Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Explanation

Hope that made sense. It's complicated to explain.

Yeah, makes perfect sense alright.
    Now I know why I didn't encounter being under-leved like you say, as I never let the gear get more than 5-6 levels behind before switching to something "a little worse" but better level, or upgrading it at the blacksmith :)

The new DLC throws ability points at you without levelling up. 20 I think based on the achievement tracker. Plus what ever you would get for levelling up as usual.

Finished DLC. Enjoyed it far more than the previous one and it's a bit more substantial. Felt it dragged out a bit and the story had a fair bit of nonsense in that you are
    doing quests for both sides but as far as I could tell there was really only one way it could end and you couldn't opt out of quests for the other side so the illusion of choice wasn't so much an illusion as a farce.

Over all though it was enjoyable and the location looked fantastic in 4k.

In fairness to Ubi too this is likely the best value I've seen in a 'gold' edition of a game. Serious amount of content when you consider the remaster of AC3 etc. plus the main game content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

This or God of War? I havent played any of the Assassins Creeds in years but loved them when they first came out on PS3, help me decide what to kill time with next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

mutley18 wrote: »
    This or God of War? I havent played any of the Assassins Creeds in years but loved them when they first came out on PS3, help me decide what to kill time with next :)

God of war, its far superior in both game play and story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

mutley18 wrote: »

I'll buy a PS5 for the next God of War installment. Me bollox would i for the next Assassins Creed game...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Definitely God of War. It won all those awards for a reason and if my personal GOTY from last year, and my top Must Have game for the PS4. But saying that, don't forget Odyssey. I've decided it's the best AC game yet. Completely changes the formula. Definitely pick it up at some stage, but it's less Assassins Creed and more God Mode. I did assassinate in it, but the real fun, imo, was the combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

God of War is a better game, but you'll definitely get more from Assassins Creed in terms of things to do/time spent, but yeah, I would go with GoW.

Get Odyssey!
    Just to mix up opinions :P

AC Odyssey was my GOTY last year :D

Oh, you can't really compare them. As noted, God of War is a refined, perfectly polished and tight narrative while giving you a bit of open world freedom. They actually have to be praised for their slow moments narrative when you're in the boat. Genius, and something I reckon we'll see a lot more in other games going forward. Dynamic conversations. Whereas Odyssey is a massive, and I mean massive, open world where you can basically go anywhere at any time. The combat is not as tight, but still highly enjoyable. Story is pretty good in fairness, but suffers from the usual multiple choice game issues.

I dunno, Odyssey would most likely have got my GOTY if it wasn't for God of War. I personally think GoW was perfect, and Odyssey was near perfect. And I don't mean technically perfect, all games have issues, but for any issues either of those games had, I can't remember them over the enjoyment I got from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Dark Souls is not fun. Odyssey is. Comparison complete. :D

Odyssey is nearly it's own type of game. They made a fantastic choice by allowing you to climb nearly everything (only thing I couldn't climb were trees, but some of them can still be used for the branches). It's a light RPG with some choices which can affect the end-game and some other aspects throughout, but never a major thing you need to worry about.

The combat is the best in the series imo, and you have a large variety of moves to utilise. So much, that you can't have everything on the 1 build, but it's easy to re-spec if needed, but the armor options can make this unnecessary.

The story I really enjoyed, but some people may not like it. I will 100% be picking up the Season Pass at some stage, and I don't do that for just any game, and don't think I've ever done it outside of CoD.

Either way, I highly recommend it. It looks amazing, and is huge and full of fun!

Dark souls is fun. Your just bad at the game. Get gud

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Dark souls is fun. Your just bad at the game. Get gud

I believe the term is 'Git gud'. And no, it's not, die/repeat simulators are not fun. But we're not going to have this conversation in an AC Odyssey thread. Or at all really, because I don't care.

Whereas Odyssey is loads of fun.

because I don't care.

Your ability to point out games are bad because you suck at them over and over again dictates otherwise ;)

nix wrote: »
    Your ability to point out games are bad because you suck at them over and over again dictates otherwise ;)

Ah, you're stalking me. Cool, never had a stalker before! Don't check on me once the lights get dimmed, no one wants to see that...

I don't care about the 'Git gud' stuff, I don't have time to dedicate to playing the same level/boss over and over (and over and over.....) until I get it right, so the game is bad to me. Just like some people saying Odyssey is bad, but I think it's one of the best games of recent time.

Depends on what you want in a game, some people prefer Forza to Forza Horizon, and vice versa. I prefer challenging but not hard games (God of War, even on GMGOW). Dark Souls is just hard, frustrating and requires you to die over and over to learn patterns. I've no issue learning patterns, but I shouldn't need to die/repeat so often to do it. So the comeback to that is ALWAYS 'Git gud' as if that's a a valid argument. I may still get involved in these discussions, but I actually don't care in the end. Usually just bored at work, and hate the 'git gud' argument, because it's not one.

So the comeback to that is ALWAYS 'Git gud' as if that's a a valid argument.

As annoying as it may be, its actually fairly accurate. You need to learn how the game operates, once you do, you will die a lot less. You don't need to always die to progress, its rare you would actually come across a boss that would take ages in those games, its not uncommon to 1 or 2 shot a boss. You need to "git gud" at the game in order to beat it.

