Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where Credit is due

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

He's your brother, isn't he?

And what does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Well you probably should have made that clear before shilling for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deiseen

He only highlighted that he broke the story, in fairness to him. Which is true.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It’s no secret that Darren is my brother, in this thread alone it’s been mentioned on previous occasions, both by myself and other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Deiseen wrote: »
    He only highlighted that he broke the story, in fairness to him. Which is true.

Do I need to be enlightened......my rough interpretation of the saga is as follows......council tendered for a replacement fleet of vans, worth circa €1m, something/someone badly effed up with the process.....I’m guessing whoever submitted the lowest price was told unofficially that he was lowest and decided to deliver the vans a bit too quickly......someone in council copped on to the ‘mistake’...brought It to higher management level....it was decided to have an internal investigation the ‘person’ who effed up was ‘sniffed out’, during the investigation which dragged on a few months it was decided not to use the vans until the whole issue was resolved. Person responsible was disciplined and new vans were them distributed.....? Admittedly the ‘optics’ weren’t good but when you hear more details about the story I don’t think it’s as big a deal as it was made out to be or am I missing some major detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

In fairness to come out and admit you have a brother who is a Journo is a very brave thing!:)

I personally would be proud to call him a brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In fairness to come out and admit you have a brother who is a Journo is a very brave thing!

I've met a couple of journalists, generally very interesting people, got to know a retired journalist in Dublin for a while, he was once a crime journalist, very interesting guy, horrific stories, I also know Darren, and I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Get in!....Good man Thomas Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Great to see him get a medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I thought I'd give a little shout out to the staff at the NCT centre in Cleaboy. I always find them pleasant and very fair in how they approach the tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I would just like to give a well done to Bus Eireann for their new fleet and improved time tables.
    Becoming more like Dublin with a very regular bus service! Well done chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I would just like to give a well done to Bus Eireann for their new fleet and improved time tables.
    Becoming more like Dublin with a very regular bus service! Well done chaps!

Very good service, buses stick to a timetable and the drivers are polite, helpful and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Belated credit for Downes' pub.

I was back in Waterford for the first time in 20 years for a wedding in June and popped in the night before. Probably the best Guinness I have ever had, and I've sunk quite a few over the decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Shout out (again) to the Doctors and nurses in A&E yesterday evening / last night.
    Had to bring my wife out there and admittedly it was quiet enough the staff from the reception through were great. She has limited mobility and made sure she was comfortable.

They were always on the go but remain pleasant and polite and explained things to us very well.

Saw the other side too, a young girl, probably around 18, extremely intoxicated and asking the nurse for her heroin or at least methadone whilst her mother looked on. Very sad. The nurses were excellent with her.
    I know nothing about heroin addiction but just wondering is A&E the place for it, genuine question.

Roanmore wrote:
    Saw the other side too, a young girl, probably around 18, extremely intoxicated and asking the nurse for her heroin or at least methadone whilst her mother looked on. Very sad. The nurses were excellent with her. I know nothing about heroin addiction but just wondering is A&E the place for it, genuine question.

I think we re in a situation of, what else is there to do about it, our addiction and mental health services are in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That's what I was thinking, where else could she go?

Roanmore wrote:
    That's what I was thinking, where else could she go?

There currently probably isn't any other options, I've been dealing with A&E myself on and off over the last few weeks, those working out there deserve the noble price or something

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very good doc which featured a good bit about the Granville Hotel. Very interesting history

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6009758635001&teideal=Scéalta%20na%20nÓstán%20&series=Scéalta%20na%20nÓstán%20&dlft=34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very good doc which featured a good bit about the Granville Hotel. Very interesting history

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6009758635001&teideal=Scéalta%20na%20nÓstán%20&series=Scéalta%20na%20nÓstán%20&dlft=34

The link would not work for me, so for anyone interested here is the main link to view from beginning

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6009758635001

• Advertisement

Great to see o emperor get music choice first prize, I was disappointed last year to hear that they are disbanding,I thought they have been one of Ireland's best bands since their debut album about ten years ago probably. Must be incredibly difficult for a band to make a living in Ireland, so many bands seem to start off well, but after a few years I'm guessing the likes of family and need to have some sort of steady income kicks in. I guess, you break a bigger market (U.K.) or it becomes a hobby. Anyway fair play o emperor, great music, not afraid to push the boundaries musically too, hopefully they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Max Powers wrote: »
    Great to see o emperor get music choice first prize, I was disappointed last year to hear that they are disbanding,I thought they have been one of Ireland's best bands since their debut album about ten years ago probably. Must be incredibly difficult for a band to make a living in Ireland, so many bands seem to start off well, but after a few years I'm guessing the likes of family and need to have some sort of steady income kicks in. I guess, you break a bigger market (U.K.) or it becomes a hobby. Anyway fair play o emperor, great music, not afraid to push the boundaries musically too, hopefully they'll be back.

Plus Waterford has a very bad name for hiring the same bands over and over again. New and upcoming bands find it impossible to get a chance of a gig when you have the same old 3 for the Road and No Hot Ashes completely dominating the line-up.

Plus Waterford has a very bad name for hiring the same bands over and over again. New and upcoming bands find it impossible to get a chance of a gig when you have the same old 3 for the Road and No Hot Ashes completely dominating the line-up.

Don't think that is the issue, This is a national issue, Ireland is in general not big enough to support full time bands. I think plenty of opportunities out there for a band, if they good enough they can get gigs, loads of spaces there, central hall etc, free ones at first in pubs until they make a name for themselves.problem is a fairly successful band like emperor, as good as they were, a couple small gigs in your home town, a couple in Dublin, cork, Galway, Lk, kk, athlone.....that's about it for the year.it is not enough to sustain it IMO. It ain't Waterford, its small population, you try break into the UK and you have 50 urban areas when we have about 10, most. I suppose all you can do is try support the local, the up and coming, in hope that they might make break thru if good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Max Powers wrote: »
    Don't think that is the issue, This is a national issue, Ireland is in general not big enough to support full time bands. I think plenty of opportunities out there for a band, if they good enough they can get gigs, loads of spaces there, central hall etc, free ones at first in pubs until they make a name for themselves.problem is a fairly successful band like emperor, as good as they were, a couple small gigs in your home town, a couple in Dublin, cork, Galway, Lk, kk, athlone.....that's about it for the year.it is not enough to sustain it IMO. It ain't Waterford, its small population, you try break into the UK and you have 50 urban areas when we have about 10, most. I suppose all you can do is try support the local, the up and coming, in hope that they might make break thru if good enough.

Alot of the issues with big bands coming to Waterford is that unless the likes of mcd are running it then they put a stop to it happening. They dont want them down in places like Waterford. Its not viable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Belated credit to the Council cleaning staff who had the Quay so clean the morning after St Patrick's Day that you could operate on a patient there.

Also great job by the hurlers yesterday - into the League final in Croke Park next weekend!

Dr Landers and the other 3 pathologists, plus darren skelton in n&s.

Dr Landers and the other 3 pathologists, plus darren skelton in n&s.

I thought that event last week to bring a load of major retailers to view the city was an excellent idea, organised by I dont know, fair play whomever involved

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote:
    I thought that event last week to bring a load of major retailers to view the city was an excellent idea, organised by I dont know, fair play whomever involved

What's the crack with this, was unaware it occurred?

Advertisement