Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance spraying from house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You mean they will see clearly how thick headed farmers are?

More like how little joe public knows of the tech and techniques of how foods are produced, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a few years since i completed the pesticide spraying course, but from memory i think the buffer zone is 10m, there are exceptions to that with drift reducing nozzles for example.
    Pesticide/fertilizer is very expensive, spraying it in "windy" conditions is of no benefit to anyone most of all the farmer.

This fella is known to be like a big child with toys, any excuse to show off the gear, farming is all he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

This fella is known to be like a big child with toys, any excuse to show off the gear, farming is all he does

It sounds like you have spoken or discussed this lad with everyone and anyone from the local area, but have never spoken to him. It's only 20 past 9. Drop over to him and ask him for a chat.

pablo128 wrote: »
    It sounds like you have spoken or discussed this lad with everyone and anyone from the local area, but have never spoken to him. It's only 20 past 9. Drop over to him and ask him for a chat.

I would never dare show up uninvited at someone's house, will bump into him soon enough when he's over spraying for the tenth time since planting

I would never dare show up uninvited at someone's house, will bump into him soon enough when he's over spraying for the tenth time since planting
    Remember your appropiate ppe.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Clean-Powered-Purifying-Respirator/dp/B00JFBT7M2
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dupont-TYCHEM-STD-CHA5-YELLOW/dp/B00PC8VGG2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

• Advertisement

I already know your fine with poisoning people, you don't need comedy props to confirm the point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

These disagreements are always the best ones.

I can't wait to read about it in The Independent.
    Just be aware op how some of them end up.

Yes - I think so too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4icMkZkAeQ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What’s the expected outcome here.

If OP chats with the farmer and the reply is “yep, your grand that’s all safe and spray is being applied properly”

Will you be happy with that reply OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

_Brian wrote: »

I think we all know the answer to that.

What’s the expected outcome here.

If OP chats with the farmer and the reply is “yep, your grand that’s all safe and spray is being applied properly”

Won't be happy until he stops spraying, he can plant barley up a lane, far away from someone's house

I'll apply pressure in various ways, I'm sick myself this weekend, I've quite severe allergies, to food and other things, lungs are easily effected, use inhalers since I was a child, son also on inhalers

Do none of this lightly but know how inconsiderate, entitled and arrogant, farmers are

• Advertisement

I already know your fine with poisoning people, you don't need comedy props to confirm the point

Ppe in someones work place is a very serious matter. Do you not take health and safety seriously?

Won't be happy until he stops spraying, he can plant barley up a lane, far away from someone's house

I'll apply pressure in various ways, I'm sick myself this weekend, I've quite severe allergies, to food and other things, lungs are easily effected, use inhalers since I was a child, son also on inhalers

Do none of this lightly but know how inconsiderate, entitled and arrogant, farmers are

I know no one has said it yet, but why did you buy a house in the countyside? Didn't you know that crops are grown, and animals raised there? Now you want a farmer to leave land idle just for you?

Ok so please don’t start by calling me names I was asking a genuine question.

Can I ask how do you plan to go about stopping him spraying. Since there is a crop in place you realise there will be a substantial financial loss if spraying is stopped.

I appreciate your position that you don’t like the spraying, but, if all safety precautions as set in law are being met you may have no way to force the farmer to do something that will result in a severe financial loss.

I know no one has said it yet, but why did you buy a house in the countyside? Didn't you know that crops are grown, and animals raised there? Now you want a farmer to leave land idle just for you?

Not at all, he can graze it like he used to prior to last year

Not opposed to growing crops but you have to put the health of people above incomes, if he had any decency, he would not do what he is doing in the first place, no one has carte blanche to do as they please, even farmers

Not at all, he can graze it like he used to prior to last year

Not opposed to growing crops but you have to put the health of people above incomes

Evidence is key here and not anecdotal evidence.
    If he has kept to and possibly exceeded the distances required as shown by tram lines in the field. Where will the evidence come from to stop the tillage use of the field ?

Ok so please don’t start by calling me names I was asking a genuine question.

Can I ask how do you plan to go about stopping him spraying. Since there is a crop in place you realise there will be a substantial financial loss if spraying is stopped.

I appreciate your position that you don’t like the spraying, but, if all safety precautions as set in law are being met you may have no way to force the farmer to do something that will result in a severe financial loss.

I did not call you a name!

I don't intend to block him harvesting this years crop but he will be informed later that he has no right of way

I don't intend to block him harvesting this years crop but he will be informed later that he has no right of way

Me being a “farmer” you said I was ignorant , inconsiderate and arrogant.
    Check your post.

