Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is good to shop for women in late 30s?

Options
  • 26-05-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I would previously have dressed cool and cutting edge, gained about a stone in recent years, none of my old clothes fit me, and even if they did, I feel too old to wear them now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What brands or style of clothing did you buy before? What style do you like? For example Alexa Chung version of cool will be different to Rihanna version of cool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

COS and & Other Stories are definitely worth a look, along with Warehouse.

It can be useful to pick up a copy of Grazia or the likes and see if there's any celebs in it whose style you like, and then look them up on Instagram, Pinterest, Google images etc for inspo.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Yeah totally depends on what kind of cool you're after but it's worth checking out Instagram for inspiration... some of these might help, but then again mighn't be the style you're after:
    Ystyleireland
    40plusnotgivingupyet
    Ymsblog
    Ccaitriona23
    Lovestyle40
    Casual_weekend_style
    Cslstyleista

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thanks All. Alexa Chung would definitely have been among my main inspo's before. But now I'm not sure I could pull it off. I used to love brands like Topshop, Selected Femme, Bella Freud (for a splurge), Rolla's, Alice McCall (again for a splurge).
    I have very little to fit me now, and not a lot of money to buy new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I really like Phase 8, they do lovely dresses. They’re not cheap, but it is the only place my D-cup bust can fit into a shirt dress or wrap dress without fear of popping out.
    I like Wallis as well, but that’s not exactly cutting edge. On the other hand, I can pick up a dress in there for 20-30 quid in a sale. You could probably still funk it up with your various accessories & shoes.

• Advertisement

Among the brands you listed only Top Shop strikes me as a bit dated and I don't overly shop there (early forties). I have no idea what size or shape you are but I'm going to suggest Zara. Their tailoring isn't great so they might not suit you regardless of your size. (I'm 10 and I can't find a jacket that fits me properly there). Mango is another option for lower priced items. Weekday are great for denim. Finery if you like florals. Their outlet section has some nice stuff if you don't want to spend too much. LaRedoute seems a bit bland at first but I found some great items there. Don't pay the full price because they have sone promotions almost ebery second week.

+1 for Other Stories and Cos.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I really like Phase 8, they do lovely dresses. They’re not cheap, but it is the only place my D-cup bust can fit into a shirt dress or wrap dress without fear of popping out.
    I like Wallis as well, but that’s not exactly cutting edge. On the other hand, I can pick up a dress in there for 20-30 quid in a sale. You could probably still funk it up with your various accessories & shoes.

Thanks for that tip on the dresses. Same size bust and wrap and button dresses are a complete no go!

IMO you should wear what you like (within reason).

The only things I would avoid are really skimpy clothes like very short skirts/shorts and crop tops. A lot of clothes on the high street at the moment are appropriate for a wide range of ages. I'm mid 30s and shop in H&M quite a lot.

It's not like in decades past where women were expected to dress frumpy once they started having kids.

I have friends my age and older who wear a lot of the 90s style stuff that's out at the moment, and they look great. Even though they remember it the first time round!

Late 30s would not be the target market for Wallis and Phase Eight. Of course there's nothing wring with shopping there if you like their style, but they are generally popular with an older age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I buy a good bit online from Esprit. They used to have shops here but they all closed during or after the recession but their website is great. I find the fabrics to be good quality and true to size and they always have great reductions in the sales. Free returns, so with stuff that doesn't fit it goes back in the post for no quibble refund. The quality is far better than any of the Arcadia Group like Topshop or Wallis (who I worked for and wore their clothes for years!)

As for Zara, there's a few bits I like there, but I find the cut doesn't suit my shape unless it's maybe a skirt. The dresses are too tight across the bust and back, and if I go up a size, the entire fit is totally off. Trousers aren't great either. I'll wear their tee-shirts but that's about it.

I've bought from Cos as well, but I would be lucky to find one or two things I like out of their whole range.

I also pick up the odd thing from Gap, usually the outlet. Last year I got a pair of trousers that were perfect so I went back and bought a different colour. Like others have said, once you find something that fits just right, you can dress it up or down with shoes/accessories.

As an aside, what is it with websites (Zara, I'm talking to you!) who use Amazonian models with practically inverted chests? I'm not that big busted but I just look at certain things knowing they won't look anything like the online version when I put them on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

+1 for Esprit, I often get stuff there too, fits well and good quality. You can often get nice stuff in the sale at decent prices.

I quite like Fat Face for casual clothes and jackets, but it might be too casual for you. H&M or Gap can be ok too. M&S is sometimes nice, just stay away from the granny clothes.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Late 30s would not be the target market for Wallis and Phase Eight. Of course there's nothing wring with shopping there if you like their style, but they are generally popular with an older age group.

I kind of know where are you coming from but a plain jumpsuit from Pahse Eight wont be much different to a plain jumpsuit from another brand except the sizing might suit better. It won't look old at all with a pair of runners. Some dresses from Wallis work perfectly for younger women. Brands targeting older women often have better tailoring and while busy mother of the bride outfit won't suit one could find a perfectly decent pair of wide leg trousers.

