Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Any idea what happened to Cactus Jacks? Seems to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ryertex

There’s a new Irish music song and dance show Celtic Dream started last week on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Monroe’s. Not being run by Monroe’s, it’s a new start up business but using Monroe’s venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anima wrote: »

Was wondering the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya its closed. Pretty sure Druid own the building - heard on the street that a restaurant / wine bar to be going in here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Ya its closed. Pretty sure Druid own the building - heard on the street that a restaurant / wine bar to be going in here
    Sad to hear. Ate there a good few times over the years and always had a good meal. Ate in there as recently as Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Daft decision from ABP.

No surprise as it was so overdue,
    I assume it was a 'motivated' decision, I hope they look to barna/furbo now.

In my experience and all things being equal, more shops means more shoppers not less.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well feck, I was really looking forward to having a Lidl bakery across the road.

Barna is a pretty good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very daft, I cannot see how it would have been bad for the area, not like there's any small shops it could close like the small towns ABP let shops like Lidl, Tesco and Aldi open in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very daft, I cannot see how it would have been bad for the area, not like there's any small shops it could close like the small towns ABP let shops like Lidl, Tesco and Aldi open in.

Too many shops in the area perhaps ? Joyces Dunnes Aldi + a couple of locals, why the need for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

youngrun wrote: »
    Too many shops in the area perhaps ? Joyces Dunnes Aldi + a couple of locals, why the need for more.

Because there is none that size of town. This is part of the traffic issue. People on the western size must add to already congested roads and unnecessarily add to traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Because there is none that size of town. This is part of the traffic issue. People on the western size must add to already congested roads and unnecessarily add to traffic
    ????
    There's a Dunnes and Aldi in the exact area they wanted to build Lidl and Joyces is only a stones throw away. Do people love Lidl so much they'll drive across town to shop there?

xckjoo wrote: »
    ????
    There's a Dunnes and Aldi in the exact area they wanted to build Lidl and Joyces is only a stones throw away. Do people love Lidl so much they'll drive across town to shop there?
    There are certain items they only sell there that we need, I cant get across town to get them with work.

Thats one of the reasons I want one I can get to on the bus during the days, additional to the extra choice.

youngrun wrote: »
    Plenty of small towns in the midlands that have all of those and each of them seems to be doing well enough to keep the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

xckjoo wrote: »
    ????

I think that was the reason for the objection, but you rational will cause more traffic to cross the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is cactus Jack's definitely gone? Was my favourite restaurant in Galway and always seemed busy.

Have they moved location or gone gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

joe123 wrote: »
    Is cactus Jack's definitely gone? Was my favourite restaurant in Galway and always seemed busy.

It's been closed every time I've walked past for the last few weeks.

If they'd moved, I'd expect a sign in the window saying where to, and for the place to be cleared out. No sign. And some of their stuff is still inside (as at a few days ago, anyways). The facebook page has been removed, and the website only lists their Dublin location, no mention of Galway.

I think that was the reason for the objection, but you rational will cause more traffic to cross the river.

https://connachttribune.ie/appeals-board-rejects-plan-for-lidl-at-knocknacarra-site-300/

Some hope left I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

New restaurant opened up on Irwin Lane in the last month. It used to be a French café I think but is a Portuguese and Brazilian place now. We ate there last week and really enjoyed it, found it quite reasonably priced too.

https://www.facebook.com/apoema.bistro/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

joe123 wrote: »

Any word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Any word on this?

It's listed on Google results now as "permanently closed" so it's a gonner. Went there a few weeks ago after not having been there in a good while. Place was busy as normal and grub was delish...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

New Vegan deli to open soon, didn't catch the name of it but it will be in the Presentation Rd/Newcastle area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

"Omniplex Cinemas will open a new 10-screen cinema in the Baily Point complex in Salthill on a phased basis over the coming months, with completion due at the end of the year. It will feature a bar and restaurant, with a service delivering food right to your seat."

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/photos/a.154527567936827/2343208562402039/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Would that be in the ground floor of the apartment building? I remember when it was built there was talk of a cinema going in and I thought it was repurposed as a car park or something (never been inside so going on old talk). If I was Omniplex I would stipulate the outside of the building needs a facelift so it doesn't look like a dilapidated dump.

Will be fantastic for Salthill assuming they don't cock it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Would that be in the ground floor of the apartment building? I remember when it was built there was talk of a cinema going in and I thought it was repurposed as a car park or something (never been inside so going on old talk). If I was Omniplex I would stipulate the outside of the building needs a facelift so it doesn't look like a dilapidated dump.

Will be fantastic for Salthill assuming they don't cock it up.

Work has been ongoing since January! https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/1140552440946876417?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

inisboffin wrote: »
    New Vegan deli to open soon, didn't catch the name of it but it will be in the Presentation Rd/Newcastle area.

Probably the corner unit at the junction joining pres road with Newcastle road,few houses away from.the primary school.. think.it was a Asian grocery before

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

inisboffin wrote: »

Vegano Delicatessen - he's just launched his fb page

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

FitzShane wrote: »
    Was there an official reason given as to why Hole In The Wall closed?
    Lots of mumbling around about it being a long story. But nobody saying much out loud. Not sure I'd believe any story I heard!
    The story's about to get a little longer. An injunction has been granted preventing the winding up of Stephen Fahy Ltd and preventing the leasehold interest being transferred. Back in the High Court on Thursday the 20th.

Advertisement