What’s the story on the right of way ?? Is he accessing the field illegally at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Op you said yourself earlier that you have no problem with the man spraying fertilizer, now you won’t be happy till no more spraying at all, yet you still don’t know whether the spray being used is herbicidal, pesticidal or fert.
    Go talk to the man, farmers are people too and if you have a genuine concern then any reasonable person will do whatever he can to allay your fears or remedy the problem.

But if your whole argument is “I don’t like it so it must stop, or I’ll go to department” then you will be treated like the small child you are appearing to be, and told to shag off.

Is it any wonder farming people can be seen as ignorant and pig headed when people are so ready to launch a full on attack on their livelihood without ever trying the diplomatic approach??

If some head the ball landed into my place of work and demanded that I pack up and leave without trying to reach a reasonable conclusion I’d be quick enough to tell take a running jump too.

Fair will be met with fair.

Talk to the farmer.

Evidence is key here and not anecdotal evidence.
    If he has kept to and possibly exceeded the distances required as shown by tram lines in the field. Where will the evidence come from to stop the tillage use of the field ?

Is the buffer zone measured from the start of the neighbours property or the actual house belonging to the neighbour?

The headland is 40 metres from my front door but he has the headland planted so the distance between his barley and the boundary with me is no more than two metres, I have a field surrounding my house with sheep in it

• Advertisement

Me being a “farmer” you said I was ignorant , inconsiderate and arrogant.
    Check your post.

I was speaking in the general use of the term, was not personally addressing you, I'm a farmer myself technically

What’s the story on the right of way ?? Is he accessing the field illegally at the moment ?

Seems so, when he used to keep cattle on this land, he never drove up our road - lane

Only discovered the last stretch is private today, one other farmer has a right of way

I was speaking in the general use of the term, was not personally addressing you, I'm a farmer myself technically

When you come onto a farming forum and call “farmers” meaning all farmers ignorant, entitled and inconsiderate you can be sure we all read that and think “**** you and the horse you rode in on”

I can’t answer your query on the buffer zones.

Seems so, when he used to keep cattle on this land, he never drove up our road - lane

Only discovered the last stretch is private today, one other farmer has a right of way

Renting the land likely gives him temporary right of way.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Op you said yourself earlier that you have no problem with the man spraying fertilizer, now you won’t be happy till no more spraying at all, yet you still don’t know whether the spray being used is herbicidal, pesticidal or fert.
    Go talk to the man, farmers are people too and if you have a genuine concern then any reasonable person will do whatever he can to allay your fears or remedy the problem.

But if your whole argument is “I don’t like it so it must stop, or I’ll go to department” then you will be treated like the small child you are appearing to be, and told to shag off.

Is it any wonder farming people can be seen as ignorant and pig headed when people are so ready to launch a full on attack on their livelihood without ever trying the diplomatic approach??

If some head the ball landed into my place of work and demanded that I pack up and leave without trying to reach a reasonable conclusion I’d be quick enough to tell take a running jump too.

Fair will be met with fair.

Talk to the farmer.

I do know he was spraying on Friday as the same guy is managing the other farmers crop, know this other man fairly well and spoke to him today, got the guy in questions number off him but no reply, other farmer planted for the first time this year but won't be planting next year

I don't know if some visits to the field involved spraying fertiliser but it was definitely pesticides two days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He was a great oul character. :)

Imagine what he'd be like on the internet.

https://youtu.be/J7Rhws_K2RY

Do you not remember posting a thread 5 months ago where you you said the farmer only has access so far up the lane, and to access the land further up he has to use a different entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You asked about distances to house in the OP, you got an answer from many people - the legal limit seems to be less than the distance from the field to your house, so the farmer is doing nothing wrong...

When advised to just go inside, to avoid it - you poked holes in this option as well...

You have been told numerous times to talk to the farmer, it was even said go down now and have a chat with him...
    But even though you give it loads about your health, it seems it’s not as high a priority to go out of your way to meet him. Instead, you will wait for him to come to you...

Then, you finish with calling all farmers ‘inconsiderate, entitled and arrogant’

I am inclined to agree with the poster who said you’re just trolling... think there is no spray problem, nor house, nor farmer, nor illness, nor son...

When you come onto a farming forum and call “farmers” meaning all farmers ignorant, entitled and inconsiderate you can be sure we all read that and think “**** you and the horse you rode in on”

I can’t answer your query on the buffer zones.

I grew up on a farm, I've worked on farms in new Zealand, in general that's how I've found them, was not intending to personally slight you

I got called a fcukwit earlier and a poor parent so it appears to be no place for the precious

• Advertisement

Do you not remember posting a thread 5 months ago where you you said the farmer only has access so far up the lane, and to access the land further up he has to use a different entrance?

I do not recall that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement