Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Mitochondria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

chickey2 wrote: »
    No plan and no race goals.

If you're anything like me, the above leads to the below.
    I've serious motivation problems right now.

Make a start on the base plan and see if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sounds like you're in a difficult spot. I hope you find your mojo soon, it's frustrating when it goes missing :(

Agree with huzzah usually a target race and a plan help to focus the mind a bit.

Set small achievable goals to start and make a realistic plan for each day the evening before so you have no excuse that the day just ran away from you (excuse the pun :P).

And keep logging, there's nothing like a bit of accountability, we're all watching you ;)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I hear you!

Just back again after barely putting one foot in front of the other for a couple of months .

I find its all about habit . Once I get the habit back I'm all in but the first two weeks you really have to force yourself out the door ! Pick a nice goal and go for it! This time of year mind I'm always motivated by budging the xmas bulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Make a start on the base plan and see if that helps?

I've done just that and feel much better already! I think I was just annoyed with myself about doing so rubbish on the 10K plan and then missing the race after all that.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Sounds like you're in a difficult spot. I hope you find your mojo soon, it's frustrating when it goes missing :(

Agree with huzzah usually a target race and a plan help to focus the mind a bit.

Set small achievable goals to start and make a realistic plan for each day the evening before so you have no excuse that the day just ran away from you (excuse the pun :P).

And keep logging, there's nothing like a bit of accountability, we're all watching you ;)
    Thanks, it's good to know I'm accountable!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    I hear you!

Just back again after barely putting one foot in front of the other for a couple of months .

I find its all about habit . Once I get the habit back I'm all in but the first two weeks you really have to force yourself out the door ! Pick a nice goal and go for it! This time of year mind I'm always motivated by budging the xmas bulge.

Glad to see you back. You're right about habit. Part of the reason I did better when I was working full time was that I did a lot of runmutes so didn't think about it, I just heading out and ran as I had to get to work.

So I started the Grad base plan and have done the first two runs which both went well.

04/02: 45 mins easy - 6.8km@6:38 HR 158. I stupidly forgot to check the pace for easy for this plan but when I got home and checked it, it was fine. I'm so used to running by HR but it seems most of the paces match the HRs I was running at. I find running for a set time rather than a distance is easier psychologically but I found myself running around in circles at the end as I was close to home but still had a few minutes left to go!

05/02: 1 hour progression - 9.6km@6:13 HR 168. The progression was from easy to moderate (assuming MP is moderate pace and not marathon pace!). Half way through I sped up and cursed myself for chosing a route that has an uphill second half in to the wind! Still managed a good increase in pace and finished feeling good.

Now I just have to keep up the momentum. I'm meeting a friend tomorrow so can't back out. I'll have a look at what races are coming up and try and make a more long term plan.
    Thanks all for your encouragement, it's amazing how a few words can make all the difference.

All going well here and managing to keep up the momentum.

06/02: 45 mins easy. I met a friend in marlay Park for this and had to keep telling her to slow down! It ended up a bit faster than my easy pace but I was still able to chat the whole time so it wasn't that fast! Also had gymnastics in the evening doing lots of core and arm work.
    7.2km@6:19 HR 165

Two long days at work meant I didn't get out but felt tired so think the rest helped.

09/02: 90 mins easy. I had two hours to kill on the northside so decided to do my long run. I had checked out a map before as I don't really know the area but once I started running I found I recognised some of the landmarks from visiting my grand parents as a child. Things like the house close to the railway bridge near fairview that I thought looked like a fairytale castle! I headed out to the coast and back to DCU. Really enjoyed that run!
    14.45km@6:15 HR 171 (too fast!)

11/02: 45 mins very easy. Took this very easy. It's probably the slowest run I've done in a long time. Very pleasant though up to the water works. Spring has definitely sprung up there. 6.42km@7:01 HR 153

12/02: 45 mins moderate. I had to collect a package so grabbed a rucksack on the way out. The package was bigger than I thought a D the bag was rubbing my neck so didn't enjoy this much. I should have warmed up and cooled down on top of the 45 mins moderate but I just wanted to get home. 7.43km@6:05 HR 168.

Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I know that castle house, on the Howth Road. Unless it’s a different one! Nice running all round, the plan seems to be suiting.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I know that castle house, on the Howth Road. Unless it’s a different one! Nice running all round, the plan seems to be suiting.

Yes, that's the one. I've hadn't seen it years but recognised it straight away.

Yes plan is going well, I think running by time suits me.

14/02: 45 mins very easy. I find it hard to stick to the very easy pace but sometimes when it's very windy it's not so hard! 6.77km@6:49 HR 155

16/02: 90 mins easy. I was out at DCU again so decided to explore more of the North side. Headed up Howth Road through Raheny to visit by grandparents old house. So much has changed since the eighties but I still recognised the place! I felt a bit emotional remembering walking to mass with my nana. She's long gone now but I still miss her so much. 14.1km@6:23 HR 163.

18/02: 1 hour very easy. Did a loop of dodder Valley Park. Don't really remember much from this run! 8.66km@6:43 HR 153.

19/02: 1 hour progression. I kind of cheated by picking a route that's uphill for the first half and downhill for the second making a progression run a bit easier. It was gorgeous up at the reservoir and it felt easy to speed up. Really enjoyed this run. 9.77@6:17 HR 164.

20/02: 1 hour very easy. Another very easy run where I struggled to go slow enough! It was a lovely morning and I kept having to check my watch and slow down. I checked out the new paths in Sean Walsh Park as part of the Dublin mountain way. You can run (or walk!) all the way from Tallaght stadium up past the reservoir now with hardly any of it on the road. 8.8@6:43 HR 153.

Was working Thursday and Friday and then got another tummy bug Friday night which left me dehydrated and exhausted on Saturday.

24/02: 50 mins alternating 1 min fast/1min easy. I had thought I'd just do 45 mins easy after being sick but once I got out it was a gorgeous day and I felt good. I also had my brand new sauconys on which gave me an extra boost. Saw Raycun and his protégés doing their drills and hill sprints. 8.68@6:03 HR 168.

A bit down on distance this week thanks to sickness but not too bad overall. I'll do my long run tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I will be out to check on that Dublin Mountain Way Path C. Sounds great. Red Luas...run.. Green Luas.

denis b wrote: »
    I will be out to check on that Dublin Mountain Way Path C. Sounds great. Red Luas...run.. Green Luas.

That's a good idea, it's very close to the Tallaght Luas stop.
    Here's the website https://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/
    I've only ever done Tallaght to glenasmole but I'd love to try and make it to the Hellfire club one day.

• Advertisement

25/02: 1:45 easy. It was a fabulous day with glorious sunshine but not too warm so perfect for running. I headed along the Dodder full of the joys of spring! 16.22km @6:26 HR 156

Two days of work but did 90 mins of gymnastics on 27/02.

28/02: 55 mins moderate. I was tired after gymnastics the night before and two long work shifts so tricked myself in to going out and doing 45 mins easy. Once I got warmed up I did the 55 mins moderate! These psychological tricks seem to work for me so I'll keep it up. Once I got going it was enjoyable and I was happy with the pace. 9.52km@5:56 HR 162

01/03: 60 mins very easy. I was a bit later starting than planned so had to cut it short slightly as I had plans. 7.5km@6:57 HR 147. Happy to see the HR going down.

03/03: 50 easy with last 5mins @ threshold. A bit wet and cold but at least I avoided the heavy snow which arrived later! Threshold is 5:13-5:05 for me. I had the watch on auto lap so I'm not sure what my exact pace for the last 5 mins was but my watch told me I did my fastest 1k in 4:36 so I was probably on the fast side. I'm just not used to running fast any more I find it hard to gauge paces. 9.25km@6:29 HR 156.

04/03: 1:45 easy. This weeks long run was a far cry from last week. I felt tired and cranky before I even got out. The paths still had a bit of snow so decided to take a route along the main roads where they were clearer. I decided to try an audio book for a long run but the traffic along the main road was so loud I couldn't hear properly. I ended up heading back to my usual park (the paths were grand there as it turns out) but I was annoyed as I'd no route planned so I ended up running laps. Although I enjoyed listening to the book (Sapiens) I didn't enjoy the run and think I'll keep the two separate. 15.2km@6:46 HR 149.

