Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you climate proof?

Options
  • 25-05-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭

Climate change is happening (source = science). Do you think your local area is going to be impacted, or is it something that won't affect

Is climate change going to be
    1. Good
    2. Meh
    3. Bad
    4. alarming

Can people answer this poll please?

Are the greens winning? 85 votes

Climate change isn't a problem
    51% 44 votes
    Climate change is a bit of a problem
    9% 8 votes
    Climate change is a major problem
    4% 4 votes
    Climate change is the biggest problem
    18% 16 votes
    none of the above
    15% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

bollocks to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'm burning plenty of turf this year in the hope that next year I won't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We'll be wiped out by ourselves or a natural disaster, we are overdue several large volcanic eruptions and earthquakes going by geographical records, long before we destroy the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We ie. Collectively myself included are a plague on this planet the sooner we are extinct the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is it not ironic that the people who started this movement were also the people who started the whole movement to get out your lighter during a good song. They might shout about the environment in public but at home they are burning two lighters while listening to Angel by The Kelly Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Can I just be a complete knob and say that climates have always changed, it's anthropogenic climate change which I believe is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Akrasia wrote: »
    Climate change is happening (source = science).

Saturated fat is bad for you (source = science).
    Saturated fat is good for you (source = science).

Science is just a tool. That it was used to gather the information which led to someone arriving at a hypothesis doesn't therefore mean that the hypothesis is a correct one, even when, and if, that hypothesis goes on to be held by the consensus................ the consensus has been wrong before, and no reason to think it cannot be wrong again.

Is it wrong on this issue? Maybe. Maybe Not. Just making the point that "Science" is not infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

franglan wrote:
    Can I just be a complete knob

Of course you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I quite like climate change. A change is as good as a rest my mother used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Is it a prerequisite to be a Protestant to be a leading member of the Green Party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I certainly believe in natural climate cycles and given the speed of change, I believe plant and animal life including human is more than capable of adapting to the world we arrive into.
    I believe the green agenda is being pushed for taxation. I would much rather attention be paid to toxic gases being released into atmosphere than taxing carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

We ie. Collectively myself included are a plague on this planet the sooner we are extinct the better.
    Why do you want to be wiped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

It's all a load of bollix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I sold my cow, so I won’t be responsible for her farts and belches anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    I sold my cow, so I won’t be responsible for her farts and belches anymore.

But you will still be responsible for your own, including the ones you deny and the ones you get blamed for in error. This is standard in Ireland and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why do you want to be wiped out?

If you believe we are responsible for the destruction of the environment why shouldn't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

bollocks to the environment.

What has it ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Climate change has always been with us and even before us. The big problem we now have is that some people are starting to vote for lunatics that claim we/they can control the weather even to the extent of brainwashing young impressionable children into believing that they're doomed - "the last generation" nonsense.

That's what we should really be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My house is about 600m from the seafront, with a bit of luck I might have a beachfront property in 20-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

franglan wrote: »
    Can I just be a complete knob and say that climates have always changed, it's anthropogenic climate change which I believe is happening.

Is the problem not that we have warped normal/natural climate change that is killing many species and may even lead to our own destruction? I thought most scientists agreed on this? You can correct me as I’m not over educated on this topic.

Feels like even if there was a 10% chance (its much higher then that, yes?) that our actions are having massive knock on effects on the planet that we don’t really know how they will play out, that we should still do something to mitigate this potential threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

amcalester wrote: »
    My house is about 600m from the seafront, with a bit of luck I might have a beachfront property in 20-30 years.

I was very nearly buying a house close to the sea a few years ago. One evening I said I’d have another look at it and to my shock there was a very high tide and the sea had completely risen over the road outside it and was about 20ft from the front door. That was that idea scrapped. No wonder it was going for handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Watch now as we get crucified in Green taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Watch now as we get crucified in Green taxes.

Which will make **** all difference as long as China, India, Brazil et al keep pumping out pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is it a prerequisite to be a Protestant to be a leading member of the Green Party?

Seeing as the last and current leader were not protestant, I'd say no

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This weekend will be seen as a watershed ( pun intended) moment, farmers are going to be really attacked now, FF and FG like to steal other parties clothes, can see thousands of acres being planted in trees in the near future

I think that's a good idea personally as beef farming is a loss making business for 90% of farmers but things are going to be even more divisive in terms of the urban rural split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I was very nearly buying a house close to the sea a few years ago. One evening I said I’d have another look at it and to my shock there was a very high tide and the sea had completely risen over the road outside it and was about 20ft from the front door. That was that idea scrapped. No wonder it was going for handy money.

Maybe I should get the topographical map out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Who ever put us here didn’t think of that, we were put here for a reason otherwise we’d have been put on the moon or some other planet. You can cry about it all you like but that is a fact.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you believe we are responsible for the destruction of the environment why shouldn't we?

And if you don’t?

amcalester wrote: »

Don’t worry your little head about it, Al Gore went off and bought 3 seaside mansions after crying to the world about sea levels rising 20 feet. Do you think he believes the nonsense that he spouts?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Speak for yourself, I love my life and don't want to die. You could always kill yourself if you hate humanity that much.

I'm with the other guy. I'm striving to finish this place off asap

Advertisement