Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froome out of TDF - holy sh1tshow batman

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did it involve a tissue or was it a snot rocket?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

THE PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW

more seriously though, that sounds much worse than i'd first heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-remains-in-intensive-care-after-dauphine-crash/

No update on last night's surgery, still in intensive case.
    Spokesperson confirmed that his pelvis is NOT broken, contrary to some earlier reports.
    Further announcements later today.

Sounds rough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

A fractured femur is a very serious and painful injury with a long recovery. The fact he is still in intensive care shows that he must have done some real damage.

I wish him the best in his recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Now that the extent of his injuries is known, I'm less inclined to joke about his bad bike-handling karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well he didn't look to be handling the bike that well trying to put the jacket on in the footage ITV had as he headed out for the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

"He signalled to [team-mate] Wout [Poels] that he was going to clear his nose, he took his hand of the bar to do that and a gust of wind took his front wheel, he lost control and went straight into the wall of a house.

We have had a look at his data, he went from 54km/h to a dead stop."

54 km/h straight into a wall.. Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beans wrote: »
    Now that the extent of his injuries is known, I'm less inclined to joke about his bad bike-handling karma.
    From what I recall he fixed his crap descending problem several years ago.

Quite unusual to crash no-hands at speed, as the speed gives stability.

He was on his TT bike though, right?

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes. The cycling news podcast had spoken to Steven de Jongh, who suggested it was at the end of sheltered bit of the descent. Sounded to me like the cross wind when you pass a field gate.

Two crashes in 3 GT's in TT recce's...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Rmulvany wrote: »

54 km/h straight into a wall.. Ouch
    Lumen wrote: »
    Quite unusual to crash no-hands at speed, as the speed gives stability.

did something similar at hell of the west in kilkee a few years back, on the tri bike , downhill, took hand off the bars for a gel, hit a bump, 50km/hr to 0 instantaneously.

no broken bones, i could tell as the carbon bars sheared, went into my arm to the bone and i could see it after i sat up. so could tell it wasn't broken.

i got off lightly, lots of stitches but could run a few days later. think it's going to take lot longer for froome to recover.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

At his age is it career ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

godtabh wrote: »

The end of a fairy tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Will it make the tour more or less interesting than usual though? Hopefully more, fed up to the gills with the last couple of years of the sky snoozefest. Don't want to see the same under a different branding

kenmc wrote: »
    Will it make the tour more or less interesting than usual though? Hopefully more, fed up to the gills with the last couple of years of the sky snoozefest. Don't want to see the same under a different branding

less interesting i'd say. the froome thomas dynamics of who was being supported is now gone, they'll all be riding for thomas. other teams will have one target to watch, ineos can't play games with a feint by one or the other.

i think this guarantees we see thomas being driven home and the other teams trying to react.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mossym wrote: »
    no broken bones, i could tell as the carbon bars sheared, went into my arm to the bone and i could see it after i sat up. so could tell it wasn't broken.

Well my stomach just turned a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm no Froome fan but its sad to read some of the online glee (not here) at his misfortune. No-one who ends up in an ICU needs to be sneered at. Vino had a similar injury (femur at the joint) when he came off during a Tour stage in the Massif Central some time ago...it didnt quite end his career insofar as he recovered and got back to WT racing, but I dont recall if he was ever competitive (ahem) again
    Given that Froome has nothing to prove, two nippers and a ....robust....missus at home, he could be forgiven for moving on to the next stage in his life when he recovers. He'll hardly be back in 2019 and turns 35 next Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Serious injuries that really could be career threatening. Hope he has a good recovery from it.

I wonder will Eddie get a slot for the Tour now, he could be a great domestique for G.

less interesting i'd say. the froome thomas dynamics of who was being supported is now gone, they'll all be riding for thomas. other teams will have one target to watch, ineos can't play games with a feint by one or the other.
    I would've thought that it could turn into Thomas/ Bernal dynamics, depending on how Swiss plays out.
    TheBlaaMan wrote:
    Given that Froome has nothing to prove, two nippers and a ....robust....missus at home, he could be forgiven for moving on to the next stage in his life when he recovers. He'll hardly be back in 2019 and turns 35 next Spring
    Can't see him not trying for 5, unless the injuries preclude it.

ratracer wrote: »
    I wonder will Eddie get a slot for the Tour now, he could be a great domestique for G.

good point, could be a plus out of this for irish fans

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I would've thought that it could turn into Thomas/ Bernal dynamics, depending on how Swiss plays out.

could be, i was reading something at the weekend of ineos keeping 3 options going in tdf with Froome/thomas/bernal, given how ruthless they have been i could not see them leaving that much to chance, 2 maybe, 3 no way

off topic, but does anyone else find themselves keep typing sky and having to correct it? (and in my case probably spelling it ar$eways as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

At any age it's potentially career ending. At his age it's a distinct possibility.
    The full extent of his injuries according to L'equipe are pretty horrific. https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/Actualites/Froome-a-ete-opere-pendant-8-heures/1029441
    Speaking from experience, bouncing off the road at 40kmh is very painful, I can't imagine and don't want to think about hitting a wall at 55.

off topic, but does anyone else find themselves keep typing sky and having to correct it? (and in my case probably spelling it ar$eways as well)
    I was away during the Giro, so followed it mainly through podcasts. I have Johan Bruyneel's saying it ingrained at this stage from The Move* podcast.

*I feel the need to clarify, it was the third in the list after The Cycling Podcast and The Velocast, but was much better for the lack of Armstrong. BBC Bespoke wasn't daily, but I found Whittle really irritating this time (after always having time for him up to that point!). I have massive problems with Bruyneel as a manager/ supplier/ enabler (delete as applicable), but tactically he has good insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'm no Froome fan but its sad to read some of the online glee (not here) at his misfortune. No-one who ends up in an ICU needs to be sneered at. Vino had a similar injury (femur at the joint) when he came off during a Tour stage in the Massif Central some time ago...it didnt quite end his career insofar as he recovered and got back to WT racing, but I dont recall if he was ever competitive (ahem) again

Vino won the Olympic road race the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I think the Ineos final Tour team could be far from certain right now. Anything could happen in Switzerland, it's usually pissing rain there too. If replacing climber for climber, I think Dunbar was stronger than Sivakov in the final week unless they give the place to Tao Geoghen Hart because of his early withdrawal - probably the most likely? Wouldn't be giving it to Moscon on current form. Might be a shoot out between Eddie and TGH

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dave on a bike

A fractured femur is potentially career ending at any age. At 34 time is not on his side though. I'd be surprised if we ever see him in the peleton again.

the timing on this is unfortunate:

Chris Froome stands to be declared winner of 2011 Vuelta a Espana
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-stands-to-be-declared-winner-of-2011-vuelta-a-espana/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So discrepancies found years later in biopassport, however no test failed at time = DQ
    Failed test at time, for which others have been DQ'd and suspended = Awarding of overall victory so long as you can drag it through the court long enough

Not that I disagree with the decision, it's just more inconsistency from what I can see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think it's inconsistent though. Froome was investigated and cleared. Cobo was investigated and suspended.

Plenty of riders have failed tests before only to have the decision overturned on appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

What chances do you give of Cobo overturning this?

Advertisement