Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aoife Dooley abused online after her article appeared in Junior Cert paper!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As someone who hopes to one day make it as a musician, I'd argue that if your chosen career path inevitably puts you into the public spotlight in that way, then such comments from random strangers are just part of the package and again, are something it's not worth one's time taking seriously. I mean how exactly can what's happening to Aoife Dooley affect her in real life? Will journalistic outlets shy away from publishing her work because of it? Will she likely lose business? I mean again, at the end of the day, these are just internet idiots with nothing better to do. The chances of any of them actually following through on a threat are so ridiculously minuscule that it just doesn't seem like anything other than "the internet is not serious business, turn off your push notifications for a couple of days and if you can think of one, fire an epic rebuttal back at these people to make them cringe a bit". Beyond that... It's the internet. As ever thus. ".

You are probably right.

I would like to see the muppets tracked down and cautioned, if only to reduce risk from miniscule to zero and maybe scare some of the jokers straight... but probably its impractical.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Your Face wrote: »
    She just wants attention.
    mdk_kdm wrote: »
    Rape threats? Really?
    Sounds like attention seeking
    I'd like to see proof.

She probably got a handful of messages and this is all a stunt.
    Hundreds of death threats? Who is she kidding?

When you read comments like this, I've no doubt she received abuse.
    Some will say anything when they think they are anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be more of the opinion that I want proof before believing anything. This is just an article written by a colleague for the paper she writes for/in, and no proof. Granted, it does say the Gardaí are investigating, so I'll wait for the results of that myself.

If true, shocking that junior cert teens could be bothered to research it. Last thing I wanted to do after the Junior Cert was read the paper again!

Oh, and for those who sat the Inter Cert, you don't need to tell us how long ago that was, we know you're old when you say Inter Cert! (i'm 36, so ye must be frickin ancient!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Some will say anything to promote themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I was more worried about getting home to watch the World Cup when I did my Inter Cert back in 1990.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    That, along with parcels of shite to Patrick Kavanagh for being a miserable bollix, sort of missed the window, timewise.

Yeah, I think it was Breandán Ó Beacháin himself who described that miserable bollocks as, among many other things, ‘the fúcker from Mucker’....

There's an absolutely brilliant piece in the Law Society Gazette from last summer which captures Kavanagh, his legal battles, rivalries and Behan's punch up with him. The Dublin literary scene seems to have made up for the lack of craic everywhere else in Ireland in the 1950s. It's a hilarious read: Who framed Patrick Kavanagh?

In late 1939, as German forces marched into Polish territory, a solitary, 35-year-old Irish poet, novelist and critic marched 80 miles from his small farm holding in Mucker, Co Monaghan, to Dublin.... Financed by £2,000 from his younger brother Peter, the Weekly criticised the lack of vitality in Ireland in the 30 years after Independence: “All the mouthpieces of public opinion are controlled by men whose only qualification is their inability to think.”.... In October 1952, The Leader magazine published an unsigned, one-sided, unflattering profile of Kavanagh. Kavanagh failed to unmask the author(s) of the offensively hostile piece, with Valentin Iremonger (Irish career diplomat and poet, who also produced translations from the Irish language) and Brendan Behan among his (many) suspects.

The profile caricatured Kavanagh “hunkering over a bar stool” in McDaid’s, presiding over a coterie of much younger submissive acolytes, sponging drinks, coughing and gambling, while fantasising about London’s literary scene. It depicted Kavanagh as a poseur, unsubtle, opinionated, and overbearing. It also contained a (false) suggestion that his poem The Great Hunger had been banned in Ireland.

Kavanagh issued libel proceedings against the magazine and its printer, hoping for an out-of-court settlement of some £500. He had already lost a libel action taken against him in 1938 by Oliver St John Gogarty, who was awarded £100 damages plus costs of £300 over a reference in Kavanagh’s loosely autobiographical book The Green Fool, suggesting Gogarty had a mistress.

On 3 February 1954, the 49-year-old Kavanagh sat in the witness box in the Dublin High Court, waiting for the first of a total of 1,267 questions in what would be a gruelling 13-hour cross-examination by a man 13 years his senior – one of Ireland’s most powerful and influential political and legal figures: John A Costello, former taoiseach and leader of the opposition party....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I suspect it could be somebody creating several accounts just trying to wind her up!