Not a bad week. The distance in February is the highest in a long time. I feel like I've gotten in to the groove of it now I have a plan. Only two more weeks left of base building then I'll start the 5/10k plan. I should be able to give the Tallaght 5k a good go by May and I might try the mini marathon in June. If not I'll find another 10k. Would love to do the K club 10k but it's on a Saturday which is no good for me right now.

06/03: 70 mins progression (easy to MP). Cheated again by heading uphill for the first half. It didn't really go as planned though as I slowed a lot on some of the hills, then tried to overcompensate and went too fast. The downhill was a bit fast too so although the first half was faster than the second it wasn't a lovely even slope of splits I've seen on other people's progression runs.
    11.7km@6:27 average (6:58-5:40) HR 158.

09/03: 1hr very easy. Not much to say. Made an effort to keep it slow.
    8.7km@6:55 HR 153.

10/03: 50 mins easy including 4*200m@5k pace. Headed out in glorious sunshine and blue skies, did the reps in a hail storm then ran home in the sun again! I'd calculated I should do 200m in 55s. Reps were 47/55/55/54. First one was a tester!
    9.1km@6:47 HR 153

11/03: 2 hours easy. Lovely run out to Marley Park around and back. My longest run in a long time. I managed to keep the pace fairly even although I did have to actively slow a few times.
    18.5km@6:30 HR 154.

Once again I'm only getting 4 runs per week. I could have run on Tuesday but I'll was tired after three days in a row and felt I needed a rest day. The problem is the days I work I find it very hard to get out. Hopefully once the evenings get a bit brighter I can do at least one after work run to make it up to 5 per week.

I tried audio books when running and didn't like it either. Sapiens is a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

06/03: 70 mins progression (easy to MP). Cheated again by heading uphill for the first half. It didn't really go as planned though as I slowed a lot on some of the hills, then tried to overcompensate and went too fast. The downhill was a bit fast too so although the first half was faster than the second it wasn't a lovely even slope of splits I've seen on other people's progression runs.
    Ah but it's all about the progression of effort really isn't it? Which it sounds like is exactly what you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    Ah but it's all about the progression of effort really isn't it? Which it sounds like is exactly what you did!

This exactly, progression of effort. How did the HRM reading look - i bet you could a steady increase there corresponding to the increase in effort?

Well done, maybe only 4 runs but they are quality runs.

Thanks eyrie and ariana. Now that you say it the heart rate did increase so I guess it's better than I thought!

I'm getting lazy at updates again, but I'm still running which is the important thing!

12/13 March: working so no runs. I did 90 mins gymnastics on the 13th.

14/03: met up with a friend in marley but we started late and had to meet others after so only managed 30 mins. 5.2km@5:51 HR 165.

15/03: Kids were off school which always messes with my running plans! Was supposed to do one hour very easy. Managed 52 mins before having to rush back to taxi child to event.
    8km@6:31 HR 158.

16/03: was out the night before and didn't even manage to get dressed. Never drinking again. (not true!)

17/03: St Patrick's day run up to the waterworks. Great run and managed to miss the rain. 50 mins easy with last 5@tempo.
    8.7km@6:23 HR 154

18/03: bank holiday and lots of family activities so no run but a fair bit of walking.
    This was the last day of the base building plan which was supposed to be another 2 hour run. I decided to miss it and go straight onto the 5/10k plan. I'm really pleased with the base building and so happy I managed to complete all 6 weeks even though I didn't do all the runs. My HR is getting lower and I feel much fitter. I bet I'm bursting with mitochondria now!

19/03: 1 hour very easy. Made a concerted effort to slow down and was happy with the pace. 8.6km@7:01 HR 149

20/03: 8*1min hills. Did a 15 min warm up to the hill opposite the speaker Connolly. It's a short sharp hill on one side and a longer more gradual one on the other. I'm not used to 1min hills so it was a guess where to start. Did the first in 55s but found it hard so kept the same distance and went slightly slower. I did 2 min walk back recoveries. By the 7th one I was wrecked but managed the last in 55s again before heading home.
    9km@6:59 HR 148 (plus 90 mins gymnastics later that evening)

21&22/03: work again. Was feeling the doms after the hills and gymnastics and sitting for 10 hours in front of a computer didn't help. I guess it's a kind of recovery. I was groaning like a geriatric every time I had to stand up. I really could have done with a recovery run but it didn't happen.