Personally I think the older you get the more attention should be paid to materials and quality of finish. Another brand not mentioned I'm a huge fan of is Arket. Great for basics .

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

If you're looking to buy women's clothing for over 30's I suggest a girl's weekend in Ennis Co Clare.

Ennis is the boutique capital of Ireland

Yes, I'm looking at Zara online. I haven't seen anything I like though. I think that's more to do with me not liking summer fashion as much as winter fashion though. I may have to wait a few months.
    Cos is a good idea, I do like their stuff actually.
    Phase 8, Wallis and Next etc would not be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I'm loving Next at the moment. I think their quality is generally good. I got some lovely tailored jumpsuits in the sale section recently on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

I like Dorothy Perkins - and they have a great petite range (I'm only 5ft2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yes, I'm looking at Zara online. I haven't seen anything I like though. I think that's more to do with me not liking summer fashion as much as winter fashion though. I may have to wait a few months.
    Cos is a good idea, I do like their stuff actually.
    Phase 8, Wallis and Next etc would not be for me.

You might also like Massimo Dutti (its owned by Zara) but it bit less fast fashion and more classic. Maybe a trip to Dundrum or Grafton St to visit the shops in person, Zara in particular is dire for online as the models they use are so unrealistic for the vast majority of us.

I'm in my early/mid 30's and I'm trying to change my shopping habits.

My best advice is to think of items that you've owned that his brought you joy. I used to be terrible to buying things on the spur of the moment without thinking. I now look at every label and refuse to buy polyester, for environmental reasons but also because its a horrible, sweaty fabric to wear. I try not to buy something unless I can think of multiple ways to wear it and also I try not to buy so often but focus on fewer quality items.

I'd agree with you on brands like Next... I've bought from there before, mostly workwear but some casual stuff, and although its well priced, there was nothing from Next that I ever really loved. Nothing washed particularly well or looked smart over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im going to go against what others have said here, I saw a woman who looked to be in her early 40's in a lovely cream lace sleeved crop top with jeans and boots and she looked out of this world. I also saw a woman in her 40's in a short leather skirt with heels and a fab shirt, she looked amazing and her legs were fantastic, why shouldnt she show them off?
    Dont stop dressing how you like because you feel youre too old for certain things, obviously dont go out dressed like a 21 year old but youre allowed to look trendy and show off your body and you can do that and still look classy.

Im going to go against what others have said here, I saw a woman who looked to be in her early 40's in a lovely cream lace sleeved crop top with jeans and boots and she looked out of this world. I also saw a woman in her 40's in a short leather skirt with heels and a fab shirt, she looked amazing and her legs were fantastic, why shouldnt she show them off?
    Dont stop dressing how you like because you feel youre too old for certain things, obviously dont go out dressed like a 21 year old but youre allowed to look trendy and show off your body and you can do that and still look classy.

I don't want to show off my body. I have nothing to show off. I've gained a stone at least. Although I am still within the normal BMI range and many would consider me small, I just don't like how I look right now. On top of that my lifestyle has changed in recent years and the clothes I once wore don't appeal to me, even if they did still fit me. I'm in a bit of a rut I guess. I also much prefer winter fashion so it's not a great time to be having this epiphany.

• Advertisement

I don't think a crop top or mini skirt are an issue. I'm about half a stone heavier now than I was in my twenties and probably fitter but my body changed especially after childbirth. My breasts are probably flatter but stomach definitely isn't. If you put on some weight suddenly the type of clothing you looked great in doesn't suit anymore. I'm fairly comfortable in picking stuff for myself except after childbirth when I was completely lost what to buy.

Often thirties are a time when you start buying nice work clothes or day clothes and less going out stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I don't want to show off my body. I have nothing to show off. I've gained a stone at least. Although I am still within the normal BMI range and many would consider me small, I just don't like how I look right now. On top of that my lifestyle has changed in recent years and the clothes I once wore don't appeal to me, even if they did still fit me. I'm in a bit of a rut I guess. I also much prefer winter fashion so it's not a great time to be having this epiphany.

Thats ok, not everyone likes showing off their body but if its a self esteem issue youre dealing with new clothes wont fix that. It sounds like youre healthy and look great but if youre not happy and feel you would like to improve yourself maybe take up an activity like the gym, a sport, dancing?
    Have you thought about looking up some celebrities whose style you admire? might give you some inspiration, also Pinterest is great, make a board of different clothes and styles and should start to see a theme in the items you pick, might give you an idea of what to look for.

If you're still within normal BMI, I doubt you've anything to worry about, but all the same, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable at your age/stage in life.

Theres actually a bit of a trend towards modesty these days. Lots of long dresses, worn with trainers. Very flattering and forgiving for summer, and not at all dowdy as you'd see women from their early 20's up wearing similar styles.

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/ruffled-linen-dress-p04786248.html?v1=14444852&v2=1180427

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/ruffled-polka-dot-dress-p09006151.html?v1=13757853&v2=1180427

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/printed-dress-with-belt-p07727025.html?v1=14648781&v2=1180427

Wear with simple white trainers or sandals and its a fresh, casual look but still covered up and not exposing of any areas you may be conscious of.