Much like the frequent re-reg accounts here. Might be one person if they're dedicated enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

kowloon wrote: »
    Much like the frequent re-reg accounts here. Might be one person if they're dedicated enough.

It would actually be more of a concern if it is one serious screwup versus a few internet only trolls.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I suspect it could be somebody creating several accounts just trying to wind her up!

You honestly believe she received ‘hundreds’ of death threats?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The article is behind a paywall. Any indication of why those students took up against her? Seems a bit odd for a mass campaign to come up spontaneously. What was her article even about anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kowloon wrote: »

They are two well known mergers here and others go on phases of it.
    Shur I was told I was going to be raped and killed before from reregers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It would actually be more of a concern if it is one serious screwup versus a few internet only trolls.

Wouldn’t be the first time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A mod should probably know better than to start a thread with a woman's name in the title. Always brings out the absolute dregs of After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I can only imagine how much people's lives improve after they close all their social media accounts. It will be good for her in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Aoife Dooley's article appeared in one of the Junior Cert papers Yesterday. It was about people's behavior on public transport.
    Since the article appeared she'd received death threats, threats of people throwing brick throw her windows, rape threats, dick pics,etc.

She has closed her Instagram account and contacted Gardai.

Whilst we had social media when I did my Junior Cert. I don't think it was as popular. Most of us dumped our papers instead of going researching who wrote articles in it and contacting them.
    I wonder how many people actually contacted her. Or could it be one person with several troll accounts.

What do After Hours think?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/comedian-who-appeared-on-junior-cert-paper-subject-to-online-rape-threats-1.3917233

PS I apologise for my English. I did Ordinary level!

Annnnnd who is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Annnnnd who is this?

A comedian looking for publicity.

A mod should probably know better than to start a thread with a woman's name in the title. Always brings out the absolute dregs of After Hours.

Well you are here now so point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't understand how that article was used in the Junior Cert paper. You'd see better posts on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You honestly believe she received ‘hundreds’ of death threats?

She definitely wouldn’t be prone to exaggerating things anyway.....

https://twitter.com/aoife_dooley/status/1136552023946616832?s=21

That said - anyone sending abuse or threats over twitter is quite the pathetic little sh1t

Anyone sending threats because “poxes” was changed to “idiots”? They’ve clearly got a few issues themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Like why do people hate Aoife Dooley? Don't get it

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »

Yer Da sells Avon seems to be blaming misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Peig Sayers was great, or so we were told. Nothing we could do, no social media then. But by Jayzis are we ranting about it now. She is gone and doesn't care.

Every generation/Lc/Jc class has a hatred for something. Thing is, it can be ridiculed instantly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

cgcsb wrote: »

Because, there is something about the internet, and anonymous accounts which just triggers some peoples instinct to be judgemental and harsh.

On any thread about or concerning the vast majority of people, in the public eye leads to a majority of negative comments about them.

Ryan Turbidy, Joe Duffy, Ciara Kelly, Pat Kenny, Tommy Tiernan, all politicians, sports stars, comedians, entertainers and so on and so on.

I think it is a sign of a lack of self confidence in the poster, whether Twitter, FB, Boards or reddit. In many cases I think they perceive the individual in question of having it easy (only doing 2 hours radio a day for example) and they think that is unfair compared to their 9-5 or whatever and so they vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Lord of the flies online.

Yer Da sells Avon seems to be blaming misogyny.

You said that, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I can only imagine how much people's lives improve after they close all their social media accounts. It will be good for her in the long run.

Tbh you just find other things to waste time on :pac:

But you dont feel sh1t about yourself everyday

You said that, not me.

You weren’t implying misogyny? Poor choice of words on your part then. Try ‘person’s name’ instead of ‘woman's name’ next time then it won’t be so obvious.

You weren’t implying misogyny? Poor choice of words on your part then. Try ‘person’s name’ instead of ‘woman's name’ next time then it won’t be so obvious.

It was interesting how your knee jerked like that as soon as you saw the word 'woman'.

It was interesting how your knee jerked like that as soon as you saw the word 'woman'.

Yeah, you were called on it and are desperately rowing back now. Nice try.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you were called on it and are desperately rowing back now. Nice try.

Also interesting how my reference to the 'dregs of After Hours' sent you off on one.

Advertisement