23/03: squeezed this in while child was training. Should have been one hour very easy but was only 54 mins.
    7.8km@6:54 HR 152

24/03: 25 min tempo. Hadn't done a tempo in ages but was looking forward to it. The only window for this was 2 hours after a big meal which wasn't ideal. Got a stitch during warm up and considered heading home but decided to try a bit of tempo at least. Ended up doing the whole 25 mins and hit my paces but felt uncomfortable and won't be doing that in a hurry again. Tempo pace is 5:30-5:20 and I did the 25 mins in an average of 5:23 so happy with that.
    8.3km@5:57 HR 167.

25/03: 1:45 easy. I was still tired after the previous run but I guess that's part of the plan! Headed over to tymon which was very pleasant. I find it much easier running on an empty stomach!
    16km@6:33 HR 153.

Happy now but exhausted!

26/03: rest

27/03: 90 mins gymnastics. Managed to do a chin up for the first time! I know it's not much but it's an improvement!

28/03: 6*3 mins @CV (4:58-4:52km/min). Did this on a run in to work for a change. It was just the right distance. I was lucky with the timing of the intervals as a few of them were on steep downhills but tried to keep the effort the same. They were a bit all over the place! The interval paces were 4:50/5:09/5:03/4:52/4:58/4:48. Total 11.3km HR 170

29/03: 1 hour very easy. 8.6km@6:55 HR 151

30/03: Should have run and could have run but decided on a nice walk instead. Was out in DCU so ended up heading to St Anne's. What a gorgeous Park, will definitely head back again. Saw the BHAA 4 mile race go past which made me feel guilty!

31/03: 5*5mins @threshold (5:13-5:05) Had to go into work for a while so combined it with a trip to phoenix Park. I stupidly thought the weather would be like the previous days but it was freezing and I was only in shorts and t shirt. Ran past a few runners in wooly hats and gloves but warmed up once I got going. Interval paces were 5:08/5:06/5:10/5:08/5:03 which I was really happy with. It's a lot easier keeping to the right pace on the flat! I really like threshold runs, I feel like I'm going fast but it's not too challenging. Total 11.7km HR 164

01/04: 1:45 easy. Really didn't feel like this after cake and cava for mothers day the previous day. Headed up to the waterworks then up through Glenasmole. It's so scenic up there which cheered me up no end. I realised I've been lucky enough to visit St Anne's, Phoenix Park and Glenasmole all in three days. Three really beautiful parts of Dublin. On the way back down ran past a gaggle of Japanese tourists taking loads of photos.
    16.1km@6:31 HR 165

Happy with this week. 183km for March which is my highest month since I did the marathon in 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

27/03: 90 mins gymnastics. Managed to do a chin up for the first time! I know it's not much but it's an improvement!

Well done, it's the first one that's the hardest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

26/03: rest

I realised I've been lucky enough to visit St Anne's, Phoenix Park and Glenasmole all in three days. Three really beautiful parts of Dublin. On the way back down ran past a gaggle of Japanese tourists taking loads of photos.
    16.1km@6:31 HR 165

Happy with this week. 183km for March which is my highest month since I did the marathon in 2016!

Good times here C. That chin up is no small achievement. Takes more than a modicum of prep and stubbornness :). Power on.

And totally with you on how good we have it in a city with so much to see. Keep running :)

• Advertisement

Any progress or did you retire after the chin up? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Any progress or did you retire after the chin up? :)

Lol! Yeah, I felt like I'd reached my peak so gave up!

Actually, I'm on holidays and have no WiFi so only getting intermittent access to boards. Will write a proper post when I get a chance.

After a great March I'm not doing so well in April!
    I can't even remember why I did no running from 1st to 6th April but I'm sure there was some rubbish excuse!

06/04: 45 easy. 6.7km@6:45 HR 154

08/04: 1:40 easy. 15.5km@6:31 HR 154. This run keeps haunting me as the time got corrupted on my watch so every day since it tells me I ran it "today".