Also, have you thought about things beyond clothes? Maybe a fresh haircut/colour or a makeup lesson might make you feel better?

You probably just need to look at your body differently. I used to have great legs, but almost 20 years of working on my feet followed by pregnancy left me with very veiny legs that I hate. So I don't show them during summer, so it's floaty skirts and maxi dresses, no shorts or minis. But in winter I wear opaque tights and wear the dresses and skirts I like.

Where did you put on the weight? When I gain weight it tends to be around the hips and bum, so I'll wear longer t-shirts in structured fabrics over either skinny jeans/trousers or I have a couple of pairs of structured culotte type trousers (cos style) that look good. Or a dress with a full skirt and belt.

I bought this dress in Esprit a few months ago (it's cheaper now!) and it's lovely on, a really nice fit, and I'll wear it in winter with tights.

https://www.esprit.eu/sale/women-sale/dresses/dress-with-a-mixed-pattern-and-turn-down-collar-118EO1E046_001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I find Oasis fairly good for everyday comfortable casual basics. It's not exactly fashion forward. I pretty much live in their long sleeved t-shirts.

I like Zara clothes but they don't fit me. I'd definitely give them a shot to see if they fit you.

Dorothy Perkins I second. I've got a few really nice bits there in the last year or two. Maybe I've aged, but I feel like they've really pulled their socks up in terms of design and fit.

Michael Kors tends to be good for the splurge stuff.

Arnotts is my go to shopping destination, I'd browse there and BTs on a quiet weekday. Try on anything and everything outside your comfort zone and see if anything inspires you. You can buy what you like and use it as future inspiration for internet shopping & searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I find Oasis fairly good for everyday comfortable casual basics. It's not exactly fashion forward. I pretty much live in their long sleeved t-shirts.

I like Zara clothes but they don't fit me. I'd definitely give them a shot to see if they fit you.

Dorothy Perkins I second. I've got a few really nice bits there in the last year or two. Maybe I've aged, but I feel like they've really pulled their socks up in terms of design and fit.

Michael Kors tends to be good for the splurge stuff. Also LK Bennett and Hobbs.

Arnotts is my go to shopping destination, I'd browse there and BTs on a quiet weekday. Try on anything and everything outside your comfort zone and see if anything inspires you. You can buy what you like and use it as future inspiration for internet shopping & searches.

SozBbz wrote: »
    If you're still within normal BMI, I doubt you've anything to worry about, but all the same, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable at your age/stage in life.

Theres actually a bit of a trend towards modesty these days. Lots of long dresses, worn with trainers. Very flattering and forgiving for summer, and not at all dowdy as you'd see women from their early 20's up wearing similar styles.

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/ruffled-linen-dress-p04786248.html?v1=14444852&v2=1180427

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/ruffled-polka-dot-dress-p09006151.html?v1=13757853&v2=1180427

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/printed-dress-with-belt-p07727025.html?v1=14648781&v2=1180427

Wear with simple white trainers or sandals and its a fresh, casual look but still covered up and not exposing of any areas you may be conscious of.

Also, have you thought about things beyond clothes? Maybe a fresh haircut/colour or a makeup lesson might make you feel better?

I tried on the third dress, it's lovely, but it's a bit Kirsty Allsop if you're over 40 (like me!) They also do it in a plain orange but it's too much bright orange.

I tried on the third dress, it's lovely, but it's a bit Kirsty Allsop if you're over 40 (like me!) They also do it in a plain orange but it's too much bright orange.

Ha, now that you mention it, i can see Kirsty in it! Just goes to show though, it’s not item of clothing, it’s your body type and how you style things.

It probably wouldn’t work for me because I’ve a large bust (risk of looking like Kirsty would be strong) but styling wise it wouldn’t even occur to me to style it with a prim mid heal and pearls like she might. I’d be thinking white trainers and a leather jacket.

One of the things I actually love about fashion these days is that there are so many casual options that also look smart. You can wear trainers with anything which is just a joy because I spent a lot of my teens and twenties putting my feet through a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Next, it's brilliant :D

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Ha, now that you mention it, i can see Kirsty in it! Just goes to show though, it’s not item of clothing, it’s your body type and how you style things.

It probably wouldn’t work for me because I’ve a large bust (risk of looking like Kirsty would be strong) but styling wise it wouldn’t even occur to me to style it with a prim mid heal and pearls like she might. I’d be thinking white trainers and a leather jacket.

One of the things I actually love about fashion these days is that there are so many casual options that also look smart. You can wear trainers with anything which is just a joy because I spent a lot of my teens and twenties putting my feet through a lot!

It's actually fairly roomy, you would be surprised. I returned a size M in a different dress and grabbed a L to try on, it was HUGE, so got an M and there was still room in it. A cami underneath can deflect from your bust and the belt is a bow that you can tie to the front to deflect or the side to enhance. But the best thing about it is that it has pockets!

I'm still half debating ordering it online.:P

Advertisement