Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite type of World Cuisine?

Options
  • 31-05-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭

I think I'd like Italian the most!
    I used love spicy foods in the past but I've gone off them in the last few years!

What is your favorite type of World Cuisine?

What is your favorite type of World Cuisine? 179 votes

American
    61% 110 votes
    British
    0% 1 vote
    Caribbean
    0% 0 votes
    Chinese
    0% 0 votes
    French
    2% 5 votes
    Greek
    1% 3 votes
    Indian
    1% 2 votes
    Irish
    5% 10 votes
    Italian
    1% 2 votes
    Japanese
    7% 14 votes
    Mediterranean
    2% 5 votes
    Mexican
    1% 2 votes
    Moroccan
    5% 9 votes
    Spanish
    0% 0 votes
    Thai
    1% 2 votes
    Turkish
    5% 10 votes
    Vietnamese
    1% 3 votes
    Other
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Burger and fries

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Middle Eastern / East med

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What's "Irish" cuisine? An oxymoron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kaylob jose maria

Chinese, sweet and sour chicken balls, egg fried rice

Weird visual glitch with the poll results

• Advertisement

Chinese, sweet and sour chicken balls, egg fried rice

That's probably filed under Irish cuisine actually

No Middle Eastern/Arabic option?

I'm off to Zaytoon in protest.

French the best food at the high end imo.
    Italian for simple tasty dishes.
    Asian for street food.
    Spanish for sharing.

There is no Irish cuisine because most people in Ireland were surviving on potatoes and milk up to a 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Chinese or Thai for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What's "Irish" cuisine? An oxymoron?

Irish cuisine = spuds
    Noveau Irish cuisine = spuds and butter

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Irish cuisine = spuds
    Speaking of which, is there a credible theory as to why we (and the Brits, to a slightly lesser extent, but only slightly) have such under-developed cuisine?

Someone will probably say it's a product of our climate, but that someone has clearly never enjoyed Ikea meatballs, or the fare from its in-store grocery shop.

With our incredibly fertile land, seas and rivers with fish leaping out of them, and wide array of farming systems, we really have no excuse.

With our incredibly fertile land, seas and rivers with fish leaping out of them, and wide array of farming systems, we really have no excuse.

Historically, the population didn't have access to these foods. The undemocratic ownership of land reduced the choice of food to a large extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Mexican going to walk away with this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Odhinn wrote: »
    Irish cuisine = spuds

Served on a slate

Mexican going to walk away with this

Mexican and Indian would have been my 2nd and 3rd choices.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Historically, the population didn't have access to these foods. The undemocratic ownership of land reduced the choice of food to a large extent.
    Yeah but you could apply the same to France and to great big chunks of Asia.

Graph looks shot to fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Chicken Jal ferazzi and a coriander nan, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Speaking of which, is there a credible theory as to why we (and the Brits, to a slightly lesser extent, but only slightly) have such under-developed cuisine?

Someone will probably say it's a product of our climate, but that someone has clearly never enjoyed Ikea meatballs, or the fare from its in-store grocery shop.

I'm not sure dodgy meatballs and picked fish are that convincing an argument.
    I'm sure some of it is due to lack of spices and the lack of exotica flavouring in anything that grows natively here.

A lot of the more creative arts (which require a certain amount of time and money to pursue) didn't exactly flourish in Ireland and the UK in the distant past

poll results seem to be Irish take-away habits :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Authentic greek is ****ing amazing

A lot of these foods will depend on where you are having them. Like iv had pizza in italy that is unmatched by any pizza iv had here. Just like a lot of mexican food is actually "tex mex" rather than authentic mexican

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    A lot of the more creative arts (which require a certain amount of time and money to pursue) didn't exactly flourish in Ireland and the UK in the distant past
    That's an interesting parallel.

I remember hearing once, I think in a Vincent Browne interview with a number of Irish architects, that in the 1950s, some Scandinavian government sent over some emissaries to discover hidden Irish gems in the visual arts. They seemed to think that a country like Ireland, with its rich cultural and literary heritage, had to have produced some undiscovered artistic gems.

Needless to say, the Scandi delegation soon found themselves back in Dublin Airport, quite empty-handed, shrugging their shoulders.

That's an interesting parallel.

I remember hearing once, I think in a Vincent Browne interview with a number of Irish architects, that in the 1950s, some Scandinavian government sent over some emissaries to discover hidden Irish gems in the visual arts. They seemed to think that a country like Ireland, with its rich cultural and literary heritage, had to have produced some undiscovered artistic gems.

Needless to say, the Scandi delegation soon found themselves back in Dublin Airport, quite empty-handed, shrugging their shoulders.

Ireland was never a place of enlightenment. We had a some miserable writers but that's about it. Most of them were West Brits!

If it wasn't for air travel and the internet it would still be a complete backwater.

But you're going off-topic here.

Irish cuisine is non-existent mainly due to a history of subsistence-living and being an island.

Even our breakfast and Sunday dinners etc are pretty much carbon copy of the Brits with minor differences. It's funny how France and Italy has so many culinary classics that were peasant staples but we have feck all.

We've some fantastic dishes like mashed potato, mashed cabbage and potato, mashed cabbage without potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No Middle Eastern/Arabic option?

I'm off to Zaytoon in protest.

Take me with you, that place and Iskanders are my happy places. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Served on a slate
    or a sod of turf

Actually Turkish food is amazing but we don't have a proper Turkish BBQ restaurant here like the ones they have in London

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

We're too conservative as a nation. We're still obsessed with 'The Carvery'.
    I spoke to a hotshot chef with a stunning resume flown in from overseas to lead a rural irish hotel restaurant who wanted to cater to a classier clientele. He remarked that they wouldn't choose his dishes off the menu, demanded the return of turkey and ham as an option and kicked up a fuss if they weren't given servings or extra servings of potatoes and vegetables, even if the menu options didn't include it.
    I vote for french, pre noveau cuisine.
    Back to the times when cooking with butter was cool and nobody counted calories.
    Szechuan would be a close second. Fantastic flavours.

• Advertisement

We're too conservative as a nation. We're still obsessed with 'The Carvery'.
    I spoke to a hotshot chef with a stunning resume flown in from overseas to lead a rural irish hotel restaurant who wanted to cater to a classier clientele. He remarked that they wouldn't choose his dishes off the menu, demanded the return of turkey and ham as an option and kicked up a fuss if they weren't given servings or extra servings of potatoes and vegetables, even if the menu options didn't include it.
    if he worked in a place that served turkey and ham as a menu choice, I doubt he was as much of a hotshot as he may have thought

(that's the other thing about us Irish, we don't like notions!)

He's right, though. I know a chef who barely seasons his food, because he reckons the first thing his customers will do when the plate arrives is to reach for the salt cannister.

I'm not terrifically old, and yet I'm old enough to remember when coleslaw came to our village Spar. I kid you not, I was mocked as a posho for having it on my ham sandwiches. But that might be a small-town thing as opposed to just an irish thing.

Advertisement