11/04: 6*2min @AP. Despite missing loads of runs I thought I should do a session and it went OK. My AP pace is 4:40-4:46. My intervals came in as 4:28/4:33/4:35/4:38/4:34/4:36 so all too fast but I felt good. I'm finding it hard to get the paces for this plan. It's partly due to all the easy runs I've been doing but also because I've never done AP or CV paces before. I guess it's just practice.
    Total 9.3km

12/04: 1h very easy. 8.7km@6:52 HR 149

13/04: Tymon parkrun. Due to the Easter holidays we had no classes today so I dragged the family to parkrun. To say they were unenthusiastic would be an understatement! The plan was for my husband to walk it and I'd take the kids and run at their pace. 200m in the 8 year old wanted to stop as the wind was too strong. To be fair it was quite breezy and the first section is uphill but I made her keep going (mean mammy!) We managed a bit of jogging once we were on the downhill section but when we finished the first lap she begged me to leave her at the playground with her big brother (who was happy of the excuse not to continue!) I took off and did the second lap on my own. By the time I finished I found my husband at the playground too as he'd seen the kids after his first lap and didn't want to leave them on their own (ie didn't want to do the second lap either!) So our of 4 of us I was the only one to actually cover 5k! 5km@7:34 HR 137

14/04: 4*6@threshold. I was aiming for 5:13-5:05. After the too fast last session I really tried to get the paces right. Ended up doing 5:05/5:02/5:07/5:04 which was a bit better.
    Total 10.7km.

16/04: 1h easy. Did this on Banna strand in Kerry which is absolutely gorgeous. The tide was out and there was miles of firm sand and amazing views. Was supposed to be very easy pace but went a little too fast as per usual! 8.9km@6:40 HR 149.

18/04: 1h easy. I had planned to run more on holidays and had all my sessions on my watch but holiday laziness combined with a sinus infection meant I didn't get out. Although this was an easy run I felt rotten despite the views. 8.7km@6:48 HR 153.

So now I'm home still feeling rubbish, probably due to far too much alcohol and junk food. I've missed a load of runs so think I'll repeat a couple of weeks. I'll be glad to get back into normal routine.

While I wasn't running on holidays I managed to read a good bit. I read "North" by Scott Jurek about running over 2000 miles on the appalachian trail in 46 days. He tore a quad in the first week but kept going. I made me wonder what makes someone keep going under those circumstances when I give up on an easy run as I have a sinus headache? I'm now reading "The Passion Paradox" which is co written by Steve Magness about what drives passions and how to balance them. I'll let you know if I find the answer! :)

Bad end to April, but improving in May.

29/04: 1h easy. 8.5km@6:53 HR 147

01/05: 1h easy 8.6km@6:51 HR 154
    90 min gymnastics

05/05: 15 min tempo/4 min recovery/10 mins threshold. The aim for tempo was 6:29-6:20 and threshold 5:13-5:05. Managed 15 mins @5:21 and 10 mins @5:08 so happy with that. Total 9.8km

06/05: Had to pop into work for a bit so headed to Phoenix Park after. Its the busiest I've ever seen the park, cars everywhere which isn't nice. I did get to hear a tiger roaring though which always makes me smile! This was supposed to be a 1:45 easy run but I was in work longer than planned and was starving so called it a day after 1:25. 13.5km@6:22 HR 166.

08/05: no run but 90 mins gymnastics

09/05: 8*1min hills/2min recovery. These ended up as average 57s hills but I'm sure it makes no difference! I think I took it a bit fast though as my calves were aching after.
    Total 8.5km

10/05: 1h very easy. 8.9km@6:45 HR 157.

13/05: supposed to be a long run but I felt awful so canned it after 4km. I hindsight I was dehydrated after plenty of alcohol over the weekend and a day of running around Tayto Park (where I actually got a bit of sun burn!) My calves were really tight so went home and foam rolled and did a core workout instead.
    4km@7:00 HR 149

14/05:1h easy. Calves felt fine. 8.8km@6:48 HR 149

15/05: 5*3 mins @AP (3 min recovery). AP=4:40-4:46. Split paces were 4:43/4:52/4:46/4:41/4:48.
    9.8km
    90 mins gymnastics

18/05: 30 min easy. 4.6km@6:35 HR 155

19/05: Tallaght 5k. 23:26 (chip and watch were the same! PB! Feckin delighted as I really didn't think I'd get a pb after all the runs I missed. Will try and write a report when the kids are in bed.

