carry. I thread mine through the rails of a Brooks saddle at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Having a bit of a daily struggle carrying cable lock on the bike...
    If it's a daily struggle I'm presuming you are travelling to the same place. Would leaving the lock where you lock the bike be an option? (And buy a second for home or wherever if you have to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

yeah, my wife bought compostable coffee pods last year. they may be compostable, but the guts of a year in our compost bin - where everything else composted - made no visible difference to these pods.

Compostable often means industrial composting which is done at elevated temperatures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's what we presume, but it's a bit of a swizz to claim they're compostable without that disclaimer.

has anyone heard anything about this?
    seems an odd way to steal bikes, creating lots of witness testimony.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1142017374733910016

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So, what's the crack with them then. Does it mean if you chuck them in your brown bin they will be industrially composted?

I'd agree there's an element of false advertising there. If I read something as compostable, I'd assume I'd be able to do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

has anyone heard anything about this?
    seems an odd way to steal bikes, creating lots of witness testimony.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1142017374733910016

White Ford Transits are usually the vehicle of choice within a certain group who don't give a single ****e about about witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Builders?

So, what's the crack with them then. Does it mean if you chuck them in your brown bin they will be industrially composted?

I'd agree there's an element of false advertising there. If I read something as compostable, I'd assume I'd be able to do it myself.
    I'd have assumed it could go in the brown bin - not that it was compostable by me.

'100% compostable' but mentions putting them in your brown bin:
    https://www.bewleys.com/ie/bewleys-launches-a-range-of-100-compostable-coffee-capsules/

obviously, some people will read '100% compostable' as being 'very compostable' when it almost certainly means '100% of the product is compostable'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Official Nespresso pods are recyclable, and they will give you a bag to put them in and post back via Parcel Motel every order or you can drop them into the shop. The price between them and the cheap brands is not as much as people would have you believe, and considering they have not blended alu and plastic, the few times I use them nowadays I try and convince myself its slightly less worse for the planet than the cheap ones.

Can someone tell me have I just bought into a marketing ploy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Official Nespresso pods are recyclable, and they will give you a bag to put them in and post back via Parcel Motel every order or you can drop them into the shop. The price between them and the cheap brands is not as much as people would have you believe, and considering they have not blended alu and plastic, the few times I use them nowadays I try and convince myself its slightly less worse for the planet than the cheap ones.

Can someone tell me have I just bought into a marketing ploy?

You can buy a reusable alu pod online, then buy your coffee of choice in a bag. Much less waste and cheaper

my favoured option is the aeropress.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Plastik wrote: »
    Builders?

Politicians? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ED E wrote: »

You need hot water too.

CramCycle wrote: »
    ....Can someone tell me have I just bought into a marketing ploy?
    Yes - just buy a jar of Nescafe/Maxwell House etc. like the rest of use an save all that hassle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yes - just buy a jar of Nescafe/Maxwell House etc. like the rest of use an save all that hassle. :D

I'd rather drink muddy water than that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Raam wrote: »
    You need hot water too.

Ahh yes, theres one somewhere with a heater Im pretty sure. No idea what its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Anyone have any leads on a plastic free bidon? That's not metal. I can't seem to find a plastic free sports bottle, or one you don't have to open with both hands, or metal. I really thought there'd be something out there already!

what about the corn based plastics now, as opposed to oil based? the softness of plastics makes them ideal for cages, rigid ones wont fit so good.

In terms of compostable, i was of impression that the new elite ones could be put in the compost bins as they are corn based.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out out a spin today doing intervals and while watt watching on the last one I came within inches of planting my face into a rear windscreen in stopped traffic, very scary moment

Fast forward 2 hrs later I came close to crashing the car when I looked left only in a car park and nearly piled into an oncoming car.

An eventful day for me....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

my favoured option is the aeropress.

I use the this and grind my own beans that I rather environmentally unfriendly normally get delivered from Belfast.

I also use this (well the origin version) , a manual espresso maker. Obviously not as good as a machine, but makes a nice coffee all the same i think

813QVJXGU9L._SY550_.jpg

surely someone has invented a coffee grinder which is powered by pedalling.
    maybe this is how i will make my millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement

it's worth noting though that -impressive as that is - even a lorry will only pull a cloud of vapour a foot or so to the side, as it's actually passing; you san see things get a bit messier after it's actually passed.

Advertisement