As opposed to the likes of the AC games, where you can stay terrible at the game forever and still finish it. They require next to no effort to progress through other than completing the same mundane quests/tasks over and over.

The only thing Odyssey added this time around that was different and actually added a bit of excitement to the game play, was the hunting of the wild legendary animals. Probably because the fights mirror dark souls like gameplay :pac:

But yeah the reason you keep getting hit with the same pig ignorant "git gud" comments is likely because of how you keep throwing the same pig ignorant comments of those games out there :)

And eh, not a stalker, just read this forum a lot, which you happen to post in a lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As annoying as it may be, its actually fairly accurate. You need to learn how the game operates, once you do, you will die a lot less. You don't need to always die to progress, its rare you would actually come across a boss that would take ages in those games, its not uncommon to 1 or 2 shot a boss. You need to "git gud" at the game in order to beat it.

As opposed to the likes of the AC games, where you can stay terrible at the game forever and still finish it. They require next to no effort to progress through other than completing the same mundane quests/tasks over and over.

The only thing Odyssey added this time around that was different and actually added a bit of excitement to the game play, was the hunting of the wild legendary animals. Probably because the fights mirror dark souls like gameplay :pac:

But yeah the reason you keep getting hit with the same pig ignorant "git gud" comments is likely because of how you keep throwing the same pig ignorant comments of those games out there :)

And eh, not a stalker, just read this forum a lot, which you happen to post in a lot ;)

I'd agree with Potential Monke tbh. I've never had any affinity for the Soulsborne games (only played Bloodborne to be fair). I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot, but it never really hooked me. I learned how the game operated, got reasonably good at it etc. Just didn't tickle my fancy.

AC Odyssey though had me hooked and engaged from the start. Some games, I play for the challenge. What I enjoyed about Odyssey though was that while some enemies, bosses etc were a huge challenge, a lot of the game you can crush wave after wave of enemies and feel like a total god. That can be just as enjoyable as a challenging game. Even though it requires much less skill and effort, you can still greatly enjoy it.

Some games can be fun, some can be challenging, some can be both. Some might not find the challenge of Dark Souls to be fun. Some might not find the fun of Odyssey challenging enough.

Them the words I was trying to use, but I'm not good with words!

Penn wrote: »
    I'd agree with Potential Monke tbh. I've never had any affinity for the Soulsborne games (only played Bloodborne to be fair). I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot, but it never really hooked me. I learned how the game operated, got reasonably good at it etc. Just didn't tickle my fancy.

AC Odyssey though had me hooked and engaged from the start. Some games, I play for the challenge. What I enjoyed about Odyssey though was that while some enemies, bosses etc were a huge challenge, a lot of the game you can crush wave after wave of enemies and feel like a total god. That can be just as enjoyable as a challenging game. Even though it requires much less skill and effort, you can still greatly enjoy it.

Some games can be fun, some can be challenging, some can be both. Some might not find the challenge of Dark Souls to be fun. Some might not find the fun of Odyssey challenging enough.

And ive no problem with that and agree with the majority of what you said haha, Mr Monke on the other hand didnt bother learning them and hated them because they were too hard, and he calls them bad games as a result. Which just blows my mind :confused::pac:

And ive no problem with that and agree with the majority of what you said haha, Mr Monke on the other hand didnt bother learning them and hated them because they were too hard, and he calls them bad games as a result. Which just blows my mind :confused::pac:

It's called personal preference. I think die/repeat games are bad because they take too much effort. Just like I think modern music is bad because, well, it is. But there are some crazy people out there that think that Old Town Road horse song is brilliant, they're wrong, imo, but also fact.

Maybe I'm not using emojis enough to have the tongue in cheek aspect picked up on. It's just an opinion, but it's the right opinion. Ironing.

Second Fate of Atlantis DLC out. Really enjoyed what I played of it last night.

A quest involving some nods back to the main game was really good.

It has another twist on the combat and enemies too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i only played the first mission of the first dlc, but it was so boring that i haven't gone back to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Second Fate of Atlantis DLC out. Really enjoyed what I played of it last night.

A quest involving some nods back to the main game was really good.

It has another twist on the combat and enemies too.

Yeah started it myself last night too. Liking it so far, already better than the Legacy of the First Blade DLC and really embracing Greek Mythology

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Havent played any of the DLC missions other than hunting down the higher level mercs.

Is that 3 DLC missions I have missed? 1st blade? Atlantis and and now more atlantis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Havent played any of the DLC missions other than hunting down the higher level mercs.

Is that 3 DLC missions I have missed? 1st blade? Atlantis and and now more atlantis?

3 episodes of the legacy of the first blade and the second episode for Fate of Atlantis was released yesterday, still one episode left after that. Both DLC have 3 episodes each

Finished it there, definitely the best of the dlc so far.

Is everything out now, or are we still waiting?
    I kinda want to finish all the additional stuff in one go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is everything out now, or are we still waiting?
    I kinda want to finish all the additional stuff in one go :)

Think there's one more episode in this DLC (two DLCs with three episodes each for six total, so five have been released). After that I think all the main things are released.

There are still two unobtainable achievements on the list so at least two more of the free DLC missions to go yet.

Advertisement