That's brilliant, C - congrats on the PB! Look forward to the report.

Tell us more about the gymnastics too when you have a chance. Is this something you've been doing all your life?

Tallaght 5k 2019
    My previous 5 k PB was 23:49 but that was Jingle bells 2018 which I'm not sure counts as its mainly downhill. My fastest flat 5 k was the day of Pb's last July where I did 24:00, but it nearly killed me!

I'd been following the grad plan for the last few weeks but got lazy over Easter and am only getting back to consistent running now. I only really did about 4 weeks of the plan properly so wasn't expecting any miracles.

The weather was perfect, mild but overcast and just a slight breeze. I live 3km from the club so it was a nice warm up. Left the house at 10, race at 11 and was home by 12!

Set off nice and easy and gradually sped up. To be honest I don't remember much apart from the usual, "why am I doing this?" thoughts every now and then.

The route was new to me and the first time I'd been through Tallaght University. The only issue was the ramps in the uni that were a real pain especially on the second lap. I also got caught out thinking the finish was at the club house so sprinted towards it only to remember there was still a lap of the track to go! At that stage I just went for it and my final km was by far my fastest. Splits were 4:53/4:47/4:45/4:48/4:22. I always wonder with finishes like this should I have started out faster. Anyway, I was delighted with 23:26.

I really think the gymnastics has helped my running. I did it for a few years as a kid but gave up when I was about 9. I'm pretty rubbish at it but it's great fun and the strength and conditioning has made me noticeably stronger. There's a lot of core and shoulder work which I think has helped my posture. I noticed in the last 1km today as I was trying to pick up speed my posture was quite good. Usually by the last km my shoulders are hunched which makes everything harder. I'll definitely be keeping it up for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

PB - well done! Brilliant, particularly when it sounds like you weren't expecting it to turn out like that. Sounds like you definitely could go quicker next time too if you had that much left for the final km.

I love hearing about the gymnastics too, and it stands to reason it would help the running I would assume, but it's very encouraging to hear you say you can feel the difference from it in the race too.

Yay! PB. Well done again :)

The 5k pb gave me a real mojo boost so I've decided I'm going to go for the race series focusing on the half in September. I'm going to give the Hanson half plan a go. I've also signed up for the 10k and 10 mile which I'll try and slot on to the half plan.

I've had the Hanson book for ages now but keep getting put off by the 6 days of running per week. I'm going to give it a good go for a few weeks and see how I get on. Already this week I had to move stuff around. I had altered the plan to do the long run on Mondays as I'm always off work but then realised I'd be doing speed sessions on Wednesdays which doesn't suit as I've gymnastics as well as a 12h work shift every second week. I ended up doing the speed session the day after the long run which isn't ideal. I'll figure it out.

Week 1 starts midweek
    24/05: Plan 6.5k easy. Actual 6.5k@6:32 HR 161. Pace was in the easy range but HR was high and it felt tougher than it should be.

25/05: Plan 5k easy. Actual no run. Drove to Clare and was staying with relatives so didn't get a chance. Bad weekend to start a new plan!

26/05: Plan 6.5k easy. Actual 6.5k@6:25 HR 152. HR back to normal despite being faster run than Friday.

27/05: Plan 9.5k "long" run. Actual 10k@6:11 HR 158. A few loops of Marley Park. It was so nice I forgot to stop at 9.5k! I've converted the distances from miles so they're not exact.

Week 2
    28/05: plan 6.5k easy. Actual 12*400m speed. Swapped with the next day on the plan as I knew I'd not get it done tomorrow. I used the relatively flat path that runs along the luas track at Tallaght hospital. The first one was way too fast as I wasn't really sure how hard to run, just that I was aiming for 1:55 per lap. Eased off after that, got wrecked, increased the recovery slightly then gunned it on the last one. Not great but got them all done! 1:47/1:56/1:56/2:03/1:52/1:59/1:59/2:00/1:58/1:57/1:58/1:52
    Recoveries were 1:40-2:00.
    Total 12.5 km

• Advertisement

Well done - you found the pace for the 400s soon enough. Yep, best to do SOS runs back to back. Can you not shift the gymnastics?

Advertisement